• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Should have offered Pol immunity to prosecution in exchange for seeing out the war; making him have no long term options among his own side is practically telling him to go turncoat for anyone who won't extradite him.
If not for Moka trying to speak up, Pol would be dead now. Cali and Hinata definitely would have murdered him on the spot. Cutting a deal with Pol probably won't cross Cali's mind until INTO help actually arrives.

What effects do the nukes and chems have on the killer-plants?
The radioactive fallout is going to kill any Morbuzakh vines it comes into contact with, reducing the plantoid's reach in the Twin Cities.

The Imperium actually needs to bring two different chemical weapons to the fight: one for humanoid opponents and one specifically for the Morbuzakh.
  • A lethal gas weapon to kill Resistance fighters
  • An aerosol defoliant (similar to Agent Orange) to kill the Morbuzakh

The question is, have they even realised the landscape itself is an enemy?
The Imperium is generally aware of the Morbuzakh's presence, while the SDF is not. (the two factions are not sharing intel on the same scale as INTO members)

Chapter 26: Escape from Death
Chapter 26: Escape from Death
Year of Hell, Day 159

Cali D’Kara
People’s Liberation Army
Lagos, Arcadia
Stardate 2256.08.08, 15:47hours

When Cali looked over the ruined city from her high perch, she saw Fevarian, Faleen, and Necrophage troops withdrawing to the east, giving up territory they sacrificed so much to capture. In the distance, she could see a flicker of activity in the Grimanche camp. At long last, the Toxoids were being turned loose…

“Ladies, we’re in the endgame now.” Cali told her fellow Night Witches. “Get ready to run.”

While the Night Witches made preparations to abandon their high-rise observation post, Cali picked up her radio and called Moka.

“Stellaris 1-2, this is Stellaris 1-1. Come in, over.”

“1-2 here.” Said the voice of Moka. “What’s the situation, over?”

“The enemy is getting ready to send in Toxoids.” Cali said. “How are the evacuations going? Over.”

“We’re about halfway done.” Moka replied. “C-2 is putting as many civilians as we can through the escape tunnel. Still about ten thousand civilians who want to evacuate. Over.”

“Understood. My team is heading back to the tunnels. Over.” Cali said.

“Use the entrance in the subway.” Moka told Cali. “The enemy captured the Joan of Arc memorial, so we had to collapse the tunnel entrance below it. Be safe, over.”

“Good copy, 1-1 out.” Cali finished the conversation.

The Night Witches packed up their equipment and vacated the high rise. Pushing through the ruined city streets, Cali decided to take a shortcut through a residential neighborhood. This way, they would return to the tunnel network in short time.

Hinata, Mulan, Kyra, and Alya split up, waking down either side of the street in pairs. As the team moved, everyone kept their weapons levelled at nearby houses, just in case there were combatants lying in wait…

“White flag! Left side!” Alya shouted. “We’ve got civilians in that house!”

Cali looked and spotted a modest bungalow. A frightened-looking woman was waving a white banner from a window, screaming for help.

“I heard there’s a way out of the city!” Said the Frenchwoman. “Please! I have two children in here with me.”

Kyra waved to the other Night Witches.

“Secure the house!” Kyra ordered. “Mulan, get on the roof and keep an eye out for the enemy.”

Cali, Kyra, Alya, and Hinata entered the civilian’s house and found three people: a mother and two small children. The young ones were too terrified to move, hunkered down in a makeshift shelter made out of mattresses.

“We can get you to the escape tunnel, but we’re going to need to move quickly.” Kyra told the panicked mother. “Can your kids move on their own or do we need to carry them?”

“They’re so afraid; I don’t think they can move.” Said the mother, a woman named Rosalie.

Cali got onto the radio and called for help. Moriarty picked up her message and assured Cali that reinforcements were being sent in her direction.

“More of us are on the way.” Cali reassured Rosalie. “We just need to…”

“EVERYONE GET DOWN!” Mulan shouted from the rooftop. “The Cruiser’s gonna light us up!”

Mulan jumped down from the roof and entered the house. The Night Witches found the basement steps and hid below ground level, dragging Rosalie and her children along with them. Cali ran into the front yard and looked up.

The Imperial warship Last Talon was taking action for the first time in this battle. Its many turret-mounted weapons were swiveling around to face the besieged city.

A moment later, there was a series of deep thudding noises. The reverberations caused Cali to jump in fright. The Last Talon opened fire! Kinetic Artillery weapons roared like tornadoes, sending massive shells toward the city. Cali threw herself to the ground and put her hands over her head.

Thud. Thud. Thud.

Cali felt mild shockwaves in the air, but nothing that resembled an impact. Cali dared to look up.

“Airburst rounds?” Cali said to herself.

The Kinetic Artillery shells were loaded with explosive warheads that detonated almost two thousand feet above the ground. But no shrapnel rained down upon the city of Lagos.

Instead, a dense fog was billowing across the sky... slowly descending toward the ground.

A fog... A cloud... A...

“GAS GAS GAS!” Cali screamed at the top of her lungs, running back into the house. “CHEMICAL ATTACK! GAS GAS GAS!”

Cali ran into the basement, where the Night Witches were already donning their gas masks and putting on rubber gloves. Alya and Hinata were desperately scrambling to save the children by forcing them to wrap towels around their heads. Rosalie did not have a gas mask, and instead she wrapped her face with a tee-shirt. Cali donned her own gas mask, and once the seal was airtight, she double-checked the children, making sure the towels were snug around their noses and mouths.

The radios carried by each soldier suddenly crackled.

“All callsigns, this is C-2.” Said the voice of Moriarty. “A chemical attack is underway. Don protective equipment immediately, then withdraw to a safe area and decontaminate as needed.”

Then a harsh noise came from above. The two children looked up, their heads wrapped in towels.

“Mommy, it’s raining!” One of the children gasped. “We need to collect the rainwater!”

“That’s not water, Gabriella.” Said Rosalie. “We need to stay inside.”

“Everyone take slow, easy breaths.” Cali advised. “We’re about to get gassed. Keep your masks on; keep your faces covered. Don’t touch anything liquid.”

Hinata screamed through her mask.

“Here it comes!”

A dense fog started to enter the basement, flowing down the staircase like a slow motion waterfall. At the same time, the fog also started seeping through the wooden floorboards and into the basement. Cali watched in horror as the dangerous gas swirled around her head. She took a slow breath that seemed to echo in her gas mask. She was acutely aware of a strap tangled in her hair.

“Whatever it is, it’s not caustic.” Cali said. “It’s not burning or irritating anyone, is it?”

Everyone shook their heads. A moment later, Moka’s voice emerged from Cali’s radio:

“Stellaris 1-1, this is Stellaris 1-2. My team is on its way to you, but we can see a squad of Grimanche soldiers down the street. They’re gonna hit you before I can get to your position. You need to mount a defense and you need to do it now! Over!”

“FUCK!” Cali shouted. “Those toxoids are probably immune to the gas.”

“Night Witches, get upstairs and take up defensive positions!” Kyra ordered.

Kyra, Hinata, and Mulan sprang to their feet. Alya tried to stand, but staggered. The young Russian was hyperventilating.

“Guys... I don’t feel good.” Alya said through her gas mask. “It’s like every muscle in my body is starting to cramp.”

“Nerve agent! It’s a nerve agent!” Hinata said. “Volkova! Tighten your mask, now!”

Alya reached up to check the seal on her gas mask. When she realized it was not airtight, she swore loudly and then tightened the straps so much she drew blood from her scalp.

The Night Witches scrambled upstairs. The house was saturated with nerve gas, limiting visibility. Mulan overturned a loveseat and positioned it next to the largest window in the living room, creating a firing position.

“I can see a squad of Grimanche soldiers.” Mulan reported, her voice muffled by the gas mask. “Nine of them coming up the road, they see us!”

“Light em up!” Cali ordered.

Mulan, Alya, Kyra, and Hinata took up positions at the windows and doors, firing on the Grimanche as they came. The toxoid soldiers were much larger than Humans, standing at almost two meters in height. Grimanche were not able to survive in Arcadia’s atmosphere, so they wore bulky enviro-suits that restricted their movements. As soon as they came under fire, the Grimanche returned the favor with acid-based weapons that splattered dangerously across the battlespace.

In seconds, chaos was unleashed as weapons fire tore the house apart! Wood, plaster, and metal rained down on the fighters. Kyra spotted several enemy soldiers attempting to flank the house. They ran around to the kitchen and fired on them through the windows. As the women moved, they kicked up the dangerous gas, which seemed to be growing less and less dense with each passing moment. Cali tried to engage the enemy, but her eye implants were so badly damaged that she was effectively nearsighted. The best she could do was fire blindly at vague shapes in the fog, unsure if she was hitting anything.

Down in the basement, the racket of gunfire caused Rosalie to scream:

“Stop! Stop! Please stop for the love of God!!”

Kyra pulled away from her firing position, looking at her rifle.

“Malfunction!” Kyra yelled above the gunfire, voice muffled by her gas mask. “Hua! Cover me while I fix my weapon!”

Mulan ran across the house and took Kyra’s place, firing out of the window at a pair of Grimanche soldiers hunkered down behind an overturned car. Cali’s radio crackled:

“Stellaris 1-1! We’re on the scene!” Said the voice of Moka. “Hold the line for just a few more seconds! We’re engaging!”

The gun battle expanded throughout the neighborhood as Moka brought more Resistance fighters into play. The hulking forms of the Grimanche lumbered through the toxic fog like nightmare creatures. One of them fired an acid weapon into the house, causing Cali to dive for cover as the caustic liquid splattered through the living room!

“I’m hit!” Mulan screamed. “Someone help!”

The teenager stumbled and fell over, vanishing into the swirling layer of poison gas on the floor.

“I’ve got you!” Hinata cried out, grabbing onto Mulan. “Shit, that looks bad! I’ve gotta put a tourniquet on your arm, Mulan. Sorry, this is gonna hurt, like, a lot!”

While Mulan screamed in agony, Kyra made a radio call:

“C-2, this is Athena 1-4! Stellaris, Athena, and Hatchet squads are taking contact in the residential neighborhoods. Athena 1-5 and Athena 1-2 are both wounded! Request immediate medevac! Over!”

Almost as soon as Kyra was done speaking, the voice of Sarim den Iridar broadcasted over the radio net.

“All Scyldari teams, this is Paradox 1-1 Actual. We have an Emergency Code Zero. Codename ‘Helen’ is W.I.A. Break all contacts and converge on Athena squad with all possible firepower. Paradox Actual out.”

“Paradox 1-1, this is Paradox 2-1.” Replied an unknown voice. “Responding to Code Zero. MEDEVAC inbound. Mark the evac zone with red smoke. Do not reply. Paradox 2-1 out.”

“Athena, Stellaris, did either of you hear that!? Over.” Iridar said over the radio.

“Affirmative!” Cali replied into the radio, then she shouted at Kyra. “Acharya! Put red smoke in the street!”

Kyra nodded and unholstered her grenade launcher. She chambered a red smoke round into it and aimed out of the window. Meanwhile, Cali spotted three people on the floor: Hinata was kneeling over Mulan, tying a tourniquet around Mulan’s right arm. To her horror, Cali saw that Alya was lying on the floor. Her gas mask had slipped partway off. Alya was twitching, convulsing, and foaming at the mouth. Cali knelt down to help…

“It’s too late for her!” Hinata snapped. “Cover the back door and let your niece in!”

Moka had arrived, bringing Hatchet Squad with her. They were wearing full protective gear: gas masks, heavy overcoats, rubber gloves and rubber boots.

“How many casualties do you have?” Moka asked.

“Two wounded soldiers, plus three civilians in the basement.”

“Mulmangcho, check the civvies in the basement!” Moka ordered. “Chen, triage Cali’s wounded. Xiao! Give us covering fire!”

Cali let out a low whistle that was completely muffled by her gas mask.

“You’re starting to turn into a leader.” She remarked.

“Not my choice.” Moka replied. “Just doing what I can.”

Then Moka held up her radio and said:

“The Scyldari are sending a vehicle for us. Is anyone dead? Sorry, but the situation’s fucked. If any of your people are dead, strip their weapons and gear. We have to leave the bodies behind.”

Cali started to say no dead only wounded, but Mulmangcho returned to give a report of his own:

“We’ve got four KIA: One Night Witch and three civilians.”

There was no time to ask questions like how or why. There was only evacuation. Alya’s weapon and radio were both seized and carried away. Her body was hastily moved into a corner of the living room. At the same time, the noise of gunfire outside suddenly intensified. The Scyldari had arrived.

Even with her damaged eye implants, Cali could recognize Iridar’s squad on sight. A second squad of Scyldari Special Forces, who had fought their way to the scene from a different direction, linked up with Iridar’s team. Cali could not see any faces, since everyone was wearing gas masks.

Moka and Kyra picked up Mulan and carried her between them. Under covering fire from the Scyldari team, the Night Witches broke contact and left the battle, leaving the dead behind and taking their wounded with them…

• 3Love
Reactions:
The Imperium's using nerve gas now?

Also, are these Toxoids biological weapons? I can taste the escalation of the conflict on Arcadia already.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Imperium's using nerve gas now?
A futuristic version of Sarin gas that is able to kill in a much shorter span of time, but it comes with one GIGANTIC downside: It's visible to the naked eye. In real life, Sarin is completely invisible.

Also, are these Toxoids biological weapons? I can taste the escalation of the conflict on Arcadia already.
The Grimanche can fill the role of living Bioweapons on short notice due to their preferred small arms/light weapons being incompatible with Humanoid physiology.

Also... you want escalation? Chapter 30: Beyond Recognition has exactly what you're looking for.

Reactions:
Chapter 27 : Walking Wounded
The Imperium does not care if any living organisms are left on Arcadia (friendly or not).
The goals and objectives of the Galactic Imperium simply do not align with those of General Sun and his SDF.

Good news, readers! We are rapidly approaching the end of this story arc. Phase Two will end with Chapter 30: Beyond Recognition. After that, Year of Hell will be taking a short hiatus so that I can write Phase Three.

The third and final Phase of this story is going to be a significant project, unlike anything done before on the Stellaris AAR forums. Year of Hell will feature two endings. Once we reach the end of Phase Two, I'll explain exactly how this is going to work. But we have to get there first...

Chapter 27: Walking Wounded
Year of Hell, Day 184

Moka J’Bassim
People’s Liberation Army
Makinauk, Arcadia
Stardate 2256.09.01, 08:15hours

The Night Witches were the first to withdraw from Lagos. Using the escape tunnel, Persefoni led her women out of the besieged city and into the majority-Chinese village of Sunjiwan. Rebel sympathizers met her at the tunnel exit and advised the Night Witches to keep moving.

“Don’t stay here, it’ll look suspicious.” Said the village elder.

Moka and Kyra paused just long enough to put Mulan onto a stretcher. Carrying their wounded comrade between them, the Night Witches set off. The guerillas marched for a day along the coastline before spotting something that raised Moka’s spirits. Loitering calmly off the coast was a gargantuan life-form roughly the size of East Lagos. The creature was so huge that it looked like an island. In fact, Moka could see trees growing from the soil accumulated on its back.

“Oh wow! Is that one of the Nemmas!?” Moka gasped.

“His name is Makinauk.” Said Hinata. “He’s the oldest Nemma. And as long as you are gentle to him, he will be gentle to you.”

Persefoni directed the Night Witches to raid a nearby surf club. Thankfully, it was deserted and the guerillas were able to seize two speedboats in a matter of moments. Moka carried Mulan aboard one and laid her gently on the floorboards. If she was not busy trying to care for her wounded comrade, Moka would have enjoyed the boat ride very much. Instead, she adjusted the tourniquet on Mulan’s arm and checked her wound.

Mulan had been shot in the right arm with an acid-based weapon. The caustic fluid caused second-degree burns that would require extensive treatment. Moka was trying to reapply a bandage when Mulan reached up and grabbed her arm:

“My scanner.” Mulan groaned. “What happened to my scanner?”

“What scanner are you talking about?” Moka asked.

“Left cargo pocket.” Mulan said, her voice weak. “Is it still there?”

Moka stuffed her hand into Mulan’s pant pocket and found a small handheld device. It consisted of a flat screen with two antenna sticking out of the upper corners. The whole assembly was attached to a pistol grip for easy one-handed scanning.

“I’ve got it, it’s still here.” Moka told her.

“Thanks.” Mulan breathed.

Year of Hell, Day 189

The Night Witches spent over a week living on the back of Makinauk, resting and treating their many wounded. The great Nemma simply did not care about the guerillas living on his back. Instead, he went about his business, swimming along the Indus coastline in search of algae blooms to eat. Soon, Makinauk had travelled so far south that the great plume of smoke from the Twin Cities was no longer visible. Persefoni and Cali used radios to keep tabs on the battle they left behind. Each day, Moka visited Cali (who was resting in a makeshift field hospital) to ask for an update:

“The Minutemen left a few days after we did.” Cali said. “And then Feu D'enfer and the Morbuzakh provided a rearguard for the Scyldari to escape. Feu D’enfer itself is collapsing. All of those forced conscripts are running out of morale. Most of them have surrendered or deserted. Those fighters who are still loyal are making a last stand.”

“How about casualties?” Moka asked.

“The Minutemen got mauled.” Cali said. “A.J. got gassed. He’ll live, but he’s in rough shape. I’m not gonna waste tears on him. Also, Ayumi’s fiancée is dead.”

“Thanos? The big geek guy?” Moka asked.

“Yeah. He got radiation sickness from the bomb and then he got gassed the other day. Never stood a chance.” Cali actually sounded sad this time.

The Night Witches were also suffering from the effects of dirty warfare. Moka and Cali were almost fully recovered from radiation sickness, but a few other guerillas had taken a turn for the worse. Child soldier Estefania Rodriguez was very ill, to the point where she could not eat solid food and her hair started falling out. She required constant care and comfort, the latter of which could be found in abundance…

Makinauk was such a gentle host that Moka could very easily forget she was riding on the back of a titanic animal. As long as she stayed away from the edges of his shell, it was easy to believe she was on a tropical island. Mud, dirt, and soil had accumulated on Makinauk’s back to such a degree that a dense tropical forest had sprung up, complete with a population of small animals who permanently called this place home. When the Night Witches ran out of drinkable water, they could retrieve fresh water that had pooled in the jungle during Monsoon season. Healthy guerillas harvested fruits and vegetables, a few set traps for the smaller critters and lit fires to cook the meat.

“Does Makinauk ever, like… totally submerge?” Moka asked Hinata.

“Nemmas can dive underwater, but Makinauk has never done so.” Hinata replied. “We’ve only seen the young ones do it, and Makinauk is at the tail-end of his lifespan, so we’re probably safe.”

Under the cover of darkness, speedboats approached Makinauk carrying food, water, medicine, and news. PLA sympathizers living on the coastline made themselves known; they came out in force to help the fleeing guerrillas.

“Your comrades in Lagos are making their last stand.” Reported the mayor of Mackinaw City, a coastal town. “General Sharpbeak is being pressured by the Imperium to finish the job quickly, but it looks that tunnel bomb really took the wind out of his sails. He’s being cautious.”

“Has the enemy attacked anywhere else?” Moka asked.

“Yes.” The Mayor said. “They’ve started going after the Morbuzakh. Enemy gunships have been flying all over the peninsula spraying herbicides. Whole forests are being killed off just to drive the Morbuzakh back.”

Year of Hell, Day 194

When the sun rose on the 11th of September, Moka had no idea this day would be so consequential. She entered the field hospital to visit Cali first thing in the morning, but she found most of the Night Witches gathered around a bed about ten meters away. Cali, who was still sick, emerged from her nest of blankets to explain:

“Estefania died last night. They’re trying to figure out if we can get her body back to her family, or if we need to bury her at sea.”

Moka moved to join the conversation, but it was already over by the time she got there. Persefoni wrote a short message on a slip of paper and attached it to a quadcopter drone. Hinata produced a tablet computer and took control of the drone just before Persefoni tossed it into the air.

“I’ll guide it to the Rodriguez family.” She said.

Moka watched the drone fly across the water and back to the mainland. Once the drone left her field of view, she cast her eyes down to the water, where she spotted three boats racing toward Makinauk. She could plainly see a group of Scyldari fighters in one of them. A sense of anxiety started to build in her chest.

“Oh, no.” Moka said to herself. “Nothing good’s gonna come from this.”

Sarim den Iridar brought over two dozen guerillas with him to Makinauk, a mixed force of Minutemen and Hellfighters. He also brought the news nobody wanted to hear:

“Lagos has fallen.” Iridar began. “It’s too early to say, but the civilian population seems to have been reduced to about fifty thousand. Our side suffered about seven hundred dead and nearly two thousand wounded. The enemy took about sixty thousand casualties; that’s dead, wounded, and missing lumped together. Feu D'enfer has vacated the city and are trying to regroup in the forests. Their conscript battalions have completely fallen apart, most deserted, a few surrendered. Nuclear fallout settled in the River Orne, so the water supply for at least nine settlements has been poisoned, including Loushan, New Mariupol, and Springfield.”

Moka had to sit down to take all of this in. The other Night Witches needed to sit as well. Cali put her arm around Moka’s shoulder as Iridar went on:

“General Sun declared victory yesterday. He organized an elaborate press conference to talk about how the insurgency was defeated and anti-government forces were scattered. The conference happened this morning, and he was joined by a guest.”

“We don’t exactly have TV out here.” Hinata said. “Skip the pronoun game and give us details.”

“General Sun was joined by the Galactic Empress.” Iridar said bluntly.

Everyone gasped.

“How do you know?” Persefoni demanded.

“B’Scul was there.” Iridar said. “He’s gotten better at disguising himself as a Human. He attended the press conference in Persepolis as a member of the press corps. He saw the Galactic Empress when she arrived. Khetreph and Sun stood side-by-side on the stage. They talked for an hour about a plan to rebuild the Twin Cities and purify the water supply.”

“Rebuild? Purify?” Moka repeated.

Cali had the answer:

“That’s really standard anti-insurgency tactics.” Cali explained. “When the government goes out of its way to give people food, water, medicine, and shelter, the populace will be less likely to support an insurgency. If the people’s basic needs are met, the urge to rebel is reduced. You’d be surprised, but back when I was doing the ISAF mission, my team drove the insurgents out of Mackinaw City without firing a shot! All we did was construct a sewage treatment facility, set up a medical clinic, and repave a couple of roads. Couple weeks later, the insurgents were gone.”

“We no choice but to leave.” Persefoni grumbled. “Your team drove the Night Witches out of Mackinaw, D’Kara. My people couldn’t provide the locals with anything, and you were giving them clean water and medicine! The people of Mackinaw were so friendly to you that it was a matter of time before they turned us in. We had to flee.”

“Didn’t you try to stop Cali’s team from winning over the town?” Moka asked while Cali’s face turned red.

“Of course we did!” Kyra chimed in. “Cali, come on, you’ve gotta remember! I was the sniper taking potshots at your bulldozer.”

“Now that you say something, yeah. I remember.” Cali said. “So does that mean… the android rigged with a suicide bomb vest, the one that knocked down the water tower right after my team put it back up… was that you, Hinata?”

“Guilty.” Hinata confessed, also hiding her face. “This is really weird to talk about now that we’re on the same side.”

“I agree.” Iridar said in a deadpan voice. “I haven’t even gotten to the two interesting parts of my story yet.”

“Two?” Persefoni repeated.

“Well, there was an interruption at the conference.” Iridar said. “The Galactic Empress made an announcement to the galactic press. In short, she said that once major combat operations at Lagos ended, the Imperial Army would reduce its presence on Arcadia. A slow, systematic withdrawal would leave the planet under SDF control and allow the Imperial forces to concentrate on other hotspots in the Galactic War. The Empress praised Commander Sharpbeak and General Sun for helping the SDF become a force that can stand on its own without Imperial support.”

“I wonder how that news went down.” Kyra commented.

“If you’d stop interrupting, I will tell you!” Iridar snapped. “Listen, as soon as the Empress finished announcing the withdrawal, a Human in the crowd stood up. He shouted: ‘This is a farewell kiss from the Human race, you dog!’ And then he threw his shoes at the Galactic Empress. She dodged both.”

The expression on Iridar’s face was one of confusion. He did not understand Human culture as well as Cali did. As soon as Iridar described the ‘Shoeing of the Empress,’ all of the Humans and Cali burst into raucous laughter. Wheezing from a fit of giggles, Cali gasped:

“Was the dude Arabic!? Please… for the love of Allah, please tell me he was Arabic!”

Raising an eyebrow, Iridar replied:

“Yes… he was… how did you know?”

Suddenly, Moka also burst into laughter, alarming the Scyldari. She had some previous face-time with Arabs and understood the cultural context.

“Oh that’s perfect!” Moka cackled. “That dude just became the best recruiting tool the PLA has ever seen! I hope he didn’t get arrested.”

“He did.” Iridar grumbled. “The Galactic Empress left shortly afterward. Her beloved commander, Skrand Sharpbeak, was irradiated by our nuclear weapon, so she went to visit him in the hospital. The Empress departed the planet just a few hours ago and is on her way back to the Throneworld now. But at long last, we’re getting onto the topic I really need to talk to you all about: We have made contact with a defector.”

The laughter died out. Everyone looked at Iridar. Even Mulan emerged from the field hospital to pay attention, her arm wrapped up in a sling. Iridar took a deep breath.

“A high-ranking member of the Arcadia Self Defense Force reached out to the last defenders of Lagos before the city fell.” Iridar said. “He has been uncomfortable for months, but the events that just went down in Lagos have pushed him over the edge. He wants out. He wants to defect. He says there’s also one soldier in his unit who will defect alongside him.”

“That’s great!” Kyra cheered. Several Night Witches joined in.

Moka found herself hesitating. For what felt like the first time in her life, Moka successfully resisted the urge to join an ongoing celebration. There was a new emotion in the back of her head that she had seen in other people, but rarely felt herself. She raised her hand to get everyone’s attention.

“Hang on…” Moka said. “We’re talking about an active officer in the enemy army. We should be… uh… we should be careful.”

Cali dropped her canteen.

“Are you being cautious right now?” Cali said, tilting her head. “Who are you and what have you done with Moka J’Bassim?”

Everyone laughed one more time. Then Iridar finished delivering his report:

“The defecting officer is code-named ‘Brutus’ and he has top-secret security clearance in the SDF. My team established communications and then struck a deal with Brutus: We will have a very short window of time where the enemy will not know they’ve lost this man. During that window, we will use and abuse his position of authority to strike the SDF. This is both an opportunity and a risk… and unfortunately, my Special Forces team is understrength due to casualties. I am looking for volunteers. Will any of you Night Witches come with me to collect Brutus?”

• 3Love
Reactions:
The loss of Lagos is a devastating blow, but the war's not over. They're still hope here.

I can't wait for Sharpbeak's death - although I'm surprised he survived that.

Why are they trusting someone who wants to defect and is codenamed Brutus? Did INTO at least give him that codename?

This chain of events is also a reason why you don't agree to aid regimes that you suspect will soon be your enemies... even if that also has historical precedent (*cough, cough* USSR and US *cough, cough*).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 28: Exit Strategy
Did INTO at least give [Brutus] that codename?
The codename was issued by Feu D'enfer, since they were the first ones to be contacted by the defector.

Let's hope this Brutus isn't going to be a double agent. Can't help feeling Moka is right.
The guy is willing to abandon his original allegiance. That pretty much burns quite a lot of his original trustworthiness.

Just a few more days until the end of Phase Two!

Chapter 28: Exit Strategy
Year of Hell, Day 197

Cali D’Kara
People’s Liberation Army
Fort Shiroyama, Arcadia
Stardate 2256.09.14, 02:00hours

A mixed force of guerilla fighters stalked the forests around Fort Shiroyama, an SDF military base that used to be occupied by ISAF. Peering through the trees at her target, Cali felt a sharp pang of nostalgia.

Located only a short distance from Persepolis, the Human capitol, Fort Shiroyama was an ISAF base for years before this conflict began. The base had fallen into disrepair since the interstellar peacekeepers departed. The lookout towers were coated in a layer of rust and the outer walls looked ready to crumble.

“Back when I was part of the SDF, internal corruption was already bad.” Hinata said. “But this… this is true neglect.”

“I’ll bet when the Empress came to visit, nobody showed her this place.” Cali replied. “It would have been embarrassing.”

Mulmangcho, Pol, Kyra, and Pixal joined Cali and Hinata. All six of them were dressed in dark green fatigues, making it impossible to tell that this little group was representing four different military factions: ISAF, the Minutemen, Night Witches, and Feu D’enfer. Today, this group was simply a PLA squad… and Cali was in command.

On her signal, the squad moved out. Cali’s radio vibrated, but did not make noise. She had modified the radio with her personal supply of nanobots. Now, the voice communications were piped directly into her cochlear implant, allowing the radio itself to remain silent.

“Stellaris, this is C-2.” Said the voice of Moriarty. “What is your ETA to the rally point? Over.”

“We are minutes away, over.” Said a computer-generated voice. Cali was using her brain implants to transmit a reply without making audible sound.

“Good. Don’t keep Brutus waiting. C-2 out.” Moriarty replied.

“Someone remind me why we want this traitor to join our side?” Mulmangcho asked.

“Having an enemy officer with the latest security clearance and Intel on our side is a huge asset.” Cali told him. “Come on, we’re going to be late.”

It was the middle of the night. The only sources of illumination were the nearby SDF base and the ocean moon of Concorde high above. The group moved through the forest like wraiths, nearly invisible save for Pixal’s glowing green eyes, which made her look like a carnivorous beast on the prowl.

After a few minutes, the PLA soldiers came to a clearing in the forest. A single dirt road ran through the area, connecting Fort Shiroyama to the nearby village of Taiyuan. Cali checked the time using her brain implant, then signaled her comrades.

“Everyone hit the dirt!”

The guerillas went into the prone firing position, using the dense undergrowth of the forest to conceal their positions. Cali strained her ears, using her cochlear implants to extend her auditory range far beyond the others.

“They’re coming.” Cali reported. “But something’s off. I can hear two vehicles on the road.”

“That is a problem.” Pixal said. “Sarim den Iridar explicitly said Brutus and his fellow defectors would travel aboard a single UFV-8.”

The UFV-8 was a type of light military truck. It could carry five soldiers and sometimes had a rotary plasma cannon mounted on the roof. Cali turned around and signaled her troops.

“Pixal might be right. I want the anti-armor team set up behind that large tree.”

Moving silently, Pixal, Mulmangcho, and Pol got to their feet and got to work. Mulmangcho was carrying a shoulder-mounted RPG launcher. Pixal had ammunition for said launcher in her backpack. Pol was carrying both a rangefinder and night vision goggles. Mulmangcho positioned himself at the designated tree while Pixal loaded his RPG launcher. Pol strapped the NVG to Mulmangcho’s head and then peered down the road with his rangefinder.

“Contact, one vehicle.” Pol said. “It’s a UFV-8. No sign of a second vic.”

Cali double-checked the time once more.

“It’s probably Brutus.” She said. “He’s right on time. Hold fire.”

The military vehicle shut off its lights when it was about a hundred meters away from the squad’s position. Then it pulled over to the side of the road and four Human soldiers emerged. Cali knew what came next. She had gone over this part of the plan with Iridar. Cali raised her voice and shouted:

“Halt! Who goes there!?”

Two Humans dropped their weapons to the ground and raised their arms in a gesture of surrender.

“Lieutenant Colonel Mishri Sabanis, Arcadia Self Defense Force.” Said the man also known as Brutus. “My driver is Private Aslan. He’s with me.”

“Thermopylae!” Cali shouted.

This was the sign. If Brutus or his man replied with anything other than the correct countersign, Cali would order her squad to open fire.

“Artemisium!” Both Humans shouted together.

Cali’s squad emerged from the shadows and took the Humans into custody. Lt. Colonel Sabanis and his driver, Private Aslan, were very happy to see the guerillas. As soon as Cali reached him, Sabanis handed over a plastic card that contained his security clearance code.

“Iridar told me to expect an Alari.” Sabanis said. “There is a problem, I have been followed.”

Private Aslan spoke up.

“When we turned onto this road, we saw an Imperial vehicle about two kilometers behind us. They’re gonna get here soon!”

Cali tightened her grip on her rifle.

“Alright, we’ll fall back into the forest. We’ll disappear before they get here.”

“You must destroy this vehicle!” The Lieutenant Colonel said. “The enemy cannot know we are working together yet!”

“Pixal, Mulmangcho! Rig this truck to blow!” Cali ordered. “Everyone else, into the trees!”

This complication was going to put the whole operation into jeopardy. But it still needed to be done. An opportunity like this could not be allowed to slip away.

The guerillas redeployed into the forest. Behind them, a deep thudding sound confirmed the destruction of Sabanis’ truck. As the squad pushed toward Fort Shiroyama, Sabanis brought Cali up to speed:

“Skrand Sharpbeak is here. He was irradiated by your little pocket nuke and is in the Shiroyama hospital, recovering from radiation sickness. I want some payback for what he did to the Twin Cities, and you’re going to help me get it.”

“We’re going to get it for you.” Cali said. “I’m not going to put you at risk any more than we need to.”

Then Cali used her modified radio to make a call:

“Paradox Actual, this is Stellaris Actual. I have the HVI and we are at Rally Point Two. Ready to hand off. Over.”

There was a rustling in the trees. Four Scyldari Special Forces operators emerged from the darkness. They were armed to the teeth and wore night vision goggles.

“Good work, D’Kara.” Said Kunrig den Boknar. “We’ll take the Colonel from here and debrief him on the way back to camp. Good luck with the rest of your mission.”

Colonel Sabanis and Private Aslan were handed off to the Special Forces, then both teams melted away into the night, heading in opposite directions.

Cali’s squad arrived at the Range Road Gate. This was effectively the back entrance to Fort Shiroyama; where the dense pine forest very suddenly gave way to the military installation, with a single concrete wall separating the two. From here, the upper floors of Shiroyama hospital were visible. Hidden by the trees, Pol raised his view finder and scanned the hospital. After a few moments, he swore out loud.

“You’re not gonna believe this… I can see Sharpbeak!” Pol said. “He’s in the northern side of the hospital, fifth floor. He’s converted a conference room into his command center.”

“Sharpbeak is dedicated to his work, despite his illness.” Pixal said. “Were he not our enemy, I would be impressed.”

Cali turned to her troops.

“Remember the plan.” She said. “No heroics out there. Get in, find an SDF officer, get his radio and a copy of the latest encryption keys, then get out.”

“And what happens if you take contact?” Private Aslan asked.

“We’ve got a plan for that.” Cali replied, smiling. “We’re gonna make six fighters feel like a hundred.”

Pixal and Mulmangcho reloaded the RPG, took aim, and opened fire.

The two SDF soldiers guarding the gate never knew about the raid. They were killed in the opening salvo. Cali, Pol, Kyra, Pixal, Mulmangcho, and Hinata were through the gate in seconds.

Lucky for her, the enemy had been caught with their guard down. Out of the nearly six hundred soldiers living on the base, only about sixty were awake at this late hour, and of those sixty, only fifteen were armed. A firefight broke out, forcing the guerillas to take cover behind a parked AV-85 battle tank.

Cali knew the layout of Fort Shiroyama very well and knew exactly where to find an enemy radio.

“The C-2 building is that one across the street from the parade field!” Cali shouted over the noise of gunfire. “Look for a white trailer parked on the west side of the building. That’s the signal station where the commo specialists work. Can’t miss it: There will be antennas and power generators all over the ground in front of it! Pixal, take Hinata and make it happen!”

“On our way!” Pixal replied before vanishing into the night with Hinata.

“The rest of us will draw fire!” Cali said. “Mulmangcho, can you start a fire in the motorpool?”

Mulmangcho cast his eyes around the motorpool, where nearly a hundred military vehicles were parked in neat rows.

“Give me five minutes.” He replied.

Cali, Kyra, and Pol engaged the few guards who were able to respond to the incursion. The gunfight played out in the motorpool, with fighters from both sides using parked vehicles for cover and concealment. The enemy was caught so badly off guard that none of the SDF guards were wearing body armor, fighting in just their duty uniforms.

In the darkness of night, Cali found that using laser and plasma weapons to be a very bad idea. She aimed for muzzle flashes, and after a few moments, Cali was certain that she had wounded at least five guards and killed one.

A flicker of green light to her right caught Cali’s attention.

“We’ve got the radio!” Hinata shouted.

“I have downloaded the enemy’s latest encryption keys.” Pixal added.

“Fall back!” Cali yelled to her team. “Everyone retreat!”

The guerillas waged a fighting retreat, escaping through the same gate they came through. Silence fell over Fort Shiroyama.

The surviving SDF soldiers believed they had defeated the insurgent attack. The enemy did not pursue because they had bigger issues: Cali’s squad had inflicted almost twenty injuries upon the security guards and started two fires, one in the motorpool and one in the signal center. Thinking they were safe, the SDF soldiers began to treat their wounded, moving the critically injured to the Shiroyama hospital as soon as it emerged from lockdown.

Escaping the same way they came in, Hinata and Pixal quickly programmed the radio with the encryption keys and then typed in the security clearance code used by Colonel Sabanis.

“We’re ready, do it!” Hinata said.

Even though the guerillas were safely away from Fort Shiroyama, they still needed to sell the deception. Pixal raised the radio transceiver to her mouth, and when she spoke, her voice sounded like a near-perfect copy of Colonel Sabanis.

“Overlord, this is Wolverine. We have multiple enemy contacts at Fort Shiroyama. Break.”

At Pixal’s signal, the other five guerillas raised their weapons and started firing into the air. Pixal pressed the talk button and raised her fake voice to be heard over the sound of gunfire:

“We are unable to hold off the enemy attack. I have evacuated Fort Shiroyama and my men are retreating to high ground. Requesting immediate fire support on my position! Danger close! How copy? Over.”

The guerillas stopped shooting. A moment later, a reply came.

“Wolverine, this is Overlord. We’re sending heavy ordinance your way. Tell your men to find cover. Splash in sixty seconds. If anyone is still inside Shiroyama, their service will be honored. Overlord out.”

Cali and Pol looked at each other in amazement, jaws dropped.

“INTO would never let that happen.” Pol gasped. “We’ve got serious restrictions on who is allowed to call artillery strikes. Even then, there’s a lot of procedures and hoops you have to jump through before the guns even get loaded! This is insane.”

“Like I said, corruption.” Hinata concluded. “There’s a whole culture of cutting corners in the SDF.”

“Can’t believe I spent five years trying to train these guys.” Cali groaned. “Okay everyone, splash in ten seconds! Hit the deck!”

There was a deep thundering sound from the western horizon. The squad dove for cover, and a few moments later, the ground shook! A vicious artillery bombardment commenced.

Cali blinked, trying to sweep away the sense of Déjà vu.

Bright flashes of light flared in the skies above! The squad dove for cover, and a few moments later, the ground shook! A vicious artillery bombardment commenced.

High explosive shells rained down on Fort Shiroyama for almost thirty seconds, wiping out the barracks, warehouse, command center, and dining facility in a matter of seconds. The blasts were so powerful the surrounding pine forest caught fire, turning the whole scene into a hellscape! Out of the corner of her eye, Cali spotted Pixal. The android’s behavior was highly unusual.

A few seconds before the barrage started, Cali had felt a strong sense that she had fought this battle already, that she was experiencing it for the second time. Simultaneously, Pixal sat bolt upright and started moving her head from left to right, as though she was scanning for something. While Fort Shiroyama was blasted to bits, Pixal observed everything except the destruction. Her eyes had changed color from their usual bright green to a deep red.

After half a minute of relentless barrage and bombardment, the assault ended.

Thirty minutes later, Cali and her squad re-entered the ruins of Fort Shiroyama. The base was completely flattened.

“The damage here is consistent with orbital bombardment.” Pixal said. “The warship Last Talon must have opened fire on the fort with Railguns to inflict maximum damage. There will be no survivors.”

Pol guided the squad to the wreckage of what had once been Shiroyama hospital. The search had to be conducted very quickly. It was only a matter of time before the enemy sent forces to re-occupy the base, or what was left of it. Using the light of the moon and fire to aid their search, the squad started to dig through the rubble.

“Can we talk about how the Last Talon, an Imperial warship, took an SDF fire mission?” Cali said. “That doesn’t add up.”

“You are correct. The order of events is self-contradictory.” Pixal said. “The sudden change in variables is unexplained, despite my best efforts to seek out an explanation.”

About two hours before sunrise, Kyra shouted:

“I found him! He’s definitely dead.”

The body of Skrand Sharpbeak was mangled, but recognizable. Pixal photographed his remains, knowing this would be a massive propaganda victory for anyone opposing the Imperium. Once Sharpbeak’s death was confirmed beyond all possible doubt, the guerillas fled the scene.

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Make Sharpbeak die by friendly fire! I wasn't expecting that.

Also, I find it interesting that the code is battles during the Greco-Persian Wars. The one question is... if that parallel means anything, who's the Greeks and who's the Persians?

Reactions:
Make Sharpbeak die by friendly fire! I wasn't expecting that.
Not just friendly fire, he got killed by his own starship! I think he's the first character to suffer such a fate in one of my stories.

Also, I find it interesting that the code is battles during the Greco-Persian Wars. The one question is... if that parallel means anything, who's the Greeks and who's the Persians?
The sign and countersign here are subtle foreshadowing. The battles of Thermopylae and Artemisium occurred simultaneously... the same thing can be said of two events that will occur in Phase Three.

Reactions:
Well that was a fun binge, cant wait to see where the story goes from here.
Its interesting how much the earthquake *cough cough* I mean Vultaum Deja vu device appears to be helping the heroines quite a bit:
  1. one to multiple rifles
  2. bigger bomb
  3. artillary strike to orbital bombardment
just to name a few.

As usual special forces guys fall into 1 of 2 camps: really cool and great to have on your side or shoot them now else face major issues caused by them later. And these ones are 2s through and through.

I am also 98% sure I know who mulan is and recent revelations would explain particular parts of the deal and why Sun didnt want her killed even after losing his eye.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Lagos was never supposed to be held and now Sharpbeak's death makes it a major victory. Good to see that we ate our spinach before meeting with Brutus. Hopefully, we did not eat a hamburger that we have to pay for next week. Six months down. PIXAL has multiple agendas. Thanks

Its interesting how much the earthquake *cough cough* I mean Vultaum Deja vu device appears to be helping the heroines quite a bit:
@TrinalGalaxy definitely knows which game I've been playing recently, and have been shamelessly stealing a certain plot point from. Give ya 3 guesses.

Hopefully, we did not eat a hamburger that we have to pay for next week.
Time will tell, and soon. There isn't much story left, actually. Phase Three won't be as long.

Reactions:
Chapter 29: Resurgent Alliance
Chapter 29: Resurgent Alliance
Year of Hell, Day 211

Moka J’Bassim
People’s Liberation Army
Mackinaw City, Arcadia
Stardate 2256.09.28, 12:30hours

Hide.

Rest.

Regroup.

This was the order issued to all members of the People’s Liberation Army. Florent, Persefoni, and Moriarty signed off on these orders. The insurgency went underground very soon after the fall of the Twin Cities. Attacks and harassment of enemy forces slowed to a crawl as the PLA focused on licking its wounds.

As soon as Cali returned from her mission to Fort Shiroyama, she took Moka and arranged for their departure from Makinauk. The PLA leaders had already agreed on the need to disburse, so fighters broke up into small groups and scattered over the course of several days. Cali’s team of Night Witches was understrength after losing Estefania and Alya. With Persefoni’s permission, Cali’s team was merged with Moka’s Hatchet Squad. The combined group was renamed “Gemini Squad” and dispatched to the mainland.

Gemini Squad consisted of Cali and Moka, along with four Night Witches, (Mulan, Ayumi, Hinata, and Kyra) three Minutemen, (Mulmangcho, Guanyu, Chen) and one Hellfighter. (Pixal) The group moved into an abandoned farmhouse on the outskirts of a village named Mackinaw City. Located not far from where the Nemma Makinauk lived, the populace was generally sympathetic to the insurgency. Each day, civilians would covertly deliver supplies and medicine to Gemini Squad.

Moka found she enjoyed this mandatory R&R. For the first time in weeks, she was getting regular sleep, and her mental health was generally improving. She was still having nightmares and the sight of an enviro-suit still triggered panic attacks, but overall, Moka was feeling better.

She was not the only person needing a mental break. Ayumi Robinson had been hit hard by the events of the past few weeks. Her fiancée, Apollon Thanos, was killed during the fight for the Twin Cities. Ayumi had become very mellow and lethargic in recent weeks, and some time resting in the coastal town was good for her. Even so, the other members of Gemini squad made a point of never leaving Ayumi alone.

Moka spent a lot of time outside in the pastureland surrounding the camp. She was worried about Cali, however, who spent very little time outdoors. Cali and Pixal set up a communications station in the abandoned barn and spent nearly all of their time in there.

The soldiers of Gemini squad continued to rest and regroup for a couple of weeks, all the while Cali and Pixal locked themselves away in their impromptu comms station. Occasionally, Hinata sent up a done to scout the enemy, but only found the occasional SDF patrol. The Imperial Army, disoriented by the death of Skrand Sharpbeak, had withdrawn to various bases around the Indus Peninsula and was opting to stay there, at least for now.

One particular morning, Moka was doing her usual jog around the pasture when she crossed paths with Mulan, who was looking up at the sky, waiting for Hinata’s drone to land. Mulan was finally able to use her right arm again, having recovered from the wounds she received in Lagos. Even so, the skin on her right bicep and shoulder was covered in burn scars. A question that had been burning in the back of Moka’s mind for weeks tumbled out of her mouth before she could think about it:

“So, uh… how do you know Pixal?”

Mulan stumbled and briefly lost track of Hinata’s drone. It nearly hit her on the head as it descended to the ground. Moka and Mulan both seized the drone and held it. Mulan looked flustered.

“Uh… what makes you think we know each other?” Mulan asked.

“Really, you’re gonna lie to me?” Moka said. “Neither of you were very subtle, just so you know. My aunt says ‘Mulan’ isn’t your real name, and that you’re hiding your identity for some odd reason.”

Mulan took one hand off the drone and put a finger to her lips.

“Shh!” Mulan hissed. “Shut up!”

Moka was taken aback. Mulan looked around to make sure the field was empty, then said:

“Listen, I’m not using my real name because it can get me killed. And yes, Pixal and I know each other, okay? We go back before the war. Cyrus Borg knows my family, and I was there when he put Pixal together, alright? You don’t need to know much more than that.”

Moka would have answered, but Mulan’s radio crackled.

“I can see you’ve got my drone, ladies.” Hinata said. “Feel free to bring it back anytime. I’ll be here… in the house… getting older…”

Reluctantly, Moka dropped the subject. The two young women returned to the farm-turned insurgent camp, where they found something unusual was going on:

Both Cali and Pixal were standing in the gravel driveway, talking to the driver of an electric truck. As Moka approached, Cali slapped her hand on the hood and told the driver to “make tracks.” The truck disappeared down the road and Cali spotted Moka.

“Cancel whatever plans you had for tonight, Moka.” Cali said. “I want you at tonight’s meeting.”

After the sun went down, Moka skipped dinner and entered the barn. She let out a low whistle, impressed by just how thoroughly Pixal and Cali had transformed the place into a miniature command center. Maps of the Indus Peninsula were tacked onto a far wall, while a pair of computers could be found opposite. A hologram projector occupied the center of the barn, wired to a short-range radio transceiver.

“Truth is, I found out this morning.” Cali explained, “But I really wanted to see the look on your face when you got the good news.”

“What good news?” Moka asked; her interest piqued.

“You will see in a few moments.” Pixal replied.

Pixal walked over to the radio transceiver and flipped a switch.

“The meeting is about to start. Please stand in the circle.” Pixal said.

Cali and Moka moved to the designated spot as the holoconference took shape around them. The holographic representations of Florent Ardouin, Persefoni, and Moriarty faded into the barn. The PLA leaders looked as though they were standing together, when in reality they were scattered across the Indus Peninsula.

“Hello, Captain D’Kara.” Said Moriarty. “In the absence of Commander Iridar, I would like you to function as a representative of the Interstellar Security Assistance Force for the duration of this strategy discussion.”

“Of course.” Cali said. “I vouch for my niece, Moka. She is cleared for this conversation.”

Persefoni tilted her head. Wherever she was, she was looking at the hologram of Moka.

“Fair enough. She did will as the leader of Hatchet Squad. Shall we go straight to the good news? You said this was worth the risk of contacting each other like this.”

“I don’t see why not.” Moriarty replied. “I will begin: Although we have yet to verify the finer details, I can now say with full confidence that an INTO invasion of Arcadia is imminent.”

Moka’s heart jumped out of her chest to thunder in her throat. She jumped into the air and squealed. Persefoni raised an eyebrow and Cali suppressed a laugh. Moriarty looked at Moka.

“I have not gotten to the good part.” He said. “The invasion force consists of soldiers and warships from three INTO members, the Hazbuzan Syndicate, the Kingdom of Andaria, and the State of Alaria. The armada departed from the Alari Homeworld some time ago and is under the joint command of one Dak J’Bassim.”

This time, both Cali and Moka squealed, hugging each other. Moka felt tears welling up in her eyes but she simply did not care. The news was too wondrous, too exciting!

“We know all about the Alari, thanks to our allies here.” Moriarty said, “But I know that Feu D’enfer is generally unfamiliar with the other two INTO states coming to our rescue.”

“Correct.” Said Florent. “Is there anything my Hellfighters need to know about the Andari and Hazbuzi?”

Cali went first:

“The Hazbuzi are your neighbors in the Galaxy, just one Hyperlane away.” She explained. “They are a reptilian species from the Savannah world Zumaka. Their entire government, if you can call it that, is a massive business enterprise… a Megacorp. The Syndicate can trace its origins back to the Zumakan criminal underworld. The Hazbuzi themselves are quarrelsome people but highly intelligent. They bring quick and cheap solutions to the alliance.”

Moka followed up.

“The Andari are religious aquatic people who live in the Void Sea Nebula.” She said. “They have a theocratic monarchy with a really weird twist on democracy.”

“Weird doesn’t sum it up.” Cali chimed in. “The King of Andaria died about five hundred years ago and no one succeeded him.”

“Andaria is ruled by a democratically-elected Regent, and their country is basically a republic that calls itself a Kingdom.” Moka concluded. “The Andari people are not terrestrial, like, they have a hard time walking on solid ground. If the Andari are part of the invasion force, then they’re contributing starships. Maybe a few of them will come down to secure the sea and the waterways, but don’t expect them to march into Persepolis anytime soon.”

Florent nodded.

“Speaking of Persepolis…” he said. “I believe the Persepolis spaceport and Citadel will be INTO’s first target when they arrive. A joint force of SDF and Imperial units will defend both. Is there any way we can act as a fifth column, to help INTO gain a foothold?”

“We’ve already started.” Said Moriarty. “Sarim den Iridar and his Scyldari special forces have already broken camp and moved out. Their objective will be to establish contact with INTO command.”

“Uh…” Cali and Moka said together.

“I know the two of you don’t trust the Scyldari, but they are INTO.” Moriarty said. “Iridar’s team has the knowledge and tech needed to quickly establish communications with your husband’s fleet when they arrive. We will be counting on Iridar to make that happen. In the meantime, the People’s Liberation Army will take action.”

Everyone looked at Moriarty. A three-dimensional holographic map of the Badlands appeared next to him, with a red circle drawn around the village of New Mariupol.

“Our target will be FOB Alamo.” Moriarty said. “It's home to one of SDF’s ground-to-space cannons. We’ll take the big gun offline and give INTO a place to land safely.”

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Ground to space cannons sound interesting.

Not surely I like the idea of Iridar and co being in charge of communications with the reinforcements. There's a lot that could go wrong with them.

Mulan seems like she's implying that she is the disappeared daughter.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ground to space cannons sound interesting.
Interesting and suddenly relevant now that we know an INTO Starfleet is on its way to Arcadia.

Mulan seems like she's implying that she is the disappeared daughter.
She's definitely trying to drop the type of hint that says, "you really need to stop pressing before I get in trouble."

ohh I picked up on that back in chapter 1 at the checkpoint... and then I noticed just how much of a rip of that particular story you were doing. ;)
You got further than I would expect for someone who knows the source materiel. I thought the "guerilla ambush" in Prologue #3 was a dead giveaway. ;)

Reactions: