• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
King Yngvar said:
My inflation is around 20% and my BB has the same number :wacko:

I don’t know if my advice is going to be much help because I normally play a far more conservative game as a one province minor. I usually take only one or two provinces in the first twenty years.

What settings are you playing with? Hard or Very Hard? If you're playing on Very Hard you're in a lot of trouble! :eek: :D

Cut your army down to whatever is the minimum you feel comfortable with. It looks like you might be the Bad Boy on the block so this might be a problem. I’d also probably hang on to my navy since it’s my first line of defense. Obviously 50% maintenance when at peace is a must.

20% inflation isn’t too bad. Since you have your treasury at 80% already I’d go ahead and put it at 100%. Not much difference in the inflation rate and you max your treasury income. Then get tax collectors in all your provinces. After that lower your treasury income near to 0.

With a BB of 20 it would be a good idea to think twice about conquering any more provinces right now. Of course there are those who seem to be able to wage war under any conditions but I’m not one of them. I know I’m a coward but I’m a live one. :D

As I said earlier getting into the right alliance can make your game a hell of a lot easier. Scotland and England probably hate you which is too bad since they make the most sense. If Englad is DOW every five years then someone of the continent to distract them would help. France maybe?

One last thing. Giving up a province to end a war isn’t always a bad move. It lowers your BB and since most of your provinces are poor it won’t drastically hurt your income. Giving up a couple of provinces with no tax collectors and maybe even no fortifications (don't want to waste money upgrading them just to give them away) might give you a chance of conquering a COT without changing your BB. You can always conquer them again later in the game. I like the ebb and flow type of game but not everyone does. Some feel they have to hold on to every thing they conquer.
;)

Joe

I, too, tend to play a conservative game. However, you are doing very well and have a big lake to protect you. The inflation is an irritation at this point but nothing more. I think you should grab a COT and enjoy the cash flow...

Nice AAR!

Sounds like plenty of advise and all of well articulated. It's probably best to take anything I say with a grain of salt, because of what Storey said, "Some feel they have to hold on to every thing they conquer." That's me, maybe it's some of cause for me always being broke. :rolleyes:

I would advise grabbing that CoT and then sitting tight for several decades.

Some feel they have to hold on to every thing they conquer.

I am one of those, if I loose a province I see it as the beginning of the end.
If you could put my playing style in a text file like the AI, it would probably say, Warmonger: 100%, Feriociy: Yes. I will not hand over a province even if the enemy hold it for a century.

About grabbing Gotland, it would have to wait a little, now I will have to defend my eastern holdings.

The last years of Hvamm-Sturla Thordarsson

The Principality of Novgorod declared war upon Iceland in the year of 1175. Novgorod's allies in Vladimir came to their aid and the war had begun. The armies of Novgorod were already pushing into Finland, defeating the Norwegians and sacking the towns like wild savages wherever they went. Their declaration of war against the Republic of Iceland brought armies of Vladimir and Novgorod into Iceland's only holding in the east, Ingermannland. Thorvardr was overwhelmed when 20,000 Russian troops attacked in late January. Thorvardr spoke to his men, counting not much more than a thousand, as the enemy aproached. "The odds do not favour us in this battle, and it is most likely that we all die on this field. But we shall not retreat, for there is no retreat. Hold the ground brave warriors and fight with all your heart, let us go forth into battle now, and die with honor!".

When the Russians approached on the field of battle, they were met by the most fierce group of warriors ever seen for a long time. The Icelanders fought with bravery, holding the ground from sunrise to sunset until the last man had fallen. The Vladimiran general, Oleg, was impressed by their courage, and his army of 14,000 men had been reduced to the half before he had won, the Novgorian army was reduced to one thousand men.

Only one man had survived, he had been laying unconcious on the field for days until he finally woke up and saw all the dead bodies laying around him. He managed to get into a boat and row his way to Sigtuna and ride to Bjørgvin, where he sailed back to Iceland. When the Law-Speaker, Sturla, finally heard of this he was outraged. 5,000 men were recruited in Iceland and 4,000 in Ireland, they were sent to war.

One year after the Battle of Narva, on the 11th of January, 1176, the Icelandic warriors arrived on the shores of Ingermannland. The Russians were shaken when they saw the 100 longships approaching. With full rage, eight thousand warriors unloaded on the beaches and stormed towards the Russian army. Oleg and his men did not stand a chance, and they were slaughtered. After they surrendered, each one lost their heads, only the general was left to survive, lacking one eye, one ear, one arm and one leg when he returned to his lord.

The land was retaken, and it was time to enter the war with full rage. While the navy went west to defeat several Saxonian navies in the Sea of Skagerakk, the army marched into Nyland, Tavastland, Österbotten and finally Gästrikland where they joined King Magnus Erlingsson and defeated a Novgorian army of nearly ten thousand men that were pushing towards the heart of Norway. Magnus Erlingsson was greatful for the help, but there was no time to celebrate, more had to be done in this war. The Norwegian king attacked the northern Novgorian posessions of Kola and Karelia, while the Icelandic army moved towards Savolaks, Kexholm and Olonets, meeting no resistance from Novgorod. The Novgorian army had meanwhile captured Ingermannland, but the Icelanders was determined to attack undefended Arkhangelsk to force Vladimir out of the war. The land was captured and pillaged to the ground, in fear of further attacks, Vladimir signed a peace with Iceland in October. The Icelandic army arrived in Ingermannland on the 15th December, ready to battle the Novgorians. But when the Novgorian officers met with the Icelandic ones to negotiate, the Russians decided to offer peace. They would hand back Ingermannland to Iceland, if Iceland gave back Savolaks and Kexholm to Novgorod, Iceland would keep Olonets and recieve 100,000 sterling in indemnities. The Icelandic representatives accepted this, and the Novgorian army returned to its homeland. Novgorod had been cut in two (OOC: The Northern part should have been a seperate country anyway, Karjala) and Iceland was victorious once more.

The following years was peacefull. Except of course, the sea battles in the Skagerakk, and fending off invasions of Norway. But that was mostly taken care off by the Norwegian themselves. Except for one time, when the Saxonians managed to land 9,000 men in Skåne. The Icelanders came to their allies aid that time and sent 2,000 troops from Ingermannland, the Norwegians attacked from Småland with 5,000 men and after a devastating battle, the northmen gained the day. Only a thousand men out of the combined Norwegian-Icelandic army survived, but they had managed to fend of an invasion. Another invasion would come, as 4,000 Saxonian troops landed in Österbotten after their navy had managed to flee from the Icelandic longships and make a landing before their ships were sunk. The invasion force were to be dealt with very soon.

While celebrating the new year of 1181, the great politician, Hvamm-Sturla Thordarsson drank himself to death. This was a great tragedy for Iceland, but a new law-speaker had to be elected, the Allthing gathered the same week and elected Gissur Hallsson, a man without specific ambitions, but with the promise of less taxes and fewer wars he became very popular. How he was to forfill those promises was uncertain, as taxes were needed to finance wars and kingdoms constantly declared war upon the republic...

Celebrations can be deadly. Nice work fighting that war and taking some more ground. And I agree, never give it up!

King Yngvar said:
I am one of those, if I loose a province I see it as the beginning of the end.
If you could put my playing style in a text file like the AI, it would probably say, Warmonger: 100%, Feriociy: Yes. I will not hand over a province even if the enemy hold it for a century.

About grabbing Gotland, it would have to wait a little, now I will have to defend my eastern holdings.

Well with your BB score and this philosophy I'd say you path is clear. War, war and more war. :D As you just did grab what you can when you can.
It looks like Norway turned out to be of use in the war. I hope they stay as
useful in the future. Good post. :cool:

Joe

Thank you all for reading, an update will hopefully come in the nearest future (though my schedule is tight)...

I didn't think you would have enough troops.

It is amazing how you can defeat an enemy army much larger than you if you have minimum serfdom, max quality, and only cavalry, while he has max serfdom, minimum quality and mostly infantry...

I'd say you path is clear. War, war and more war.

I might walk that path :D

And I agree, never give it up!

Even if I am loosing a war, I won't give up until it says something like: "You have been annexed, game over"

Thank you all for reading, an update will hopefully come in the nearest future (though my schedule is tight)...

I didn't think you would have enough troops.

It is amazing how you can defeat an enemy army much larger than you if you have minimum serfdom, max quality, and only cavalry, while he has max serfdom, minimum quality and mostly infantry...

I'd say you path is clear. War, war and more war.

I might walk that path :D

And I agree, never give it up!

Even if I am loosing a war, I won't give up until it says something like: "You have been annexed, game over"

The reign of Gissur Hallsson

When Gissur Hallsson was elected law-speaker of Iceland in 1181, the country had in less than thirty years expanded way beyond what the Icelanders had dreamed of. And he did not plan to hault its expansion.
Gissur set a goal for his regency, the rich island of Gotland was to be captured. It's treasures had been stored for many centuries and the town of Visby was a trading centre for much of the Baltic Sea. The war would have to wait however, for an opportunity, Gotland was currently allied to Denmark and Pommern, it's allies in Norway and Venice were not certain to honor the alliance. Before any invasion of Gotland could take place, many naval battles was fought between the longships of Iceland and the coggs of Welfen, even a small Brandenburger navy from Piemontee was defeated in the North Sea. There were many battles on the open sea, but after the destruction of it's entire navy, Welfen agreed to pay 50,000 sterling to the people of Iceland. Peace was finally made with the German alliance, after almost thirty years of war. At this time, Norway had re-taken Jylland and Venice had made themselves a stronghold in Holstein after shipping men around the half of Europe.

The opportunity came, Norway had a new king, one who enjoyed war, King Sverre had by 1188 become sick of the revival of Danish power. During the last decade, Denmark had conquered Vorpommern, vassalized Pommern and newly conquered Estland in a crusade by King Knut, styling himself "the Great". Norway declared war in january and the show was about to start.

In Reykjavik, people were eager for war and many volunteers wished to join the leidgangr that was to set sail for Gotland. The fish banner was held high as the longships loaded on the port of Reykjavik, it was time for war. Thorarin Ormthungi shipped the men from Iceland to Dyflinn (Dublin), where they stopped to refill supplies. More men joined the army from Ireland and they sat sail again, towards Skåne, where the battleplans would be laid.

In the east, the Icelandic armies pushed into Estland where they defeated King Knut and his men, the king was killed in the battle and a council in Denmark were to rule in his name the following years. The town of Reval was captured after a long siege, and by this time, the Icelandic troops were landing in Gotland. They found no army to fight however, all resistance they met was peasants with spears and pitchforks whom happened to be rebelling against their own government. The peasants were disarmed and the Icelandic army continiued the siege that they had begun. It was to be a long siege, for almost four years, the troops would be surrounding the city walls of Visby until the news arrived, people had become sick and tired of the starvation, the governor and the council had been decapitated and the townfolk was ready to surrender and become even more free than they were.

As Norwegian and Venetian troops were pillaging the streets of København and their navies were loosing at the sea to Iceland, Denmark agreed to peace with Iceland in 1191, ceding Estland, the Ests were liberated and converted to the true faith very quickly. In december, 1193, the walls of Visby had breached and Gotland became a part of the free Icelandic Republic. Gissur Hallsson had achieved his goals, and even more. His last years in reign would be peacefull, he was to be remembered as a good leader...

Nice job showing the Danes what the true meaning of defeat is! Keep up the great work King Yngvar.

Are you still taking loans or are you finally generating enough income to cover your expenses? Well done so far!

Joe

Very nice. Hoist some mead for victory, old boys! Where to next?

The Danes aren’t so tough any more I guess. Nice update :)

Thanks for the responce guys, sorry for not updating, but my life outside the computer has occupied most of my time. Have only managed to get 15 min on the comp now, going for a sled/snowscooter trip to Barentsburg (a Russian town on Svalbard with cheap liqour) within a half an hour, no time to play and definately no time for an AAR update. Will be back with it hopefully next week.

King Yngvar: are you still around? This AAR was very promising... :(