• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Released HRE Revised v1.21

We released the next small update on our previous work. In this version (besides being PI patch 1.04 compatible) we rebalanced the initial Seljuk Turks 1066 set up and we corrected some small issues. As always see first post to download the attachment.

v1.21
- Compatible with PI patch 1.04
- Buffed warrior cult slightly
- Made Seljuks more powerful to fight the byzantines
- Kingdom Tax no longer has an interface tooltip when available

Last edited:
I really like the spirit of this mod and truly hope some of the changes here are noticed by Paradox. They are subtle enough not to drastically alter the mechanics of the game, but significant enough to make playing within the HRE much more enjoyable.

Thank you.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the subtle approach. Van Diemen and I have been quite busy lately, but we'll give you a heads up when we are ready to talk about the features of the next version.

In other news, Van Diemen and I have been discussing attrition mechanics and how the AI responds to them. We've noticed many other balance mods like to increase the attrition a lot, but from our observations of the AI it tends to try and form a doomstack with its units asap and send them into hostile territory as one army (which gets hurt a lot by attrition). In other words, the AI doesn't seem to be able to recognize attrition logistics at all. As the player, this is easy to exploit as you can split your forces just under the attrition cap of most provinces (7k for example), place them in provinces next to each other, and only combine them when a battle is going to occur.

Generally speaking, I really don't like the idea of messing with attrition values, but if the AI is incapable of handling attrition perhaps something needs to be done. I'd like some input on this, especially if people are noticing the same AI behavior we are.

Last edited:
Be carefull with the attrition because siege could be long, and the ai couldn't handle(?) that...

It's definitely true that the attrition mechanic currently gives the human player a big advantage over the AI in the middle part of the game. I find that in the early years armies are so small that no one experiences much attrition, and that in the late game garrisons are so large that in order to win a siege I, too, must feed my troops into the attrition meat-grinder. Thus it seems to be less of an issue in the first and last centuries, but a moderate problem in the 1100s and 1300s, and a big problem in the 1200s.

In other news, Van Diemen and I have been discussing attrition mechanics and how the AI responds to them. We've noticed many other balance mods like to increase the attrition a lot, but from our observations of the AI it tends to try and form a doomstack with its units asap and send them into hostile territory as one army (which gets hurt a lot by attrition). In other words, the AI doesn't seem to be able to recognize attrition logistics at all. As the player, this is easy to exploit as you can split your forces just under the attrition cap of most provinces (7k for example), place them in provinces next to each other, and only combine them when a battle is going to occur.

Generally speaking, I really don't like the idea of messing with attrition values, but if the AI is incapable of handling attrition perhaps something needs to be done. I'd like some input on this, especially if people are noticing the same AI behavior we are.

I have noticed this when playing with BGA, though to be frank I think it is still better then the vanilla system of doomstacts everywhere, and I do feel it encourages an early big battle, which seems reasonably realistic to me.

I have noticed this when playing with BGA, though to be frank I think it is still better then the vanilla system of doomstacts everywhere, and I do feel it encourages an early big battle, which seems reasonably realistic to me.

But does it really encourage early battles or merely entreat the player to wait for the AI to attrite away with a couple months of sieging then concentrate his split stacks onto that whittled down AI army?

(keep in mind with the size of battles we are talking about both the AI and player would have multiple provinces)

But does it really encourage early battles or merely entreat the player to wait for the AI to attrite away with a couple months of sieging then concentrate his split stacks onto that whittled down AI army?

(keep in mind with the size of battles we are talking about both the AI and player would have multiple provinces)

It might be my style of play that encourages me to do it. And with higher attrition in enemey provinces, I will have the same problem when I siege them, unless I split my army up to siege three provinces, at which point the regenerated AI army marching in a doomstack (on it's own terriotory) comes to attack me - do I break some of the sieges and send all my armies to one province to attack there doomstack or not?

The point you raise is very valid, though I think it makes invading/ conquering harder so benefits the defender, whether or not the defender is AI or human.

I did all you say, but it does not work :mad:
have you even looked at when the last posts where made?
This mod is seven months old, more than half the life-time of the game...
in short, it's nowhere near compatible

I have an idea: maybe you can prevent possibility of declaring the war to empires if they have "autonomic vassals" law? That will balance the game - byzantine empire will have medium crown authority, and HRE will have autonomic vassals-it was very rare picture that Kaiser have declared a war, because, for example, why italian duke would fight with, I don't know, Denmark? It will balance the game, because on small duchy/kingdom wouldn't attack whole HRE, but two-three dukes like in real.
And sorry for my english, i hope you understand :)

Last edited: