• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Evacuation and Invasion

In a conference between Oberkommando des Heeres, Oberkommando der Marine, and the Finnish Defense Command it was decided that Finland must be evacuated. The hopeless situation was exacerbated by the urgings of peace by the Finnish civilian government. They did not want their city turned to rubble as had happened to so many cities and towns in this brutal war, a fair request, but rather awkward militarily. After repelling the first Soviet foray into the capital, the men of the LI. Jagerkorps fell back in good order to the harbor throughout the day and night. As the Finns warded off any Soviet incursions our pioneers set up roadblocks throughout the city to buy as much time as possible. The heavy guns of the Kriegsmarine battle fleet kept up their fire in a bombardment that the bravest man wouldn't dare to move through. This effective screen allowed our four divisions and the Finnish 3rd and 8th Divisions to be ferried across the Gulf of Finland to Tallinn and Leningrad.

2016-02-14_00026.jpg

2016-02-14_00027.jpg
15.jpg
The Senate Square during a night bombardment by Bolshevik artillery

28th of June, a full day after the evacuation was completed, the Soviets finally occupied the entire capital and forced the Finns to capitulate. Of course the entire Finnish Army and most of the High Command escaped to Leningrad to continue the fight. In truth the Soviets only made it easier on the Heer, as Heeres Gruppe Nord can now concentrate more troops around Leningrad to repel any attackers. While the Soviets free up a number of divisions for use elsewhere, they now have to contend with the occupation of a nation that hates them substantially and will most likely lash out with violence. However, the party that by far benefits the most are the Jagers and Gebirgsjagers, who suffered through a month of hell and loss. They saw two entire divisions of their kameraden destroyed, with the fresh memory of the Gebirgskorps being surrounded and annihilated in March, and the SS-Division Nord before that. In the past year seven divisions have been completely wiped out in Finland by the Red Army, seven good divisions too many.

2016-03-08_00008.jpg

As the 51st Jagerorps was getting out of dodge, the 14. Gebirgsarmee was opening a new front. The long awaited Operation Crusader began on June 25th, with the XL. Panzerkorps crossing the Bulgarian-Turkish border and racing to Istanbul and the Bosphorus straight. Following that the Italian Alpine Corpo quick marched with the Romanian Alpine Corpo behind them. On their right flank 130 thousand Bulgarians of the 1st and 2nd Armees swarmed across the border into Northern Turkey with the goal of reaching the Dardanelles Straight.

2016-02-14_00025.jpg

On June 27th the 40th Panzerkorps under Rommel reached the coast and captured the Western half of Istanbul almost without a fight. Within eight hours General Student's 1st Fallschirmkorps captured the Eastern side of the Bosphorus and opened a path for the XL. Panzerkorps to advance on the Turkish capital Ankara. In fact, there was barely a delay when it came to crossing the straights, a number of barges were commandeered and immediately set to moving men and equipment across. This operation was personally directed by General Rommel himself, and it's reported that he stood on the Eastern bank and greeted his men as they landed to their astonishment. As far as the big picture for this operation, everything points to this being a quick, bloodless campaign. The Turkish army, especially the officers, are largely pro-axis. The General Staff especially is extremely pro-German, being made up of veterans of the Great War in which they were of course our allies. The divisions we've engaged so far have merely skirmished and then retreated into the hills. If progress keeps up our panzers will be in Baghdad by the end of July.

2016-03-08_00002.jpg
2016-03-08_00006.jpg
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-300-1865-08_Frankreich_Rommel_bei_21._Pz.Div_..jpg

General der Panzertruppe Erwin Rommel inspecting the 16th Motorised Division just before Operation Crusade

In response to Admiral Saawachter's request for reinforcements in Norway for his counter-offensive, OKW has decided to release General Wodrig's XIIth Korps from France and ship it North by train. On July 1st, the 4 veteran divisions of this korps loaded onto transports and set sail for Oslo. Their presence should greatly help the efforts to push the Tommies out of Scandinavia. Once they are arrived the 12. Armee will be one of the largest in the Heer, 3 full korps of regular truppen, as well a 4th made up of sicherungs "security" truppen.

2016-03-08_00001.jpg
2016-03-08_00009.jpg

Meanwhile around Oslo itself a maelstrom is forming, with a 360 degree breakout being executed by the 50th and 54th Armeekorps, supported by the 44th Reserve Korps. The British seemed to be shocked, and are hightailing back North like rabbits from a fox. Especially surprised by the appearance of the 12th Korps, they seem worried that an easy campaign could turn into a bloody nightmare. Admiral Marschall is now endeavoring to turn it into just that, a slow bleeding battle of attrition to keep the British from committing troops elsewhere. If he succeeds in this, that means France can be further stripped of troops to be sent east, leaving only the bare minimum for fighting off raids and the French underground.

2016-03-08_00007.jpg
20160308203257_1.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-03-08_00004.jpg
    2016-03-08_00004.jpg
    442,9 KB · Views: 33
once Norway is safe you can then send at least two korps to the East... besides, those troops now in Turkey will help a lot in the Caucasus, the only thing that worries me is that now you need at least 5-10 Sicherungs-Divisionen to keep Turks insurgents at bay

once Norway is safe you can then send at least two korps to the East... besides, those troops now in Turkey will help a lot in the Caucasus, the only thing that worries me is that now you need at least 5-10 Sicherungs-Divisionen to keep Turks insurgents at bay

Actually, I won't, I am merely going to overthrow their government and replace it with a pro-German one.

then dont destroy their Army... puh them back without actually wipping them out, so they would have divisions ready to help you... I know doing so goes against everything Rommel and the Panzertruppen believe

then dont destroy their Army... puh them back without actually wipping them out, so they would have divisions ready to help you... I know doing so goes against everything Rommel and the Panzertruppen believe

Rommel's korps is doing precisely that. The sheer size and ability of the of the invading force is making the invasion a walk through the park. As far as the Turkish troops, they only have around 40-50k men without support brigades, so they will most likely be relegated to anti-partisan duty.

Finland needed to be evacuated, good work saving the remaining forces. the Leningrad sector looks promising, maybe you can destabilise their lines there. Norway is the useual mess of rebels, but at least it is Norway and not France.
I hope Crusader will secure the Middle East and destabilise the Soviet lines as they are hit from the south, at least it should draw a bunch of Soviet divisions into the harsh mountains of the Caucasus where they can't do as much harm as on the main front.

Reactions:
Finland needed to be evacuated, good work saving the remaining forces. the Leningrad sector looks promising, maybe you can destabilise their lines there. Norway is the useual mess of rebels, but at least it is Norway and not France.
I hope Crusader will secure the Middle East and destabilise the Soviet lines as they are hit from the south, at least it should draw a bunch of Soviet divisions into the harsh mountains of the Caucasus where they can't do as much harm as on the main front.

Exactly, Crusader is a low risk/high reward operation, the XL. Panzerkorps is able to circumvent the Suez and it's British defenders and attack them from the rear. With the capture of Iraqi oil and the pacification of the British Middle East, the Italian forces in Africa and Greece can then be brought to bear against the Soviets. You add this to the 14th Gebirgsarmee pushing into the Caucasus and cutting off the Soviet Industry from it's lifeblood of the oil fields at Baku and Maikop. This offensive could very well be a game changer and even war-winner for the Ostfront.

i really hope you are not expecting more than possible from this operation... the future of Europe and the World lies in just the 14. Gebirgsarmee

i really hope you are not expecting more than possible from this operation... the future of Europe and the World lies in just the 14. Gebirgsarmee
Those two statements are very much contradictory fine sir. How key do you think this operation is?

very much... if you fail to distract enough Soviet troops from the Front, then you won't advance towards Moscow... and I don't think that those Gebirgsjäger could whistand the might of a Soviet infantry army... so there is a risk of opening a gate through where the Soviets could enter Europe... Call me pessimist, but I tend to hope the better and be ready for the worst

very much... if you fail to distract enough Soviet troops from the Front, then you won't advance towards Moscow... and I don't think that those Gebirgsjäger could whistand the might of a Soviet infantry army... so there is a risk of opening a gate through where the Soviets could enter Europe... Call me pessimist, but I tend to hope the better and be ready for the worst

We shall see about that my friend, next few updates, we shall see...:rolleyes:

Army Group South Order of Battle July 1942

Heeres Gruppe Sud A (600k men)

LVI Armeekorps
162nd Infanterie Division
SS-Totenkopf Division
10th Infanterie Division​
XVI Armeekorps
50th Infanterie Division
52nd Infanterie Division
56th Infanterie Division​
XXII. Armeekorps
44th Infanterie Division
45th Infanterie Division
83rd Infanterie Division​

III Panzerkorps
29th Motorised Division
1st Panzer Division
2nd Panzer Division​
XXIV Panzerkorps
60th Motorised Division
3rd Panzer Division
4th Panzer Division​
X Motorkorps
10th Motorised Division
25th Motorised Division​

II Armeekorps
12th Infanterie Division
32nd Infanterie Division
2nd Sturm Division
64th Infanterie Division​
XXVIII Armeekorps
98th Infanterie Divison
143rd Infanterie Division
Polizei Division​
XV Armeekorps
71st Infanterie Division
72nd Infanterie Division
46th Infanterie Division​

VII Armeekorps
17th Infanterie Division
164th Infanterie Division
107th Infanterie Division​
XIII Armeekorps
3rd Infanterie Division
23rd Infanterie Division
7th Infanterie Division
5th Sturm Division​

Heeres Gruppe Sud B (580k men)
LVI Armeekorps
5th Infanterie Division
81st Infanterie Division
84th Infanterie Division​
LVII Armeekorps
18th Infanterie Division
93rd Infanterie Division
96th Infanterie Division​

XXII Panzerkorps
20th Motorised Division
6th Panzer Division
5th Panzer Division​
XXV Panzerkorps
10th Panzer Division
7th Panzer Division​
XXVI Motorkorps
6th Motorised Division
36th Motorised Division​

XXI Armeekorps
86th Infanterie Division
87th Infanterie Division
88th Infanterie Division​
LVIII Armeekorps
8th Infanterie Division
28th Infanterie Division​
XLVIII Armeekorps
164th Infanterie Division
170th Infanterie Division
181st Infanterie Division​

IV Jugoslaw Korps
40th Jugoslaw Division
3rd Jugoslaw Division
32nd Jugoslaw Division
13th Jugoslaw Division​
III Jugoslaw Korps
38th Jugoslaw Division
Yugoslaw Guard Division
31st Jugoslaw Division​
II Jugoslaw Korps
12th Jugoslaw Division
33rd Jugoslaw Division
1st Jugoslaw Division
27th Jugoslaw Division​

I Rumanien Corpo
13th Rumanien Division
10th Rumanien Division
1st Rumanien Division
6th Rumanien Division​
II Rumanien Corpo
1st Granicieri Division
12th Rumanien Division
15th Rumanien Division
1st Rumanien Armored Division​
III Rumanien Corpo
17th Rumanien Division
7th Rumanien Division
5th Rumanien Division​

1st Fliegerkorps (3 fighter wings)
2nd Stukageschwader (1 fighter wing, 3 Stuka wings)
4th Stukageschwader (3 fighter wings)
6th Fliegerkorps (1 fighter wings, 3 tac-bomber wings)​

Field Marshall Erich von Manstein, Supreme Commander of Army Group South, prior to the initiation of Operation Tatar:

Truppen and luftruppen of Heeres Gruppe Sud A and B, you are about to take part in the most important operation of your lives. It is our armees that have captured the least objectives of any other gruppe. We have failed in the mission of capturing the Ukrainian industry, and as a result let our army down. However, in the past year we've killed or captured more enemy soldiers than any army in history, taken more Russian land than Napoleon ever dreamed of. We have all but annihilated a fighting a force threefold our own number. The "glorious" Red Army that bullied Finland and the Baltic republics is but a shadow of it's former self. It's men buried in mass graves in Belarus and Ukraine, it's tanks left burning along the roads to Moscow. The Red Army Air Force has seen it's planes shot down like flies in Romania and the Pripyet Marshes, meanwhile the Red Banner Fleet collects rust along the Baltic sea floor. Our glorious Heer camps on Russian land, our indomitable Luftwaffe bombs Russian land at will, the mighty Kriegsmarine has made the Baltic into a German lake. All that is holding up the rotten structure of the USSR is the Caucasian oil that fuels their war industry and the hordes of conscripted swine that swell the ranks of the rabble Stalin calls an army. It is these foundations that we will shake in our campaign. Our forces will strike our adversaries with righteous fury bestowed by the Valkryies themselves. In the course of the coming operation Heeres Gruppe Sud will take everything the Russian people hold dear and crush it before them. In this decisive campaign we will bring glory to our fatherland and our people. The eyes of the world are upon you mein kameraden, viel glück, und gott mitt uns!

Last edited:
Well over a million strong they will slam into the soviet ranks. Normally i would say thats enough to deal a killing blow even to the soviet union, but this war has been tougher than anything i ever saw. Still it; s a very formidable force that should be able to cause severe damage to the soviets, i only hope it will be enough.

Well over a million strong they will slam into the soviet ranks. Normally i would say thats enough to deal a killing blow even to the soviet union, but this war has been tougher than anything i ever saw. Still it; s a very formidable force that should be able to cause severe damage to the soviets, i only hope it will be enough.

It doesn't need to be a killing blow, all we have to do is knock out a few hundred thousand Soviets and destabilize the front.

H-hour Operation Tatar

20160308213636_1.jpg

The time has come, as of 0600 hours on July 5th, the great summer campaign has been commenced. The operation was planned to start on the 20th to give time for the 16th Armee (14th Armee on the map) to be organized in South B's sector. However, a large attack on 3rd Armee lines at Zhashkiv by elements of the Soviet 1st Mechanized Army and 2nd Armee has prompted Feldmarschall Manstein to accelerate the schedule by two weeks. He judged the forces in his disposal adequate for the task at hand and as a result ordered an immediate kickoff of the long awaited offensive.

20160308210630_1.jpg

c4c0807e9e1504c7c5fb4fd550be6c40.jpg

Panzer IIIs and IVs of Panzer Regiment 4 lined up in their starting positions

In the waning dawn hours the 1st and 2nd Panzerarmees immediately set about moving their machines into starting positions. Simultaneously, the 1st Romanian and 1st Yugoslavian Armees launched diversionary raids across the Dniester with the hopes of drawing Soviet forces North and West away from the intended points of attack. Immediately upon hearing authorization from HGS headquarters the air crews of Luftflotte I began fueling their Ju-87s and Bf-109s for immediate ground support operations. As the clock struck 6 over one million men resumed their advance into the Soviet Union. After a cold but uneventful winter and a relatively calm spring, the well rested, enthusiastic landsers of the Southern Army Groups are ready to continue their march onward.

20160308222324_1.jpg
20160308221501_1.jpg

After 2 days of combat forming the opening for Unternehmen Tatar, German forces have already gained the upper hand. On the Northern attack axis the battles of Obukhiv and Liezna have resulted in over 2000 Bolshevik casualties and 1600 of our own. The Northern pincer, consisting of the 4th Armee and 1st Panzerarmee, and supported by the 3rd Armee are already making gains, having smashed the unprepared Red Army divisions unfortunate enough to be in front of them. The Southern arm is having more difficulty
per contra, the 10th Armee and 2nd Panzerarmee have to cross the Dniester river to get at their enemies. Despite gaining a foothold, a large scale counter raid across the river nearly forced Guderian to abandon his bridgehead. With trademark calm the General redirected his panzers to act as stationary artillery, sinking a number of Russian boats through precise aiming and elite gunnery. Due to this violent disruption, the cross river lodgement stayed as such. In fact, the only thing keeping the bridgehead alive is the accurate and constant CAS bombing of the 4th Stukageschwader (Stuka Air Group). All the fighters across the river need to do is hold until a pontoon bridge can be built, opening the way for the panzers to be brought across and then onto their objectives.

20160308220855_1.jpg

main_900.jpg

Men of A Co/I Bn/35 IR/12 ID fighting for the village of Obukhiv

While Army Group South executes it's double envelopment in the Ukrainian Steppe, Army Group Southeast is breaking open Anatolia. Rommel's 40th Panzerkorps has crossed the Bosphorus straight and covered more than 700 kilometers in less than a fortnight and reached the Turkish capital Ankara almost without a scratch. A remarkable feat for even a motorised force, especially when one considers the hilly and mountainous terrain inherent to the region. By all estimations our men should be in the capital and have our government in place within two days, and after that on to Irak.

20160308203712_1.jpg
20160308222523_1.jpg

On the home front, our industry and research departments are hard at work providing front line soldiers with the newest equipment. Within a week and a half a new fighter wing and four new infantry divisions will be deployed to the front lines. The fighter wing to replace those lost in the west and the divisions to act as reserves for Tatar. There is also a reconstitution effort happening for the Leibstandarte division, reinforcing and expanding it into a panzergrenadier division after the mauling it received at Krasnyy. Finally, the armaments ministry has introduced a new panzer model from Henschel, the Panzer VI "Tiger". Equipped with an 88 mm cannon similar to those used as AA/AT, and armored to the teeth, this beast should give us a powerful new weapon against our foes.

20160308205604_1.jpg
20160308204440_1.jpg

Last edited:
Operation Tartar looks good so far and Turkey is about to fall. Hopefully the operation will net the result we all expect of it :p

great! the operation has begun smoothly... luckily it will catch at least half a million Soviet troops... btw, I think the Leibstandarte is being reformed as a motorized division rather than as a mechanized one

great! the operation has begun smoothly... luckily it will catch at least half a million Soviet troops... btw, I think the Leibstandarte is being reformed as a motorized division rather than as a mechanized one

They went from a reinforced brigade to a motorized division in June/July of 1941, and then bumped up to mechanized in July/August of 1942 both in-game and historically.