• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looking forward to Vae Victis! Even the features described in this update alone would be enough to improve the game mightily and make it much more playable.

One comment at this point :

I think Rome should not be the only faction with a senate. Carthage was a republic also, with structures very similar to Rome. Senate politics was always an important issue, and determined much of Carthage's deeds on the international scene.

So please give a senate to Carthage also, maybe to some Greek cities. Or at least make it moddable enough so that we can do it ourselves.

Numahr said:
So please give a senate to Carthage also, maybe to some Greek cities. Or at least make it moddable enough so that we can do it ourselves.

I second that wonderful idea for the Greek cities and for Carthage. The (often aristocratic) parliamanets were of exceeding importance in these countries. The correct names for the Greek senates would usually be either Boulé (Council) or else Gerousia (Council of Elders), and for Carthage h'drm, or Hadram if transliterated less correctly (Powerful Ones).

nachinus said:
If I understood correctly, all republics will have a senate
That was also my impression

Looks like par for the Pdox course. Release good-but-not-great game, figure out exactly what the playerbase wants, patch the stuff that can be patched in the regular codebase, then release x-pack to provide features that the devs may not have thought of during the original game's development but the playerbase said "it'd be great if..."

Show me another company (other than Stardock) that does such a superb job of listening to its customers. Go ahead. I'll wait. You might want to book some vacation time for the search.

Wooooo, thanks for this!

How many different government types are there going to be? In the diary, you mention senatorial, monarchical, and tribal. These can't cover all the possibilities, though.

How is Sparta's government represented, for example? Here is how I think you might be able to do it:

Your characters could be assigned to the following positions:

Kings. Nothing terribly new or difficult, just put two people's faces on the Spartan leadership.

Gerousia. Does whatever the senate does.

Ephors. They determine if a character should be destroyed (you can accuse a character of being crap, and they decide yay or nay). They also decide certain things like whether or not to go to war, or maybe you can just have them say "no" if you try and declare war on a country you have excellent relations with.

Any plans like this, or are you going to squeeze every power into the three categories you mentioned?

SimuLord said:
Show me another company (other than Stardock) that does such a superb job of listening to its customers. Go ahead. I'll wait. You might want to book some vacation time for the search.
Well, Sid Meier bothers to answer personal mails from fans, how many world-famous game-gurus does that? :)

nachinus said:
Hey! It's Monday! Where is the dev diary? :D
Doomdark where art thou? :)