Things that need to be fixed before "La Resistance" comes.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The region of South Bessarabia was part of Romania and had a significant Romanian population, a lot more than Ukrainian and slightly more than Russian, this is why it has a core, you should look at interwar Poland and Czechoslovakia's ethnic maps. It wasn't an absolute majority (>50%) but it was a majority.

This is about game mechanics not history, but if you insist: every country in that time tried assimilation, I don't see how this makes Romania special. The banned minority languages part is false. You mean the Bolshevik sponsored Tatarbunary uprising? which kind of says everything about it.

I did not say that "the Ukrainian SSR never claimed South Bessarabia", I said that "South Bessarabia was never previously part of Ukraine", which is less of an idea and more of a fact. Can you name when South Bessarabia used to be part of Ukraine or even the Ukrainian SSR prior to 1940? Unless you can prove otherwise, the argument that Ukraine never had South Bessarabia prior to 1940 still stands.

Moreover, the Ukrainian SSR was just an internal puppet of the Soviet Union, Ukraine didn't exist as a state, it was a Soviet claim dating back to 1917, not an Ukrainian one, and one of my points mention that USSR should get a claim on South Bessarabia too after Ribbentrop-Molotov Pact.

An independent Ukraine claimed all of Bessarabia and tried to annex it during their war of independence in 1919, on what grounds was the claim I don't know, but the interwar Ukraine was a USSR puppet, not to mention that a claim is only a claim and doesn't make for a core.

So why there should not be an Ukrainian core? It wasn't part of Ukraine when the game started, it wasn't part of Ukraine anytime in history before 1940 and the Ukrainians were the 4th largest ethnic group in South Bessarabia. If we set the bar this low, Russia and Bulgaria should also have a core since they had more people than Ukraine, and other states where another ethnicity has about 20% of the population, which is absurd for both gameplay reasons (having many regions with multiple cores) and historical reasons (it was only 20% of the population but you get 100% of manpower and factories with 0 ressistance).

The Tatarbunary incident was orchestrated by the USSR, a quick google should tell you that. I'm pretty sure that Bulgarians would prefer to live in Bulgaria and consider the Ukrainians just another foreigner, they were both slavs and Romania was latin but I wonder how many Bulgarians would fight and die for Ukraine? And in the case of Russia, if in-game Ukraine becomes independent out of a civil war, nazi victory and creation of a puppet state, do you think the Russians would be happy living in that state? Last time there was an independent Ukraine they fought each other, the Ukrainian SSR was a USSR puppet so you cannot compare it with USSR because the Russians in Ukrainian USSR lived in 'Russia' not in 'Ukraine'.

1. So what is gameplay reason for removing core?
  2. 18,3% of Romanians in South Bessarabia borders. Less than Bulgarians and Russians, so they were not majority as you claim.
  3. You need to read up on minority treatment. Bulgarians had it worse under Romania than under Tsars, so even they would prefer Ukraine. Russians living in Ukraine didn't riot for Russia too even in civil war.
  4. Bolsheviks controlling Ukraine don't dismiss argument. Both Bolsheviks and nationalists saw it as one of Ukrainian core territories.
  5. Lastly, it was seen as Ukrainian territory by Ukrainian delegation in Versailles. If you dismiss natiolist POV, you have Soviet Ukraine considering it as their core and taking.
Map_of_Ukraine_for_Paris_Peace_Conference.jpg

Why don't give Ukraine a claim in Southern Bessarabia (or all of Bessarabia) instead of a core?

Because Romanians made up just 18,3% of population of Budjak and relied on police and secret police to control land, crushing revolts and protests too, with a regime that was significantly harsher than Polish control of Western Ukraine.
They were not even remotely close to being undisputed owners of the land they took less than 20 years ago and the core is there to represent it as well as the fact that Slavic population would join either Ukraine or Russia in a heartbeat.

So there should be good reasons for removing that core, which I would like to hear.

2. 18,3% of Romanians in South Bessarabia borders. Less than Bulgarians and Russians, so they were not majority as you claim.
  3. You need to read up on minority treatment. Bulgarians had it worse under Romania than under Tsars, so even they would prefer Ukraine. Russians living in Ukraine didn't riot for Russia too even in civil war.
  4. Bolsheviks controlling Ukraine don't dismiss argument. Both Bolsheviks and nationalists saw it as one of Ukrainian core territories.
  5. Lastly, it was seen as Ukrainian territory by Ukrainian delegation in Versailles. If you dismiss natiolist POV, you have Soviet Ukraine considering it as their core and taking.

Because Romanians made up just 18,3% of population of Budjak and relied on police and secret police to control land, crushing revolts and protests too, with a regime that was significantly harsher than Polish control of Western Ukraine.
They were not even remotely close to being undisputed owners of the land they took less than 20 years ago and the core is there to represent it as well as the fact that Slavic population would join either Ukraine or Russia in a heartbeat.

So there should be good reasons for removing that core, which I would like to hear.
No need to be harsh, I was just proposing it. I'm happy with it being a Ukrainian core.

I guess it's a Romanian core the same way as Carpathian Ruthenia, Western Ukraine or Dobruja are cores of their respective countries, because they've been part of those countries for 20 years and have been assimilated administratively (but not culturally, obviously). They were equal citizens, I guess (with exceptions). Maybe Paradox should use the new comlpliance system to revise some of these cores?

No need to be harsh, I was just proposing it. I'm happy with it being a Ukrainian core.

I guess it's a Romanian core the same way as Carpathian Ruthenia, Western Ukraine or Dobruja are cores of their respective countries, because they've been part of those countries for 20 years and have been assimilated administratively (but not culturally, obviously). They were equal citizens, I guess (with exceptions). Maybe Paradox should use the new comlpliance system to revise some of these cores?

I personally have no idea.
Speaking of, having no cores in Northern Bukovina (essentially Chernivtsi) but Ukraine having them in South Bessarabia is very weird and wrong (I haven't played for a long while in HoI4... still waiting for Soviet update), all while Western Ukraine has cores. I think that it (and... Carpathian Ukraine) should be addressed in Soviet update and given a defenite answer why they put cores in some states and why they decide to not put them in others, it currently looks awfully arbitrary to me.

And I have no issues with Romania having cores. This is actually what should be. The issue is why they think that removing cores is justified, especially in province with 18,3% of Romanian population. Nothing more and nothing less.

Why don't give Ukraine a claim in Southern Bessarabia (or all of Bessarabia) instead of a core?
That would be more realistic, it can have a claim on all of Bessarabia since it claimed all of it in 1919, but to be honest in 1936 it doesn't make much sense, since claims in the game and in real life were official state claims.

To give an example, the people of Hungary wanted all their former territories back, but the officials of Hungary never made a public claim of those territories until before the start of World War II.

1. I already told you: was never party of Ukraine and the population was too small for a core.
  2. Check the map that you yourself provided, and look at it carefully, you'll find that there's slightly more purple (Romanian) than Dark Green (Russian) and a lot more purple (Romanian) than Light Green (Ukrainian).
  3. You need to practice what you preach and read some yourself. Apart from the Ukrainians, where the Romanization was forced and among those who were Romanianized were descendants of Romanians who were assimilated to Ukrainian society in the past, the other ethnic minorities were not forcibly Romanianized, but voluntarily as many of them speak their own languages.
  4. And that makes it good enough for a claim, not for a core. Mussolini saw Nice as core Italian territory, but it wasn't a core. The difference between a core and a claim is a large number of a supportive population.
  5. You don't understand how cores/claims work. A territory is not a core because a country considers it a core, otheriwise Germany will have a lot of cores in Europe. The Ukrainian delegation's claims in Versailles makes for a claim at best, but not a core.
If you want to give Ukraine a core in South Bessarabia just for the sake of having a core, then you should also give a core to Bulgaria and Russia since those nations had more people than Ukrainians. If you want to set the bar for coring as low as 20% of the population.

The Romanians making up just 18,3% of population of Budjak and secret police to control land is pure fantasy, you need to read more history.

And whether the slavic population would like being under Ukraine or Russia more than Romania is debatebale, why would Bulgarians prefer living under Ukraine more than Romania? apart from the state police fantasy argument. They were both slavs and Romania was latin but I wonder how many Bulgarians would fight and die for Ukraine? Using your own logic, why not give a core to Poland in Czechoslovakia as well? I'm pretty sure Czech people would rather join Poland than Nazi Germany.

The reasons are there, you just don't want to hear them.

Check the map that you yourself provided, and look at it carefully, you'll find that there's slightly more purple (Romanian) than Dark Green (Russian) and a lot more purple (Romanian) than Light Green (Ukrainian).
The Romanians making up just 18,3% of population of Budjak and secret police to control land is pure fantasy, you need to read more history.

You make a mistake with map, mixing up 2 admin units (Cetatea Alba and Ismail) and Budjak that was ceded. Those two aren't the same.

You look at whole administrative units data, but border of Budjak did not coincide with them, you can see it on the map with overlay provided there. The numbers you stated in earlier post are more or less correct for combined Ismail + Cetatea Alba but they include whole administrative units. South Bessarabia in question actually has border that doesn't capture bunch of majority-romanian parts, which was also shown on map. Thus Romanian population on territory that became part of Ukraine has smaller amount of Romanians than you think, being around 18,3%.

Lastly, you say that it should be only Romanian core (Moldavia is a similar case). But fact is that if this territory was in USSR or Ukraine it would be able to tap just as much manpower there as a core land. It looks ridiculous to assume that Ukraine or USSR wouldn't be able to tap as much manpower as Romania there, especially given that historically at least USSR did (and Ukraine never had no major issue recruiting Russians as well), which is already more than Romanians.

Does it meet core purpose? Yes. It makes sense than in both states manpower would be used? Yes. So why remove it replace with claim? Especially when in South Bessarabia borders Romanians were 3rd nationality after Bulgarians and Russians in numbers?

You make a mistake with map, mixing up 2 admin units (Cetatea Alba and Ismail) and Budjak that was ceded. Those two aren't the same.

You look at whole administrative units data, but border of Budjak did not coincide with them, you can see it on the map with overlay provided there. The numbers you stated in earlier post are more or less correct for combined Ismail + Cetatea Alba but they include whole administrative units. South Bessarabia in question actually has border that doesn't capture bunch of majority-romanian parts, which was also shown on map. Thus Romanian population on territory that became part of Ukraine has smaller amount of Romanians than you think, being around 18,3%.

Lastly, you say that it should be only Romanian core (Moldavia is a similar case). But fact is that if this territory was in USSR or Ukraine it would be able to tap just as much manpower there as a core land. It looks ridiculous to assume that Ukraine or USSR wouldn't be able to tap as much manpower as Romania there, especially given that historically at least USSR did (and Ukraine never had no major issue recruiting Russians as well), which is already more than Romanians.

Does it meet core purpose? Yes. It makes sense than in both states manpower would be used? Yes. So why remove it replace with claim? Especially when in South Bessarabia borders Romanians were 3rd nationality after Bulgarians and Russians in numbers?
It should stand to common sense that the population will not change significantly since the 2 admin units and the Budjak that was ceded are roughly the same.

On the map that you posted, the South Bessarabia that was ceded is represented with an orange line, unlike the 2 administrative units, it includes parts of Causani and Cimisila that were regions with a larger population and an absolute Romanian majority, but only half of Reni and Volintiri which were others regions with an absolute Romanian majority, with a part of the Cazaci region that had an Ukrainian majority was not included. So it stands to common sense that the population did not change significantly, the deportations of USSR after 1940s is completly another story and not representative for a 1936 or 1939 core.

I'm playing by Hearts of Iron 4's logic for core/claim mechanics. The British and the French drew a lot of manpower from their colonies, the Italians drew native 200.000 troops from Ethiopia that was recently conquered, but in the game you have about 0.3% non-core manpower, with a population of 10.000.000 that is 33.000 manpower that Italy gets from Ethiopa in-game. How well represented is that is a subject for another discussion, but until then we need to be consistent in what we have.

Does it meet core purpose? No, because Romania, Russia and Bulgaria have a lot more population than Ukraine. One could argue that the South Bessarabia that was ceded could potentially have more slightly more Russians than Romanians, having more Bulgarians than Romanians is doubtful and more Ukrainians than Romanians impossible.

I personally have no idea.
Speaking of, having no cores in Northern Bukovina (essentially Chernivtsi) but Ukraine having them in South Bessarabia is very weird and wrong (I haven't played for a long while in HoI4... still waiting for Soviet update), all while Western Ukraine has cores. I think that it (and... Carpathian Ukraine) should be addressed in Soviet update and given a defenite answer why they put cores in some states and why they decide to not put them in others, it currently looks awfully arbitrary to me.

And I have no issues with Romania having cores. This is actually what should be. The issue is why they think that removing cores is justified, especially in province with 18,3% of Romanian population. Nothing more and nothing less.
Yes, Ukraine should start with cores in Carpathian Ruthenia and Northern Bukovina. And Soviets should be able to core Western Belarus and Western Ukraine, as they have cores on the rest of Belarus and Ukraine and those regions were annexed into the Byelorussian and Ukrainian SSRs.

It should stand to common sense that the population will not change significantly since the 2 admin units and the Budjak that was ceded are roughly the same.

On the map that you posted, the South Bessarabia that was ceded is represented with an orange line, unlike the 2 administrative units, it includes parts of Causani and Cimisila that were regions with a larger population and an absolute Romanian majority, but only half of Reni and Volintiri which were others regions with an absolute Romanian majority, with a part of the Cazaci region that had an Ukrainian majority was not included. So it stands to common sense that the population did not change significantly, the deportations of USSR after 1940s is completly another story and not representative for a 1936 or 1939 core.

I will post you detailed maps then. First, global ethnic map, for general picture and reference.
harta-etnica-a-romaniei-1930.png

Now, let's look into 2 counties. I will start with Ismail, the less critical one.
Here changes were minor and the only territory that was not included was west of Reni, which is a low number of Romanian majority (5000 or so? 10000 tops).
Ethnic_map_of_Ismail_County_1930.png

Next, Cetatea Alba, where ceded lands were most cut.
Ethnic_map_of_Cetatea_Alba_County_1930.png

Nearly all Volintiri plasa and Romanian part of Cazaci were not included, which targets roughly up to 55000 Romanians in the region.

This is a reason why our numbers differ and both are correct. As it stands in HoI4, the province has not internal Romanian division shape but the one after WWII, so I look from that point of view.

For even more detailed view one should delve in detailed census data, but I think that this already is evident enough to show why there was a considerate difference in population estimations, especially in proportion of Romanians in area.

I'm playing by Hearts of Iron 4's logic for core/claim mechanics. The British and the French drew a lot of manpower from their colonies, the Italians drew native 200.000 troops from Ethiopia that was recently conquered, but in the game you have about 0.3% non-core manpower, with a population of 10.000.000 that is 33.000 manpower that Italy gets from Ethiopa in-game. How well represented is that is a subject for another discussion, but until then we need to be consistent in what we have.

Does it meet core purpose? No, because Romania, Russia and Bulgaria have a lot more population than Ukraine. One could argue that the South Bessarabia that was ceded could potentially have more slightly more Russians than Romanians, having more Bulgarians than Romanians is doubtful and more Ukrainians than Romanians impossible.

But does it apply to Romanian lands with majority being Germans/Hungarians? I mean, it was shown that Ukraine governed Budjak just as well after all.

I think that overall this proposal got argumentation in both cons and pros. The decision is up to devs to make here and little is left to argue here since it is not historical forum section. Thankfully, they do show interest in region.

To conclude, rest of Romanian suggestions look solid and I hope that they find their way in Eastern Europe aka Soviet update, they are worth effort and would make game more fun to play.

@fr-rein It applies to Romanian lands with the majority being Germans/Hungarians too, but there aren't any in the game. Northern and Southern Transylvania had a Romanian absolute majority by 1936 and 1940. The only region that should have a Hungarian core is Szekelyland if split from Northern Transylvania.

In Northern Transylvania:
- 1940 Romanian census: 50% Romanians and 37% Hungarians. 1,300,000 Romanians and 970.000 Hungarians out of 2.600.000 people.
- 1940 Hungarian census: 48% Romanians and 38% Hungarians. 1,150,000 Romanians and 911,000 Hungarians out of 2.400.000 people.
- 1941 Hungarian census: 39% Romanians and 51% Hungarians. 1,050,000 Romanians and 1.370.000 Hungarians out of 2.700.000 people.

Was there a mass immigration or inflated numbers between 1940 and 1941? I don't know, the 1948 Romanian census is similar to the 1940 censuses, but both sides seem to agree that before 1941 the Romanians were the majority in Northern Transylvania.

One could argue whether 37% is a significant number, but the Romanian population was openly hostile to Hungarian rule between 1940 - 1944. They had to station the army there to keep the population in check.

For Southern Transylvania it makes even less sense, in 1940 the region was 20% Hungarian and 68% Romanian. About 500.000 Hungarians and 1.700.000 Romanians out of a population of about 2.500.000 people.

As historian Keith Hitchins puts it:
Far from settling matters, the Vienna Award had exacerbated relations between Romania and Hungary. It did not solve the nationality problem by separating all Magyars from all Romanians. Some 1,150,000 to 1,300,000 Romanians, or 48 percent to over 50 percent of the population of the ceded territory, depending upon whose statistics are used, remained north of the new frontier, while about 500,000 Magyars (other Hungarian estimates go as high as 800,000, Romanian as low as 363,000) continued to reside in the south.

1280px-Romania_1930_ethnic_map_EN.png

Yet I understand the need of making Hungarian cores possible in alternative history scenarios such as remaking Greater Hungary or Austria-Hungary. Szekelyland is the only region that makes sense to have a Hungarian core in the historical route if separated from the rest of Northern Transylvania.

As for the Germans, their population was of about 250.000 in Trasnylvania and 250.000 in Banat. They weren't a majority in any region and historically got along well with the Romanians. In the middle ages, while Hungarians were oppressing Romanians in Transylvania, the Germans were mostly traders that Wallachia and Moldavia greatly benefited from. During the Great Union of 1918 the Germans voted in favor of union with Romania and our current president is a German from Transylvania.

You're right, it's up to the devs to make the decision.

It wasn't skipped, I only addressed the focus fix i mentioned above. While all of this is valid feedback for Romania, I feel it would better fit in the schedule where we have time to devote to making it good instead of just throwing a few tiny fixes in here and there. Some of these things I can fix myself, others are more complex and will require support from content design and code, and due to other priorities I am unable to divert their attention at this time. I am actively monitoring this thread though, so I can assure you we will get to this at some point, I just cannot say when! I will definitely keep you updated though :)
I noticed you are working on the next patch, will any of the suggestions from here be included in the 1.9.1 patch?

Also, I made a nice list of 600 World War II quotes for the loading screen and posted it in the suggestion section, it got a lot of agree but I don't think any developer has seen it. So I would like to post it here to make sure a developer sees it.

The list is already made in code format, so you can copy-paste it in the file and see if there are any coding mistakes made.

You got to love quotes such as:
LOADING_TIP_160:0 "It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations.\n- Winston Churchill"
He really said that.

In reasearching these quotes, I learned a lot more about World War II that an average player may find interesting.

Why were the allies so appleasing before 1939? Sure, they wanted to avoid another war, but also because Hitler lied:
LOADING_TIP_50:0 "It is the last territorial claim I make in Europe.\n- Adolf Hitler, on the Sudetenland crysis in 1938"
LOADING_TIP_51:0 "Germany has made a non-aggression pact with Poland, we will adhere to it unconditionally! We recognise Poland as a home of a great people!\n- Adolf Hitler, 1935"
LOADING_TIP_48:0 "Germany neither intends nor wishes to interfere in the internal affair of Austria, to annex Austria or to conclude an Anschluss!\n- Adolf Hitler, 1935"

What was the relationship between Italy and Germany? Turns out, not that great, it was only an alliance of convenience:
LOADING_TIP_17:0 "Race? It is a feeling, not a reality. Nothing will ever make me believe that biologically pure races can be shown to exist today.\n- Benito Mussolini" //I did not touch THAT subject at all, this is the clostest thing I came to it but everyone knows Hitler believed in German racial superiority.
LOADING_TIP_5:0 "I’ve had my fill of Hitler. These conferences called by a ringing of a bell are not to my liking, the bell is rung when people call their servants.\n- Benito Mussolini"

My source was the internet: brainyquote, wisdomquotes, goodreads, wargaming, secondworldwarhistory, historyhit and wikiquote.

Here is the full list of 600 quotes:

ITALY:

LOADING_TIP_0:0 "It is humiliating to remain with our hands folded while others write history. It matters little who wins.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_1:0 "To make a people great it is necessary to send them to battle even if you have to kick them in the pants. That is what I shall do.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_2:0 "It's good to trust others, but, not to do so is much better.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_3:0 "War is to man what maternity is to a woman. From a philosophical and doctrinal viewpoint, I do not believe in perpetual peace.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_4:0 "I only need a few thousand dead so that I can sit at the peace conference as a man who has fought.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_5:0 "I’ve had my fill of Hitler. These conferences called by a ringing of a bell are not to my liking, the bell is rung when people call their servants.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_6:0 "What kind of conferences are these? For five hours I am forced to listen a monologue which is quite fruitless and boring.\n- Benito Mussolini about Hitler's conferences"
LOADING_TIP_7:0 "Socialism is a fraud, a comedy, a phantom, a blackmail.\n- Benito Mussolini, former socialist"
LOADING_TIP_8:0 "The keystone of the Fascist doctrine is its conception of the state, of its essence, functions and aims. For Fascism the state is absolute, individuals and groups relative.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_9:0 "The history of saints is mainly the history of insane people.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_10:0 "If I advance, follow me. If I retreat, kill me. If I die, avenge me! It is better to live one day as a lion than one-hundred years as a sheep!\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_11:0 "The mass, whether it be a crowd or an army, is vile.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_12:0 "We become the strongest, I feel, when we have no friends upon whom to lean, or to look for moral gudance.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_13:0 "The best blood will at some time end up in a fool or a mosquito.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_14:0 "Democracy is beautiful in theory, in practice it is a fallacy. You in America will see that some day.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_15:0 "The truth is that men are tired of liberty.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_16:0 "Inactivity is death.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_17:0 "Race? It is a feeling, not a reality. Nothing will ever make me believe that biologically pure races can be shown to exist today.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_18:0 "I was a racist since 1921. I don't know how people can think I'm imitating Hitler.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_19:0 "Democracy is talking itself to death. People don't know what they want or what's best for them. There is too much foolishness, too much lost motion.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_20:0 "The press of Italy is free, freer than the press of any other country, so long as it supports the regime.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_21:0 "If only we can give them faith that mountains can be moved, they will accept the illusion that mountains can be moved, and then the illusion will become a reality.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_22:0 "A nation of spaghetti eaters cannot restore Roman civilization!\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_23:0 "Religion is man-made to assist in controlling weak minded individuals, because during times of atrocity and despair they feel strength in numbers.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_24:0 "We deny your communist internationalism, because it is a luxury which only the upper classes can afford.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_25:0 "Every anarchist is a confused dictator.\n- Benito Mussolini"
LOADING_TIP_26:0 "A beautiful Alpine, a great aviator, an authentic revolutionary. The only one who would have been able to kill me.\n- Benito Mussolini about Italo Balbo"

LOADING_TIP_27:0 "You will all wind up shining the shoes of the Germans!\n- Italo Balbo, Mussolini's second in command"

LOADING_TIP_28:0 "If I announce the armistice and the Americans don't send sufficient reinforcements and don't land near Rome, the Germans will seize the city and put in a puppet fascist government.\n- Pietro Badoglio"
LOADING_TIP_29:0 "There is no doubt that Jacomoni and Visconti Prasca have a large share of the responsibility in the Albanian affair, but the real blame must be sought elsewhere. It lies entirely with the Duce's command.\n- Pietro Badoglio"
LOADING_TIP_30:0 "By this act, all ties with the dreadful past are broken, and my government will be proud to be able to march with you on to the inevitable victory.\n- Pietro Badoglio to Dwight D. Eisenhower"
LOADING_TIP_31:0 "In August 1939 the Duce had not been so sure about the invincibility of the Germans, and he told us that he had sought to persuade Hitler not to act.\n- Pietro Badoglio"
LOADING_TIP_32:0 "I have conquered an empire for Italy and Mussolini has thrown it away.\n- Pietro Badoglio"
LOADING_TIP_33:0 "I slowly strangle my enemies with a velvet glove.\n- Pietro Badoglio"

LOADING_TIP_34:0 "It's best that you know this immediately: I have never been a Fascist, but always a soldier who obeyed orders.\n- Rodolfo Graziani"
LOADING_TIP_35:0 "An enemy forgiven is more dangerous than a thousand foes.\n- Rodolfo Graziani"

GERMANY:

LOADING_TIP_36:0 "I have seen my enemies in Munich, they are worms.\n- Adolf Hitler, 1938 after Munich agreement."
LOADING_TIP_37:0 "Any alliance whose purpose is not the intention to wage war is senseless and useless.\n- Adolf Hitler"
LOADING_TIP_38:0 "If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.\n- Adolf Hitler"
LOADING_TIP_39:0 "Soldiers of the Reich! This day, you are to take part in an offesive of such an importance that the whole future of the war many depend on its outcome.\n- Adolf Hitler, about Operation Barbarossa"
LOADING_TIP_40:0 "Why should this war on the west be fought over Poland? The Poland of Versailles shall never rise again!\n- Adolf Hitler"
LOADING_TIP_41:0 "Germany will either be a world power or there will no Germany.\n- Adolf Hitler"
LOADING_TIP_42:0 "We have only to kick in the door and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down.\n- Adolf Hitler, on the Soviet Union"
LOADING_TIP_43:0 "Switzerland possesses the most disgusting and miserable people and political system. The Swiss are the mortal enemies of the new Germany.\n- Adolf Hitler"
LOADING_TIP_44:0 "The assertion that it is the intention of the German Reich to annex the Austrian state is absurd!\n- Adolf Hitler, 1934"
LOADING_TIP_45:0 "If you win, you need not have to explain. If you lose, you should not be there to explain!\n- Adolf Hitler"
LOADING_TIP_46:0 "Anyone can deal with victory. Only the mighty can bear defeat.\n- Adolf Hitler"
LOADING_TIP_47:0 "The great strength of the totalitarian state is that it forces those who fear it to imitate it.\n- Adolf Hitler"
LOADING_TIP_48:0 "Germany neither intends nor wishes to interfere in the internal affair of Austria, to annex Austria or to conclude an Anschluss!\n- Adolf Hitler, 1935"
LOADING_TIP_49:0 "The leader of genius must have the ability to make different enemies appear as if they all belong to one category.\n- Adolf Hitler"
LOADING_TIP_50:0 "It is the last territorial claim I make in Europe.\n- Adolf Hitler, on the Sudetenland crysis in 1938"
LOADING_TIP_51:0 "Germany has made a non-aggression pact with Poland, we will adhere to it unconditionally! We recognise Poland as a home of a great people!\n- Adolf Hitler, 1935"
LOADING_TIP_52:0 "In starting and waging war, it is not right that matters but victory. The victor will never be asked if he told the truth.\n- Adolf Hitler"
LOADING_TIP_53:0 "War is like entering a dark room, you don't really know what's inside.\n- Adolf Hitler"
LOADING_TIP_54:0 "Defend Paris to the last, destroy all bridges over the Seine and devastate the city.\n- Adolf Hitler, 1944"

LOADING_TIP_55:0 "In war, only what is simple can succeed.\n- Paul von Hinderburg"

LOADING_TIP_56:0 "Theo, Heinrich here. Have just shot down two bombers. No more ammunition. I'm going to ram. Auf Wiedersehen, see you in Valhalla!\n- Heinrich Ehrler, Luftwaffe"

LOADING_TIP_57:0 "Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role.\n- Heinz Guderian"

LOADING_TIP_58:0 "Be an example to your men in your duty and private life.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_59:0 "One cannot permit unique opportunities to slip by for the sake of trifles.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_60:0 "Which would you rather be, tired or dead?\n- Erwin Rommel, to an Officer"
LOADING_TIP_61:0 "In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_62:0 "I would rather be the hammer than the anvil.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_63:0 "You take a kind man and put him in control, watch him become a god and watch people's heads a'roll.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_64:0 "There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_65:0 "You don't need to think that you were abandoned by the world, the world never took you before.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_66:0 "No plan survives contract with the enemy.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_67:0 "Always in the moments of extreme danger things can be done which had previously been thought impossible.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_68:0 "In the absence of orders go find something and kill it.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_69:0 "The enemy win their battles from the air! They knock out my panzers with American armor-piercing shells.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_70:0 "We could do with some of those razor blades, Herr Reichsmarshall.\n- Erwin Rommel, after Goring said the Americans only know how to make razor blades"
LOADING_TIP_71:0 "Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, but brains saves both.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_72:0 "One must not judge everyone by his qualities as a soldier, otherwise we would have no civilization.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_73:0 "If you want to live as a hero, you foremost have to survive.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_74:0 "Never spare yourself, and let the troops see that you don't, in your endurance of fatigue and privation.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_75:0 "Always be tactful and well-mannered, teach your subordinates to be the same. Avoid excessive sharpness or harshness of voice, which indicates a man has shortcomings of his own to hide.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_76:0 "Better too much spade work than too little! This work saves blood.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_77:0 "The Italian command was, for the most part, not equal to the task of carrying on war in the desert, where the requirement was lightning decision followed by immediate action.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_78:0 "Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_79:0 "Mortal danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_80:0 "When there's no clear option, it's better to do nothing.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_81:0 "The enemy must be annihilated before he reaches us, we must stop him in the water, destryoing all his equipment while still afloat!\n- Erwin Rommel, 1944"
LOADING_TIP_82:0 "If I had to take hell, I would use the Australians to take it and the New Zealanders to hold it.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_83:0 "If I'd had one division of Maori, I would have taken the canal in a week. If I'd had three, I'd have taken Baghdad.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_84:0 "The art of concentrating strength at one point, forcing a breakthrough, rolling up and securing the flanks on either side, and then penetrating like lightning, before the enemy has time to react, deep into his rear.\n- Erwin Rommel, explaining Blitzkrieg"
LOADING_TIP_85:0 "Troops who on one day are flying in a wild panic to the rear, may, unless they are continually harried by the pursuer, very soon stand in battle again, freshly organised as fully effective fighting men.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_86:0 "Many officers considered it unnecessary to put in an appearance during battle and set the men an example. Therefore, it was small wonder that the Italian soldier developed a feeling of inferiority which accounted for his occasional failure and moments of crisis.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_87:0 "Thus the British lost the very able and adaptable commander David Stirling of the desert group SAS which had caused us more damage than any other British unit of equal strength.\n- Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_88:0 "When a commander has won a decisive victory and Wavell's victory over the Italians was devastating, it is generally wrong for him to be satisfied with too narrow a strategic aim. For that is the time to exploit success.\n- Erwin Rommel"

LOADING_TIP_89:0 "No enemy bomber can reach the Ruhr. If one reaches the Ruhr, my name is not Göring. You may call me Meyer.\n- Hermann Meyer"

LOADING_TIP_90:0 "The Russian colossus has been underestimated by us, whenever a dozen divisions are destroyed, the Russians replace them with another dozen.\n- Franz Halder"

LOADING_TIP_91:0 "We should have known better after the first war.\n- Gerd von Rundstedt"
LOADING_TIP_92:0 "The vastness of Russia devours us.\n- Gerd von Rundstedt"
LOADING_TIP_93:0 "The morale of the troops was astonishingly high at the start of the offensive. They believed victory was possible, unlike the higher commanders, who knew the facts.\n- Gerd von Rundstedt"
LOADING_TIP_94:0 "We are in no position to withstand a prolonged static war. Wherever the allies concentrate their forces they will break through.\n- Gerd von Rundstedt"
LOADING_TIP_95:0 "Make peace, you fools!\n- Gerd von Rundstedt, 1 July, 1944"

LOADING_TIP_96:0 "I ask you, do you want total war? If necessary, do you want a war more total and radical than anything that we can even yet imagine?\n- Joseph Goebbels"
LOADING_TIP_97:0 "Lenin was the greatest man, second only to Hitler, the difference between Communism and the Hitler's faith is very slight.\n- Joseph Goebbels"
LOADING_TIP_98:0 "Capitalism is the immoral distribution of capital, Germany will become free at that moment when the thirty millions on the left and the thirty millions on the right make common cause.\n- Joseph Goebbels"
LOADING_TIP_99:0 "The money pigs of capitalist democracy, money has made slaves of us, money is the curse of mankind. It smothers the seed of everything great and good. Every penny is sticky with sweat and blood.\n- Joseph Goebbels"
LOADING_TIP_100:0 "The point of a political speech is to persuade people of what we think is right. I speak different in the provinces than I do in Berlin.\n- Joseph Goebbels"

LOADING_TIP_101:0 "Isn't it dreadful? Here we are, two officers of the German General Staff, discussing how best to murder our commander in chief.\n- Henning von Tresckow"
LOADING_TIP_102:0 "Hitler is a dancing dervish. He must be shot down.\n- Henning von Tresckow"
LOADING_TIP_103:0 "The assassination must be attempted at all costs. Even if it should not succeed, an attempt to seize power in Berlin must be made.\n- Henning von Tresckow"
LOADING_TIP_104:0 "It is almost certain that we will fail. But how will future history judge the German people, if not even a handful of men had the courage to put an end to that criminal?\n- Henning von Tresckow"
LOADING_TIP_105:0 "I cannot understand how people can call themselves Christians and not be furious adversaries of Hitler's regime.\n- Henning von Tresckow"
LOADING_TIP_106:0 "The whole world will hate us now, but I am totally convinced that we did the right thing. Hitler is the archenemy not only of Germany, but of the world.\n- Henning von Tresckow"

LOADING_TIP_107:0 "Experience has shown that attacks against tanks with close combat weapons by a sufficiently determined man will basically always succeed\n- German Army Group Center anti-tank manual"

JAPAN:

LOADING_TIP_108:0 "The war situation has developed not necessarily to Japan's advantage.\n- Emperor Hirohito, 1945"
LOADING_TIP_109:0 "The fruits of victory are tumbling into our mouths too quickly.\n- Emperor Hirohito, 1942"
LOADING_TIP_110:0 "Endure what is difficult to endure and to suffer what is difficult to suffer.\n- Emperor Hirohito"
LOADING_TIP_111:0 "We cannot but express the deepest sense of regret to our allied nations of East Asia, who have consistently cooperated with the Empire toward the emancipation of East Asia.\n- Emperor Hirohito"
LOADING_TIP_112:0 "The enemy has begun to employ a new and most cruel bomb, the power of which to do damage is, indeed, incalculable, taking the toll of many innocent lives.\n- Emperor Hirohito"
LOADING_TIP_113:0 "Should we continue to fight, it would not only result in an ultimate collapse and obliteration of the Japanese nation, but also it would lead to the total extinction of human civilization.\n- Emperor Hirohito"

LOADING_TIP_114:0 "It goes without saying that when survival is threatened, struggles erupt between peoples and unfortunate wars between nations result.\n- Hideki Tojo"
LOADING_TIP_115:0 "We now have to see our country surrender to the enemy without demonstrating our power up to 120 percent. We are on a course for a humiliating peace, or rather a humiliating surrender.\n- Hideki Tojo"
LOADING_TIP_116:0 "At the Imperial Conference on December 1, it was decided to make war against England and the United States.\n- Hideki Tojo"

LOADING_TIP_117:0 "I can run wild for six to twelve months of a war with the United States and the United Kingdom. After that, I have no expectation of success.\n- Isoroku Yamamoto"
LOADING_TIP_118:0 "Never tell anyone outside my staff that the Submarine Force and the First Air Fleet were responsible for the failure at Midway. The failure at Midway was mine alone.\n- Isoroku Yamamoto"
LOADING_TIP_119:0 "To fight the United States is like fighting the whole world. But it has been decided. So I will fight the best I can.\n- Isoroku Yamamoto"
LOADING_TIP_120:0 "If we are to have a war with America, we have no hope of winning unless the U.S. fleet in Hawaiian waters can be destroyed.\n- Isoroku Yamamoto"
LOADING_TIP_121:0 "I'm against the war with the United States. But I am an officer of the Imperial Navy and a subject of His Majesty the Emperor.\n- Isoroku Yamamoto"
LOADING_TIP_122:0 "A military man can scarcely pride himself on defeating a sleeping enemy, it is more of a matter of shame for the enemy.\n- Isoroku Yamamoto"
LOADING_TIP_123:0 "I was once the captain of Akagi, and it is with heartfelt regret that I must now order that she be sunk.\n- Isoroku Yamamoto"
LOADING_TIP_124:0 "Japan has always regarded the aircraft carrier as one of the most offensive of armaments.\n- Isoroku Yamamoto"
LOADING_TIP_125:0 "Anyone who has seen the factories in Detroit and the oil fields in Texas knows that Japan lacks the industrial power for a naval race with America.\n- Isoroku Yamamoto"

LOADING_TIP_126:0 "Tora! Tora! Tora!\n- Mitsuo Fuchida, 7 December, 1941"

UNITED KINGDOM:

LOADING_TIP_127:0 "I believe it is peace for our time.\n- Neville Chamberlain, 1938 after Munich agreement."
LOADING_TIP_128:0 "I shall not give up the the hope of a peaceful solution, or abandon my efforts for peace, as long as any chance for peace remains.\n- Neville Chamberlain."

LOADING_TIP_129:0 "I cannot predict the actions of Russia, it is a riddle wrapped inside a mistery inside an enigma.\n- Winston Churchill, 1939"
LOADING_TIP_130:0 "Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a nice way that they look forward to the trip.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_131:0 "Character may be manifested in the great moments, but it is created in small moments.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_132:0 "History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_133:0 "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_134:0 "A good speech should be like a woman's skirt: long enough to cover the subject and short enough to create interest.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_135:0 "Difficulties mastered are opportunities won.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_136:0 "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_137:0 "It is no use saying: ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_138:0 "The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_139:0 "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_140:0 "If you're going through hell, keep going.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_141:0 "In war: resolution. In defeat: defiance. In victory: magnanimiy. In peace: good will.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_142:0 "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_143:0 "Poor Neville Chamberlain believed he could trust Hitler. He was wrong. But I don't think I'm wrong about Stalin.\n- Winston Churchill, after the Yalta Conference"
LOADING_TIP_144:0 "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons.\n- Winston Churchill, 21 June, 1941"
LOADING_TIP_145:0 "There is general curiosity in the British Fleet to find out whether the Italians are up to the level they were at in the last war or whether they have fallen off at all.\n- Winston Churchill, after the Italian declaration of war"
LOADING_TIP_146:0 "We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.\n - Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_147:0 "We make a living by what we get, but we make our life by what we give.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_148:0 "You have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_149:0 "To improve is to change, so to be perfect is to have changed often.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_150:0 "I never worry about action, I only worry about inaction.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_151:0 "You will never reach the end of the journey if you stop to throw a stone at every dog that barks at you.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_152:0 "Never give in, never give in, never, never, in nothing, great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_153:0 "One always measures friendships by how they show up in bad weather.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_154:0 "Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_155:0 "For myself I am an optimist, it does not seem to be much use being anything else.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_156:0 "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_157:0 "Nourish your hopes, but do not overlook realities. You must look at facts, because they look at you.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_158:0 "I like things to happen, if they don’t happen, I like to make them happen.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_159:0 "Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_160:0 "True genius resides in the capacity for evaluation of uncertain, hazardous, and conflicting information.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_161:0 "Singapore could only be taken after a siege of at least 50.000 men. It is not possible that the Japanese would embark on such a mad enterprise." - Winston Churchill, 1940
LOADING_TIP_162:0 "Without ships, we cannot live.\n- Winston Churchill, about the war in the Atlantic"
LOADING_TIP_163:0 "Before El Alamein we had no victories, after El Alamein we had no defeats.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_164:0 "The whole of northern Norway is covered with snow to depths I have never seen, felt or imagined.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_165:0 "The battle of France is over. The battle of Britain is about to begin. Upon this battle depends the future of Christian civilization.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_166:0 "We have made a grave and hazardous decision to sustain the Greeks and try to make a Balkan front.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_167:0 "We will not say hereafter that the Greeks fight like heroes, but heroes fight like Greeks!\n- Winston Churchill, after the news of a Greek victory over Italian forces"
LOADING_TIP_168:0 "He also deserves our respect, because although a loyal German soldier, he came to hate Hitler and his works, and took part in the conspiracy to rescue Germany by displacing the maniac and tyrant.\n- Winston Churchill about Erwin Rommel"
LOADING_TIP_169:0 "All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_170:0 "The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_171:0 "Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_172:0 "Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities, because it is the quality which guarantees all others.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_173:0 "There are two things that are more difficult than making an after-dinner speech: climbing a wall which is leaning toward you and kissing a girl who is leaning away from you.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_174:0 "It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_175:0 "No idea is so outlandish that it should not be considered with a searching but at the same time a steady eye.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_176:0 "Play the game for more than you can afford to lose, only then will you learn the game.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_177:0 "If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed, when your victory is sure and not too costly, you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_178:0 "No part of the education of a politician is more indispensable than the fighting of elections.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_179:0 "A politician needs the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month, and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_180:0 "Those who can win a war well can rarely make a good peace, and those who could make a good peace would never have won the war.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_181:0 "To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_182:0 "The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_183:0 "The price of greatness is responsibility.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_184:0 "One ought never to turn one’s back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_185:0 "But if you meet the danger promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_186:0 "Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver. The greater the general, the more he contributes in maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_187:0 "If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_188:0 "An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_189:0 "Really I feel less keen about the Army every day. I think the Church would suit me better.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_190:0 "Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_191:0 "For my part, I consider that it will be found much better by all parties to leave the past to history, especially as I propose to write that history myself.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_192:0 "Nothing can be more abhorrent to democracy than to imprison a person or keep him in prison because he is unpopular. This is really the test of civilization.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_193:0 "Too often the strong, silent man is silent only because he does not know what to say, and is reputed strong only because he has remained silent.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_194:0 "To jaw-jaw is always better than to war-war.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_195:0 "If we open a quarrel between past and present, we shall find that we have lost the future.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_196:0 "When I am abroad, I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the government of my own country. I make up for lost time when I come home.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_197:0 "From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic, an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.\n- Winston Churchill, 1946"
LOADING_TIP_198:0 "It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_199:0 "War arises from both sides feeling they have a hope of victory.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_200:0 "Nothing will alter our feelings towards them or our faith that the genius of France will rise again. What has happened in France makes no difference to our actions and purpose.\n- Winston Churchill"
LOADING_TIP_201:0 "Continuous effort, not strength or intelligence, is the key to unlocking our potential.\n- Winston Churchill"

LOADING_TIP_202:0 "The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them.\n- Arthur 'Bomber' Harris"

LOADING_TIP_203:0 "Every soldier must know, before he goes into battle, how the little battle he is to fight fits into the larger picture, and how the success of his fighting will influence the battle as a whole.\n- Bernard L. Montgomery"
LOADING_TIP_204:0 "If we lose the war in the air we lose the war and we lose it quickly.\n- Bernard L. Montgomery"
LOADING_TIP_205:0 "Discipline strengthens the mind so that it becomes impervious to the corroding influence of fear.\n- Bernard L. Montgomery"
LOADING_TIP_206:0 "Decisions! And a general, a commander in chief who has not got the quality of decision, then he is no good.\n- Bernard L. Montgomery"
LOADING_TIP_207:0 "The first duty of a leader is optimism. How does your subordinate feel after meeting with you? Does he feel uplifted? If not, you are not a leader.\n- Bernard L. Montgomery"
LOADING_TIP_208:0 "My own definition of leadership is the capacity and the will to rally men and women to a common purpose and have the character which inspires confidence.\n- Bernard L. Montgomery"
LOADING_TIP_209:0 "The commander must decide how he will fight the battle before it begins.\n- Bernard L. Montgomery"
LOADING_TIP_210:0 "The Germans should have thought of these things before they began the war, particuarly before attacking the Russians.\n- Bernard L. Montgomery, to a german soldier's request to surrender only to British or American forces"
LOADING_TIP_212:0 "Nice chap, no general.\n- Bernard L. Montgomery, first impression of American general Dwight D. Eisenhower"

LOADING_TIP_213:0 "Sink, burn, capture, destroy. Let nothing pass.\n- Andrew Cunningham, Battle of Tunisia"

LOADING_TIP_214:0 "I think we may be going a bridge too far.\n- Frederick Browning, prior to Operation Market Garden"

FRANCE:

LOADING_TIP_215:0 "This is not a peace. It is an armistice for twenty years.\n- Ferdinand Foch, 1919"

LOADING_TIP_216:0 "We have been defeated. We are beaten, we have lost the battle.\n- Paul Reynaud, French Prime Minister, 15 May 1940"

LOADING_TIP_217:0 "Patriotism is when love for your people comes first. Nationalism is when hate for other people than your own comes first.\n- Charles de Gaulle"
LOADING_TIP_218:0 "The leader must aim high, see big, judge widely, setting himself apart form the ordinary people who debate in narrow confines.\n- Charles de Gaulle"
LOADING_TIP_219:0 "Treaties are like girls and roses, they last while they last.\n- Charles de Gaulle"
LOADING_TIP_220:0 "France has no friends, only interests. Men can have friends, statesmen cannot.\n- Charles de Gaulle"
LOADING_TIP_221:0 "Yes, it is Europe, from the Atlantic to the Urals, it is Europe, it is the whole of Europe, that will decide the fate of the world.\n- Charles de Gaulle"
LOADING_TIP_222:0 "When we were children, we often played war. My brothers would take different countries: Xavier had Italy, Pierre had Germany, or they would swap. I always had France.\n- Charles de Gaulle"
LOADING_TIP_223:0 "France has lost a battle, but France has not lost the war.\n- Charles de Gaulle"
LOADING_TIP_224:0 "At the root of our civilization, there is the freedom of each person of thought, of belief, of opinion, of work, of leisure.\n- Charles de Gaulle"
LOADING_TIP_225:0 "Politics, when it is an art and a service, not an exploitation, is about acting for an ideal through realities.\n- Charles de Gaulle"
LOADING_TIP_226:0 "I am not ill. But do not worry, one day, I will certainly die.\n- Charles de Gaulle"
LOADING_TIP_227:0 "Nothing great is done without great men, and they are great because they wanted it.\n- Charles de Gaulle"
LOADING_TIP_228:0 "The desire of privilege and the taste of equality are the dominant and contradictory passions of the French of all times.\n- Charles de Gaulle"
LOADING_TIP_229:0 "France cannot be France without greatness.\n- Charles de Gaulle"
LOADING_TIP_230:0 "You may be sure that the Americans will commit all the stupidities they can think of, plus some that are beyond imagination.\n- Charles de Gaulle"
LOADING_TIP_231:0 "Once upon a time there was an old country, wrapped up in habit and caution. We have to transform our old France into a new country and marry it to its time.\n- Charles de Gaulle"
LOADING_TIP_232:0 "I respect only those who resist me, but I cannot tolerate them.\n- Charles de Gaulle"
LOADING_TIP_233:0 "Since a politician never believes what he says, he is quite surprised to be taken at his word.\n- Charles de Gaulle"
LOADING_TIP_234:0 "Authority doesn't work without prestige, or prestige without distance.\n- Charles de Gaulle"
LOADING_TIP_235:0 "In politics it is necessary either to betray one's country or the electorate. I prefer to betray the electorate.\n- Charles de Gaulle"
LOADING_TIP_236:0 "There can be no prestige without mystery, for familiarity breeds contempt.\n- Charles de Gaulle"

LOADING_TIP_237:0 "The French had lied to the Poles in saying they are going to attack. There is no idea of it.\n- Edmund Ironside"
LOADING_TIP_238:0 "I would sum up the German character best by saying that they are the best of losers and the worst of winners.\n- Edmund Ironside"

LOADING_TIP_239:0 "Why Die for Danzig?\n- French Anti-War Slogan, 1939"

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA:

LOADING_TIP_240:0 "It must be a peace without victory, victory is peace imposed upon the loser, a victor's terms imposed upon the loser. It would be accepted in humiliation and leave resentment.\n- Woodrow Willson, 1917

LOADING_TIP_241:0 "I have returned many times to honour the valiant men who died, every man who set foot on Omaha Beach was a hero.\n- Omar Bradley"

LOADING_TIP_242:0 "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.\n- Douglas MacArthur"
LOADING_TIP_243:0 "The soldier above all others wishes peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war.\n- Douglas MacArthur"
LOADING_TIP_244:0 "Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.\n- Douglas MacArthur"
LOADING_TIP_245:0 "I'll come as soon as I can with as much as I can, in the meantime you've got to hold!\n- Douglas MacArthur to General Wainright in 1942"
LOADING_TIP_246:0 "The world is in a constant conspiracy against brave people. The roar of the crowd on the one side and the voice of your conscience on the other.\n- Douglas MacArthur"
LOADING_TIP_247:0 "They died hard, those savage men, like wounded wolves at bay. They were filthy, and they were lousy, and they stunk. And I loved them.\n- Douglas MacArthur"
LOADING_TIP_248:0 "Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear, in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor, with the cry of grave national emergency.\n- Douglas MacArthur"
LOADING_TIP_249:0 "It is fatal to enter any war without the desire to win it.\n- Douglas MacArthur"
LOADING_TIP_250:0 "Could I have but a line a century hence crediting a contribution to the advance of peace, I would yield every honor which has been accorded by war.\n- Douglas MacArthur"
LOADING_TIP_251:0 "America has demonstrated that the people of the East and of the West may walk side by side in mutual respect and with mutual benefit.\n- Douglas MacArthur"

LOADING_TIP_252:0 "They fought together as brothers in arms; they died together and now they sleep side by side. To them we have a solemn obligation.\n- Chester W. Nimitz"
LOADING_TIP_253:0 "God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.\n- Chester W. Nimitz"
LOADING_TIP_254:0 "A ship is always referred to as 'she' because it costs so much to keep one in paint and powder.\n- Chester W. Nimitz"
LOADING_TIP_255:0 "Luck can be attributed to a well-conceived plan carried out by a well-trained and indoctrinated task group.\n- Chester W. Nimitz"
LOADING_TIP_256:0 "Some of the best advice I've had comes from junior officers and enlisted men.\n- Chester W. Nimitz"

LOADING_TIP_257:0 "Only our individual faith in freedom can keep us free.\n- Dwight D. Eisenhower"
LOADING_TIP_258:0 "You task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well-trained, well-equiped and battle-hardedned. He will fight savagely.\n- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1944"
LOADING_TIP_259:0 "In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.\n- Dwight D. Eisenhower"
LOADING_TIP_260:0 "What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.\n- Dwight D. Eisenhower"
LOADING_TIP_261:0 "The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, an army, or in an office.\n- Dwight D. Eisenhower"
LOADING_TIP_262:0 "Leadership is the art of getting people to do what you want them to do because they want to do it.\n- Dwight D. Eisenhower"
LOADING_TIP_263:0 "Every gun made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies a theft from those who hunger and not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.\n- Dwight D. Eisenhower"
LOADING_TIP_264:0 "The spirit of man is more important than mere physical strength, and the spiritual fiber of a nation than its wealth.\n- Dwight D. Eisenhower"
LOADING_TIP_265:0 "If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing you're lacking is freedom.\n- Dwight D. Eisenhower"
LOADING_TIP_266:0 "Together we must learn how to compose differences, not with arms, but with intellect and decent purpose.\n- Dwight D. Eisenhower"
LOADING_TIP_267:0 "The best morale exist when you never hear the word mentioned. When you hear a lot of talk about it, it's usually lousy.\n- Dwight D. Eisenhower"
LOADING_TIP_268:0 "This world of ours, must avoid becoming a community of dreadful fear and hate, and be, instead, a proud confederation of mutual trust and respect.\n- Dwight D. Eisenhower"
LOADING_TIP_269:0 "There is nothing wrong with America that faith, love of freedom, intelligence, and energy of her citizens cannot cure.\n- Dwight D. Eisenhower"
LOADING_TIP_270:0 "Our real problem, then, is not our strength today; it is rather the vital necessity of action today to ensure our strength tomorrow.\n- Dwight D. Eisenhower"
LOADING_TIP_271:0 "The churches of America are citadels of our faith in individual freedom and human dignity. This faith is the living source of all our spiritual strength.\n- Dwight D. Eisenhower"
LOADING_TIP_272:0 "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from the corn field.\n- Dwight D. Eisenhower"
LOADING_TIP_273:0 "Basic to our democratic civilization are the principles and convictions that have bound us together as a nation. Among these are personal liberty, human rights, and the dignity of man.\n- Dwight D. Eisenhower"
LOADING_TIP_274:0 "The most terrible job in warfare is to be a second lieutenant leading a platoon when you are on the battlefield.\n- Dwight D. Eisenhower"
LOADING_TIP_275:0 "The sergeant is the Army.\n- Dwight D. Eisenhower"
LOADING_TIP_276:0 "Among the things we teach to the young are such truths as the transcendent value of the individual and the dignity of all people, the futility and stupidity of war, its destructiveness of life and its degradation of human values.\n- Dwight D. Eisenhower"

LOADING_TIP_277:0 "I'd like to see a more aggressive stance on the part of the United States. That doesn't mean launching an immediate preventive war.\n- Curtis Lemay, USAAF"
LOADING_TIP_278:0 "I don't want to hear of any of you men getting into fights with the British. But if you do, you'd better not get whipped.\n- Curtis Lemay, USAAF"
LOADING_TIP_279:0 "We're at war with Japan. We were attacked by Japan. Do you want to kill Japanese or would you rather have Americans killed?\n- Curtis Lemay, USAAF"
LOADING_TIP_280:0 "Native annalists may look sadly back from the future on that period when we had the atomic bomb and the Russians didn't. Or when the Russians acquired the atomic bomb and yet still didn't have any stockpile of the weapons.\n- Curtis Lemay, USAAF"
LOADING_TIP_281:0 "That was the era when we might have destroyed Russia completely and not even skinned our elbows doing it.\n- Curtis Lemay, USAAF"
LOADING_TIP_282:0 "I suppose if I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal. Every soldier thinks something of the moral aspects of what he is doing. But war is immoral and if you let that bother you, you're not a good soldier.\n- Curtis Lemay, USAAF"
LOADING_TIP_283:0 "I don't mind being called tough, since I find in this racket it's the tough guys who lead the survivors.\n- Curtis Lemay, USAAF"
LOADING_TIP_284:0 "I don't have time to distinguish between the incompetent and the merely unfortunate.\n- Curtis Lemay, USAAF"
LOADING_TIP_285:0 "If you're going to use military force, then you ought to use overwhelming military force, deliberately use too much, you'll save lives, not only your own, but the enemy's too.\n- Curtis Lemay, USAAF"

LOADING_TIP_286:0 "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable.\n- Albert Einstein"
LOADING_TIP_287:0 "I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.\n- Albert Einstein"
LOADING_TIP_288:0 "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.\n- Albert Einstein"

LOADING_TIP_289:0 "A common lament of the World War II generation is the absence today of personal responsibility.\n- Tom Brokaw"

LOADING_TIP_290:0 "We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.\n- George Orwell"

LOADING_TIP_291:0 "The responsibility of the great states is to protect, not to dominate, the world.\n- Harry S. Truman"

LOADING_TIP_292:0 "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_293:0 "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_294:0 "The soldier is the Army. No army is better than its soldiers. The Soldier is also a citizen. In fact, the highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms for one’s country.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_295:0 "It is a proud privilege to be a soldier, a good soldier with discipline, self-respect, pride in his unit and country, a high sense of duty and obligation to comrades and to his superiors, and a self-confidence born of demonstrated ability.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_296:0 "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_297:0 "We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_298:0 "Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_299:0 "Say what you mean and mean what you say.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_300:0 "Many soldiers are led by faulty ideas of war by knowing too much about too little.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_301:0 "Some men are cowards but they fight the same as the brave men or they get the hell slammed out of them watching men fight who are just as scared as they are.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_302:0 "The real hero is the man who fights even though he is scared.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_303:0 "Every man is scared in his first battle. If he says he's not, he's a liar..\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_304:0 "An army is a team. It lives, sleeps, eats, and fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is pure nonsense.\n- George S. Patton"

LOADING_TIP_305:0 "Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_306:0 "A man has to be alert all the time if he expects to keep breathing. If not, some German son-of-a-bitch will sneak up behind him and beat him to death with a sock full of shit.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_307:0 "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_308:0 "You need to overcome the drag of people against you as you reach for high goals.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_309:0 "Better to fight for something than to live for nothing.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_310:0 "A pint of sweat saves a gallon of blood.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_311:0 "Take calculated risks. That is quite different from being rash.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_312:0 "Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_313:0 "If we take the generally accepted definition of bravery as a quality which knows no fear, I have never seen a brave man. All men are frightened. The more intelligent they are, the more they are frightened.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_314:0 "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_315:0 "Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_316:0 "Always do everything you ask of those you command.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_317:0 "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn’t thinking.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_318:0 "Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser. Americans despise cowards. Americans play to win all of the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_319:0 "Remember that the enemy is just as frightened as you are, and probably more so. They are not supermen.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_320:0 "First, because you are here to defend your homes and your loved ones. Second, you are here for your own self-respect, because you would not want to be anywhere else. Third, you are here because you are real men and all real men like to fight.\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_321:0 "There are four hundred neatly marked graves somewhere in Sicily. All because one man went to sleep on the job. But they are German graves, because we caught the bastard asleep before they did..\n- George S. Patton"
LOADING_TIP_322:0 "We could beat hell out of them.\n- George S. Patton, about the Soviet Union, 1945"
LOADING_TIP_323:0 "My men don't surrender. I don't want to hear of any soldier under my command being captured unless he has been hit. Even if you are hit, you can still fight back.\n- George S. Patton"

LOADING_TIP_324:0 "The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down.\n- Chuck Yeager, USAAF"
LOADING_TIP_325:0 "There is no such thing as a natural born pilot. Whatever my aptitudes or talent, becoming a proficient pilot was hard work, a lifetime’s learning experience.\n- Chuck Yeager, USAAF"
LOADING_TIP_326:0 "For the best pilots, flying is an obsession, the one thing in life they could do continually. The best pilots fly more than the others and that’s why they’re the best pilots.\n- Chuck Yeager, USAAF"
LOADING_TIP_327:0 "Experience is everything. The eagerness to learn how and why every piece of equipment works is everything. And luck is everything, too.\n- Chuck Yeager, USAAF"
LOADING_TIP_328:0 "Rules are made for people who aren’t willing to make up their own rules.\n- Chuck Yeager, USAAF"
LOADING_TIP_329:0 "You don’t concentrate on risks, concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done.\n- Chuck Yeager, USAAF"
LOADING_TIP_330:0 "Unfortunately, many people do not consider fun an important item on their daily agenda. For me, fun was always a high priority in whatever I was doing.\n- Chuck Yeager, USAAF"
LOADING_TIP_331:0 "What good does it do to be afraid? It doesn’t help anything. You better try and figure out what’s happening and correct it.\n- Chuck Yeager, USAAF"
LOADING_TIP_332:0 "If you want to grow old as a pilot, you’ve got to know when to push it, and when to back off.\n- Chuck Yeager, USAAF"

LOADING_TIP_333:0 "The Chinese soldier was though, brave and experienced. After all, he had been fighting on his own without help for years. He was a veteran among the Allies.\n- Bill Slim"

LOADING_TIP_334:0 "I have seen war, I hate war.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_335:0 "When you see a rattlesnake poised to strike, you don't wait until he strikes to crush him.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_336:0 "Rules are not necessarily sacred, principles are.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_337:0 "Force is the only language they understand, like bullies.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt, about Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini
LOADING_TIP_338:0 "True individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_339:0 "In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can be sure it was planned that way.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_340:0 "I say that the delivery of needed supplies to Britain is imperative. I say that this can be done, must be done and will be done, the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_341:0 "Let's never forget that the government is ourselves and not some alien power over us. The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a president and senators but the voters of this country.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_342:0 "I think the first crack in the Axis has come, the corrupt and criminal fascist regime of Italy is going to pieces.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt, 1943"
LOADING_TIP_343:0 "If civilization is to survive, we must cultivate the science of human relationships, the ability of all peoples, of all kinds, to live together in the same world at peace.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_344:0 "The Soviet Union, as everybody who has the courage to face the fact knows, is a dictatorship as absolute as any other dictatorships in the world.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt, 1940"
LOADING_TIP_345:0 "I'm not the smartest fellow in the world, but I can pick smart colleagues.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_346:0 "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_347:0 "We have always held to the hope, the belief, the conviction that there is a better life, a better world, beyond the horizon.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_348:0 "I pledge you, I pledge myself, to a new deal for the American people.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_349:0 "The test of progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much but whether we provide enough for those who have little.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_350:0 "It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_351:0 "If you treat people right they will treat you right, ninety percent of the time.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_352:0 "I believe that in every country the people themselves are more peaceably and liberally inclined than their governments.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_353:0 "The peace-loving nations must make a concerted effort in opposition to those violations of treaties which today are creating a state of international anarchy from which there is no escape through mere isolation or neutrality.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_354:0 "The speaker or writer who, seeking to influence public opinion, descends from calm argument to unfair blows hurts himself more than his opponent.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_355:0 "A self-supporting and self-respecting democracy can plead no justification for the existence of child labor, no economic reason for chiseling workers' wages or stretching workers' hours.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_356:0 "No nation ever loses its dignity or good standing by conciliating its differences and by exercising great patience with, and consideration for, the rights of other nations.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_357:0 "We must preserve not only the bodies of the unemployed from destitution but also their self-respect, their self-reliance and courage and determination.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_358:0 "Being a free country with freedom of expression a lot of mean blows will be struck. By "blows" I mean misrepresentation, personal attack and appeals to prejudice. It would be a lot better, of course, if campaigns everywhere could be waged with arguments instead of blows.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"
LOADING_TIP_359:0 "There is a mysterious cycle in human events. To some generations much is given. Of other generations much is expected. This generation of Americans has a rendezvous with destiny.\n- Franklin D. Roosevelt"

LOADING_TIP_360:0 "Leadership consists of picking good men and helping them do their best.\n- Chester W. Nimitz"
LOADING_TIP_361:0 "Is the proposed operation likely to succeed? Is it in the realm of practicability in terms of material and supplies?\n- Chester W. Nimitz"

LOADING_TIP_362:0 "Nuts!\n- Anthony C. McAuliffe, responding to the German demand for surrender"
LOADING_TIP_363:0 "Allied Troops are counterattacking in force. We continue to hold Bastogne. By holding Bastogne we assure the success of the Allied Armies.\n- Anthony C. McAuliffe"

LOADING_TIP_364:0 "Scratch one flattop! Dixon to carrier - scratch one flattop!\n- Robert E. Dixon, Battle of the Coral Sea"

LOADING_TIP_365:0 "There is something phoney about this war.\n- US Senator William Borah, in September 1939"

SOVIET UNION:

LOADING_TIP_366:0 "It is enough that the people know there was an election. Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.\n- Joseph Stalin"
LOADING_TIP_367:0 "History shows that there are no invincible armies and that there never have been.\n- Joseph Stalin"
LOADING_TIP_368:0 "In the Soviet army it takes more courage to retreat than advance.\n- Joseph Stalin"
LOADING_TIP_369:0 "The Pope! How many divisions has he got?\n- Joseph Stalin"
LOADING_TIP_370:0 "Gaiety is the most outstanding feature of the Soviet Union.\n- Joseph Stalin"
LOADING_TIP_371:0 "The only real power comes out of a long rifle.\n- Joseph Stalin"
LOADING_TIP_372:0 "So the bastard's dead? Too bad we didn't capture him alive!\n- Joseph Stalin, on hearing of Hitler's suicide"
LOADING_TIP_373:0 "Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?\n- Joseph Stalin"
LOADING_TIP_374:0 "Mankind is divided into rich and poor, property owners and exploited, to abstract oneself from this division means abstracting oneself from fundamental facts.\n- Joseph Stalin"
LOADING_TIP_375:0 "I believe in one thing only, the power of the human will.\n- Joseph Stalin"
LOADING_TIP_376:0 "If any foreign minister begins to defend to the death a peace conference you can be sure his government already placed orders for new battleships and airplanes.\n- Joseph Stalin"
LOADING_TIP_377:0 "The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a merely statistics.\n- Joseph Stalin"
LOADING_TIP_378:0 "Quantity has a quality all its own.\n- Joseph Stalin"
LOADING_TIP_379:0 "A sincere diplomat is like dry water or wooden iron.\n- Joseph Stalin"

LOADING_TIP_380:0 "The new German Panther and Tiger can be used until they break down without trying to repair them. They have bad engines, transmission and suspension.\n- Department of Weaponry of the Red Army"

LOADING_TIP_381:0 "If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as if it were not there.\n- Georgy Zhukov to General Eisenhower, 1945"
LOADING_TIP_382:0 "It is a fact that under equal conditions, large-scale battles and whole wars are won by troops which have a strong will for victory.\n- Georgy Zhukov"
LOADING_TIP_383:0 "Nazis did not expect Soviet resistance to be so strong. The deeper they moved into this country's territory, the more fierce it became.\n- Georgy Zhukov"

LOADING_TIP_384:0 "The enemy is at the gate, it is a question of life and death!\n- Andrei Zhdanov, during the Siege of Leningrad"

LOADING_TIP_385:0 "Men were thrown headlong at Finnish guns. Entire battalions of troops, the spearhead of the Red Army, were cut off from their reinforcements and supplies.\n- Unknown Red Army Soldier, the Winter War"

LOADING_TIP_386:0 "Of the 403,272 tank soldiers who were trained by the Red Army in the war, 310,000 would die. Even the most optimistic troops knew what would happen when a tank was shelled.\n- Catherine Merridale"
LOADING_TIP_387:0 "The battlefield was no haven, but it was safer than the armored coffin that would now begin to blaze, its metal components to melt. The tank would also torch the atmosphere around it.\n- Catherine Merridale"
LOADING_TIP_388:0 "'Have you burned yet?' was a question tank men often asked each other when they met for the first time. A dark joke informing that almost every tank man in his group has died that day. 'I’m sorry, I’ll make sure that I burn tomorrow.', a young man replies.\n- Catherine Merridale"

LOADING_TIP_389:0 "If you look at great human civilizations, from the Roman Empire to the Soviet Union, you will see that most do not fail simply due to external threats but because of internal weakness, corruption, or a failure to manifest the values and ideals they espouse.\n- Cory Booker"

LOADING_TIP_390:0 "It is difficult to violently suppress people in the long run, as the example of the Soviet Union and the Eastern European countries has shown.\n- Dalai Lama"

LOADING_TIP_391:0 "One blow from the German army and another from the Soviet army put an end to this ugly product of Versailles.\n- Vyacheslav Molotov, after the fall of Poland"
LOADING_TIP_392:0 "The Soviet Government deems it its sacred duty to extend the hand of assistance to its brother Ukrainians and White Russians inhabiting Poland.\n- Vyacheslav Molotov"
LOADING_TIP_393:0 "The population of Poland was abandoned by their ill-starred leaders. The Polish State ceased to exist. In view of this state of affairs, treaties concluded between the Soviet Union and Poland have ceased to operate.\n- Vyacheslav Molotov"
LOADING_TIP_394:0 "Germany submitted neighboring countries to her supremacy and gained military strength, thus become a dangerous rival to imperialistic powers in Europe, England and France.\n- Vyacheslav Molotov"
LOADING_TIP_395:0 "Only a fool would attack us. This is not the first time that our people have had to deal with an attack of an arrogant foe.\n- Vyacheslav Molotov"
LOADING_TIP_396:0 "The trouble with free elections is that you never know how they are going to turn out.\n- Vyacheslav Molotov"

LOADING_TIP_397:0 "The battle of Kursk, the forcing of the Dnieper and the liberation of Kiev, left Hitlerite Germany facing catastrophe.\n- Vasili I. Chuikov"
LOADING_TIP_398:0 "Every German soldier must be made to feel that he is living under the muzzle of a Russian gun.\n- Vasili I. Chuikov"
LOADING_TIP_399:0 "There are those who propose that both sides remove all their forces from Germany. That's a silly idea. The Germans hate us, we couldn't think of removing our forces from Germany.\n- Vasili I. Chuikov"
LOADING_TIP_400:0 "He ordered us to stand fast and save Stalingrad. So we knew then that it was do or die. We could not retreat.\n- Vasili I. Chuikov"
LOADING_TIP_401:0 "Our units were tired. There were many whining pessimists in the army. I threw these panicky people out of the army right away and set to work.\n- Vasili I. Chuikov"
LOADING_TIP_402:0 "The heavy casualties, constant retreat, shortage of food and munitions and difficulty of receiving reinforcements had a very bad effect on morale. Many longed to get across the Volga, to escape the hell of Stalingrad.\n- Vasili I. Chuikov"

LOADING_TIP_403:0 "We will fight to the last man, but we shall not leave the city.\n- Alexander Ilich Rodimtsev, at Stalingrad"

LOADING_TIP_404:0 "Not one step back!\n- Soviet Order No. 227"

LOADING_TIP_405:0 "Your name is unknown. Your deed is immortal.\n- Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Moscow"

CHINA:

LOADING_TIP_406:0 "Give me fifty DC-3s and the Japanese can have the Burma Road.\n- Chiang Kai-Shek"
LOADING_TIP_407:0 "War is not only a matter of equipment, artillery, group troops or air force, it is largely a matter of spirit or morale.\n- Chiang Kai-Shek"
LOADING_TIP_408:0 "We become what we do.\n- Chiang Kai-Shek"

LOADING_TIP_409:0 "Politics is war without bloodshed, while war is politics with bloodshed.\n- Mao Zedong"
LOADING_TIP_410:0 "Keep men, lose land - land can be taken again. Keep land, lose men - land and men are both lost.\n- Mao Zedong"
LOADING_TIP_411:0 "Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer that we use to crush the enemy.\n- Mao Zedong"
LOADING_TIP_412:0 "Once all struggle is grasped, miracles are possible.\n- Mao Zedong"
LOADING_TIP_413:0 "We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view.\n- Mao Zedong"
LOADING_TIP_414:0 "A revolution is not a dinner party, writing an essay, painting a picture or doing embroidery.\n- Mao Zedong"
LOADING_TIP_415:0 "We shall heal our wounds, collect our dead and continue fighting.\n- Mao Zedong"
LOADING_TIP_416:0 "Enable every woman who can work to take her place on the labour front, under the principle of equal pay for equal work.\n- Mao Zedong"
LOADING_TIP_417:0 "Genuine equality between the sexes can only be realized in the process of the socialist transformation of society as a whole.\n- Mao Zedong"
LOADING_TIP_418:0 "The atom bomb is a paper tiger which the United States reactionaries use to scare people. It looks terrible, but in fact it isn't.\n- Mao Zedong"
LOADING_TIP_419:0 "An army without culture is a dull-witted army, and a dull-witted army cannot defeat the enemy.\n- Mao Zedong"
LOADING_TIP_420:0 "Classes struggle, some classes triumph, others are eliminated. Such is history; such is the history of civilization for thousands of years.\n- Mao Zedong"
LOADING_TIP_421:0 "If you want to know the taste of a pear, you must change the pear by eating it yourself. All genuine knowledge originates in direct experience.\n- Mao Zedong"
LOADING_TIP_422:0 "Learn from the masses, and then teach them.\n- Mao Zedong"
LOADING_TIP_423:0 "The differences between friends cannot but reinforce their friendship.\n- Mao Zedong"
LOADING_TIP_424:0 "In general, any form of exercise, if pursued continuously, will help train us in perseverance. Long-distance running is a particularly good training in perseverance.\n- Mao Zedong"
LOADING_TIP_425:0 "The people, and the people alone, are the motive force in the making of world history.\n- Mao Zedong"
LOADING_TIP_426:0 "Despise the enemy strategically, but take him seriously tactically.\n- Mao Zedong"

ETHIOPIA:

LOADING_TIP_427:0 "It is us today. It will be you tomorrow.\n- Haile Selassie I, 1936"
LOADING_TIP_428:0 "Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted, that has made it possible for evil to triumph.\n- Haile Selassie I"
LOADING_TIP_429:0 "History teaches us that unity is strength, and cautions us to submerge and overcome our differences in the quest for common goals.\n- Haile Selassie I"
LOADING_TIP_430:0 "It's easier to show compassion to animals. They are never wicked.\n- Haile Selassie I"
LOADING_TIP_431:0 "An awareness of our past is essential to establish our personality and our identity as Africans.\n- Haile Selassie I"
LOADING_TIP_432:0 "The preservation of peace and the guaranteeing of man's basic freedoms and rights requires courage and eternal vigilance.\n- Haile Selassie I"
LOADING_TIP_433:0 "We all wish to live. We all seek a world in which men are freed of the burdens of ignorance, poverty, hunger and disease.\n- Haile Selassie I"
LOADING_TIP_434:0 "Leadership does not mean domination. The world is well supplied with people who wish to rule and dominate others.\n- Haile Selassie I"
LOADING_TIP_435:0 "The true leader seeks activity with a beneficient purpose. He inspires others to follow in his wake while holding aloft the torch of wisdom.\n- Haile Selassie I"
LOADING_TIP_436:0 "The art of leadership is in the ability to make people want to work for you, while they are really under no obligation to do so.\n- Haile Selassie I"
LOADING_TIP_437:0 "Democracy, republics: What do these words signify? One should consider the interest of a nation before subverting it with words. Democracy is necessary in some cases, but in other cases it is harmful, a mistake.\n- Haile Selassie I"

FINLAND:

LOADING_TIP_438:0 "Fortifications, artillery and foreign aid will be of no value, unless the ordinary soldier knows that he is guarding his country.\n- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim"
LOADING_TIP_439:0 "The French are without scruples, energy or valor, the Great War castrated them and left them diminished, whiney, mistaking arguing for debate and loudness for persuasiveness.\n- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim"
LOADING_TIP_440:0 "I will not put my sword in the sheath until Finland and East Karelia are free. Soldiers! The crust you step on is a holy land saturated with the blood and suffering of our people. Your victories will liberate Karelia, your actions will create a great, happy future for Finland.\n- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim, 1941"
LOADING_TIP_441:0 "Brave Finnish soldiers! I shall take this position at the time the centuries-old enemies are again attacking our country. Confidence in the head is the first condition of success.\n- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim"
LOADING_TIP_442:0 "This war has nothing to other than the continuation and final show of our War of Independence. We are fighting for home, religion and the Fatherland.\n- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim"
LOADING_TIP_443:0 "Soldiers! I fought on many battlegrounds, but I have not yet seen warriors like you. I'm proud of you like you were my own children.\n- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim"

LOADING_TIP_444:0 "The nation's success requires internal peace. What contrasts are smaller, whether it is language or differences between social classes and ideologies, the better for my country.\n- Kyosti Kallio"
LOADING_TIP_445:0 "I thank the Swedish people for the great sacrifice they made towards our people, and the arms and equipment that Sweden and the western powers generously provided to us.\n- Kyosti Kallio"
LOADING_TIP_446:0 "Now the whole world sees that it's not just about the security of Leningrad.\n- Kyosti Kallio"
LOADING_TIP_447:0 "The damage of war is heavy in many respects, but we trust that those civilized peoples who recognize the foundations of our defense will see it as their duty to support us in our reconstruction work.\n- Kyosti Kallio"
LOADING_TIP_448:0 "We have opportunities to build our future, because the Finnish people survived, our state apparatus is untouched and the Finnish national parliament and honor remain brightened and more determined about their future tasks.\n- Kyosti Kallio"
LOADING_TIP_449:0 "I know I interpret the feelings of our entire people when I say that during this war, Marshal Mannerheim has stepped ever closer to the hearts of the people.\n- Kyosti Kallio"
LOADING_TIP_450:0 "Thinking of the heroic defense of our people and the terms of peace, we are overwhelmed with deep sorrow from mutilating our country, but our common sense urges us to gather all our strength for unanimous construction work as we move forward toward the future.\n- Kyosti Kallio"

CANADA:

LOADING_TIP_451:0 "Through the mud and the blood to the green fields beyond.\n- Royal Canadian Armoured Corps motto"

LOADING_TIP_452:0 "To understand Hitler, remember his limited opportunities in his early life, his imprisonment, et cetera. It is marvelous what he has attained unto himself through his self-education.\n- William Lyons MacKenzie King"
LOADING_TIP_453:0 "He has a very nice, sweet and, one could see, how particularly humble folk would come to have a profound love for the man.\n- William Lyons MacKenzie King about Hitler, 1937"
LOADING_TIP_454:0 "Government, in the last analysis, is organized opinion. Where there is little or no public opinion, there is likely to be bad government, which sooner or later becomes autocratic government.\n- William Lyons MacKenzie King"
LOADING_TIP_455:0 "Self-denial and self-discipline, however, will be recognized as the outstanding qualities of a good soldier.\n- William Lyons MacKenzie King"
LOADING_TIP_456:0 "Since the outbreak of war, there has been in our country a steady increase in the consumption of spirits, wine and beer.\n- William Lyons MacKenzie King"
LOADING_TIP_457:0 "If the military might of Germany and Japan are ultimately to be crushed, the United Nations, one and all, must definitely and urgently strive toward a total war effort.\n- William Lyons MacKenzie King"
LOADING_TIP_458:0 "Conscription if necessary, but not necessarily conscription.\n- William Lyons MacKenzie King"
LOADING_TIP_459:0 "The politician's promises of yesterday are the taxes of today.\n- William Lyons MacKenzie King"
LOADING_TIP_460:0 "Some countries have too much history, Canada has too much geography.\n- William Lyons MacKenzie King"
LOADING_TIP_461:0 "Every hour of useful work is precious.\n- William Lyons MacKenzie King"
LOADING_TIP_462:0 "From the outset of the war, the Canadian people have clearly shown that it is their desire to help in every way to make Canada's war effort as effective as possible.\n- William Lyons MacKenzie King"
LOADING_TIP_463:0 "Let it be remembered, too, that at a time of war, nearly every one is under great strain.\n- William Lyons MacKenzie King"
LOADING_TIP_464:0 "Fortunately, the Canadian people in all their habits, are essentially a temperate people.\n- William Lyons MacKenzie King"
LOADING_TIP_465:0 "As to the advantages of temperance in the training of the armed forces and of its benefits to the members of the forces themselves, there can be no doubt in the world.\n- William Lyons MacKenzie King"
LOADING_TIP_466:0 "Only the man who disciplines himself strictly can stand for long the terrific pace of modern war.\n- William Lyons MacKenzie King"
LOADING_TIP_467:0 "Temperance is essential, if the services of men and women are to be employed to the best and most useful effect according, to the physical capacity and ability of each. Nothing less will assure a total effort.\n- William Lyons MacKenzie King"

NEW ZEELAND:

LOADING_TIP_468:0 "You can pay too high a price, even for peace!\n- Michael Joseph Savage on Chamberlain appeasement's policy"
LOADING_TIP_469:0 "We might make mistakes but we will make other things too!\n- Michael Joseph Savage"
LOADING_TIP_470:0 "We are not going to have people living in slums while there are workmen here capable of building decent houses.\n- Michael Joseph Savage"

AUSTRALIA:

LOADING_TIP_471:0 "If I link the Pacific War to a football match, I can say to you that the first half is over, we kicked off after the interval, and we are going to carry the ball into enemy territory for a smashing victory.\n- John Curtain"
LOADING_TIP_472:0 "In order to wage war effectually, there has to be a determination on the part of the people to pledge themselves to the cause because the cause, when won, will have been worth the winning.\n- John Curtain"
LOADING_TIP_473:0 "The pursuit of knowledge is far more important than even knowledge itself. It involves discipline and training, which, in turn are moulders of character.\n- John Curtain"
LOADING_TIP_474:0 "The price of liberty is eternal vigilance, and this vigilance can best be guaranteed by keeping before the people’s eyes an appreciation of the value of what has been obtained for them at the price of grievous sacrifice.\n- John Curtain"

SOUTH AFRICA:

LOADING_TIP_475:0 "What was everybody's business in the end proved to be nobody's business. Each one looked to the other to take the lead, and the aggressors got away with it.\n- Jan Christian Smuts"
LOADING_TIP_476:0 "It was the human spirit itself that failed at Paris. It is no use passing judgments and making scapegoats of this or that individual statesman or group of statesmen.\n- Jan Christian Smuts"
LOADING_TIP_477:0 "Idealists make a mistake in not facing real facts sincerely and resolutely. They believe in the power of the spirit, the goodness which is at the heart of things, the triumph which is in store for the great moral ideals.\n- Jan Christian Smuts"
LOADING_TIP_478:0 "This idealist faith only too often leads to an optimism which is sadly and fatally at variance with actual results. It is the realist and not the idealist who is generally justified by events.\n- Jan Christian Smuts"
LOADING_TIP_479:0 "We forget that the human spirit, the spirit of goodness and truth in the world, is still only an infant crying in the night, and that the struggle with darkness is as yet mostly an unequal struggle.\n- Jan Christian Smuts"
LOADING_TIP_480:0 "Some of you will not come back. Some of you will come back maimed. Those of you who do come back will come back changed men. That is war!\n- Jan Christian Smuts"
LOADING_TIP_481:0 "It is the cleanest, neatest, most sudden and spectacular victory of the war, and in size is quite comparable to the German defeat before Stalingrad.\n- Jan Christian Smuts at the conclusion of the North African Campaign, 1943"

ROMANIA:

LOADING_TIP_482:0 "I would rather die in a swamp in Greater Romania than in a paradise in a small Romania.\n- Ion Antonescu"
LOADING_TIP_483:0 "People don't matter, only what they represent.\n- Ion Antonescu"
LOADING_TIP_484:0 "Revolutions aren't acts of violence, but ideas on the march! All real national revolutions were made through building walls, not through demolishing them!\n- Ion Antonescu"
LOADING_TIP_485:0 "Soldiers, I order you! Cross the Pruth river! Liberate our brothers from the red yoke of communism! Reunite the old glory of Bessarabia and noble forests of Bukovina with the motherland!\n- Ion Antonescu, 1941"
LOADING_TIP_486:0 "The army is the last card a nation can play.\n- Ion Antonescu"
LOADING_TIP_487:0 "The life of the peoples is an eternal and tense struggle; a struggle for rights and justice, a struggle for affirmation and exaltation.\n- Ion Antonescu"
LOADING_TIP_488:0 "I am honored that I have been able to fight in four wars for your honor, dear people, for your rights and for your freedoms.\n- Ion Antonescu"
LOADING_TIP_489:0 "No storm, no invasion, no earthquake, no occupation, no blow, no matter how painful or devastating, could have struck the Romanians from Dacia Trajan.\n- Ion Antonescu"
LOADING_TIP_490:0 "I want order, let it be understood that we are a civilized army, that brings order and safety, not barbarian hordes that destroy everything in their path.\n- Ion Antonescu
LOADING_TIP_491:0 "I can't form a healthy army from a sick state, first I need to heal the state.\n- Ion Antonescu"
LOADING_TIP_492:0 "History will not forget the guilty, and all of us were guilty, some because we stood and watched, some because we were quiet, some because we made mistakes, all because we allowed it.\n- Ion Antonescu, after Romania was amputated in 1940"
LOADING_TIP_493:0 "Be humane, be upright and recognize that, above all ambitions, intrigues and hates, is the motherland, and that we must always meet there, even if we do not always get along.\n- Ion Antonescu"
LOADING_TIP_494:0 "Just as you fight for England, I fight for my country, but out sufferings, battles and threats, you cannot immagine. We were attacked, although we didn't attack anyone, what was ours was taken.\n- Ion Antonescu to General Maitland Wilson"
LOADING_TIP_495:0 "I foresee a third world war that will put humanity on its true social foundations. As such, you and your communist followers will do tomorrow what I tried to do today.\n- Ion Antonescu"
LOADING_TIP_496:0 "If I had won the war, you would have built me statues in every city, but because I lost I will have to die. I ask to be sentenced to death and refuse any pardon.\n- Ion Antonescu, on his trial"
LOADING_TIP_497:0 "We Romanians, are looking for great and non-executable solutions. That's why we stand still. Simple, achievable solutions are the best. I applied them in the war and got results.\n- Ion Antonescu"

LOADING_TIP_498:0 "Antonescu, no one in this country knows better than the King how much we owe you.\n- King Ferdinand to Ion Antonescu, 1919"

LOADING_TIP_499:0 "He is hard-working and knows how to organize, but has a naive confidence in his powers, but when he sets his mind to something he does it well, even if it is not important.\n- Queen Marie about King Carol II"

LOADING_TIP_500:0 "I do not wish to let my country be engaged in a war which would result in the destruction of its army and the occupation of its territory.\n- King Carol II"
LOADING_TIP_501:0 "I am ashamed of myself.\n- King Carol II, after giving up Bessarabia"

LOADING_TIP_502:0 "Antonescu and the rest considered me a child. When I took the state under their noses they were so surprised they didn't know what to do.\n- King Michael I of Romania"
LOADING_TIP_503:0 "Antonescu's biggest mistake was going to Stalingrad. This couldn't be accepted in Romania. What were we doing out there? Everyone agreed to retake Bessarabia, but no centerpiece from the Dniester.\n- King Michael I of Romania"
LOADING_TIP_504:0 "After August 23, the Russian offensive stopped. I suppose they wanted the same result as in Warsaw, where they stopped the offensive, letting the Germans destroy the Poles, then resumed the offensive.\n- King Michael I of Romania"
LOADING_TIP_505:0 "If you are in an exceptional position, it does not mean that you must treat others from above.\n- King Michael I of Romania"
LOADING_TIP_506:0 "The crown strengthened Romania through loyalty, courage, respect, seriousness and modesty.\n- King Michael I of Romania"
LOADING_TIP_507:0 "The value of royalty lies above the political alternatives and the systems of government. It guarantees pride, identity, continuity and traditions to the Romanian people.\n- King Michael I of Romania"
LOADING_TIP_508:0 "We are people like any other, but our role imposes certain responsibilities. We have a debt to fulfill, and that's first of all.\n- King Michael I of Romania"
LOADING_TIP_509:0 "Romania went forward through the ideals of the great people of our history, served responsibly and generously.\n- King Michael I of Romania"
LOADING_TIP_510:0 "The royal crown is not a symbol of the past, but a unique representation of our independence, sovereignty and unity.\n- King Michael I of Romania"
LOADING_TIP_511:0 "I do not see Romania today as an inheritance from our parents, but as a country that we borrowed from our children.\n- King Michael I of Romania"
LOADING_TIP_512:0 "We will have a chance in the future only if we take our own responsibility. No one else will come and offer the good to us.\n- King Michael I of Romania"
LOADING_TIP_513:0 "Many think I'm a millionaire. Communist propaganda said that I left the country with dozens of cars full of gold and riches. And that has caught some people.\n- King Michael I of Romania"
LOADING_TIP_514:0 "If a radical change is made, things will go much faster. But it is important for the simple man to understand, to feel that something is done for him. And this starts from simple things like his home, his land.\n- King Michael I of Romania"
LOADING_TIP_515:0 "During the period from 1944 to 1947 I was very unhappy. I can't say I was very hurt, but I was upset and disappointed, because I really hoped that the US and the UK would do something to stop the Russians.\n- King Michael I of Romania"
LOADING_TIP_516:0 "Being Latin, the Russian oppression was greater to us than to the Slavic countries, closer to the Russians. We were more rebellious, more unruly. That's why the oppression was stronger to us.\n- King Michael I of Romania"
LOADING_TIP_517:0 "We must always remember our past, if you don't have a past you can't have a future, remember where you came from, a country without a past is a country without a soul. We cannot have a future without respecting our past.\n- King Michael I of Romania"
LOADING_TIP_518:0 "The most important things to gain, after freedom and democracy, are identity and dignity.\n- King Michael I of Romania"
LOADING_TIP_519:0 "The world of tomorrow cannot exist without good morals, faith and memory. Cynicism, narrow interest and cowardice should not be part of our lives.\n- King Michael I of Romania"

LOADING_TIP_520:0 "This must be seen as an end, and at the same time as a beginning, it wipes out a lost war and it is a starting point for a new life.\n- Gheorghe Tatarescu, during the Paris Peace Treaties"
LOADING_TIP_521:0 "The Russians will continue to stay. I do not believe in a war between the west and communism. My duty is to sign the Peace Treaty and save what is left of Romania.\n- Gheorghe Tatarescu"

HUNGARY:

LOADING_TIP_522:0 "What was I to do? My resignation would not prevent the military occupation, it would merely give Hitler and opportunity to introduce an 100% Nazi Arrow-Cross regime.\n- Miklós Horthy"
LOADING_TIP_523:0 "As I continued head of the state, the Germans would have to show a certain circumspection, they would have to leave the Hungarian Army under my orders.\n- Miklós Horthy"

YUGOSLAVIA:

LOADING_TIP_524:0 "Let that man be a Bosnian, Herzegovinian. Everyone can be what they feel that they are, and no one has a right to force a nationality upon them.\n- Josip Broz Tito"
LOADING_TIP_525:0 "None of our republics would be anything if we weren't all together; but we have to create our own history, history of United Yugoslavia, also in the future.\n- Josip Broz Tito"
LOADING_TIP_526:0 "No one questioned who is a Serb, who is a Croat, who is a Bosniak, we were all one people, that's how it was back then, and I still think it is that way today.\n- Josip Broz Tito"
LOADING_TIP_527:0 "I am the leader of one country with 2 alphabets, 3 languages, 4 religions, 5 nationalities, 6 republics, 7 neighbours and 8 ethnic minorities.\n- Josip Broz Tito"
LOADING_TIP_528:0 "A decade ago young people en masse began declaring themselves as Yugoslavs. It was a form of rising Yugoslav nationalism to a single socialist self-managing society.\n- Josip Broz Tito"
LOADING_TIP_529:0 "Stalin, stop sending people to kill me! I already captured 5 of them. If you don't stop sending people to kill me, I will send one to Moscow and I certainly won't have to send another.\n- Josip Broz Tito, to Joseph Stalin"
LOADING_TIP_530:0 "The people of Yugoslavia do not want fascism, they do not want a totalitarian regime, they do not want to become slaves of the German and Italian.\n- Josip Broz Tito"
LOADING_TIP_531:0 "Churchill is a great man, he is of course an enemy and always was an enemy of coummunism, but he is an enemy one must respect, an enemy one likes to have.\n- Josip Broz Tito"
LOADING_TIP_532:0 "Today, 9 May, exactly 49 months and 3 days after the Fascist attack on Yugoslavia, the most powerful aggressive force in Europe, Germany, has capitulated.\n- Josip Broz Tito"

LOADING_TIP_533:0 "I am glad because you are young and I am pleased because you will be a great ruler. I will live enough to see your return to a free Yugoslavia".\n- Nikola Tesla to King Peter II of Yugoslavia"

LOADING_TIP_534:0 "Guard the Yugoslavia for me! I am proud to be a Serb and a Yugoslav!".\n- King Alexander I of Yugoslavia's last letter to his son, King Peter II of Yugoslavia"

LOADING_TIP_535:0 "I swore that I would give my life for the King and the Fartherland. I have fulfilled my oath.\n- Draza Mihailovic"
LOADING_TIP_536:0 "I would like to live to see what kind of state will be created by your communist youth!\n- Draza Mihailovic to Josip Broz Tito on his trial, 1946"
LOADING_TIP_537:0 "More than 3 years ago I took up arms to fight for democracy against dictatorship in the form of nazism and fascism. If I must die in fighting against a new form of dictatorship, I shall die.\n- Draza Mihailovic"

LOADING_TIP_538:0 "General Dragoljub Mihailovich distinguished himself by organizing and leading important resistance forces against the enemy which occupied Yugoslavia.\n- Harry S. Truman

LOADING_TIP_539:0 "The tragedy of Draza Mihailovic cannot erase from memory his struggle against nazism and communism. He knew that totalitarianism, whatever name it might take, is the death of freedom.\n- Ronald Reagan"

LOADING_TIP_540:0 "He saved our lives, let's save his!"\n- The Committee for a Fair Trial for General Mihailovich"

LOADING_TIP_541:0 "Today, the weather is beautiful, this is the best proof that God is with us, victory is ours!"\n- Milan Stojdanovic"

CZECHOSLOVAKIA:

LOADING_TIP_542:0 "Of one thing I am profoundly convinced, my people will never abandon their democratic way of life.\n- Edvard Benes"
LOADING_TIP_543:0 "I am fully convinced that peace in Europe can be preserved. I consider it my duty to try everything, which would contribute towards peace.\n- Edvard Benes"
LOADING_TIP_544:0 "I continue in the hope that there will be no war. I am convinced that it will always be possible to prevent it.\n- Edvard Benes"

LOADING_TIP_545:0 "We, at the time, thought that the resistance was possible and desirable and in fact some of the Czechoslovak generals and some of the political leaders felt the same way.\n- Gordon Skilling"
LOADING_TIP_546:0 "I remember a huge meeting of protest against Germany and Munich, at which leaders of the main pro-resistance parties from the Communists to the nationalists spoke.\n- Gordon Skilling"
LOADING_TIP_547:0 "The troops went off to the borders and the planes were ready but unfortunately President Benes decided to capitulate and to give way to the British and French demands.\n- Gordon Skilling"

LOADING_TIP_548:0 "I'm of the opinion that it was a mistake not to fight, even without the western allies.\n- Jaroslav Hrbek"
LOADING_TIP_549:0 "By the last vote of the French government before Munich, there was a majority of just one vote for those who wanted to seek an agreement. The other half wanted to go to war.\n- Jaroslav Hrbek"

LOADING_TIP_550:0 "We continue to believe that it is possible to avert a general catastrophe, which would affect almost the whole world.\n- Hubert Ripka"

LOADING_TIP_551:0 "I have entrusted our country to the Fuhrer and have been promised his trust.\n- Emil Hacha"

LOADING_TIP_552:0 "Because of my parents' love of democracy, we came to America after being driven twice from our home in Czechoslovakia, first by Hitler and then by Stalin.\n- Madeleine Albright"

POLAND:

LOADING_TIP_553:0 "Who doesn’t respect and value his past, is not worth the honour of the present, and has no right to a future.\n- Józef Piłsudski"
LOADING_TIP_554:0 "To be defeated and not submit, is victory. To be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat.\n- Józef Piłsudski"
LOADING_TIP_555:0 "Warsaw is not waiting for empty words of praise, for expressions of recognition, not for assurances of sympathy. Warsaw is waiting for weapons and ammunition.\n- Józef Piłsudski"

LOADING_TIP_556:0 "In comparison with the NKVD, the Gestapo methods are child's play.\n- Leopold Okulicki"

LOADING_TIP_557:0 "Polish soldiers fight for freedom of other nations but die only for Poland.\n- Stanisław Maczek"

LOADING_TIP_558:0 "May God permit us both to return to a free and independent Poland.\n- Władysław Anders"
LOADING_TIP_559:0 "Our standards covered with glory, we are facing the greatest tragedy of our nation.\n- Władysław Anders"
LOADING_TIP_560:0 "Hitler's blunders, and the Anglo-American supplies, were most probably the main causes of the German defeat in the east. That the Kremlin's legend wants it differently, describing the victory over Germany as the exclusive achievement of the Soviets, is quite another matter.\n- Władysław Anders"

LOADING_TIP_561:0 "Parachuting has taught us to be strong, and only those are needed by our country.\n- Stanisław Sosabowski"
LOADING_TIP_562:0 "When jumping with a parachute, everyone is afraid. Do not believe those who say that they were not afraid. It is not true, and it would be unnatural.\n- Stanisław Sosabowski"

LOADING_TIP_463:0 "We do not beg for freedom, we fight for freedom. Yes, I had it written on the plane. In the Battle of Britain, we had a record of 126 shots, with the lowest own losses.\n- Witold Urbanowicz"
LOADING_TIP_464:0 "After a few days we were already instructors of English fighters.\n- Witold Urbanowicz"
LOADING_TIP_465:0 "It was a very attractive show for viewers on earth. The howling of the engines, the rattling of the machine gun, developed white parachute mushrooms, burning planes with tails of black smoke, it had to look very impressive.\n- Witold Urbanowicz, about the Battle of Britain"
LOADING_TIP_466:0 "When the first planes took off, Churchill entered the operation room. All squadrons were thrown into the air. When Churchill asked Keith Park what the reserves were, he heard none.\n- Witold Urbanowicz"

LOADING_TIP_567:0 "Nowadays, when the words peace and war are alternately on the lips of the world, we say: we value and respect peace like other nations. But there is no power that would convince us that peace is a word that for some means to take and for others to give!\n- Edward Rydz-Śmigły"
LOADING_TIP_568:0 "We do not have aggressive intentions towards anyone, which is probably clear and beyond doubt, just as there is no doubt that we will oppose all measures, without any restraint, of any direct or indirect attempt to violate the interests, rights and dignity of our state.\n- Edward Rydz-Śmigły"
LOADING_TIP_569:0 "There is no choice, you have to say: You have to stand here in ranks next to us like a brother, or you are not a brother.\n- Edward Rydz-Śmigły"

LOADING_TIP_570:0 "If we behaved completely passively, Warsaw would not have avoided damage and losses. We had to reckon with the fact that if the capital became a battlefield and street battle between Germany and the Soviets, the fate of Stalingrad could await it.\n- Tadeusz Komorowski"
LOADING_TIP_571:0 "We are ready at any time to fight for Warsaw. The arrival of this parachute brigade will have enormous political and tactical significance.\n- Tadeusz Komorowski"
LOADING_TIP_572:0 "In the face of our regular Russian army entering the land, act as host. One should strive for the Polish commander to meet the invading Soviet troops, who had fought with Germany and, as a result, be the best host.\n- Tadeusz Komorowski"
LOADING_TIP_573:0 "We must remember one thing: armed resistance and struggle against the invaders were not imposed on society by any order from above. This decision was made by the whole nation spontaneously, not in August '44 but already in September '39.\n- Tadeusz Komorowski"

LOADING_TIP_574:0 "I found a joy in myself, coming from the awareness that I want to fight.\n- Witold Pilecki"
LOADING_TIP_575:0 "I've been trying to live my life so that in the hour of my death I would feel joy rather than fear.\n- Witold Pilecki, after the announcement of his death sentence"

SPAIN:

LOADING_TIP_576:0 "I am responsible only to God and history.\n- Francisco Franco"
LOADING_TIP_577:0 "The whole secret of the campaigns unleashed against Spain can be explained in two words: masonry and communism, we have to extirpate these two evils from our land.\n- Francisco Franco"
LOADING_TIP_578:0 "Fascism is essentially a defensive reaction of the organism, a manifestation of the desire to live, of the desire not to die, which at certain times seizes a whole people.\n- Francisco Franco"
LOADING_TIP_579:0 "The defence of internal peace and order constitutes the sacred mission of a nation's armed forces and that is what we have carried out.\n- Francisco Franco"

LOADING_TIP_580:0 "What does the corpse care who was right and who was wrong?\n- Manuel Azana"
LOADING_TIP_581:0 "In Spain, the best way to keep a secret is to write a book.\n- Manuel Azana"
LOADING_TIP_582:0 "A policy should never be based on the extermination of the adversary; not only because, and that is a lot to say, it is morally an abomination, but because it is materially unfeasible.\n- Manuel Azana"

LOADING_TIP_583:0 "The 'democratic' governments of the imperialist powers Britain and France did everything they could throughout the war to prevent the victory of the Spanish people.\n- Jose Diaz"
LOADING_TIP_584:0 "The communist party consistently struggled for the formation of a united trade union centre, but the socialist and anarchist leaders always opposed this.\n- Jose Diaz"
LOADING_TIP_585:0 "The war showed the total emptiness of anarchist theory and practice.\n- Jose Diaz"
LOADING_TIP_535:0 "To overcome the external enemy, it is essential at the same time to destroy the internal enemy.\n- Jose Diaz"
LOADING_TIP_586:0 "The socialist leaders lost all shame and willingly betrayed the interests of the working class.\n- Jose Diaz"
LOADING_TIP_587:0 "For almost 3 years it struggled heroically, taking terribly sacrifices, in spite of this the Spanish people were defeated, but that defeat is only temporary.\n- Jose Diaz"
LOADING_TIP_588:0 "Young people won the opportunity to study and prepare for the future in a free country, culture ceased to be a class privilege, schools and universities opened their doors to the people.\n- Jose Diaz about Spain before the Civil War"

ESTONIA:

LOADING_TIP_589:0 "Countries in which one person is at the head of a state and all government is concentrated in one person can be at serious risk. If everyone is accustomed to relying on one person, they become stagnant.\n- Konstantin Pats"
LOADING_TIP_590:0 "We overcome all difficulties when we create institutions, but do not make people idols and commanders.\n- Konstantin Pats"
LOADING_TIP_591:0 "No compromise with the communists, no negotiation! Gunmen against weapons! All men out to protect the free Estonian nation and holy homeland!\n- Konstantin Pats, 1918"

LATVIA:

LOADING_TIP_592:0 "Absolutely good in man is as impossible as absolute evil. Evil is needed when kept well together, as well as foreign matter mixed with gold, so that when it is turned into a ring it will not break.\n- Karlis Ulmanis"
LOADING_TIP_593:0 "People cannot get together with one another because of their inequalities, because there is still something imperfect in friendship, always one is the giver and the other is the receiver.\n- Karlis Ulmanis"
LOADING_TIP_594:0 "Politics is the nation's active efforts and public expression. Politics should not be handed some individual, group, party, class interests. Policy should be rendered all the people and the public interest.\n- Karlis Ulmanis"
LOADING_TIP_595:0 "We say we are a small nation. We forget that if anyone is small, it should particularly care for it.\n- Karlis Ulmanis"
LOADING_TIP_596:0 "Time has come when the Latvians need to take the upper hand in all things, but allow others to live.\n- Karlis Ulmanis"
LOADING_TIP_597:0 "Latvian people are the only masters of this country, Latvians will themselves promulgate the laws and judge for themselves what justice is.\n- Karlis Ulmanis"
LOADING_TIP_598:0 "This land is ours and will remain ours. We are the rulers of our native land, you let your heart rejoice about it.\n- Karlis Ulmanis"
LOADING_TIP_599:0 "It is easier to criticize than to work a job.\n- Karlis Ulmanis"
LOADING_TIP_600:0 "Happy are the people whose sons have not only high and noble purpose, but are also afraid to be the victims of their achievement.\n- Karlis Ulmanis"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.