• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is the best news I've read in a while. Finally Rome will get it's "IN" improvement, and make it the game that we've all waited for.

Shall we expect improvements in the diplomatic side of the game? It has some limitations now, most of them caused by the figure of 'tributary countries', which is new to Pdox games and isn't as finetuned as vassals.

Also, the game would need more complex war-peace negotiations to be able to depict historical wars. Current rules cannot depict the results of Punic Wars, with Rome handling over to Numidia the lands of Carthage in the West in exchange of their tribute and loyalty, for example. Other alternative, if dimplomacy and peace negotiations cannot be made deeper, is to create events to recreate that under appropiate historical conditions.

Last edited:
Govenors controlling regions instead of provinces is perhaps the best news about the expansion. And the addition of tyranny has got me excited. I can now finally get in touch with my inner dictator. Yipee!

Looking good, thanks for the news!

I like the new features, especially the inclusion of the senate (looking forward to seeing intrigues between the factions and such) and the improved military AI that will hopefully make the military part more challenging.

Im surprised how brutally honest you were with your description of EU:Rome, good to hear it officially acknowledged... Thx. VV looks tiiight...

The three main character based features that I would like to see included in VV are;

1) Inter-faction Intrigue. It is possible as Ruler to assassinate your members of your own faction, but it'd be good to have characters from the pool attempting to assassinate/smear/discourage loyalty each other. This should be kept to a minimum so that it doesn't become irritating.

2) Royal Marriages / Arranged Marriages. Fairly simple. You should be able to choose who you wish your sons and daughters to marry off to. Maybe even with foreign characters...

3) Your Faction / Foreign Faction Relationships. Maybe it should be possible for characters from your pool (or maybe just the ruling dynasty) to interact with characters from a foreign court which would affect the overall relationship between factions. It would be quite a moral dilemma if the Consul of Rome is a close, personal friend of the King of Macedonia, yet the Senate is calling for his blood. Maybe you'd think twice before DOW.

I don't know how these would work in-game, but I thought they were nice ideas.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Nyrael said:
They won't. And, IMO, the map is alredy bigger then it needs to be.

Agreed. For a game focused on Rome in this time frame, the map is fine.

I really love this expansion so far, and can't bring myself to play Rome again until it's out. Paradox has always been amazing at expansions, and I'm glad to see that continue.

Sheltonious said:
Lol...its funny cause its true.

Because that’s what patches are for! To add more and more new features. Can’t understand why they want us pay so much money for it. They should work on them for free! :rofl:

Really, I can understand, that Rome sucks, although it’s quite fine game for me. But I can’t understand how in the world anybody could call VV a patch….

Walker85 said:
Really, I can understand, that Rome sucks, although it’s quite fine game for me. But I can’t understand how in the world anybody could call VV a patch….

- Patches are supposed to fix bugs. They are free because they deal with features you paid for. When they do add features, it's cherry on the cake.

- Extensions are supposed to add new features. The game you play with is not only fixed, you also get more than what you initially paid for, thanks to hours of development work. So it has a price.

I think PI is very clear about this distinction; at least for VV, as for IN, it is clearly an extension (based on this first preview).

(I confess that I tend to have a doubt about Deus Vult, which I bought as much for getting features fixed as much as for the new features... but well that's not the topic here anyway)

Very interesting

Some nice additions, It should surely make Rome more playable &
i mite actually buy it now :p

Emperor Leo said:
1) Inter-faction Intrigue.

yes, this could lead to some nice events

2) Royal Marriages / Arranged Marriages.

oh no.. no "royal marriage" for a Consul.... :wacko:

3) Your Faction / Foreign Faction Relationships.

this could be a good option for extra diplomatic actions
Not a generic "support rebels" but support _that_ faction to grab the power (so possibly gain a friendly foreign country )