Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ugh. I disliked that keyboard. Maybe due to its US layout and its stupid enter key. But the keys always felt sub par to me. But I prefer it to a lot of keyboards (including my laptop's keyboard, which I hate (yeah, I didn't buy my laptop, my company did!)), but I guess it is because it felt like it could have been something more, but wasn't. Get what I mean?

I don't believe in ergonomic keyboards, use better editors instead, but most importantly dont have the same keyboard at work and home so you dont get RSIs. we got some stock logitech keyboards at work and home I use a G15. macbook keyboards are also excellent for coding.

I agree with that philosophy. Because it is an additional pleasure to get home to my awesome keyboard after been using my company's quite annoying Dell keyboard. What I am getting more and more frustrated about are keyboards re-arranging the special keys above the arrow keys to save space. It's a desktop keyboard, you have infinite space! I get the notion on a laptop, though.

What helped me a lot regarding keyboards and wrists was that time waaaay back when I keymapped my CAPS key to be an extra control key. Man, I love it. Emacs commands now fly!

Emacs commands

I actually bad wrists and hands during last year at uni. it was Emacs fault. too many stupid keybinds. I switched to Vim and felt good after just a week or two.

I actually bad wrists and hands during last year at uni. it was Emacs fault. too many stupid keybinds. I switched to Vim and felt good after just a week or two.

All I know of vim is ":q". So that I can get out of that hell if I accidentally stumble into it :p

Oh, follow-up question: What do you guys code in? And what would you guys like to be able to code in, if you had 100% knowledge of that editor/IDE?

I know that the scripters seem to like Notepad++, from an earlier question.

Oh, follow-up question: What do you guys code in? And what would you guys like to be able to code in, if you had 100% knowledge of that editor/IDE?.

we code in visual studio. personally I'd like if I could work 100% in textmate, but its mac only.

Oh, follow-up question: What do you guys code in? And what would you guys like to be able to code in, if you had 100% knowledge of that editor/IDE?

I know that the scripters seem to like Notepad++, from an earlier question.

I still use Ultraedit though.. It was popular a few years ago, so we bought licenses then, but now people here prefer notepad++.

I wouldn't rule it out. It would reduce costs a lot, and since about 90% of you guys buy from Steam, it would be natural to base things around it. And I'm one of the owners of GG.
That... would really be a slap in the face to loyal customers. Do not underestimate how important software being DRM-free is to many of us.

I still use Ultraedit though.. It was popular a few years ago, so we bought licenses then, but now people here prefer notepad++.

Interesting, never heard of that texteditor. Well, notepad++ is free, so I guess that suits you. A penny saved is a penny earned! :)

Emacs and Vim are easy to use:

Emacs:
Ctrl+K Ctrl+X nano

Vim:
:q! nano

That... would really be a slap in the face to loyal customers. Do not underestimate how important software being DRM-free is to many of us.

True. But steam isn't a DRM really.

the other 90% would continue unaffected

The unaffected others??

Well that depends on how Steam and PI want to handle the nonSteam issued games of the DRM-free loyalists.

I see an acculturation process developing.

I could learn to live with the restrictions -- implied and not implied.

But seeing that it would be best that [more of a good thing] gets implemented than to not implement it (or to implement less of it), I wonder what will become of the nonDRM games people currently have through, for example, GG. Will those games be converted to Steam-versions? Neocore, if I recall correctly, gave attention to one of its DLC-driven titles: King Arthur. That is what Shams meant, I believe. How DLC-driven a title is (or will be) will determine its...rector.

But why limit the goodness to a few titles?

I can dig the new wave.

Full Steam ahead Captain, my Captain.

Last edited:
You are confusing Steam for Steamworks.

Can you (or anyone) elaborate for those of us not in the know?

I hate using wiki, but as per wiki:

Steam:
1) is a digital distribution, digital rights management, multiplayer and communications platform developed by Valve Corporation
2) allows developers and publishers to change prices and restrict game availability depending on the user's location. This can cause some games to cost more than retail prices, despite digital distribution removing the [some] costs
3) Valve also restricts game registration and playability to the buyer's country of residence. One example of this regional restriction can be seen where Valve uses Steam's authentication to prevent boxed versions of their games sold in Russia and Thailand, which are priced significantly lower than elsewhere, from being used outside those territories
4) Steam offers products in four currencies: US Dollar, Euro, Pound Sterling and Russian Ruble. The currency is selected automatically based on the user's location, and cannot be changed. Steam has been heavily criticized by European users for pricing games much higher in Eurozone countries

And Steamworks:
1) a freely available application programming interface (API) that provided development and publishing tools to game developers, allowing them to take advantage of the Steam client's features. Specifically, Steamworks provides means of games to integrate with the Steam client, including networking and player authentication tools for both server and peer-to-peer multiplayer games, matchmaking services, support for Steam community friends and groups, Steam statistics and achievements, integrated voice communications, and Steam Cloud support; the API also provides for anti-cheating devices and digital copy management

I don't see any difference. :unsure:

Can you (or anyone) elaborate for those of us not in the know?

I hate using wiki, but as per wiki:

Steam:
1) is a digital distribution, digital rights management, multiplayer and communications platform developed by Valve Corporation
2) allows developers and publishers to change prices and restrict game availability depending on the user's location. This can cause some games to cost more than retail prices, despite digital distribution removing the [some] costs
3) Valve also restricts game registration and playability to the buyer's country of residence. One example of this regional restriction can be seen where Valve uses Steam's authentication to prevent boxed versions of their games sold in Russia and Thailand, which are priced significantly lower than elsewhere, from being used outside those territories
4) Steam offers products in four currencies: US Dollar, Euro, Pound Sterling and Russian Ruble. The currency is selected automatically based on the user's location, and cannot be changed. Steam has been heavily criticized by European users for pricing games much higher in Eurozone countries

And Steamworks:
1) a freely available application programming interface (API) that provided development and publishing tools to game developers, allowing them to take advantage of the Steam client's features. Specifically, Steamworks provides means of games to integrate with the Steam client, including networking and player authentication tools for both server and peer-to-peer multiplayer games, matchmaking services, support for Steam community friends and groups, Steam statistics and achievements, integrated voice communications, and Steam Cloud support; the API also provides for anti-cheating devices and digital copy management

I don't see any difference. :unsure:

Nothing wrong with Wikipedia. Only fools dislike the effort that is Wikipedia.

Moreover, Steamworks is an API developers can use to ensure the DRM features of Steam, along with other things, such as the multiplayer channels, achievements, etc. (as your source correctly mentions). Steam does not necessarily provide DRM without explicit toggling of the feature from the developer and/or publisher.

e.g. downloading EU3 via Steam will allow you to play EU3 without Steam.