• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I got away from that restriction in my current Turkey AAR by having five separate wars done before 1939! But yes, prewar time can drag and you may not have such flexible options (more like compulsions for Turkey) playing as Germany. If you prefer combat writing, maybe just a single 'intro chapter' to describe your broad production, tech and diplomatic (if applicable) approach from 1936-39, and start with mobilisation and the initial plan for war?

Should I even bother showing prewar events? I know I feel much more at home writing about combat, 3 1/2 years of nothing would be kind of boring about to write and read about

Then again the buildup to a present situation is a bit needed IMO. I really can't stand jumps like "OH, and now Germany has 150 divisions of various types for various reasons etc. etc.". I really like to know what happened, how and why, not just a dry TO&E list.

Don't follow history. I use DWI also, in my current game for enjoyment-game, started my invasion of Poland in the first year. ^_^ Don't hold back!

Well, its been more than half a year since I last posted. I would like to inform you all that I ended my campaign after a grueling battle for Moscow. The whole process of screenshots and writing had become a bit tedious, and the game itself was getting a bit stale.

However, I am now considering doing a new AAR, with even better writing and effort. It would be another German AAR, as that is the nation and army I am most familiar with. I am not sure of what exactly I want to use as a basis for my AAR however. Should I stick to HoI3 and it's beautiful counters, using the WW2 Immersion mod and DdH submod, or should I use HoI4 and its modern/clean look with one of it's myriad mods?

Neither. Play HPP, youll get the prettiness and the extra immersion stuff you desire, plus a plethora of immersive mechanics. Plus it will be much easier for us all to read, considering you had to give a tutorial for you AAR's counters.