• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So folks, we are releasing the fifth expansion to Crusader Kings II, on Monday next week; Sons of Abraham. In the previous dev diaries, I have gone through the various features we've added in the expansion, so today I'll speak of the 2.0 patch. Usually when we release expansions for Crusader Kings II, we add a lot of free stuff in the patch as well, and this time is no exception. It's almost funny how many features we plan for the expansions that we end up putting in the patch instead, simply because they alter the core gameplay too much. Now, where to begin?

Perhaps the biggest - yet quite subtle - change we did was to reduce the amount of levies you get, particularly from your vassals. There are several changes to the rules; first off, levies from outside your de jure capital region get progressively smaller in stages (county, duchy, kingdom, empire, outside). Secondly, vassals will not give you any levies if they don't have a positive opinion of you (previously the threshold was -25). On the other hand, you now always enjoy a big opinion boost if you are being attacked by foreigners, particularly by infidels. This means that you can usually raise something approaching your theoretical max while being attacked, but not when you are doing the attacking. (Incidentally, this also means that factions tend to be less dangerous while the whole realm is under threat.) Lastly, the ruler's martial skill has a direct and significant effect on the size of the levies that can be raised from his or her demesne.

CKII_SoA_DD_04_Levies.jpg

We have also added whole new feature to improve the military side of the game; terrain bottlenecks. This is a system where the defending side in a battle has sometimes found suitable terrain before combat commences. The chance of this depends on the main province terrain and leader skill (there is even a new commander trait for this.) Each flank may have a narrow approach, preventing the attackers from attacking in numbers greater than the number of flank defenders (their number at the start) during the melee phase. The main reason we added this feature is that being outflanked is now much, much more devastating than it used to be, particularly if you are being outflanked from two directions, or through your (fallen) center. We have also updated all mercenaries and holy orders so they actually have three regiments instead of one (and can thus fill a battle line on their own.) Mongols and Aztecs also arrive with more but smaller regiments, etc. What else? Oh yes, we unleashed Wiz (Martin Anward, who improved the EUIV AI) on the military AI to see if he could kick it up a notch...

CKII_SoA_DD_04_Bottleneck.jpg

CKII_SoA_DD_04_Mercenaries.jpg

Another really nice thing with the 2.0 patch is of course the addition of Ironman mode, like in Europa Universalis IV. To complement this, we added 50 Steam achievements that you can only get in Ironman mode. The multiplayer metaserver, however, will be discontinued. RIP.

Now, as you know, playing Crusader Kings II is a pretty cheerful and lighthearted experience, so we thought it was high time to bring in some much needed tragedy. Thus, there is now a chance that women might die in childbirth, either at once or after a period of illness. Infants can also be born "Sickly" (new trait), which means it is unlikely they will live past their third year. Surprisingly, we are not simply doing this out of pure malice; there are interesting gameplay effects where marriage alliances can suddenly be reset and you don't know if your sickly heir will actually survive to adulthood.

When characters convert religion, there is now a chance they will be tolerant of their old faith. These are new traits which affect the opinions of both the character and of other characters. For example, a former pagan king might get no opinion penalty versus pagans, nor will they of him.

CKII_SoA_DD_04_Tolerance.jpg

I know I'm forgetting stuff here, but you can all read the change log for yourselves when I post it. Needless to say, it's full of bug fixes and modding improvements as well.
And in case anyone missed it, Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham will release the 18th of November.
That's all for now, but there will be a live stream with yours truly on Tuesday, the day after release!

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of people asked before but i never had seen an answer. Will something be done with "Must not marry an infidel"? Some tweaks, perhaps. It is taking so much fun from the game in its current state, thats not even moddable.

We have also added whole new feature to improve the military side of the game; terrain bottlenecks. This is a system where the defending side in a battle has sometimes found suitable terrain before combat commences. The chance of this depends on the main province terrain and leader skill (there is even a new commander trait for this.) Each flank may have a narrow approach, preventing the attackers from attacking in numbers greater than the number of flank defenders (their number at the start) during the melee phase. The main reason we added this feature is that being outflanked is now much, much more devastating than it used to be, particularly if you are being outflanked from two directions, or through your (fallen) center.

Doomdark, I have a question about this. Is suitable terrain always a narrow approach? Because what constitutes a suitable terrain ought to be quite different if you have a flank based on cavalry or horse archers. In such a case the suitable terrain will most likely be an open field where there is room to maneuver. The mongols for example excelled in the art of finding suitable terrain, but they wouldn't hole up in a terrain bottleneck if they needed to defend. Perhaps cavalry based flanks that manage to find suitable terrain before battle simply could get a 'room to maneuver bonus' that give bonuses to cavalry and horse archers.

A question about Jews. Will their UI change? And how about Coat Of Arms shapes? Surely they won't be using the Christian or Muslim UIs?

In regards to ironman saving to the cloud. Could you perhaps optimize that?
I've been thinking maybe you could upload checksums instead of the full savegame itself. I know it's not perfect, but in my mind better than what we currently have.

Checksums would be worthless, all they would do is tell you if its changed.

If they can have it upload diffs instead, like a source control repo, that would probably work best.

I'd like to ask one more time, will the reduction in levies the farther you get from the demense apply on a de jure or de facto level?

Because if its de facto, it encourages large duchies and large kingdoms, and discourages empires all together.

If they can have it upload diffs instead, like a source control repo, that would probably work best.

As I said a checksum system is not perfect, it only will tell you if your savegame is valid or not for ironman. But isn't that already enough for ironman at least? We could still save games to the cloud if we want to, just make the ironman validation an independent thing.

I agree though, a diff system would be nice as it accomplishes everything: validating, save storage, even the recreation of older savegames would be possible. I just don't know if that wouldn't make it overly complicated.

I'd like to ask one more time, will the reduction in levies the farther you get from the demense apply on a de jure or de facto level?

Because if its de facto, it encourages large duchies and large kingdoms, and discourages empires all together.

I would have to imagine it's at the du jure level. I mean, how else would the example of "Empire of Britannia" work? It's not like you could raise troops *outside* of your empire, unless they were referring to raising troops outside of your du jure area. So if you are emperor of Britannia (and rule everything) and also hold Brittany and Normandy, you'd get more troops (relatively speaking) from the Dutchy of Munster than you would from the Dutchy of Brittany. So it would be in terms of most troops to fewer:

Dutchy of Essex
Dutchy of York
Dutchy of Munster
Dutchy of Normandy

My question is whether holding the Kingdom titles makes any difference or not? So, is the Kingdom of England the "Capital Kingdom" of Britannia, meaning you'll get more troops from dutchies inside there than you would from dutchies in Scotland/Ireland, regardless as to who holds the actual kingdom title? Does it, in effect, put the "capital kingdom" (like France inside Francia, or Greece inside the ERE) at a higher status level and give you more reason to ensure that you've captured all of it?

edit: And if it didn't make any difference as to who held the kingdom title, would it make sense to keep your capital in the largest dutchy in the largest kingdom in the empire? So maybe make the capital of Hispania the Dutchy of Seville in Mauretania? Large dutchy (5 counties), inside the largest kingdom (by far) on the Iberian Peninsula. It wouldn't make sense to keep the capital in Portugal (it's current Du Jure capital) because then you wouldn't get anywhere near as many troops....

And then you can (hopefully) form/usurp Mauretania because there won't be the religious requirement to do so anymore. Thoughts?

Last edited:
When characters convert religion, there is now a chance they will be tolerant of their old faith. These are new traits which affect the opinions of both the character and of other characters. For example, a former Norse Pagan king might get no opinion penalty versus Norse Pagans, nor will they of him.

But shouldn't they dislike an apostate from their ranks more than they do someone born into that other religion?

Finally childbirth deaths. Dunno but somehow this was most important for me. Imershunz and such.

But shouldn't they dislike an apostate from their ranks more than they do someone born into that other religion?

Maybe it will only come into play on characters who convert for politics not honestly.
As then they converted to protect their pagan brethren from religious aggression and so should still be on good terms

So folks, we are releasing the fifth expansion to Crusader Kings II, on Monday next week; Sons of Abraham. In the previous dev diaries, I have gone through the various features we've added in the expansion, so today I'll speak of the 2.0 patch. Usually when we release expansions for Crusader Kings II, we add a lot of free stuff in the patch as well, and this time is no exception. It's almost funny how many features we plan for the expansions that we end up putting in the patch instead, simply because they alter the core gameplay too much. Now, where to begin?

Perhaps the biggest - yet quite subtle - change we did was to reduce the amount of levies you get, particularly from your vassals. There are several changes to the rules; first off, levies from outside your de jure capital region get progressively smaller in stages (county, duchy, kingdom, empire, outside). Secondly, vassals will not give you any levies if they don't have a positive opinion of you (previously the threshold was -25). On the other hand, you now always enjoy a big opinion boost if you are being attacked by foreigners, particularly by infidels. This means that you can usually raise something approaching your theoretical max while being attacked, but not when you are doing the attacking. (Incidentally, this also means that factions tend to be less dangerous while the whole realm is under threat.) Lastly, the ruler's martial skill has a direct and significant effect on the size of the levies that can be raised from his or her demesne.

View attachment 94879

We have also added whole new feature to improve the military side of the game; terrain bottlenecks. This is a system where the defending side in a battle has sometimes found suitable terrain before combat commences. The chance of this depends on the main province terrain and leader skill (there is even a new commander trait for this.) Each flank may have a narrow approach, preventing the attackers from attacking in numbers greater than the number of flank defenders (their number at the start) during the melee phase. The main reason we added this feature is that being outflanked is now much, much more devastating than it used to be, particularly if you are being outflanked from two directions, or through your (fallen) center. We have also updated all mercenaries and holy orders so they actually have three regiments instead of one (and can thus fill a battle line on their own.) Mongols and Aztecs also arrive with more but smaller regiments, etc. What else? Oh yes, we unleashed Wiz (Martin Anward, who improved the EUIV AI) on the military AI to see if he could kick it up a notch...

View attachment 94880

View attachment 94878

Another really nice thing with the 2.0 patch is of course the addition of Ironman mode, like in Europa Universalis IV. To complement this, we added 50 Steam achievements that you can only get in Ironman mode. The multiplayer metaserver, however, will be discontinued. RIP.

Now, as you know, playing Crusader Kings II is a pretty cheerful and lighthearted experience, so we thought it was high time to bring in some much needed tragedy. Thus, there is now a chance that women might die in childbirth, either at once or after a period of illness. Infants can also be born "Sickly" (new trait), which means it is unlikely they will live past their third year. Surprisingly, we are not simply doing this out of pure malice; there are interesting gameplay effects where marriage alliances can suddenly be reset and you don't know if your sickly heir will actually survive to adulthood.

When characters convert religion, there is now a chance they will be tolerant of their old faith. These are new traits which affect the opinions of both the character and of other characters. For example, a former pagan king might get no opinion penalty versus pagans, nor will they of him.

View attachment 94877

I know I'm forgetting stuff here, but you can all read the change log for yourselves when I post it. Needless to say, it's full of bug fixes and modding improvements as well.
And in case anyone missed it, Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham will release the 18th of November.
That's all for now, but there will be a live stream with yours truly on Tuesday, the day after release!

Will the patch remove the ability two be in two places at the same time (i.e. both on a great hunt and a crusade to the Holy Land)?

I am so strangely excited for childbirth deaths and sickly children.

Really great stuff Paradox. It's been a long time since I've been so consistently pleased with a game developer for this long. You guys rock, and so do your games!