• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I notice that the Republicans launched an amphibious invasion, and if I recall correctly there is a Nationalist VP located there, so by holding it the Republicans may be able to prolong the Civil War indefinitely unless the Nationalists figure out how to launch their own invasion? I am not sure how BICE has handled this contingency, given the railroading I am not sure they handle any contingencies really
You note correctly, there are 2 vp's located on Morocco! No clue how on earth republican Spain landed, but they did! They have a national unity of roughly a hundred, so they might hold out for decades, or until Nationalist Spain builds auxiliary cruisers or passenger liners or however the ai commits naval landings.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Uhhh.....
I'd like to pretend that this was an Australian simply snarkily changing Ethiopia's name while chuckling into his beer, but no, this should have been Italy instead.
Well Abyssinia is just a province of Ethiopia but was used to refer to the whole country (like how Holland is just a region of the Netherlands, but is often used to refer to the whole country). So this could be a subtle political point about people accepting the country's name is actually Ethiopia.

Petty Officer Clip ought to be a national hero.
I second this motion.

Reactions:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
RADM Clip will finish the war commanding the whole RAN! Or heir to the French throne. :p

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Educational Micro-update

Screenshot 2021-09-20 at 11.25.55 AM.png

The previously mentioned advanced education investment advance (I pity the Australian who had to say that out loud), had seemingly been implemented, and commendations were arriving at the improved state of the education. An old complaint was that all the teachers had "the same old jokes since 1902".
old-teacher.jpg

"The second Boer war was anything but a bore, and you would do well to remember that!"
These obsolescent teachers were then recalled to the capital, placed in a room, and forcibly read joke books about the Great War, and other modern innovations. They were then sent back to schools.
otto-frank-75-yr-old-father-of-anne-frank-on-the-twentieth-century-episode-who-killed-anne-fra...jpg

Have you ever heard the tale of Archie Duke and the hungry ostriches?
(Thanks Blackadder for that joke by the way)

• 5Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I dunno, though... there is something to be said for tradition...

• 4Like
Reactions:
Tradition! Tradition!

• 3Like
Reactions:
An enjoyable micro-update! I pity the students...

• 2Like
Reactions:
Neither of those teachers is inspiring much confidence I must admit. But the first one at least has a blackboard and decent windsor knot in his tie, these are reassuring features, even if the jacket/hat comob is a sartorial disaster. The second man has a quite terrible tie, both in knot and pattern, and appears to be trapped inside a box constructed from poor quality plywood. If King Haakon has taught us nothing (and many would say he did) it is to distrust inferior grades of plywood, lest they be part of a Baltic plot/Soviet MDF scheme/used to construct a Luxembourgish palace which subsequently collapses.

Thus, on this rock solid logical basis, I add my voice to those supporting tradition and the original teachers.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
New year resolution update

2/11/36 - 2/2/37
As the tradition dictated, A great cheer went up at Yarralumla as the Year ticked over, having ended the first year of Alexander Arkwrights (not quite) control over Australia. The instant it ended, the cabinet gathered to discuss where the majority of government funding should be focused. Lyons checked his notebook for his new years speech, blinked twice, rechecked it, and hastily scratched out the 1936 on his funding request envelope.
New year no me.PNG

This time, however, Alexander made his decision near instantly. "So, Alexander, There are a number of areas where we can invest in, to lay a focus for the new year-" "Ships." "What?" "Ships, I want ships. More of them, and soon." "But you didn't even hear the other op-" "Did I stutter? I want ships." With that, the "decision" had been made.
Shippery.PNG

Production of better parts for existing shipyards, and construction of brand new shipyards began near immediately

In the meantime, researchers had finished many designs.
Technology feb 1937.PNG

Tech feb2.PNG

tech feb 3.PNG

Tech feb final.PNG
Among these less important designs was the completion of a new Fighter design! When Richard Williams arrived to read the designs, he was astonished to find, instead of a better designed biplane, a brand new monoplane fighter. After a test flight he spent the next day congratulating the Commonwealth aircraft corporation for designing him a masterpiece.
1633406598677.png

hawker picture.PNG

It took them 5 drinks to work up the nerve to tell him that the fighter was just imported, and not one of their own, at which he responded with his sad thousand yard stare. When they tried to calm him down, he responded with "I'm not angry, just disappointed."
Hawker.PNG

Meanwhile, Lyons was fuming. Not only had Alexander declined his program to expand the land army, but he did not even look at it! When He had confronted the Governer general afterward, claiming that as the Prime minister, he was allowed to make the decisions on how his nation should be managed, Alexander had replied "If you remember, I have an overseas war to plan, and as I am certain you are aware, overseas wars need a method to cross said sea, so I need a Navy!", Completely ignoring any questions on who should be leading Australia in the future. Then, Lyons came up with a plan. A horrible plan. An evil plan. A horrible, evil plan. He sent a telegram to the French ambassador, requesting a private meeting. No one was to accompany either of them, and they were to meet in his hotel.

The French ambassador arrived, completely unaware of any power struggle. "Oui Monsieur? Je suis arrive." Lyons looked up from his notepad, which the ambassador noted had a picture of a French tank on it. "So. Tell me about those tanks..."
Char B1.PNG

To be continued, along with the adventures of Lavarack soon!

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Among these less important designs was the completion of a new Fighter design!
It was too much to expect an original design right away, but perhaps soon the Wirraway shall make an appearance?

The French ambassador arrived, completely unaware of any power struggle. "Oui Monsieur? Je suis arrive." Lyons looked up from his notepad, which the ambassador noted had a picture of a French tank on it. "So. Tell me about those tanks..."
An excellent choice, and I look forward to Japan's shock and horror when they meet these beasts!

• 3Like
Reactions:
It took them 5 drinks to work up the nerve to tell him that the fighter was just imported, and not one of their own, at which he responded with his sad thousand yard stare. When they tried to calm him down, he responded with "I'm not angry, just disappointed."
Truer words have certainly been spoken, I imagine.

This said, it should not be too difficult to make the design properly Australian, in fact no real design work needs to be done, all the pilots must simply be trained to fly it upside-down and the planes will be instantly recognizable as Australian! :p

• 4Haha
Reactions:
I can't help but wonder which course of action was followed concerning the shipyards. Those cliff hangers are killing me here...

Ah yes, the old B1 Bis a worthwhile purchase for 1937 Australia, if only the prime minister would approve the bid. Maybe tell him that it's amphibious, and blame the fact that it doesn't end up floating on shoddy french workmanship..

I'm also thinking that if Australia agrees to buy the B1 Bis, they will find very convincing arguments to drop the French order and buy nuclear-powered Shermans instead. This will happen just as the French are gearing up to produce the B1's for Australia, so about a decade into the future. Don't ask me how I know, I come from the future, that's all.

• 5Haha
Reactions:
:D
the ambassador noted had a picture of a French tank on it. "So. Tell me about those tanks..."
More tanks! Bigger tanks! Huzzah!
I would like to note that research is well on track to research light tanks by June -July
And small ones! Huzzah+
perhaps soon the Wirraway shall make an appearance?
Hmm, a nice thought, but I suspect the Hurricane might be the better bet as an interceptor …
I'm also thinking that if Australia agrees to buy the B1 Bis, they will find very convincing arguments to drop the French order and buy nuclear-powered Shermans instead.
:D Well, needs must. Though in this case, a diesel powered Sherman (rather than the petrol engined ‘Ronson’) would probably be sufficient! ;)

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
I can't help but wonder which course of action was followed concerning the shipyards. Those cliff hangers are killing me here...
Whoops, looks like I quite forgot to add that part in! I always choose to build new factories/ shipyards/ research centers, as it provides a long term boost to the economy

Reactions:
This said, it should not be too difficult to make the design properly Australian, in fact no real design work needs to be done, all the pilots must simply be trained to fly it upside-down and the planes will be instantly recognizable as Australian! :p
In fact , a lot of research was probably invested into allowing the spitfire (the other unlocked fighter) to perform upside down flight. IRL this was done in 1939-1941 ish, but because the aussies need to fly them, we did it sooner

• 1Like
Reactions: