• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So folks, we are releasing the fifth expansion to Crusader Kings II, on Monday next week; Sons of Abraham. In the previous dev diaries, I have gone through the various features we've added in the expansion, so today I'll speak of the 2.0 patch. Usually when we release expansions for Crusader Kings II, we add a lot of free stuff in the patch as well, and this time is no exception. It's almost funny how many features we plan for the expansions that we end up putting in the patch instead, simply because they alter the core gameplay too much. Now, where to begin?

Perhaps the biggest - yet quite subtle - change we did was to reduce the amount of levies you get, particularly from your vassals. There are several changes to the rules; first off, levies from outside your de jure capital region get progressively smaller in stages (county, duchy, kingdom, empire, outside). Secondly, vassals will not give you any levies if they don't have a positive opinion of you (previously the threshold was -25). On the other hand, you now always enjoy a big opinion boost if you are being attacked by foreigners, particularly by infidels. This means that you can usually raise something approaching your theoretical max while being attacked, but not when you are doing the attacking. (Incidentally, this also means that factions tend to be less dangerous while the whole realm is under threat.) Lastly, the ruler's martial skill has a direct and significant effect on the size of the levies that can be raised from his or her demesne.

CKII_SoA_DD_04_Levies.jpg

We have also added whole new feature to improve the military side of the game; terrain bottlenecks. This is a system where the defending side in a battle has sometimes found suitable terrain before combat commences. The chance of this depends on the main province terrain and leader skill (there is even a new commander trait for this.) Each flank may have a narrow approach, preventing the attackers from attacking in numbers greater than the number of flank defenders (their number at the start) during the melee phase. The main reason we added this feature is that being outflanked is now much, much more devastating than it used to be, particularly if you are being outflanked from two directions, or through your (fallen) center. We have also updated all mercenaries and holy orders so they actually have three regiments instead of one (and can thus fill a battle line on their own.) Mongols and Aztecs also arrive with more but smaller regiments, etc. What else? Oh yes, we unleashed Wiz (Martin Anward, who improved the EUIV AI) on the military AI to see if he could kick it up a notch...

CKII_SoA_DD_04_Bottleneck.jpg

CKII_SoA_DD_04_Mercenaries.jpg

Another really nice thing with the 2.0 patch is of course the addition of Ironman mode, like in Europa Universalis IV. To complement this, we added 50 Steam achievements that you can only get in Ironman mode. The multiplayer metaserver, however, will be discontinued. RIP.

Now, as you know, playing Crusader Kings II is a pretty cheerful and lighthearted experience, so we thought it was high time to bring in some much needed tragedy. Thus, there is now a chance that women might die in childbirth, either at once or after a period of illness. Infants can also be born "Sickly" (new trait), which means it is unlikely they will live past their third year. Surprisingly, we are not simply doing this out of pure malice; there are interesting gameplay effects where marriage alliances can suddenly be reset and you don't know if your sickly heir will actually survive to adulthood.

When characters convert religion, there is now a chance they will be tolerant of their old faith. These are new traits which affect the opinions of both the character and of other characters. For example, a former pagan king might get no opinion penalty versus pagans, nor will they of him.

CKII_SoA_DD_04_Tolerance.jpg

I know I'm forgetting stuff here, but you can all read the change log for yourselves when I post it. Needless to say, it's full of bug fixes and modding improvements as well.
And in case anyone missed it, Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham will release the 18th of November.
That's all for now, but there will be a live stream with yours truly on Tuesday, the day after release!

Last edited by a moderator:
We'll still be able to use IP based multiplayer, in the interim though, right? Or will all multiplayer be shut down until the Steam system comes online?

Also, odds that the Steam MP comes in the same patch as the decadence fix?

99% sure that you will still be able to host and join direct IP games by yourself, as you did before. That has nothing to do with Paradox or with remote servers.

I wasn't being serious - it seems my sarcasm is particularly bad today. Maybe I should start using some kind of sarcasm mark at the end of my sentences.

I highly doubt it'd be disabled. It doesn't require any resources on Paradox's side, so it'd be very odd to deny us the opportunity to use it. As I've never used the Metaserver and always use direct IP, this doesn't bother me.

And I am sorry - I get snappy around the subject, and "let them out who cares" is not a rare attitude around.

Interesting. The standard respone so far to the complaint about low child mortality was that it was balanced by lower fertility.

Seems like blobbing is going to be even more inevitable. If I read this right then attacking realms of similar size will become more difficut, which means that everyone will try to grow by eating smaller states.

I never really had any problems with fertility so far, i was easily able to have my family branch out quite quickly as long as i controlled who my children and to an extend who my siblings married. So i don't expect a little female childbirth or infant stillbirth to be too hard to handle.

But who knows, maybe i'll be proven wrong.

IP based multiplayer will be unchanged, they appear to only be taking out the Metaserver thats been broken for some centuries. Also its brilliant news that Steam multiplayer is coming at some point, hopefully soon.

Fabulous news! I always love seeing new traits.

I never really had any problems with fertility so far, i was easily able to have my family branch out quite quickly as long as i controlled who my children and to an extend who my siblings married. So i don't expect a little female childbirth or infant stillbirth to be too hard to handle.

But who knows, maybe i'll be proven wrong.
It's hard to have fertility problems, because human player gets extra fertility, which is perfectly fine, and all. After all not having an heir is very annoying and not a fun experience. But what of the poor AI?

This is great stuff but...

...marrying between different faiths if excellent relations ? please pretty please !!!

It's hard to have fertility problems, because human player gets extra fertility, which is perfectly fine, and all. After all not having an heir is very annoying and not a fun experience. But what of the poor AI?

Yeah, i do find that a surprising number of AI houses do die out quite quickly in my games already :(

I highly doubt it'd be disabled. It doesn't require any resources on Paradox's side, so it'd be very odd to deny us the opportunity to use it. As I've never used the Metaserver and always use direct IP, this doesn't bother me.

Same here. I was just wondering if they might be removing some of the underlying code, if it is shared between the direct IP and metaserver MP options. That is, I could see it being disabled as a side effect of removing the metaserver, to be eventually replaced by a Steam friends list based direct MP system.

Interesting. The standard respone so far to the complaint about low child mortality was that it was balanced by lower fertility.

Seems like blobbing is going to be even more inevitable. If I read this right, then attacking realms of similar size will become more difficut, which means that everyone will try to grow by eating smaller states and you'll need to blob like crazy just to have a chance at taking out big guys like the HRE in an offensive war.

I interpret it the opposite way that if you are a King you will now have somewhat more troops relative to an Emperor but somewhat less relative to a Duke e.g.

If it was previously

Duke 5k
King 25k
Emperor 100k

Then it might now be

Duke 5k
King 20k
Emperor 60k

This will hopefully make it easier to deal with blobs but on the otherhand it may make it more likely you are overthrown by a faction or have harder to quash indie revolts.

I interpret it the opposite way that if you are a King you will now have somewhat more troops relative to an Emperor but somewhat less relative to a Duke e.g.

If it was previously

Duke 5k
King 25k
Emperor 100k

Then it might now be

Duke 5k
King 20k
Emperor 60k

This will hopefully make it easier to deal with blobs but on the otherhand it may make it more likely you are overthrown by a faction or have harder to quash indie revolts.
[Considering numbers from the second example. An abstract 75% agressor's levy]
But you will only be able to raise full 20k as King in aggressive war if you have perfect relations with everyone, while the Emperor will be able to raise almost all 60k as long as he's the defender. So a king attacking an Emperor will be about 15k vs 60k. Similarly a king attacking a duke will be 15k vs 5k. Not particularly good choices. So what will happen? King does nothing Emperor attacks 45k vs duke 5k. Duke loses, emperor blobs. Kings remains the same.

Last edited:
How are you going to deal with GG customers?

Meh personally I'm moving over to steam with the next steam sale.. already got the base game with EU4

[Considering numbers from the second example. An abstract 75% agressor's levy]
But you will only be able to raise full 20k as King in aggressive war if you have perfect relations with everyone, while the Emperor will be able to raise almost all 60k as long as he's the defender. So a king attacking an Emperor will be about 15k vs 60k. Similarly a king attacking a duke will be 15k vs 5k. Not particularly good choices. So what will happen? King does nothing Emperor attacks 45k vs duke 5k. Duke loses, emperor blobs. Kings remains the same.

If you only have 75% levies then it is 4-1 the same ratio as in the original, however, if you make all your vassals happy then it is 3-1. It is worth considering the other way round. In this case you get 20k vs. his 45k. if you can get a few allies then you have a much better chance of fending off a blob.

I think a new strategy may become to wait for someone to attack you, try to kill off as many troops as you can in the defensive war and then immediately launch a counter war when his troops are depleted.

If you only have 75% levies then it is 4-1 the same ratio as in the original, however, if you make all your vassals happy then it is 3-1. It is worth considering the other way round. In this case you get 20k vs. his 45k. if you can get a few allies then you have a much better chance of fending off a blob.

I think a new strategy may become to wait for someone to attack you, try to kill off as many troops as you can in the defensive war and then immediately launch a counter war when his troops are depleted.
Hm, yes I suppose it will make blobs less threatening to medium-sized nations. But I don't think the small guys are going to get any beter. If anything they will become an even more obvious target. If an emperor feels too weak to attack a king they he'll attack a minor. Harder medium-sized targets means relatively easier small-sized ones. Of course the player ususally gets at least medium-sized ina century. But again what of the poor AI? Are not-big AI plauers going to exist solely for the blobs and the player to chew on (yes, I know that's pretty much the case already)?