• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #115 - Great Work

keyart-w-logo.jpg

Hello!

Today we have some exciting news, which is that we will be releasing the latest update for Crusader Kings 2 ‘Great Works’ on April the 2nd, which will be completely free. If you haven’t been following the dev diaries so far, this update will focus on various magnificent buildings you can construct, as well as existing historical ones.

I can also now confirm that we will be having 3D models of the wonders on the map. Several of these will be unique models while others will use a generic model for those constructions that don’t quite fit into a clear category. Either way, you will have a way to locate your magnificent wonder at a glance.

8hbc_eLwr1iVHjN7Ac_X652v2f7YvzvQXJwi50zs8K5Uzx7wb412Vm447feftKZgPVhd-n5O18e2V4Yvc-9KAnAif9690bp0nuvOXSFdUCrktvKglPqaMivOV8r4lowkewzON--q

Pyramid Model

WApxNSrQVDu58EFUU_UeKGF8ZFV83swbB1gr2MxbFsQmxQtRpDvp_SLAWx-jt6M8gdmbzqk23rhjD4Idcv4duhM-iA4b6VFykHffCW6Y20-8eaPzA-hAxtb8JHlR4ML2ecPq6sIf

Ruler Statue Model

Lastly for today, we will show off a few of the wonders you haven’t seen before.

The Mausoleum it is a place to honor the dead rulers, and can even be used to intimidate friends and foes alike.

hCFpe0rEPmPvMbjha9zI_ei3u8EPRxgB0JfsmwJv2HLvhta3Y4UenD4S5BtVrQ4kbqs-qnVXLn7-61xtZLYoIVGWFby6QZdQA0_jY0hfTSY0zdOne71WP65Sf0Spqpzaz0BCI-b9

The Mausoleum

ck2_11.jpg

A Mausoleum Event

9YOH4azOl8tCYr7i_qm4Ox71lEC6EdfCIaFD1wUDJpGS-1Zdt4J0595_c5KJB7j5YYLye8TaSguSOIKLi5KZCyEVosSBEyXxES9W9tk-sd9gFU6tHBZVzduOqq7zd3cX8YvBAAh3

Grand Lighthouse

_pkxsrj9MhOknu1L1P_F_kKOyVJafTjoU9KpY77dsyOT3BjNjMC2v88JOIfpESQ5nZz4lRv2MViOysyKUGl2kfiHV-y8tzFMolWtT6uUBGo-lGmUCQ_utGFjnhR4gtttQbUOmJwF

Statue

Thanks for reading, if you have any questions feel free to ask them below. We will also hopefully start streaming next week so stay tuned for that.

Last edited:
Hindu Mausoleum: AFAIK, Hindus burn their dead, they don't bury them and hence don't build mausoleums. That would go entirely against their belief. The many mausoleums one can find in India today are all Islamic.

I would recommend linking monuments plausibly to cultures and religions.
They could use it to house the ashes, or perhaps just mark the spot a great person was burned at.

Really excited about this update! I've seen a few people ask questions similar to mine, namely, will we have event chains/decisions to rebuild old wonders? I'm thinking the Temple of Serapis, Library of Alexandria, Colossus of Rhodes, etc. Keep up the great work.

Well, what am I to tell you? Whole Indian region strikes me more as ‘we’re getting to include Indiana Jones jokes on Kali!’ than ‘we did our research’. Honestly, I’d rather Rajas of India didn’t exist, as this region neither meaningfully interacts with rest of the map, nor is implemented good with respect to local specifics.

Just because it's a dirty part of history doesn't mean it exists. Also, it's not ancient history. The last known human sacrifice in India, to Kali, was in 2015 AD (see below).

There are numerous cannibal cults in India, who enjoy eating human brains the most. They do this as an act of worshiping chaos, as that specific cult defies the Caste System, can be comprised of Untouchables, and rejects any and all hierarchies.

While human sacrifice is not required by the goddess Kali, it is accepted. Blood sacrifice or food offerings are mandatory, and that is normally accomplished by animals or pumpkins. Sacred texts explicitly demand "Vegetal Oblations" and "Animal Oblations" to be sacrificed to Kali, and for the latter, that is in blood. Thus, it is incorrect to say that Kali wants human sacrifice. She allows for it, but wants animal and food sacrifices.

However, human sacrifice is considered the most potent offering. The last known, and confirmed, human sacrifice to Kali was in 2015 AD, performed on a toddler. Kali demands the annual sacrifice of food or blood annually. There are places in India considered to be cursed, and its people consumed by evil, who have Tantrik clergy that demand human sacrifice if animal sacrifice doesn't go far enough. (These people are hated.)

Keep in mind, though, that Hinduism is not one religion. It's a religious group. Thus, the Kali denomination is separate from, say the denomination chiefly backing Vishnu or the Shaktists, which means no action done by the Kali denomination can be put on all of Hinduism. There are even Hindus who believe in a monotheistic structure, with each god being "branches" of one single divine being. Which being that is depends on the denomination.

Heres a question, any planned wonders/wonder upgrades for some/all of the animal kingdoms?

Say a fortress controlled by dragon culture can get a hoard, which increases county taxes and fortification level, or something

So... about the lighthouse structure:

The one in Alexandria is THE big deal, of course, do the game work other lighthouses as buildable? I supose it probably shouldn't be upgradeable up to the same level as the Alexandrian but I was thinking about the "Farum Brigantium" (the Lighthouse of Brigantium), currently known as "The Tower of Hercules", in A Coruña, Galicia. It is a Roman lighthouse dating from at least the 2nd century CE and built upon Phoenician and Celtic ruins. Even though it never being as big a deal as the Lighthouse of Alexandria, the Farum Brigantium remained a historical landmark of the region and it currently is (as far as the legend goes), the last lighthouse from the Roman era to still be in operation.
It is said that it kept working up until late in the Medieval era, being turned into a fortress for a few centuries before being restored to being a lighthouse. It still works.

I mean, what I was thinking is... anyway to build a big lighthouse in A Coruña? Or to be a small/medium one there already that could be slightly upgraded ingame?

There are numerous cannibal cults in India, who enjoy eating human brains the most. They do this as an act of worshiping chaos, as that specific cult defies the Caste System, can be comprised of Untouchables, and rejects any and all hierarchies.

I read all the articles you linked to and none of them said anything about eating human brains, let alone that sadhus enjoy them the most. You seem to be putting forward a negative representation of tantra. Maybe you don't truly understand it, but this is not solely a Hindu practice, similar tantric practices are performed by Buddhists and Muslims as well.

What are limits for building new wonders ?
Is here any limit by religion or goverment type which limits what can you build ? Or all free for all ?

well I assume you wont be seeing the Byzantines building the dome of the rock in Constantinople or the Abbasids making grandiose mosaics depicting Mohammed's life inside the Hagia Sophia in mecca...

Same with the Aztecs building Gothic cathedrals and Normans building giant mesoamerican pyramids.

I read all the articles you linked to and none of them said anything about eating human brains, let alone that sadhus enjoy them the most.

My apologies, I left that one out because I was trying to give a more in-depth explanation of my view than mere attention-grabbing. Here you go.

Will this break save games started in the last month or so?

Probably maybe but historical wonders wont be generated. You can use the "show dev responses" to easily see, well, dev responses.

On the whole 'Probably' a few things like Historical wonders won't be though.

I know there will be a dev diary today...
I should have checked this thread first before making my thread. Now I am a doubly sad (red) panda.

Hindu Mausoleum: AFAIK, Hindus burn their dead, they don't bury them and hence don't build mausoleums. That would go entirely against their belief. The many mausoleums one can find in India today are all Islamic.

I would recommend linking monuments plausibly to cultures and religions.

I speak as someone from a Sikh background (ie a crematory culture), Sikhs do have several temples to commemorate the death places of the various Sikh gurus (prophets), martyrs and saints. Not to mention that the renown Sikh emperor Ranjit Singh built a mausoleum to house his ashes which now resides in Lahore, Pakistan. Admittedly Sikhism does fall outside of the games time-frame but I'm sure Hindus have similar views in this regard.