• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #115 - Great Work

keyart-w-logo.jpg

Hello!

Today we have some exciting news, which is that we will be releasing the latest update for Crusader Kings 2 ‘Great Works’ on April the 2nd, which will be completely free. If you haven’t been following the dev diaries so far, this update will focus on various magnificent buildings you can construct, as well as existing historical ones.

I can also now confirm that we will be having 3D models of the wonders on the map. Several of these will be unique models while others will use a generic model for those constructions that don’t quite fit into a clear category. Either way, you will have a way to locate your magnificent wonder at a glance.

8hbc_eLwr1iVHjN7Ac_X652v2f7YvzvQXJwi50zs8K5Uzx7wb412Vm447feftKZgPVhd-n5O18e2V4Yvc-9KAnAif9690bp0nuvOXSFdUCrktvKglPqaMivOV8r4lowkewzON--q

Pyramid Model

WApxNSrQVDu58EFUU_UeKGF8ZFV83swbB1gr2MxbFsQmxQtRpDvp_SLAWx-jt6M8gdmbzqk23rhjD4Idcv4duhM-iA4b6VFykHffCW6Y20-8eaPzA-hAxtb8JHlR4ML2ecPq6sIf

Ruler Statue Model

Lastly for today, we will show off a few of the wonders you haven’t seen before.

The Mausoleum it is a place to honor the dead rulers, and can even be used to intimidate friends and foes alike.

hCFpe0rEPmPvMbjha9zI_ei3u8EPRxgB0JfsmwJv2HLvhta3Y4UenD4S5BtVrQ4kbqs-qnVXLn7-61xtZLYoIVGWFby6QZdQA0_jY0hfTSY0zdOne71WP65Sf0Spqpzaz0BCI-b9

The Mausoleum

ck2_11.jpg

A Mausoleum Event

9YOH4azOl8tCYr7i_qm4Ox71lEC6EdfCIaFD1wUDJpGS-1Zdt4J0595_c5KJB7j5YYLye8TaSguSOIKLi5KZCyEVosSBEyXxES9W9tk-sd9gFU6tHBZVzduOqq7zd3cX8YvBAAh3

Grand Lighthouse

_pkxsrj9MhOknu1L1P_F_kKOyVJafTjoU9KpY77dsyOT3BjNjMC2v88JOIfpESQ5nZz4lRv2MViOysyKUGl2kfiHV-y8tzFMolWtT6uUBGo-lGmUCQ_utGFjnhR4gtttQbUOmJwF

Statue

Thanks for reading, if you have any questions feel free to ask them below. We will also hopefully start streaming next week so stay tuned for that.

Last edited:
Gorgeous.

Would be sweet to have something like this in EUIV as well. :p
One of the devs confirmed that converting a ck2 save will now turn completed wonders into province modifiers in the eu4 game. Seriously stoked for that cause I love playing mega-campaigns. We just need in Kemetism and Celtic Paganism and an Imperium-CK2 converter and thats an additional 1000 hours of gameplay per game. At least for me.

One of the devs confirmed that converting a ck2 save will now turn completed wonders into province modifiers in the eu4 game. Seriously stoked for that cause I love playing mega-campaigns. We just need in Kemetism and Celtic Paganism and an Imperium-CK2 converter and thats an additional 1000 hours of gameplay per game. At least for me.
Was thinking of some of the map items... :p

Wishful thinking would have CK wonders appear in HOI if those structures survived long enough in the mega-campaign.

Will ‘honoring the dead’ event pop up in totally inapprioprate places – like e.g. in the very case that was shown for showcasing the events?... (Hindu rulers weren’t ‘buried’, you know, they were cremated – and ashes thrown into river… You can have cenotaph, sure, but that’s neither 'mausoleum' nor ‘burial’.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered switching the 'Fort Holding' for a button and using that slot for the Wonder? It would be cool to see it directly on the province interface! I have made two exemples;

View attachment 460155

Or for an historical one,
View attachment 460156

I have put the 'Fort Button' next to the River / Trade Route info! This is only a proposition but tell me what you think!
Wonders will be visible directly in the province view =)

It's been interesting reading everyone's proposals for pre-existing wonders these past few DDs. Some have been really cool. For me, tho, the really exciting thing about this patch is the prospect of making your own stamp on the world. The Pyramids of Lhasa await.

Also—and apologies if this has been asked before—will wonders be destructible?

Can wonders be raided?

Also for fantasy settings will there be curses for opening tombs?

Will buried saints have bonuses if they are plundered?

Sorry I am confused, is this a mini update now or a bigger addon? or just part of a bigger DLC?
What constitutes a "mini update" or a "bigger addon" is a bit subjective, but it will be a free patch where the main new feature is the wonder system.

Wonders will be visible directly in the province view =)
That's great! Thank you for the reply, so hyped for this patch!
One last question then; Will Mont Saint-Michel be a historical wonder? It seems like a perfect pick for a monumental construction that evolved during the time period of the game, it's even on the Bayeux Tapestry! (Plus, for having visited it, it really is something to behold)

This is Great!

Will nomads, vikings, raiders, etc be able to raze or loot these wonders?
What about secret societies, can they also have a wonder?
Could the devil worshippers society rob a tomb of your ancestors?

Will ‘honoring the dead’ event pop up in totally inappropriate places – like e.g. in the very case that was shown for showcasing the events?... (Hindu rulers weren’t ‘buried’, you know, they were cremated – and ashes thrown into river… You can have cenotaph, sure, but that’s neither 'mausoleum' nor ‘burial’.)

I would almost certainly say that will never happen. When they implemented the Mass Conversion Events, they made sure that each religious group got their own flavor, so that converts to Zoroastrianism weren't dunked in a river like Christians (Zoroastrians, IIRC, did this thing involving belts and water). I am certain they'll implement identical measures where needed. What would be way cooler would be that each religion can have its own death Wonder!

Say, for example, a colossal tower for Zoroastrians or a mausoleum for Hindu urns...

I would almost certainly say that will never happen. When they implemented the Mass Conversion Events, they made sure that each religious group got their own flavor, so that converts to Zoroastrianism weren't dunked in a river like Christians (Zoroastrians, IIRC, did this thing involving belts and water). I am certain they'll implement identical measures where needed. What would be way cooler would be that each religion can have its own death Wonder!

Say, for example, a colossal tower for Zoroastrians or a mausoleum for Hindu urns...
Well, what am I to tell you? Whole Indian region strikes me more as ‘we’re getting to include Indiana Jones jokes on Kali!’ than ‘we did our research’. Honestly, I’d rather Rajas of India didn’t exist, as this region neither meaningfully interacts with rest of the map, nor is implemented good with respect to local specifics.

Anyway, like I said, ‘ashes dumped down the river’ part kindu precludes keeping of urns. Sure, there are exceptions – like you e.g. various holy men are being buried (though I shan’t digress) – but they aren’t really applicable to playable rulers. You can mostly have cenotaphs – that is monuments honouring someone, yet without containing body, ashes or whatnot.

Wow, didn't know that. :oops:

Hopefully the number of wonders available per county will eventually go up in the future then, because I'd still love to restore the Library! :D
Without the texts the library is just a building and also the library was just a part of the Museion, the temple of the muses, the first institute of higher learning in human history. Thta's what made it special but in the ck2 period there are a dozen Madrasas which are inspired by it (well indirectly).

There could be a neat thing with irminsul, where if its burned down you can replant a seed from it to regrow. Giving a large MA buff as it becomes a symbol of renewal and how the Christians can attack all they like but the Old Gods will endure and rebound.
Would be even cooled if when Irminsul falls the priests spitit away a cutling that they take deeper into pagan territory to grow a new world pillar.
Also there should be ruined versions of some wonders like the Irminsul site.
I also still think the wonder system should replace the static holy sites.
Have you considered switching the 'Fort Holding' for a button and using that slot for the Wonder? It would be cool to see it directly on the province interface! I have made two exemples;

View attachment 460155

Or for an historical one,
View attachment 460156

I have put the 'Fort Button' next to the River / Trade Route info! This is only a proposition but tell me what you think!
That's a really cool idea.

Last edited:
Hindu Mausoleum: AFAIK, Hindus burn their dead, they don't bury them and hence don't build mausoleums. That would go entirely against their belief. The many mausoleums one can find in India today are all Islamic.

I would recommend linking monuments plausibly to cultures and religions.