Why did France lose a research slot?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Everything I have seen and heard says he is right:
The Beaker means extra research slot (regardless of the name. Example: The USSR have 3 Extra Research Slot NF (2 are mutually Exclusive) the one in the Purge Branch is called "Closed City" or something like that.)
The Beaker with shaking hands under it means research bonus

Source? I don't believe it.

Reactions:
Everything I have seen and heard says he is right:
The Beaker means extra research slot (regardless of the name. Example: The USSR have 3 Extra Research Slot NF (2 are mutually Exclusive) the one in the Purge Branch is called "Closed City" or something like that.)
The Beaker with shaking hands under it means research bonus

The only national focuses we have definitely seen that add research slots have all been called either "Extra Research Slot" or "Extra Research Slot II". The last time we saw the UK tree it had three focuses with the beaker icon, and it's safe to assume that "RADAR" and "The Tizard Mission" are not adding extra slots and allow the UK to have seven slots as we have seen what they actually do. So it is the wrong to assume the beaker means an extra research slot.

Reactions:
I agree with Katarian. If you've got a reliable reason to believe the beaker ALWAYS means an extra research slot, post why you think so. But please don't just post speculation as a fact.

Reactions:
I agree with Katarian. If you've got a reliable reason to believe the beaker ALWAYS means an extra research slot, post why you think so. But please don't just post speculation as a fact.
I guess we will just have to wait a week or so and see who is right. But just because you think you know something doesn't mean you do. EDIT: So until you DO KNOW, you shouldn't be complaining about design decisions that you OBVIOUSLY know nothing about.

Reactions:
Well, Bakers not always mean extra research slots:

Research Slot and Advanced Weapons have the same Icon but only one of them give a extra research slots.

Source: WWW Japan #3 timestep around 51 min.

Reactions:
Well, Bakers not always mean extra research slots:

Research Slot and Advanced Weapons have the same Icon but only one of them give a extra research slots.

Source: WWW Japan #3 timestep around 51 min.
How OLD is that Screeny? I remember the icon for "Advanced Weapons" being a rocket.
You guys really need to concentrate on the CURRENT videos before you jump to these conclusions.

Reactions:
France have 5 slots in the end. They need to work for it a bit harder, but that is a way to represent troublesome start.
How many slots generally have major power? Does Italy have more? Or Poland?

Actually it would be interesting aproach: add 2 tiers of research focus, one dedicated to different branches of technology research (mutually excluding)
The second with extra research slot.

So in the end France could be superpower, just need to survive long enought

How OLD is that Screeny? I remember the icon for "Advanced Weapons" being a rocket.
You guys really need to concentrate on the CURRENT videos before you jump to these conclusions.

Given the latest videos have been of France who only have "Extra Research Slot" and "Extra Research Slot II" with that icon, we as you can only go off older screenshots and videos. Which have shown that focuses with that icon were not exclusively adding research slots.

Actually the Hungary video did show that "Technology Sharing" had changed it's icon slightly from the Generic Focus Tree dev diary. So you might be correct that that icon is now used exclusively for research slots, but we have only seen France's, Poland's and the Generic trees since then. We certainly can't say that USSR have three research slots nation focuses in their tree because all the videos and screenshots we have seen for USSR have predated the new icons.

Reactions:
Please devs, this needs a clarification.

And if ever France has been solely nerfed only a few days before release, I'd need even more explanations.
As stated in the post below yours, these screenshots you are basing your assumptions on are dated. 1) They are from older WWWs 2) The WWWs don't use the most current version of the game.

So I doubt any changes have been made to France (or anyone else for that matter) 'only a few days before release'. EDIT: Because generally, even in the age of digital distribution, a game is final at least 2 weeks before release.

Reactions:
They need to work for it a bit harder, but that is a way to represent troublesome start.
How many slots generally have major power? Does Italy have more? Or Poland?

But that doesn't make sense : France was as research competitive as other great powers in 1936, no doubt on that. So if it still is that annoying "France-needs-a-nerf", at least, let's do it the right way. France is amputated from 75% of her land doctrines research speed yet, isn't it enough, really ? Ok, let's reduce the Field Marshal generals' skill by 1 lvl, but something coherent, please !

Reactions:
I guess we will just have to wait a week or so and see who is right. But just because you think you know something doesn't mean you do. EDIT: So until you DO KNOW, you shouldn't be complaining about design decisions that you OBVIOUSLY know nothing about.

I'm not complaining about any design choices, I'm complaining about people making baseless claims as a fact. You're not really the one to call others out on "thinking they know something", YOU are the one who claimed that the beaker in these aged screenshots always means an extra research slot and didn't present any proof or source whatsoever.

Can you show which current video made you jump to the conclusion that the focuses you're referring to are extra research slots?

Last edited:
Reactions:
The Beaker means extra research slot (regardless of the name...

NO the icons represents categories. The beakers are science related. Extra research slot is tagged...extra research slot, how peculiar !

If we would follow your way of thinking as the US "destroyers for bases" icon is a ship's wheel and US has 3 ship's wheel icons there would be 3 "destroyers for bases" focuses.

For the USSR, the "war with Japan" icon has 2 crossed knifes, as this symbol appears 8 more times there would be 8 "war with Japan" focuses...

For Italy, the "Pact of Iron" icon has 2 hands shaking, as this symbol appears 6 more times there would be 6 "Pact of Iron" focuses...

Reactions:
France was the biggest landpower at that time. As many answered before, the buffs should be a good choice. But in my opinion they should have more devisions at the beginning or more manpower to recruit new.

France lost a research slot to simulate their lack of political will and unity as a general thing - in a similar fashion to how they start with other penalties.

It makes sense that they can't coordinate their research as quickly as other nations given their situation at the time, and considering "research" in this game translates into a lot of things (including doctrines, for example, not just technology), it seems fine as an abstraction.

France is at a disadvantage at the beginning, but a player has the benefit of hindsight and simply has to put in some work to remove their penalties and bring them up to strength. If you get past that, they have incredibly powerful defenses against Germany in their defensive line, a strong army and fairly good industrial capacity, and a strong navy.

It doesn't seem like a big deal, to me. I think it helps simulate them being slow to reform, "victors of WW2" and all that. They're still certainly a top-tier nation in terms of capability in a long-running game, from all I can see.

Reactions:
France was as research competitive as other great powers in 1936, no doubt on that. So if it still is that annoying "France-needs-a-nerf", at least, let's do it the right way. France is amputated from 75% of her land doctrines research speed yet, isn't it enough, really ?

Remember that this change is for the AI to have some ability to prosecute the war correctly if the player is not playing either France or Germany. If you've programmed the AI to be as efficient as possible, it then requires sizable reductions to be able to stay in the proscribed range of results. Changing the leadership isn't going to do it, nor is a doctrine change (and I'm convinced that the doctrines aren't critical - but that's for another thread). Research is one of the few things that can seriously hamper a nation, so it's the route they chose to go.

As long as people expect some measure of realistic results (and I'm with them on that request), it makes sense that you have to sacrifice some realism to get there. The AI simply isn't strong enough to efficiently hamper itself enough to get the results we need. As has been pointed out before, France has to be in far worse shape than she was historically to get the whole war to play out correctly. If Germany can't beat France (which it probably couldn't without these limitations) - the war ends around 40 with Germany getting smashed to bits in the France/UK blender.

Reactions:
I wonder if anyone else but France lost slots. Are the other majors still at 4 slots + 1 unlockable through the NF tree?
You have no idea if France "lost" slots. It was always a mistake to assume that all majors had 4 and all minors had 3. This was never stated by the devs, and there was nothing about the number of research slots for France in the DD. Nor for USA or any of the others I can see.

Nor was it ever confirmed majors could only gain one extra slot. It was a rather odd assumption when it was clear from an early point that minors could gain up to two.

Reactions:
1200.jpg

because of this mostly. Paradox need to ensure the german AI can pull off what it did historically and the usual way to do that is nerfing poland and france. unfortunate, but it has to be done otherwise germany would have no teeth

Reactions:
NO the icons represents categories. The beakers are science related. Extra research slot is tagged...extra research slot, how peculiar !

If we would follow your way of thinking as the US "destroyers for bases" icon is a ship's wheel and US has 3 ship's wheel icons there would be 3 "destroyers for bases" focuses.

For the USSR, the "war with Japan" icon has 2 crossed knifes, as this symbol appears 8 more times there would be 8 "war with Japan" focuses...

For Italy, the "Pact of Iron" icon has 2 hands shaking, as this symbol appears 6 more times there would be 6 "Pact of Iron" focuses...
The beakers were for general research related NFs. Now there is a new icon (beaker with two hands shaking below it) for most research time bonuses, though some have a very specific icon. Such as that for nuclear research bonuses, which has a mushroom cloud, or for RADAR research, which has a Chain Home type radar tower.

An icon with just 2 hands shaking, covers a range of friendly diplomatic actions, such as guaranteeing, inviting someone to your faction, or sending volunteers.

In pictures/videos of NF trees using the latest icons, the icons with a beaker only represent extra research slots.