• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Bug river has been a major issue, but the defences are finally crumbling. With that kessel being the end of the Soviet Dnieper front, a breakthrough may at long last be possible.
Wait, they have another 4 large Mechanised armies with a ton of armoured divisions and mobile units? Bloody hell. And with less than 250 manpower in reserve you cannot sustain this for much longer. Is the end of the stream of Soviet divisions in sight, allowing you to finally advance properly, or do you expect yet more armies to be thrown in your way?

Yeah... I kind of fucked myself when I rebuilt the Soviet army during the winter. I think there's at least 40 motorised and T-34 armored divisions. This plus the large amount of BT-7 divisions that were already part of the Red Army. They are at rock bottom for manpower, but they have like 20 some-odd infantry divisions being made. I also will probably activate more manpower events. Can't have a Soviet Army without countless millions of men after all. :D

Yeah... I kind of fucked myself when I rebuilt the Soviet army during the winter. I think there's at least 40 motorised and T-34 armored divisions. This plus the large amount of BT-7 divisions that were already part of the Red Army. They are at rock bottom for manpower, but they have like 20 some-odd infantry divisions being made. I also will probably activate more manpower events. Can't have a Soviet Army without countless millions of men after all. :D

I won't stop you. But let me remind you of one thing.

You had 1800 manpower when this began. Now you have 250. Your army cannot keep this up much longer. That said it will surely be interesting to see what happens if the Soviets get more manpower again and you run dry ^^.

I won't stop you. But let me remind you of one thing.

You had 1800 manpower when this began. Now you have 250. Your army cannot keep this up much longer. That said it will surely be interesting to see what happens if the Soviets get more manpower again and you run dry ^^.

Wait I had 1800? No I couldn't have lost that mu- ohhh shit, well then. Gott Mitt Uns

hope you catch a lot of Soviets in that cauldron you are creating, otherwise, your higher casualties would mean that RL might get repeated in this AAR... do you have an estimation of the forces trapped?

hope you catch a lot of Soviets in that cauldron you are creating, otherwise, your higher casualties would mean that RL might get repeated in this AAR... do you have an estimation of the forces trapped?

We appear to be trapping 27 divisions, nearly the entire strength of the Red Army's Dnieper Front. Only two motorized divisions, thirty thousand men, and two armored divisions, twenty thousand haven't been encircled. This adds up to around three hundred and fifty thousand men

Voroshilov's Last Stand

The pincers met at Snihurivka on July 22nd. From here the 1st and 2nd Panzerarmees began the second phase of the Operation: the crushing of the Zhashkiv pocket. An exhaustive effort is now being undertaken by Heeres Gruppe Sud to end all resistance in the pocket using the 1st and 2nd Panzerarmees, 3rd Armee, and the Yugoslavian and Romanian 1st Armees. While the noose is being tightened around the shattered remains of the Dnieper Front the 4th Armee, 10th Armee, and 16th Armee are to be deployed to the banks of the Dnieper River to defend the rear of the suppression forces. At the head of the doomed front is the famous, and famously incompetent, Marshal Kliment Voroshilov. One of Stalin's closest cronies, so unlike other leaders of failed fronts, he won't be forced to commit suicide. If he is captured however, it will be quite the bargaining chip when we force the USSR to accept our terms.

20160320192023_1.jpg
20160320204839_1.jpg

072.jpg

T-34s abandoned by crews because they ran out of fuel. Unknown location, Zhashkiv pocket July 1942

On the other hand, there is still stiff but futile resistance from the rapidly disintegrating 1st Mechanized Army. The Northern and Western flanks of the pocket are hotbeds of Russian defiance, and our screening troops have suffered atrocious casualties. The undermanned XXII Korps lost nearly 1000 soldiers at Uman, and they have been forced back across the Bug. To their right flank, the Yugoslavian IV Korps lost 7000 men in a disastrous attack on the fortified village of Lypnyazhka. On the Northern flank the 17th Mechanized Corps stubbornly refuses to let us keep Zhashkiv. With it's last scraps of ammunition and fuel the 28th Tankovy Division managed to push the 10th Sturm Division out of the town. Along the eastern corridor nearly 7000 of our men and 4000 of theirs were lost in the brutal battle of Cherkasy. The resources expended in these vain Western thrusts could be better used in a combine breakout through our thin corridor rather than fruitless attempts at making us bleed, but I won't drone on about the incompetence of the Soviet commanders. These little attacks are but death throes of a caged animal, with no fate other than death in it's future.

20160320193144_1.jpg
20160320191444_1.jpg
20160320204016_1.jpg

fall-german-army-1944-belarus-eastern-front-german-dead-soldiers.jpg

Su-76s of the 28th Tank Division advance through burned out Zhashkiv apartments past both German and Russian dead

In the Leningrad sector the 11th Armee and 9th Armee have launched a minor operation to force the Red Army out of Southern Karelia. Currently the Soviet forces in this area use a thin artery on Lake Ladoga's Southern shore to transport men and materials from Novgorod to Finland, so a succesful ousting would force them to use the undeveloped path through Northern Karelia. After a bloody 5 day fight for Ostinovets the 58th Korps led by the Grossdeutschland Division cut the road and sent their enemies packing. Now in the face of light resistance they've decided to push all the way up to the Mannerheim Line to make use of it to create a fortified perimeter and jumpoff point for future offensives back into Finland. Even with counterattacks to the right flank on the 28th's frontage the attack went smoothly, and our divisions were even able to cause disproportionate Russian casualties as they struggled to keep the road open.

20160320190437_1.jpg
20160320194418_1.jpg

It seems like every time OKH receives reports from OKN that the narrative changes. One day we win a battle and push the Brits back, another we are pushed back ourselves with heavy loss of life. The advantage has obviously been shifted in our favor however. With a strong perimeter around our bastion in Oslo and a noticeably weakening British Army, we can achieve victory, even if it may take many more weeks of hard fighting. The battles of Rena and Lillehammer show this, almost 5000 casualties for us and nearly 2000 for the tommies.

20160320192515_1.jpg
20160320204424_1.jpg

great news from the Eastern front, at least you've reached a new river line.... but Norway still worries me... you need to crush them quickly

Just caught up reading the whole thread. Really love the alternate routes you've been taking in the war. Look forward to future updates. :D

The Cherkassy pocket looks good, that is going to cost the enemy a lot of units again. Every time I keep wondering: Will this be the killing blow?

Entering Finland seems like a dangerous affair, just think of the eastern flank of such operation. Do you have any intel on how many Soviet Divisions are deployed in that area? If there aren't too many I could see a series of lightning attacks, including amphibious, throw their army in disarray. But if the army that crushed Finland earlier is still present Its going to be nasty.....

The Cherkassy pocket looks good, that is going to cost the enemy a lot of units again. Every time I keep wondering: Will this be the killing blow?

Entering Finland seems like a dangerous affair, just think of the eastern flank of such operation. Do you have any intel on how many Soviet Divisions are deployed in that area? If there aren't too many I could see a series of lightning attacks, including amphibious, throw their army in disarray. But if the army that crushed Finland earlier is still present Its going to be nasty.....

I've saved up some espionage points and scout the area, as well as done a number of flybys. They seem to have stripped it of troops, sending them somewhere South. Besides, this is going to be a very cautious slow creeping. If the 11th Armee hits any stiff resistance, they will just pull back to the Mannerheim line and defend the thin Karelian Isthmus.

So guys, now that the ball is rolling again and there is again a glimmer of hope for victory, where do I go from here? I was thinking about grabbing another mod, maybe Black Ice or HPP, and writing an AAR on a more global power. I still have plenty of time of course since I'm only in 1942, but what to do after I kill the Soviet Union? Do I continue the war, taking it overseas or throw in the towel after defeating the largest empire in history? Would love some feedback regarding these questions. Thanks.

Defeating the Soviets is obviously the main attraction of the game, even more so with this mod I think.
Would you be in a position to take on the British once the Soviets are out? Perhaps if you expanded the Luftwaffe into a veritable machine of doom you can launch an Unternehmen Seelöwe? If the Soviets are defeated and your army and airforce are still in fighting shape, you have the most powerful war machine on the planet and if Japan can keep them busy on the other side of the globe I don't see why Germany wouldn't attempt it. But its your call wether that is doable since I don't know the mod very well :)

Though another AAR on a global power would definetly be interesting too. Your call, really:)

I totally agree with Sebas

ErwinRommel7Pzr said:
T-34s abandoned by crews because they ran out of fuel. Unknown location, Zhashkiv pocket July 1942

Man oh man, is that armor...sloped. Great pic btw.

Quoting sebas here; "But if the army that crushed Finland earlier is still present Its going to be nasty" I'm wondering the very same thing. What is your plan behind the push towards Finland? Going for Viipiri and taking a defensive advantage of that river or are you in full-tilt-boogie-offensive-mode:D there and blitzing Finland?

ErwinRommel7Pzr said:
Btw, was it hard to learn the flags? For me it would be "plus" to see the Nato Counters but maybe if you post a pic/ledger of what each means? Not vital by any stretch but it "might be a small plus" for those like myself that don't know the mod's symbols. Just a thought

Great update. As the Brits would say; "What a bloody mess".

Quoting sebas here; "But if the army that crushed Finland earlier is still present Its going to be nasty" I'm wondering the very same thing. What is your plan behind the push towards Finland? Going for Viipiri and taking a defensive advantage of that river or are you in full-tilt-boogie-offensive-mode:D there and blitzing Finland?
Great update. As the Brits would say; "What a bloody mess".

Aye it is a bloody mess. I am doing the former. If the area looks open I may creep through and try to liberate my ally.

"Btw, was it hard to learn the flags? For me it would be "plus" to see the Nato Counters but maybe if you post a pic/ledger of what each means? Not vital by any stretch but it "might be a small plus" for those like myself that don't know the mod's symbols. Just a thought" I don't remember saying this, was this supposed to be you markkur? I think I may do a sort of key though/

Great AAR.
Keep the updates coming, these are great fun to read.

Trenchwarfare in Scandinavian mountains, as if Alpine front of WW1 was not bad enough...

yeah, I was wondering the logistical nightmare that must be for the British specially