• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
i don't know if you have this event at all, but....the Afghan-Persian war 1836-1838...

On November 22, 1837, Mohammed, Shah of Persia, laid siege to the city of Herat, historically the western gateway to Afghanistan and northern India. Russian officers provided support and advice to the Iranian army. Herat was defended by an Afghan garrison, under Yar Mohammed. After a somewhat desultory siege, an attempt was made to storm the place on June 24, 1838. The Persians were repulsed with a loss of 1700 men. From this time a tacit armistice existed till September 9, 1838, when the Shah withdrew his army. The defenders of Herat are estimated to have lost about 1000, while the Persians lost about 2000.

The British, fearful that Persia was falling completely under Russian influence, entered into alliances with the rulers of Herat, Kabul, and Qandahar. A British mission to Kabul under Captain (later Sir) Alexander Burnes in 1837 was welcomed by Dost Mohammad, who hoped the British would help him recover Peshawar. Burnes could not give him the required assurances; and when a Russian agent, Captain P. Vitkevich, appeared in Kabul, the British left for India. Dost Mohammad began negotiations with Vitkevich.

Also this, the Afghan-Sikh war also knwon as the Jihad of Dost Mohammed, in 1836...

While the Afghan ruler, Dost Mohammad, was busy defeating an invasion by ex-shah Shuja in 1834, the Sikhs moved into territory ruled directly by Kabul. In 1836 Dost Mohammad declared a jihad, or Islamic holy war and an Afghan army advanced toward Sikh controlled Peshawar. Afghan forces under the command of Dost Mohammad's son, defeated the Sikhs at Jamrud, a post some 15 kilometers west of Peshawar. The Afghan leader, however, did not follow up this triumph by retaking Peshawar. Some sources suggest that the Sikh leader Ranjit Singh sowed dissension in Dost Mohammad's camp and the invading army melted away, and Peshawar was permanently lost to the Afghans.

Dost Mohammad decided to contact the British directly for help in dealing with the Sikhs. In the spring of 1836 he wrote the new governor general of India, Lord Auckland, a letter of congratulations and asked his advice on dealing with the Sikhs. Just as Dost Mohammad's letter formally set the stage for British intervention in Afghanistan, so also did Lord Auckland's reply foreshadow the duplicitous policy of the British in dealing with the Afghans. Auckland responded that he would send a commercial mission to Kabul and stated that "it is not the practice of the British Government to interfere with the affairs of other independent states."

Sorry if you have them lol, but if you don't hope they help!

Egyptian naval weirdness

I cannot seem to get to CORE website, so here goes a badly disguised bug report.

I haven't played Vicky for a long time now and never with the latest version of VIP (ironically, the only one I ever made any contribution to), so I decided to go back and try out Egypt. Of course, the first order of business for me is putting the governance of the country on a more rational basis, and that involves abandoning patently useless provinces, such as, in the case of Egypt, the Hejaz.

Sure enough, I've discovered that my entire navy really likes the idea of sailing under the flag of the future Arab Revolt, so they defect to Hejaz. Not to any other potential satellite, mind you, but only to Hejaz. After going into the scenario setup file, well, of course, when the Arabic culture was broken up, all the ships of the Egyptian fleet remained "Arabic", which is incidentally the same tag as the Hejazi national culture. There are probably other situations of this sort.

thanks for the report, that will have to be fixed for 0.5.

These events do exist, but they seemed a little lackluster to me. Why don't you try a game out as Afghanistan or British India, they're the ones with the relevant events.

hi I don't know if this is worth mentioning.

But there is an event that the Ottomans will cede Lybia to Italy. It goes something like cede state Tripoli, sede state Bengazi, cede rodos.

However it didn't work for me properly as Italy, I only got rhode island, didn't get the two Lybia states which is under OE's full control. Maybe it's because Lybia is in Africa and is not a state of the OE ?

lz14 said:
hi I don't know if this is worth mentioning.

But there is an event that the Ottomans will cede Lybia to Italy. It goes something like cede state Tripoli, sede state Bengazi, cede rodos.

However it didn't work for me properly as Italy, I only got rhode island, didn't get the two Lybia states which is under OE's full control. Maybe it's because Lybia is in Africa and is not a state of the OE ?

will check - it should cede Libya as well as Rhodes (you got the island of SW Turkey - to confirm you did not get a piece of North America).

lol, sorry yeah rodos was good.

And it was after the war with OE. And during the war France as the ally send bunch of troops and expenditure forces from Algeria into Lybia and occupied most of it, don't know if that affects anything.

jamy30 said:
i dont no when this war is but the uk have 3 unsuccessful wars with afganistan. you can try and find it on wikipedia

Have you downloaded VIP? The 1841 invasion is already in, and I think the one in the late 1870s-early 1880s is as well.

Please check through the event files before proposing ideas for events, no sense wasting Paradox' limited bandwidth.

Edit : a list of a large portions of the events in 1.04B can be found here

And a preliminary list of new events (in part) planned for for VIP 0.5 can be found here

jamy30 said:
sry, never knew. this is the first time ive looked at these forums. how do i download this file?

the mod (0.4 and the 0.4B patch) can be downloaded from the links here

the list, however, I think however is a webpage.

jamy30 said:
i downloaded the files from a link on your name, i downloaded and unzipped them. will these now effect the game?

Yes if you apply them over the original files from Victoria you have on your hard drive.

Note, the mod is designed for Victoria version 1.03C. If you are using the 1.04 patch for Victoria, VIP will not work properly.

jamy30 said:
ive got 1.04, what particular folder do i put these files into in my hardrive

I would stay with basic 1.04 for now and not apply the VIP mod. VIP will have 0.5, which will be optimized for 1.04, in a few weeks.

jamy30 said:
so when 0.5 comes out in a few weeks, ill replace those files over the game files, which is on patch 1.04.

If I understand you correctly, then yes.

You have the basic game from the CD, and then apply patches from Paradox to bring it up to date (or if you got the "on demand" version that is, IIRC, already done and you have 1.04).

Once VIP 0.5 comes out it will have an installer that will allow you to install the modifications on top of the base game files.

Many players actually make a duplicate copy of the game on their harddrive (simply copy the contents of your victoria folder into another empty folder) so that they have both the original version of Victoria and the modded version with VIP (or whichever other mod they may use) separate. This is because mods with Victoria must over-write the base files with new data, so that you can not play an original Victoria game afterwards if you only have one copy of the game on your HD.