Things that need to be fixed before "La Resistance" comes.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the Info Zeprion. I try to play with Mods for such an correct population and some other things you mention here. That´s something for the next Patchupdate 1.9.1 after Release of the the Main-Version.

It was my pleasure, thank you for fixing it! :D

Just a minor mention to make sure we avoid creating another bug while fixing this one:
The national spirit "King Carol II" that gives +0.02% democracy support is in fact used as the effect of 2 exclusive focuses: "Handle the King" where King Carol II's powers are restricted to a figurehead and the state no longer pays for his personal expenses, this is on the democratic path and here it makes sense to have +0.02% democracy support; and "All Parties Must End" where he is still in power but willingly gives up on his hendonistic lifestyle and actually starts to take care of the country, this is on the non-aligned path and was supposed to be a +0.02% Non-Alligned support.

If you only change the effect of national spirit "King Carol II" it will ruin the democratic path after "Handle the King". Instead, you should create a new national spirit such as "Competent King" that gives +0.02% Non-Alligned support.

This has already been accounted for :)

Hi Zeprion! Thanks so much for all this feedback. While unfortunately there isn't enough time to address all of this, I did fix this one! All Parties Must End now gives a non-aligned drift instead of democratic. :)

I'm surprised. That's a thing I was annoyed about, but this is nice change overrall

Hi Zeprion! Thanks so much for all this feedback. While unfortunately there isn't enough time to address all of this, I did fix this one! All Parties Must End now gives a non-aligned drift instead of democratic. :)
What about removing the Ukrainian core from Southern Bessarabia? (point 2, *)
Adding decisions to lower puppet's autonomy so you can integrate them into Romania after completing "All Parties Must End" ? (minor suggestions 1, *)
And adding prioritization in Kingdom of Romania's building focus trees? (minor suggestions 2)

These changes can be done in a few minutes and they won't change the flow of the game at all so there's no need for testing to see if they're game-breaking.

There is 2 more things I forgot to mention:

6. The city of Chernivisti in Northern Bukovina (state ID: 80) should be called Cernăuți
-> Chernivisti is the current name of the city as part of Ukraine but back in 1936 and 1939 the city was part of Romania and named Cernăuți.

7. The Soviet Union should get a claim on Southern Bessarabia as well after Ribbentrop-Molotov Pact -> This doesn't change the game in any significant way, but having USSR claiming Northern Bukovina and Bessarabia but not Southern Bessarabia (state ID: 766) breaks immersion a bit.

Adding decisions to lower puppet's autonomy so you can integrate them into Romania after completing "All Parties Must End" ? (minor suggestions 1, *)
And adding prioritization in Kingdom of Romania's building focus trees? (minor suggestions 2)

These changes can be done in a few minutes and they won't change the flow of the game at all so there's no need for testing to see if they're game-breaking.

There is 2 more things I forgot to mention:

6. The city of Chernivisti in Northern Bukovina (state ID: 80) should be called Cernăuți
-> Chernivisti is the current name of the city as part of Ukraine but back in 1936 and 1939 the city was part of Romania and named Cernăuți.

7. The Soviet Union should get a claim on Southern Bessarabia as well after Ribbentrop-Molotov Pact -> This doesn't change the game in any significant way, but having USSR claiming Northern Bukovina and Bessarabia but not Southern Bessarabia (state ID: 766) breaks immersion a bit.

We're a week and a half from release, so nothing else can go in at this point!

The answer is all about so much love ;)
The answer is a mistake from the original Hearts of Iron IV researcher in terms of population. In 1930, Ethiopia did not have a population of 10.000.000 but of 16.041.000 so the actual growth from 1930 to 1935 is only +818.000 people. Maybe he couldn't find a population census to make an accurate estimation so he thought 10.000.000 will do.

I know, I know, I must be fun at parties :D, but I saw other people have wondered this too.

Last edited:
We're a week and a half from release, so nothing else can go in at this point!
Thank you for fixing the King Carol II national spirit and adding prioritization in Kingdom of Romania's building focus tree!
However, you skipped the "Invest in the IAR" focus right below "Invite Foreign Motor Companies" as it still builds military factories in random states. Can you please prioritize Oltenia in the next patch? state id 81.
Code:
Invest in the IAR = Prioritize Oltenia ; prioritize = { 81 }

@Zeprion @VashTheStampede I'm going to add another suggestion for Romania: the Hungarian state of Arfold should be reduced to lands east of Tisza river, and Northern Hungary should take the western lands and be renamed to Central Hungary.

Why? Because then Romania can annex it along with West Banat and form a "Greater Greater Romania". Considering there's an achievement that involves annexing a Hungarian state as Romania, it would be a nice change.

I'm referring to being able to get this ingame:

6U4FBbu.jpg

Another nice change would be Romania actually getting claims on West Banat, Arfold and Transnistria (and Carpathian Ruthenia?) when going Balkans Dominance.

Last edited:
Thank you for fixing the King Carol II national spirit and adding prioritization in Kingdom of Romania's building focus tree!
However, you skipped the "Invest in the IAR" focus right below "Invite Foreign Motor Companies" as it still builds military factories in random states. Can you please prioritize Oltenia in the next patch? state id 81.
Code:
Invest in the IAR = Prioritize Oltenia ; prioritize = { 81 }

It wasn't skipped, I only addressed the focus fix i mentioned above. While all of this is valid feedback for Romania, I feel it would better fit in the schedule where we have time to devote to making it good instead of just throwing a few tiny fixes in here and there. Some of these things I can fix myself, others are more complex and will require support from content design and code, and due to other priorities I am unable to divert their attention at this time. I am actively monitoring this thread though, so I can assure you we will get to this at some point, I just cannot say when! I will definitely keep you updated though :)

@Áurum Good point. During World War I, Romania's territorial claims included West Banat, Arfold and Carpathian Ruthenia; and were promised in the 1916 treaty. But the Entente didn't give Romania those territories because they considered Romania already got the lion's share of territories with Transylvania, Bukovina and Bessarabia; and because unlike these territories, West Banat, Arfold and Carpathian Ruthenia had no Romanian majority.

Romania's claims were based on historic right. West Banat, Arfold and Carpathian Ruthenia used to be part of the Kingdom of Dacia before the Roman invasion, and more recently one debated source from the Middle Ages called Gesta Hungarorum describes how when the Hungarians arrived in Transylvania there were 3 Romanian counties that were conquered: of Gelu, Glad and Menumorut. Glad's domain included West Banat, Glad's domain included Carpathian Ruthenia and Menumorut's domain included Arfold.

It's wrong to say that Romania didn't fight for these territories, both diplomatically and literally. There was the Hungarian-Romanian War of 1919 where the Romanian army refused to retreat east towards the Tisza river at the Entente's request and the Banat Question was a source of great debate between Romania and Serbia at the Paris Peace Conference, with both claiming all of Banat, eventually Banat was divided on ethnic lines.

Transnistria however, was never considered rightful Romanian territory, not even during World War II, the occupation of Transnistria served as compensation for the loss of North Transylvania and revenge for Bessarabia. Romania's national poet, Mihai Eminescu (1850 - 1889), wrote a poem named "From Dniester to Tisza", this was in the late 19th century when Romania was made only out of Oltenia, Muntenia, Moldavia and Dobruja.

Passage from the book "Romania: Borderland of Europe":
The phrase "De la Nistru pana la Tisa" (From Dniester to Tisza) is well known to Romanians, it defines the limits of an ideal Romania, though we should note that the Romanian population extends in the east beyond the Dniester, while both banks of the Tisza are completly Hungarian for most of the river's length. To the south, the Danube completes the symbolic geography of Romania: an enclosed space between 3 rivers, with an area of 300.000 sq km, comparable to that of Italy or the British Isles. Rivers then are perceived as natural borders, separating Romanians from Others.

47342086_10218093484796405_1902701113769984000_n.jpg

It wasn't skipped, I only addressed the focus fix i mentioned above. While all of this is valid feedback for Romania, I feel it would better fit in the schedule where we have time to devote to making it good instead of just throwing a few tiny fixes in here and there. Some of these things I can fix myself, others are more complex and will require support from content design and code, and due to other priorities I am unable to divert their attention at this time. I am actively monitoring this thread though, so I can assure you we will get to this at some point, I just cannot say when! I will definitely keep you updated though :)
I see, thanks for taking the time to keep working on this even after the DLC that included Romania came out!

There are some other things I would like to add:

8. The 'not complete focus' criterias of the achievement "Death or Dishonor or Cake" are weird -> To get the achievement, you must have at least 1 core of each of your starting neighbour states: Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland and the Soviet Union. You must also have Carol II as the country's leader, you can do this without Carol II but I understand this is supposed to be a Carol II non-aligned playthrough. But what I don't understand is why you must not complete the following focuses: "All Parties Must End", "Force Abdication" and "Handle the King" ? they are not something that makes getting this achievement harder, but useless criterias.

I assume "Force Abdication" and "Handle the King" must be there to avoid going a democratic path, since this is supposed to be a Carol II non-aligned playthrough, but why is "All Parties Must End" too then? this is the final focus in a non-aligned playthrough path. I'm not bothered by them since they don't make the achievement harder, just find it weird why they are there.

9. Add the event option to annex instead of puppet Bulgaria, Hungary, Yugoslavia and Slovakia in the Balkan Dominance path -> Even if this makes them more likely to go to war, a player may want to annex them instead. I don't see why this is impossible in an alternative history scenario, Germany's annexation of Austria and Czechoslovakia followed the same "I have a bigger army, become part of me or die" pattern, and the Soviet Union's annexation of the Baltic states. You can achieve the same ressult if you puppet them then reduce their autonomy.

10. Add decisions to annex West Banat, Arfold and Carpathian Ruthenia in the "Balkan Dominance" path -> Like @Áurum pointed out, Romania still viewed these 3 territories as rightfully theirs based on historical right, an authoritarian goverment that wants to dominate the Balkans would likely want to incorporate these territories in Romania as well. If Romania manages to puppet Yugoslavia, Hungary and Slovakia they should have a series of decisions to incorporate only these 3 territories in proper Romania. This should also make "Death or Dishonor or Cake" possible while still keeping the puppets.

11. Add Corneliu Zelea Codreanu as the leader of the Iron Guard, and if Romania doesn't become fascist or joins the Axis before November 1938 have him assassinated -> Corneliu Zelea Codreanu was the founder and leader of the Iron Guard until his assassination on November 1938. If the Iron Guard doesn’t become the ruling party and Romania doesn’t join the Axis by then, he is assassinated in an event and replaced by Ion Antonescu. But if either the Iron Guard becomes the ruling party or Romania joins the Axis before November 1938, Codreanu won’t die. In the first case because he is in power now and in the second because assassinating him will damage relations with Germany, given that now they are in an alliance. If you start the game in 1939, you will already have Ion Antonescu as the Iron Guard’s leader.

Additional historical Information:

The reality is a bit more complicated: Ion Antonescu wasn't a member of the Iron Guard and Corneliu Zelea Codreanu's actual successor was Horia Sima, Ion Antonescu said he liked Corneliu Zelea Codreanu but was horrified by Horia Sima. When King Carol II abdicated in September 1940, Ion Antonescu and the Iron Guard had an uneasy government coalition. During a German-Romanian summit, while Hitler did not produce a clear endorsement for taking down the Iron Guard, he made remarks about his support of Ion Antonescu. Hitler reasoned that while Horia Sima was ideologically closer to him, Ion Antonescu was the more competent leader, capable of ensuring stability in Romania while being committed to aligning his country with the Axis. Joseph Gobbels however, was especially upset by the decision to support Ion Antonescu. The disputes erupted into violence in 1941 when the Iron Guard instigated a series of attacks on public institutions and certain people that the far-right hates, Ion Antonescu sent in the army, under the command of General Constantin Sănătescu. German officials acting on Hitler's orders, helped Ion Antonescu eliminate the Iron Guard, but several of lower-level Germans, actively helped Horia Sima's subordinates. Hitler kept his options open by granting political asylum to Horia Sima and the rest of the Iron Guard. In parallel, Ion Antonescu publicly obtained the cooperation of "Codreanists", members of the Iron Guard who like Ion Antonescu had viruently opposed Horia Sima and considered the Iron Guard's true successor Ion Zelea Codreanu, the father of Corneliu Zelea Codreanu.

In the intewar, Corneliu Zelea Codreanu was noted to have been very charismatic and was favored by Hitler and Mussolini. Unlike Ion Antonescu, he was a stunch supporter of the Church, believing that "orthodoxy" and "romanianism" go hand in hand. American historican Stanley G. Payne described the Iron Guard as "probably the most unusual mass movement of interwar Europe" and him as "a sort of religious mystic". When he founded the Iron Guard, Corneliu Zelea Codreanu claimed to had a vision of the Archangel Michael who told him he had been chosen by God to be Romania's savior. Right from the start, a commitment to the values of the Eastern Orthodox Church was core to the message of the Legion, and Codreanu's alleged vision was a centerpiece of his message. Death was also a central element of the Iron Guard's ideology, they were that fanatical, promoting self-sacrifice and demanding self-destructiveness from its followers, it even had a team called "Echipa Mortii" (The Death Team) that would visit Romanian cities and sing about the legionnary's love of death for the motherland and that the legionnary death is the sweetest of them all, with the goal of recruiting new people and striking awe in the population.

The Iron Guard's high-ranking members were a secretive group called "Fratia de Cruce" (the Cross Brotherhood) who was responsable for leading "Cuiburi" (Nests), centers of legionaries spread throught the country. American historican Barbara Jelavich said that the Iron Guard "at first supported no set ideology, but instead emphasized the moral regeneration of the individual". The Iron Guard saw violence and self-sacrifice as virtures, "but only if the acts of terror were committed for the good of the cause and were subsequently expiated". Corneliu Zelea Codreanu explained that "the country is dying for lack of men and not for lack of political programs" and pointed out that the Legion was interested in the creation of a "new man". But his views and ideology was pretty far-right: he hated a certain group of people and preached for territorial expansionism, especially against the Soviet Union. He was also anti-capitalist, saying that capitalism and communism have a common source and vaguely indicated that his movement's economic goals implied a non-communist form of collectivism, where the worker's cause will be balanced with capitalism, leading to a world were employers and employees would be friends.

When he was elected a deputy in 1930 and serverd until 1932, he quickly became noted for exposing corruption of ministers and other politicians on a case-by-case basis. He said that he despised Romania's adherance to the Little Entente and the Balkan Pact, and that in 48 hours after he becomes leader of the country, Romania will ally with Germany and Italy. Surprisingly, such trust and confidence was reciprocated by both German and Italian officials who hoped for an eventual Iron Guard rule. In 1936, Corneliu Zelea Codreanu came to be financed by Nicolae Malaxa (the captain of industry in-game) and created "Corpul Muncitoresc Legionar" (The Legionary Worker Crops) in an attempt to marginalize left-wing politics inside the labor movement. He was assassinated in 1938. King Carol II knew that assassinating him will upset Hitler, but he also reasoned that while Corneliu Zelea Codreanu was alive, there was also an alternative to his rule.

The community party however didn't have such a "rich" history in the interwar. In 1921, communist Max Goldstein made a bomb attack in the Parliment of Romania, injuring all major party figures. After the event, Constantin Argetoianu stated his belief that "communism is over in Romania", and he was right. Not to mention that Romania still had the issue of Bessarabia, that USSR hasn't recognized as part of Romania. And the issue of the national treasure of Romania, that was not given back at the end of World War I. Already Romania had an antagonistic stance towards communism and in 1924 a law was passed that outlawed the communist party. With former communists organizing themselves in underground movements and conspiratorial networks. While Romanian communists who fled to the Soviet Union at various intervals formed the "Muscovite Wing" while the communists from Romania were known as the "Interior Wing".

In 1937 the communists found themselves in a funny situation. They supported Iuliu Maniu and PNT against King Carol II and PNL, who had intensified repression of Communist groups. But it turned out the Iron Guard signed an electoral pact with Maniu. In 1940, Romania had to cede Bessarabia and North Bukovina to the Soviet Union and South Dobruja to Bulgaria, in contrast with the general mood, the Romanian Communist Party welcomed both gestures. Official history during communist era says that the Communist Party protested North Transylvania's cession to Hungary in 1940, but evidence is inconclusive.

In 1943, when the Axis army was suffering major defeats on the Eastern Front, the Romanian Communist Party proposed all parties to form "Blocul National Democrat" (the National Democratic Bloc) in order to arrange for Romania to withdraw from its alliance with Nazi Germany. The ensuing talks were prolonged by various factors, most notably by the opposition of PNT's party leader Iuliu Maniu, who, alarmed by Soviet successes, was trying to reach a satisfactory compromise with the western Allies.

In 1944, the USRR's advance in Romania made possible the creation of the National Democratic Bloc. On 23 August 1944, during King Michael's Coup, a number of armed Communist-led civilians supported by the National Democratic Bloc arrested dictator Ion Antonescu and seized control of the state. King Michael I named general Constantin Sănătescu as prime minister but included one representative from each party including the Romanian Communist Party. Soon after 23 August, the Communists also engaged in a campaign against the other parties of Romania. With support from USSR, the communist party grew in numbers and formed a paramilitary wing "Apararea Patriotica" (the Patriotic Defense) who was eventually disbanded in 1948. The Romanian Communist party dissolved the National Democratic Bloc in late 1944. During the 1945 elections the Romanian Communisty party won most of the votes, although there is evidence of widespread electoral fraud. In 1947, the Communist Party's power was consolidated when King Michael was forced to abdicate, and Romania became a completly communist state. According to King Michael I, his signature was obtained after the Groza cabinet representatives threatened to kill 1,000 students they had rounded up in custody

There are no suggestions in this additional historical information, the next DLC is probably about the USSR and with Romania being right at the border, I wished to provide you some information that may help you create future content in the next DLC.

I previously made a topic about Ana Pauker, the leader of the Romanian communist "Muscovite Wing", nicknamed "Stalin with skirt": https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ana-pauker-stalin-with-skirt.1327143/

2. The eastern regions of Romania are a historical mess:
* The region of Southern Bessarabia shouldn't be an Ukrainian core -> it has less than 20% Ukrainian population at the time and was never previously part of Ukraine. The only reason a core was added in Waking the Tiger is because Southern Bessarabia is nowdays part of Ukraine, which is an absurd reasoning, the equivalent of giving Poland a core on Hinterpommern because is nowdays part of Poland.

Removing cores from Southern Basarabia is absurd. Ethnic composition claims are also quite weak, Romanians (including Moldavians) weren't a majority either:

ETHNIC_MAP_OF_BESSARABIA_IN_1930.svg

Moreover, you neglect that Romania tried shameless assimilation (which failed at making Romanians the largest minority even), banned minority languages, had riots including Tatarbunary uprising, repressed opposition and the only one legally could operate in Northern Bukovina region relying on grassroot support until in 1938 all parties were banned and OUN spread influence to Northern Bukovina.

The idea that "X wasn't a part of Ukraine" doesn't even stand a ground as argument as well. The Ukrainian SSR leadership never dropped those claims as well as emigration and Ukrainian parties outside of Ukraine. OUN operated in Northern Bukovina even, as well as in Czechoslovakia and even Hungary despite Ukrainian population there being a more minor than in Budjak.

So why there should not be Ukrainian core? There was population and claim, it was realized after WWII.

Edit: to sum it up, I do not see a reason to make a change to remove core. It's not justified.

Edit2: And yes, in that map Bulgarians and Russians were more fine being a part of Ukraine than of Romanian Kingdom. Tatarbunary incident and support for it from both minorities serve as an evidence.

Last edited:
The region of South Bessarabia was part of Romania and had a significant Romanian population, a lot more than Ukrainian and slightly more than Russian, this is why it has a core, you should look at interwar Poland and Czechoslovakia's ethnic maps. It wasn't an absolute majority (>50%) but it was a majority.

This is about game mechanics not history, but if you insist: every country in that time tried assimilation, I don't see how this makes Romania special. The banned minority languages part is false. You mean the Bolshevik sponsored Tatarbunary uprising? which kind of says everything about it.

I did not say that "the Ukrainian SSR never claimed South Bessarabia", I said that "South Bessarabia was never previously part of Ukraine", which is less of an idea and more of a fact. Can you name when South Bessarabia used to be part of Ukraine or even the Ukrainian SSR prior to 1940? Unless you can prove otherwise, the argument that Ukraine never had South Bessarabia prior to 1940 still stands.

Moreover, the Ukrainian SSR was just an internal puppet of the Soviet Union, Ukraine didn't exist as a state, it was a Soviet claim dating back to 1917, not an Ukrainian one, and one of my points mention that USSR should get a claim on South Bessarabia too after Ribbentrop-Molotov Pact.

An independent Ukraine claimed all of Bessarabia and tried to annex it during their war of independence in 1919, on what grounds was the claim I don't know, but the interwar Ukraine was a USSR puppet, not to mention that a claim is only a claim and doesn't make for a core.

So why there should not be an Ukrainian core? It wasn't part of Ukraine when the game started, it wasn't part of Ukraine anytime in history before 1940 and the Ukrainians were the 4th largest ethnic group in South Bessarabia. If we set the bar this low, Russia and Bulgaria should also have a core since they had more people than Ukraine, and other states where another ethnicity has about 20% of the population, which is absurd for both gameplay reasons (having many regions with multiple cores) and historical reasons (it was only 20% of the population but you get 100% of manpower and factories with 0 ressistance).

The Tatarbunary incident was orchestrated by the USSR, a quick google should tell you that. I'm pretty sure that Bulgarians would prefer to live in Bulgaria and consider the Ukrainians just another foreigner, they were both slavs and Romania was latin but I wonder how many Bulgarians would fight and die for Ukraine? And in the case of Russia, if in-game Ukraine becomes independent out of a civil war, nazi victory and creation of a puppet state, do you think the Russians would be happy living in that state? Last time there was an independent Ukraine they fought each other, the Ukrainian SSR was a USSR puppet so you cannot compare it with USSR because the Russians in Ukrainian USSR lived in 'Russia' not in 'Ukraine'.

The region of South Bessarabia was part of Romania and had a significant Romanian population, a lot more than Ukrainian and slightly more than Russian, this is why it has a core, you should look at interwar Poland and Czechoslovakia's ethnic maps. It wasn't an absolute majority (>50%) but it was a majority.

This is about game mechanics not history, but if you insist: every country in that time tried assimilation, I don't see how this makes Romania special. The banned minority languages part is false. You mean the Bolshevik sponsored Tatarbunary uprising? which kind of says everything about it.

I did not say that "the Ukrainian SSR never claimed South Bessarabia", I said that "South Bessarabia was never previously part of Ukraine", which is less of an idea and more of a fact. Can you name when South Bessarabia used to be part of Ukraine or even the Ukrainian SSR prior to 1940? Unless you can prove otherwise, the argument that Ukraine never had South Bessarabia prior to 1940 still stands.

Moreover, the Ukrainian SSR was just an internal puppet of the Soviet Union, Ukraine didn't exist as a state, it was a Soviet claim dating back to 1917, not an Ukrainian one, and one of my points mention that USSR should get a claim on South Bessarabia too after Ribbentrop-Molotov Pact.

An independent Ukraine claimed all of Bessarabia and tried to annex it during their war of independence in 1919, on what grounds was the claim I don't know, but the interwar Ukraine was a USSR puppet, not to mention that a claim is only a claim and doesn't make for a core.

So why there should not be an Ukrainian core? It wasn't part of Ukraine when the game started, it wasn't part of Ukraine anytime in history before 1940 and the Ukrainians were the 4th largest ethnic group in South Bessarabia. If we set the bar this low, Russia and Bulgaria should also have a core since they had more people than Ukraine, and other states where another ethnicity has about 20% of the population, which is absurd for both gameplay reasons (having many regions with multiple cores) and historical reasons (it was only 20% of the population but you get 100% of manpower and factories with 0 ressistance).

The Tatarbunary incident was orchestrated by the USSR, a quick google should tell you that. I'm pretty sure that Bulgarians would prefer to live in Bulgaria and consider the Ukrainians just another foreigner, they were both slavs and Romania was latin but I wonder how many Bulgarians would fight and die for Ukraine? And in the case of Russia, if in-game Ukraine becomes independent out of a civil war, nazi victory and creation of a puppet state, do you think the Russians would be happy living in that state? Last time there was an independent Ukraine they fought each other, the Ukrainian SSR was a USSR puppet so you cannot compare it with USSR because the Russians in Ukrainian USSR lived in 'Russia' not in 'Ukraine'.
Why don't give Ukraine a claim in Southern Bessarabia (or all of Bessarabia) instead of a core?

Status
Not open for further replies.