• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Senator Marcus Aurelius Scipion (Red demes):

I do not think it would be a good idea to increase taxes to the Exarchates. We already have more than enough enemies and the treasury is growing again.

Senator Ioannes Raoul : (the Whites)

"I agree with Senator Leonidos, we don't really need the few money the Exarchates will send when our administration is overextended."

Senator Philaretos Mandromenos (Red Demes):

*As the silence beset the Senate, Mandromenos finally could turn his attention to the message from Columbo*

Well, Well. Trying to play me against another I see... Two snakes seeking to bite the others throat. Very well, perhaps I should allow them to play their little games.

*He begins to write two letters, one to each senator to be delivered to them after the voting is over*

To the esteemed Speaker of the Blues
Fear not the honeyed words of our friend. As a Senator I am accustomed to the lesser aristoi attempting to get unearned favors from me. I will not be so easily mislead.

However, I understand that it would be folly to not consider the arrangement you proposed. To aid in the bond we wish to form, I would like to make an arrangement myself. If I remember correctly, your family is skilled in the art of trade and merchanting. I happen to represent a large collective of craftsmens and business owners in the archonate of Morea. While business is going well, I am afraid that the Plague and the Riots managed to kill many of our customers. Naturally, this will not do. If you would use your contacts among the traders and merchants of the Imperium to find buyers for my quality goods, I am sure that I will be able to compensate you in both material goods and other manners. Meet me in my residence in the city tonight so we can discuss this matter and others further.

Your hopeful partner
Sen. P. Mandromenos

To my friend Desmetri,

I would like to discuss the state of our Red Demes further, just you and me. Perhaps we can make an arrangement that will prove beneficial for the Senate and the Imperium.

Meet me at noon in my residence in the City in two days.

Your hopeful ally,
Sen. P. Mandromenos

{{I am not your pawn, I am a player in this little game, and I shall benefit from it.}}

Last edited:
Senator Ioannes Raoul : (the Whites)

"I agree with Senator Leonidos, we don't really need the few money the Exarchates will send when our administration is overextended."
Leon Taurinus (Red Demes)

"You fools. The Horde's supporters are roaming freely along our northern territories! Taurica is on the verge of being lost, the Horde is looking to invade Thracia! And you all are too afraid of displeasing the Exarchates of distant Africa. If they expect our protection we must demand that they help us to support the army to crush the rebels! We are faced with many foes within and without and we must find more funds for the army to deal with this problem!
I beg you, do not hand over so many loyal and ancient provinces of the Imperium to the enemy to please our distant colonies!"

"You fools. The Horde's supporters are roaming freely along our northern territories! Taurica is on the verge of being lost, the Horde is looking to invade Thracia! And you all are too afraid of displeasing the Exarchates of distant Africa. If they expect our protection we must demand that they help us to support the army to crush the rebels! We are faced with many foes within and without and we must find more funds for the army to deal with this problem!
I beg you, do not hand over so many loyal and ancient provinces of the Imperium to the enemy to please our distant colonies!"
{{ Fun fact - there are more Mongol rebels alone in the Imperium right now than there are Roman soldiers:

zVfGRGI.jpg
}}

Reactions:
Senator Lazaros II. Melissenos (White)

Senator Taurinus, until a few years ago, these „distant colonies“ were seen as ancient core lands of the Imperium. Agyptus in particular was roman even in ancient times and an it's an important part too, the corn chamber of the mediterranean. We should be careful that these lands are not lost forever just because we make a hasty decision.

{{ Yes you can.}}

Senator Decius Pylaeus (Faction Speaker of the White Demes)

*To the Senate*

I have to agree with my fellow senators that also support not taxing the exarchates further. Our administrative ressources are needed elsewhere. For instance, they me be useful in the rebuilding of the queen of cities. The jewel of the world is in a shameful state right now. If we were to bring the powerful Italians, who are on the brink of rebellion and who have apparently forgotten what it means to be truly Roman, to the city, then what would happen?

They would see the weakness that plagues us. They would know that our ressourced are focussed inwards. Hearing about a rebellion is one thing, seeing its effects with own eyes is different. We shall not present such an opportunity to them. Let us not invite them to the Synod or the trial.

Senator Lazaros II. Melissenos (White)

Senator Taurinus, until a few years ago, these „distant colonies“ were seen as ancient core lands of the Imperium. Agyptus in particular was roman even in ancient times and an it's an important part too, the corn chamber of the mediterranean. We should be careful that these lands are not lost forever just because we make a hasty decision.

Leon Taurinus (red Demes)
*Barley stifling his anger*
"Hasty, decisions.

The Imperium has rebels rampaging from Taurica to Agyptus and the Imperial army needs to recieve all the funds we can muster to help them. The loyal and true Romans in the Exarchates will understand and be happy to support the Imperium because helping the army will help them as well for we are all Romans!
Letting rebels ravage the Imperium because we're afraid of possible rebels in the future, that is Madness and would border on treason!"

{{Wow that's a lot of rebels. Maybe we could make some federati provinces of Mongols and hire the rebels to serve in the army. or we could find the Mongol Bishop and hope he rolls a 20 on his diplomacy to convince them all the join us.}}

Leon Taurinus (red Demes)
*Barley stifling his anger*
"Hasty, decisions.

The Imperium has rebels rampaging from Taurica to Agyptus and the Imperial army needs to recieve all the funds we can muster to help them. The loyal and true Romans in the Exarchates will understand and be happy to support the Imperium because helping the army will help them as well for we are all Romans!
Letting rebels ravage the Imperium because we're afraid of possible rebels in the future, that is Madness and would border on treason!"

{{Wow that's a lot of rebels. Maybe we could make some federati provinces of Mongols and hire the rebels to serve in the army. or we could find the Mongol Bishop and hope he rolls a 20 on his diplomacy to convince them all the join us.}}

Senator Ioannes Raoul (The Whites) :

"We have to choose our fights senators. We can't afford to defeat both heretics and Mongols with the current state of the Army. So Senator Taurinus which do you choose ? The Mongols or the Angelodouloi ?"

{{ Fun fact - there are more Mongol rebels alone in the Imperium right now than there are Roman soldiers:

zVfGRGI.jpg
}}

{{That isn't surprising, but it is worrisome.}}

{{Or we could find the Mongol Bishop and hope he rolls a 20 on his diplomacy to convince them all the join us.}}
{{Where is Bubba when you need him. :p}}

Reactions:
Senator Ioannes Raoul (The Whites) :

"We have to choose our fights senators. We can't afford to defeat both heretics and Mongols with the current state of the Army. So Senator Taurinus which do you choose ? The Mongols or the Angelodouloi ?"

"I support calling a Synod to deal with this matter without resorting to bloodshed. We need to gather the Bishops, bring the Italian nobles, the Angelodouloi all to the Synod and condemn their teachings and either let them recant or imprison them. I'll leave the details of the Synod to the Bishops, but what I am certain of is that we must avoid any chance for the heretics to raise rebellions in Italia or anywhere else so that the army can go back to fighting barbarians instead of the Imperium's own citizens!
Surely any true Roman would agree on such a goal."

Last edited:
SEVENTH SENATE SESSION - VOTING

6x6rCbi.jpg

IIllustrious President of the Imperial Senate, kephalos of Paphlagonia and archon of Sinope, strategos Isaakios Komnenos

THE DEBATE HAS ENDED

BALLOTS
The noble Senators shall vote using the following ballots:

RESOLUTIONS
(1) Synodos – convening the Synode
Shall we convene Synodos of the Holy Church in order to resolve the Angeloduloi controversy?
  • „House <NAME> votes AYE.”
  • „House <NAME> votes NAY.”
(2) Synodos – summoning Sophia Angelos
Shall we summon Our cousin Sophia of the Great House Angelos, daughter of Niketas, to the Synodos to renounce or reaffirm her views?
(3) Synodos – summoning the Italians
Shall the archontes and patricians governing Italia in Our name be summoned to observe the proceedings of the Synodos?
(4) Trial – arresting Sophia Angelos
Shall we order Our cousin Sophia of the Great House Angelos, daughter of Niketas, to be imprisoned and put on trial on charges of blasphemy?
(5) Trial – sending Black Tagma
Shall we order Athanatoi to apprehend Our cousin Sophia of the Great House Angelos, daughter of Niketas, using all means necessary?
(6) Trial – summoning the Italians
Shall the archontes and patricians governing Italia in Our name be summoned to observe the proceedings during the trial?
(7) Exarchates – raising tariffs (subjects)
Shall We raise tariffs for Exarchate of Abyssinia and Exarchate Africanus?
(8) Resolution of the Imperial Senate
The Imperial Senate expresses its great sorrow at the senseless and vicious attack at His Excellency Archbishop of Konstantinoupolis and Ecumenical Patriarch Niketas Dalassenos, as well as expresses its unwavering support and gratitude for the megas domestikos Nikephoros Dalassenos who, despite losing his dear brother, carried out duties of his office with utmost dilligence and dedication.

OBLIGATORY FACTION MEMBERSHIP STATEMENT
Every Senator must include a statement in a post in which he votes using one of the following templates:
  • „Senator <name> STAYS IN the <name> Demes.”
  • „Senator <name> LEAVES the <name> Demes and JOINS the <name> Demes.”
  • „Senator <name> LEAVES the <name> Demes and BECOMES UNAFFILIATED.”
  • „Senator <name> REMAINS UNAFFILIATED.”
  • „Senator <name> JOINS the <name> Demes.”

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
GENERAL
  • Every Senator has 1 vote.
  • You vote only in this thread and only in-character.
  • You vote by posting a single post („voting post”) which includes (1) your character's name and Faction, if he is a Faction member (2) your vote in a form of ballots (3) obligatory Faction membership statement.
  • Your voting post may also include (4) closing argument no longer than 5 sentences.
  • Making other in-character posts during the voting makes your vote invalid.
  • In case you are not sure what to do, please PM me.
HOW TO VOTE - TEMPLATE
Code:
[size=4][b]Senator Simplus Exemplus (White Demes)[/b][/size]
This is my closing statement: I'm here to show you how to vote. I have nothing more to say. Glory to the Angeloi!

[size=4][b]BALLOTS[/b]
(1) Synodos – convening the Synode[/b][/size]
House Exemplus votes AYE.
[size=4][b](2) Synodos – summoning Sophia Angelos[/b][/size]
House Exemplus votes NAY.
[size=4][b](3) Synodos – summoning the Italians[/b][/size]
[size=4][b](4) Trial – arresting Sophia Angelos [/b][/size]
[size=4][b](5) Trial – sending Black Tagma[/b][/size]
[size=4][b](6) Trial – summoning the Italians[/b][/size]
[size=4][b](7) Exarchates – raising tariffs (subjects)[/b][/size]
[size=4][b](8) Resolution of the Imperial Senate[/b][/size]
[size=4][b]OBLIGATORY FACTION MEMBERSHIP  STATEMENT[/b][/size]
Senator Exemplus Simplus STAYS IN the Red Demes.
THE VOTING STARTS NOW AND LASTS UNTIL 23:00 TOMORROW (5 NOVEMBER)

{{ Results of the voting will be available online on Google Docs. }}

Senator Flavius Lucius Mojmirid

RESOLUTIONS
(1) Synodos – convening the Synode
House Mojmirid votes AYE.

House Mojmirid votes NAY

House Mojmirid votes NAY.”

House Mojmirid votes NAY.

The Imperial Senate expresses its great sorrow at the senseless and vicious attack at His Excellency Archbishop of Konstantinoupolis and Ecumenical Patriarch Niketas Dalassenos, as well as expresses its unwavering support and gratitude for the megas domestikos Nikephoros Dalassenos who, despite losing his dear brother, carried out duties of his office with utmost diligence and dedication.

Every Senator must include a statement in a post in which he votes using one of the following templates:

Senator Flavius Lucius Mojmirid LEAVES the Red Demes and JOINS the Blue Demes.

Senator Lodovico di Capponi (White Demes)
*Lodovico merely rises, and announces his vote. Smiles, then returns to his seat. *

BALLOTS
(1) Synodos – convening the Synode[/b]

House di Capponi votes AYE.
House di Capponi votes NAY.
Senator Lodovico di Capponi STAYS IN the White Demes.

Last edited: