• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Smaller gains but Finland breaks

With the greatest strategical positions won in the European parts of Sovjet, it became more and more clear that Sovjet was slowly falling apart. The main reason for this was the three front war fought until now. Another good news to the Dutch were that they were getting ready to move into Finnland to neutralise the Sovjet puppet.

On the 28th of September all the troops positioned in Leningrad were ordered to seize Viipuri, the heavily fortified area north of Leningrad, were the Finns had so bravely held the Sovjet army out for many months some years ago. 13 allied divisions attacked from Leningrad and faced 3 Sovjet divisions. It was soon realised that it would have been wise to wait for more backup, cause the troops were faced with extreme difficulties moving forward. Sovjet had three battered divisions at Viipuri, but they had the advantage of rain, woods, rivers and fortifications. More and more troops arrived at Leningrad though and contributed in the attack as they continued to move forward. At the most 21 divisions took part in the attack at the same time. The Sovjet defenders with their excelent armor made a valiant effort in holding the huge army coming down on them of, but after a while they were beginning to take serious damage and had to abandon several positions. When many of the vital Sovjet positions had been overrun, they fled north for new defensive lines and the Dutch could move forward to secure the area. The aftermath of the battle was horrible. Most of the allied divisions were now so tired and out of supplies they could hardly fire a bullet. Still the Dutch command wanted them to move forward again. This could not be done though, and the troops were given a week to rest. The good news was that they could finaly move into Finland to neutralise them.

screensave729rm9.png

Later on the 2nd of October the Dutch marines attacked Rovaniemi. Though they were outnumbered by the troops from Finland in the area, they had the support of the airforce. the marines sent several volleys of artillery fire on the Finn positions and then moved forward. It was three Dutch divisions versus five Finn divisions. It was clear to the Dutch this would be very difficult and they would probably loose if they attacked unaided. A few hours after the battle started, the Dutch airforce arrived to deliver their bombs on the Finn defenders. Though the Finns had early success in the battle, the bombardment seriously crippled their defensive capability, and after 6 hours of bombardment, several positions had been abandoned. The Dutch marines moved forward with the Zwarte Duivels as a spearhead. 10% of the Dutch fighting force had been destroyed by the first day of battle. The next day emerged with fierce fighting and all the areas at Rovaniemi, then the airforce arrived again and after 6 more hours of bombardment the Finns withdrew their forces south. The battle against superiour amounts of troops had been won, and once again the Dutch airforce had proven to be the vital contributor to victory.

screensave730vd9.png

On the 3rd a battle was fought in the deep woods at Cheboksary. 9 Dutch divisions attacked 2 defending Sovjet divisions and won easily.

screensave731mh0.png

The next day, 6 divisions attacked Voroshilovsk. They were facing 4 Sovjet divisions in very good positions. After a few hours the attack was called off because of heavy damage to the divisions and low posibility to win.

screensave732gh7.png

On the 5th of October, 3 Dutch divisions attacked Syzran. The French general Charles de Gaulle moved forward with his combined armygroup and smashed into the advancing Sovjet divison that had recently taken Syzran back for Sovjet. The heavy armor were not fighting in ideal conditions, but they were more then capable of dealing with the Sovjet infantry though. Syzran were soon back in Dutch hands.

screensave733do7.png

Also on the 5th, a battle was fought in Kostroma, 6 divisions attacked 2 defending Sovjet divisions. The battle did not last long and the result was victory.

screensave734fp4.png

On the the same day, the battle of Molotovsk started. It turned out to be a great Dutch victory. 16 allied divisions attacked 3 Sovjet armored divisions. It was very difficult to fight against the great Sovjet armor bit the allies had far more troops to use and after 12 hours the Sovjet troops fled the area.

screensave735cz8.png

The last battle on the 5th of October were at Segezha. The swampy area were defended by 2 Sovjet divisions while the allied under Dutch command had 12 divisons participating in the attack. They had all been informed that it was vital that they won this battle as it would mean a isolation of Finland and Kola from the rest of Sovjet. The battle did not last long because of great force being used by the Dutch and the main objective of the battle was realised. They had cut off all supplies to the enemy in northwest.

screensave736dq7.png

On the 7th of october, the allied troops moved on Helsinki. 12 allied divisions attacked and won at Helsinki were disillusioned Finn troops soon withdrew.

screensave737ct9.png

On the 10th of October, 20 divisions attacked Sortavala, were only 2 Sovjet divisions tried to hold the line. They were without a chance.

screensave738tn3.png

Aren't you suffering from winter yet? Especially when fighting up north?

Finns have hard resistance, but it doesn't seem to be enough to stop the Dutch warmachine.

Murmurandus said:
Aren't you suffering from winter yet? Especially when fighting up north?

Not yet, but it is coming in the next update.

Olaus Petrus said:
Finns have hard resistance, but it doesn't seem to be enough to stop the Dutch warmachine.

Certainly not. Constant allied strategical bombardment have decimated their IC, and my tactical bombardment have decimated their troops making them easy prey for hordes of soldiers flowing into their country.

badvoice said:
Certainly not. Constant allied strategical bombardment have decimated their IC, and my tactical bombardment have decimated their troops making them easy prey for hordes of soldiers flowing into their country.

At least they fight heroically.

Are you going to release Finland after you have conquered it?

General Jac said:
Are you going to release Finland after you have conquered it?

oh yes i will, i would feel pretty rotten if i did not release them, i do actually like finns personally. The only time i have not liked this game was now when i have to fight the finns. I must annex them first though. Since they are in the commiterm, they will never accept peace.

Oh, and about they fighting heroicly, certainly, the AI has been tather good on them.

Just been reading into your AAR these last days and want to congratulate you on doing an amazing job! The Netherlands taking a leaders role in WWII is well, beyond words.. Taking on Japan and the European Axis and the Soviets after that! With allmost no help up to now.. Great job!

You will be getting the Willemsorde for this, you know!

Well i've read this straight through and it was very enjoyable so far. At the very start i must confess to thinking that it was a really silly idea abandoning your home and moving to Java but you've proved me completely wrong.

P.S. knackered is an English word meaning exhausted and i think it comes from the fact that old horses were sent to the knackers yard to get turned into glue etc.

HoldSteady said:
Just been reading into your AAR these last days and want to congratulate you on doing an amazing job! The Netherlands taking a leaders role in WWII is well, beyond words.. Taking on Japan and the European Axis and the Soviets after that! With allmost no help up to now.. Great job!

You will be getting the Willemsorde for this, you know!

Thank you so much. It has been exciting so far. Nice with the Willemsorde of course.

Caligo said:
Well i've read this straight through and it was very enjoyable so far. At the very start i must confess to thinking that it was a really silly idea abandoning your home and moving to Java but you've proved me completely wrong.

P.S. knackered is an English word meaning exhausted and i think it comes from the fact that old horses were sent to the knackers yard to get turned into glue etc.

Thank you. As i have said earlier, i gave away my lands because the axis were crippled by my fortifications when i tried that. To have some more historically correct path until my return i had to abaondon the areas. Germany just sat still and it became another trench warfare from 40 to 42, when the allies won.

Good to know the correct meaning of knackered. It is a great word, and that british friand of mine were telling me that english has a word for anything, even words i thought there couldnt be a word for. Good fun.

badvoice said:
oh yes i will, i would feel pretty rotten if i did not release them, i do actually like finns personally. The only time i have not liked this game was now when i have to fight the finns. I must annex them first though. Since they are in the commiterm, they will never accept peace.

Oh, and about they fighting heroicly, certainly, the AI has been tather good on them.

Then you should "compensate" them a little for Stalinist oppression, by giving them all of Karelia (the Russian land to the east) when you release them.

Or even better. Create Scandinavia!

Finland falls

On the 13th of October, the battle for Tampere were fought. 11 allied divisions attacked the Finn defenders. It was an very uneven battle, where the allies outnumbered the Finns by 6-1. Still the Finns fought well, even with their outdated equipment. After several hours, the humanwave like attack from the allies managed to break through the defensive lines, and the Finns were forced to retreat.

screensave739qp5.png

On the far eastern front, an imortant battle was fought at Melekess. 9 Dutch divisions attacked an realised one of the most prominent Sovjet army commanders were in charge of the defense. Field Marshall Rokossovsky led the Sovjet troops. The main target for the Dutch troops were Naberezhny Chelny, the new capitol of Sovjet. Rokossovsky did not have the means to stop the Dutch advance and withdrew to better positions.

screensave740sv6.png

On the 18th of October another battle was fought at Rovaniemi. The Dutch marines had to fight in new climates now. There were heavy snow falling and the temperature were freezing. Still with the difficuties coming on, the Dutch managed to win with the great help coming from above. The Dutch airforce performed even in these harsh weathers, and thanks to them the Finn defenders withdrew.

screensave741cw6.png

On the 19th an battle was fought at Kotlas. The weather had really changed all over the northern parts of Sovjet. Winter was coming and heavy snows made movement increasingly difficult. Still when 19 divisions attacked Kotlas, only defended by 2 Sovjet divisions, the allies managed to win and could move forward again.

screensave742ei5.png

On the 20th, Arkangelsk was attacked by 15 divisions. The Sovjet defenders were not capable of holding their lines and retreated.

screensave743yc8.png

Also on the 20th, allied troops won in Seinajokki.

screensave744li2.png

On the 25th of October, a huge battle was fought at Voroshilovsk. The Sovjet position there had long frustrated the Dutch leaders. And finally the strength to finally win there had been reached with allied help. 17 allied divisions attacked the 4 defending Sovjet divisions. The battle lasted for more then a day, when the Sovjet defenders had used all of their ammunition. Then the battle continued for a little while with hand to hand battle. The allies won in the end.

screensave745fp7.png

On the 26th, 14 allied divisions attacked Kem and won.

screensave746jl0.png

There were news of an coming Persian offensive. USA, UK and Persia had bult up forces in southern Persia for some time, and around 100 divisions were getting ready to move out of the few areas they controled and force Sovjet North.

screensave747lc2.png

On the 1st of November, Finland surrendered to Netherlands. Netherlands promised them full control of their lands once Sovjet was out of Kola. The only demand was to replace the Sovjet friendly government with a democratic gevernment.

On the same day, a battle was fought at Kajaani. Sovjet troops were holding on the the Finn area. 8 allied divisions came on hard to rout the Sovjet defenders and they did so with great success.

screensave748sa6.png

So, I guess you're preparing for a long and cold winter in Russia... ;)

Good Finland is free once more! :) Btw I see you own Narvik, it was probably wise to keep that province, even though you would still get supplied if you hand it back to Norway(atleast in DD that is).

Finland surrendered rather easily, but it's interesting to see how the Russian winter goes.

BTW it's Seinäjoki not Seinajokki. :)

and Imageshack has lost one of the pics.