• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So folks, we are releasing the fifth expansion to Crusader Kings II, on Monday next week; Sons of Abraham. In the previous dev diaries, I have gone through the various features we've added in the expansion, so today I'll speak of the 2.0 patch. Usually when we release expansions for Crusader Kings II, we add a lot of free stuff in the patch as well, and this time is no exception. It's almost funny how many features we plan for the expansions that we end up putting in the patch instead, simply because they alter the core gameplay too much. Now, where to begin?

Perhaps the biggest - yet quite subtle - change we did was to reduce the amount of levies you get, particularly from your vassals. There are several changes to the rules; first off, levies from outside your de jure capital region get progressively smaller in stages (county, duchy, kingdom, empire, outside). Secondly, vassals will not give you any levies if they don't have a positive opinion of you (previously the threshold was -25). On the other hand, you now always enjoy a big opinion boost if you are being attacked by foreigners, particularly by infidels. This means that you can usually raise something approaching your theoretical max while being attacked, but not when you are doing the attacking. (Incidentally, this also means that factions tend to be less dangerous while the whole realm is under threat.) Lastly, the ruler's martial skill has a direct and significant effect on the size of the levies that can be raised from his or her demesne.

CKII_SoA_DD_04_Levies.jpg

We have also added whole new feature to improve the military side of the game; terrain bottlenecks. This is a system where the defending side in a battle has sometimes found suitable terrain before combat commences. The chance of this depends on the main province terrain and leader skill (there is even a new commander trait for this.) Each flank may have a narrow approach, preventing the attackers from attacking in numbers greater than the number of flank defenders (their number at the start) during the melee phase. The main reason we added this feature is that being outflanked is now much, much more devastating than it used to be, particularly if you are being outflanked from two directions, or through your (fallen) center. We have also updated all mercenaries and holy orders so they actually have three regiments instead of one (and can thus fill a battle line on their own.) Mongols and Aztecs also arrive with more but smaller regiments, etc. What else? Oh yes, we unleashed Wiz (Martin Anward, who improved the EUIV AI) on the military AI to see if he could kick it up a notch...

CKII_SoA_DD_04_Bottleneck.jpg

CKII_SoA_DD_04_Mercenaries.jpg

Another really nice thing with the 2.0 patch is of course the addition of Ironman mode, like in Europa Universalis IV. To complement this, we added 50 Steam achievements that you can only get in Ironman mode. The multiplayer metaserver, however, will be discontinued. RIP.

Now, as you know, playing Crusader Kings II is a pretty cheerful and lighthearted experience, so we thought it was high time to bring in some much needed tragedy. Thus, there is now a chance that women might die in childbirth, either at once or after a period of illness. Infants can also be born "Sickly" (new trait), which means it is unlikely they will live past their third year. Surprisingly, we are not simply doing this out of pure malice; there are interesting gameplay effects where marriage alliances can suddenly be reset and you don't know if your sickly heir will actually survive to adulthood.

When characters convert religion, there is now a chance they will be tolerant of their old faith. These are new traits which affect the opinions of both the character and of other characters. For example, a former pagan king might get no opinion penalty versus pagans, nor will they of him.

CKII_SoA_DD_04_Tolerance.jpg

I know I'm forgetting stuff here, but you can all read the change log for yourselves when I post it. Needless to say, it's full of bug fixes and modding improvements as well.
And in case anyone missed it, Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham will release the 18th of November.
That's all for now, but there will be a live stream with yours truly on Tuesday, the day after release!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh come on. Some bought the game on GG for no particular reason. I preordered EU4 and got a Steam copy for myself, so I am good to go, but I had nothing against Steam back then and bought CK2 on GG without knowing anything about the complaints that had had Paradox put in a GG version. I would even say that a minority of the GG clients actually were in the complainers group.

This. I had spare Blue Coins on GamersGate, that's why I bought it there. And now I find myself having less features than Steam players :(

Well, at least I have the base game on Steam from the Pre-order of EU IV. if I copy-paste the DLCs in the folder, should it work?

It should. To back up my earlier statement, here is Lord Johan:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...p-Workshop&p=16059896&viewfull=1#post16059896

People, if you already have all the DLCs on GG but have a Steam copy (EUIV preorder) you can copy over the DLCs to the Steam CK2 DLC folder (same dlc_signature file). Not sure how legal it is though.

100% legal, and perfectly acceptable. Those DLC are verified to be owned by you on that machine.

This. I had spare Blue Coins on GamersGate, that's why I bought it there. And now I find myself having less features than Steam players :(

Well, at least I have the base game on Steam from the Pre-order of EU IV. if I copy-paste the DLCs in the folder, should it work?

Yes it should. And paradox is fine with it. They have no problem if you do so.

Awesome changes. Childbirth mortality and tolerance of old faiths interests me. Perhaps it should be possible to gain the tolerance traits if one has been ruling, or has lived with, infidels for a while.

I wonder if it is possible to mod the childbirth mortality rate?

Hm, yes I suppose it will make blobs less threatening to medium-sized nations. But I don't think the small guys are going to get any beter. If anything they will become an even more obvious target. If an emperor feels too weak to attack a king they he'll attack a minor. Harder medium-sized targets means relatively easier small-sized ones. Of course the player ususally gets at least medium-sized ina century. But again what of the poor AI? Are not-big AI plauers going to exist solely for the blobs and the player to chew on (yes, I know that's pretty much the case already)?

All of the changes to levies are irrelevant if retinues haven't been aggressively nerfed.

This sounds great! I have a question from previous Dev diaries though, do Jews and Orthodox rulers have pilgrimage events too? And my other question is how are bottlenecks represented? (are they shown up like river icons on the panel?)

I wonder if it is possible to mod the childbirth mortality rate?

He already said all changes are fully moddable

If you are lowering the amount of levies, will you lower the size of event armies (mongols, rebels, pretenders, etc.)?

In regards to ironman saving to the cloud. Could you perhaps optimize that?
I've been thinking maybe you could upload checksums instead of the full savegame itself. I know it's not perfect, but in my mind better than what we currently have.

About the capitals - is it the de jure capital or your actual capital where you get the most levies?

The de jure capital of England is Middlesex, but what if my capital is York instead? Can I still get full levies from York?

Interesting. The standard respone so far to the complaint about low child mortality was that it was balanced by lower fertility.

Seems like blobbing is going to be even more inevitable. If I read this right, then attacking realms of similar size will become more difficut, which means that everyone will try to grow by eating smaller states and you'll need to blob like crazy just to have a chance at taking out big guys like the HRE in an offensive war.

I think blobs will actually be less threatening, in the short run. Take, for example, the Byzantines: They go retake Egypt, that incredible source of troops in-game. Wonderful. Prior to this patch, they'd just have to wit the few years for the conquest penalties to wear off, before being able to raise some pretty substantial levies from their new conquest. Now, however, since Egypt starts off as outside of the De Jure Byzantine Empire, they'll basically have to wait a century before they can fully utilize Egyptian manpower.

Same goes for the Abbassids invading Persia, the various over-eager/lucky norse raiders, etc. etc. Everyone will have to be more methodical and gradual with their conquests, if they're looking to use them as recruiting areas.

Oh my god, all these changes are great. Levies nerf, religious tolerance, infant mortality and death during childbirth...

I have a question though: does the religious tolerance only apply to converted characters or is it used more widely, for example to make the Khazars as a whole tolerant of their pagan subjects?

I think blobs will actually be less threatening, in the short run. Take, for example, the Byzantines: They go retake Egypt, that incredible source of troops in-game. Wonderful. Prior to this patch, they'd just have to wit the few years for the conquest penalties to wear off, before being able to raise some pretty substantial levies from their new conquest.
Actually their is some sort of bug that allows you to quickly raise full armies from newly conquered territories, ever since they change fewer levies into slower levy reinforcement. Apparently the penalty does not apply properly to liege levies.

If you are lowering the amount of levies, will you lower the size of event armies (mongols, rebels, pretenders, etc.)?

Seeing as Mongols will more likely than not be the attacker and infidels, unless you're playing as the Cumans, you'd most likely be able to achieve max levies during a Mongol attack due to the new increased relationship bonus.

Rebels, adventurers and faction armies scale by levy size somehow (I don't know the actual values), so they should change indirectly.