• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"Have to" is too strong. It makes the set-up predictable. The goodie can then go public and say "I'm OEO, I have a rival, he's probably a baddie". Wolves are now down a man and there's a tough to hunt likely goodie to coordinate a JL. Goodie-baddie rivalries are just a bad idea in general I think. Perhaps make the goodie cursed so you end up with some pack infighting, but other than that it'll be too skewed one way or another.
Had forgotten about cursed. Yeah you can use that too. But if the goodie isn't OEO or cursed how will you then balance that rival pair?

Had forgotten about cursed. Yeah you can use that too. But if the goodie isn't OEO or cursed how will you then balance that rival pair?
That's exactly why I think it's best to just not have a baddie-goodie rival pair. Which leads into the other problem of goodie-goodie rivals working together and betting the other will get hunted before the game is over. Generally speaking I think it's best to just not have rivals. They add little to the game and create unnecessary balancing problems.

how will you then balance that rival pair?
Badly. That's why rivals shouldn't be included there isn't a good way to balance them by themselves and adding OEO or curses just adds to the possibility of things go wrong.

I sort of like my version of rivals. Players who hate each other and have a special incentive to get the other lynched (winning a free trait) and only lynched (so no shooting or hunting of the rival). Ditch the requirement that they need their rival to die for either to win the game, and you can make any two players each other's rivals. One-sided rivalries are also a fine idea, as far as I'm concerned. I didn't fully flesh it out or execute it that well in my Big, but I think it's a workable concept.

I agree that in their usual form, they don't add much to the game and present some serious balance issues, though.