Why did France lose a research slot?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
what any of this has to do with Austria or Turkey. I am talking about France and its possibilities in a war against Germany ... or England ... whatever. if 100% of the time will be war against Germany and defeat in a month .. what a crap of sandbox game.

I dont play those games and i dont care about those games and his setups.

I do not want "equal" countries. I want a France to do others things than what she did in reality what is according to global circumstances or its neighbors actions and not in any way artificially worsened or nerfed because Germany has to win the Battle of France yes or yes.
I think what we all want is basically the same, we are just expressing it in different ways:
Loading up as Cuba and letting the AI duke it out should result in Germany defeating France in ~90% of the games with historical AI focuses, but only ~60% of the games with random focuses. Of course if France is in the allies, stalemate in 1940 equals Allied victory a few years later as they have more resources and can have trade or even direct support from the Americans. What USSR would do in a world with no Barbarossa is an open question that I won't answer here.

Reactions:
@potski

I'm not saying France has been crippled or threatened with the nerf stick yet; I'm saying that certain posters are suggesting they should be.

Also: see Italy.

Reactions:
Do you want Austria or Turkey to sometimes win the war?

This isn't Stellaris or CIV with a random set-up that should provide fairly balanced starting positions.
People do world conquest as Ryukyu or Albania in EU4, despite starting from roughly historical point and force setup. Turkey reclaiming some of their lost power isn't really farther fetched than that. For that matter we'll more than likely see some people pull that off. And?

People to pull that off, possibly but very difficult. But not the AI because all countries are roughly created equally. This is absolutely not EU4, where everyone starts off small, with limited resources/provinces/armies. This is the modern era where huge variations existed in 1936 between the countries at either end of the spectrum.

The difficulty that Paradox have is that the asymmetric country set-ups have to work for:
- SP for France players
- SP for everyone else
- MP

For everyone that wants France or Italy to be buffed, there will be many many more that would be very frustrated by that. If for example, the France AI goes storming into Western Germany in September 1939 with an armoured blitzkrieg, while Germany is dealing with Poland. There would be little to do playing as UK and nothing left in Europe for a USA player. Or if the Italy AI can take control of the Western Med from the UK, and land troops to capture Suez, Alexandria and Cairo within months of the start of the war, there would be outrage.

Paradox have a difficult balancing act to make the game playable for everyone. This doesn't mean that they have deliberately created France to always fail. They have created France to fail:
- most of the time
- against invasion from both Germany and Italy
- when under AI control
- in historic mode.

The player is not constrained by historic mode - they can do whatever they want. They don't have to join the Allies and guarantee Poland. They don't have to build heavy tanks to make their divisions very slow, nor equip their infantry with ineffective anti-tank weapons, nor leave the Belgium border loosely defended with their worst generals in command and no fortifications. Players have the benefit of hindsight and can do a better job than happened IRL in May 1940.

No-one wants a player controlled France to be defeated in less than a month. They want a player controlled France to be playable - interesting and a challenge, and fun.

You can only know that by playing the game next week. Not by getting hung up over whether France has 3+1, 3+2 or 4+1 research slots.
It's actually 3+1+1. The last slot is gated, and only available with 75 factories. You need to do some work building your industry. And if you haven't taken the NF by 1940 and lose Metropolitan France then you will never get it.

http://www.hoi4wiki.com/National_Focus#France

Reactions:
People do world conquest as Ryukyu or Albania in EU4, despite starting from roughly historical point and force setup. Turkey reclaiming some of their lost power isn't really farther fetched than that. For that matter we'll more than likely see some people pull that off. And?
Of course EU4 covers 6-700 years(? never got EU4 and never really got into EU3)...HOI IV covers 12 years (unless you want to keep playing with no scripted events, every nation having already completed their NF tree, etc.

People to pull that off, possibly but very difficult. But not the AI because all countries are roughly created equally. This is absolutely not EU4, where everyone starts off small, with limited resources/provinces/armies. This is the modern era where huge variations existed in 1936 between the countries at either end of the spectrum.
Uhmm, I don't think you've played EU4 if you think it's a game where everyone starts similarly small and there's no vast difference in power between countries...

It starts in 1444, with countries at the power level they had at that time. Some have single province and couple thousand soldiers, while others have hundreds of each. Very much like HOI, in fact.

I reckon France is still really powerful. Start with really bad orga and political power but French Empire does not lack ressources. Maybe a bit of oil but compared to Germany France won't be refrain due to lack of ressources. As a demicratie she'll need more time to mobilize and need just to hold axe's force until she's mobilized.

EDIT: How does one even disagree with a question?

PARADOX FORUM RULE 1: IF A TOPIC SOUNDS REMOTELY NEGATIVE AGAINST PARADOX, peace be with them oh creators of the most complex games which I can barely fathom, SMASH THAT RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE BUTTON

I am a bot, please contact paradox for questions.

Reactions: