The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I heard about that one and will definitely check it out. What about the other OVAs?
Well I did not watch any of them other than Akito so I cant tell you how good they are. But from what I can tell "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion Special Edition Black Rebellion" and "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 Special Edition Zero Requiem" are OVA's that summarize the respective seasons so I did not watch that but I guess it would be good for those that want a quick refresher. "Code Geass: The Miraculous Birthday" has weird animations for me so I did not watch it. "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion - Nunnally in Wonderland" is basically a Code Geass take on Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

There are a series of three films that reimagine the series and serve as prequels to Code Geass Lelouch of the Re;surrection a sequel film set after R2. I might watch those four films since according to this Crunchyroll article there appears to be a upcoming tv show Code Geass: Z of the Recapture that continues the the story told in the Re;surrection film.

Any spoilers in there?
I don't think so it mainly tells Britannia's history from its earliest beginnings and ends after the initial conquest of Japan. The Fanfiction itself is set after R1 and goes on a different path from there.

Man, Snorrison is really pulling a Dai Li with that "there are no crusaders in Scandinavia" crap, still don't know what he hopes to gain from this since it's not like Jerusalem will accept him as a collaborator.
There's also the possibility he's just that stupid.
Agreed, hopefully they do make it out of this arc, Clara and her family deserve a happy ending after all this.
They definitely do.
I will say this through, and I mean no offense by this criticism, but there aren't that many LGBT characters in this arc, and some of them, like Lakshmi, have died in pretty unfortunate ways after limited screentime. This is something I've noticed recently and it doesn't sit right with me the more I think about it, as it feels a little too close to the bury your gays trope (particularly Lakshmi that I mentioned earlier, as it's the only death I have an issue with, I don't have a problem with characters like Oskar or Jessica due to their buildup and development), but I do still enjoy this arc and I understand it might be hard to avoid, given this arc's THT influences and the antagonists being a massively homophobic theocracy. I just think this something you should keep in mind for the future. I apologize if I was too harsh here.
I agree. I was specifically watching out for trope, among others, when I was writing this arc. I was very hesitant on including LGBT characters in this arc, particularly since it has very anti-LGBT antagonists and institutions who wouldn't think twice about persecuting or killing them, out of fear of stepping on such tropes or playing on harmful stereotypes. I've said before that I didn't want to put LGBT characters in previous arcs because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to write them properly. I was incredibly hesitant about writing Oskar, Olga, and Jessica the way I did. My current plan was to try writing them exactly like I would straight characters, since nobody makes a big deal of a straight character being straight. It's a lot like how Yoko Taro writes LGBT characters in Nier: Replicant, where you have gay and intersex party members but nobody makes a big deal about it; them being gay and intersex is merely another part of them, not their defining quality. Olga never talked about her orientation too much because it didn't define her. Clara just happens to be married to a woman, and I dwell on it as much as I do Alex and Thea being a couple, unless Jerusalem specifically focuses on them both being women to further its oppression. Oskar only brought up his identity as a way of imparting a life lesson to Alex and Josh, but it was Josh who focused on his identity in the end. Obviously I couldn't do this with Lakshmi, whose transgender identity is crucial to her arc, and I think that's where I messed up, by focusing on that instead of anything else she stood for. However, I will say, in the most non-spoilerly way possible, that I do address your issues, and I hope to include more LGBT characters later on. I definitely will keep your advice in mind for the future, as I've already given myself similar advice and guidelines. I don't mean any disrespect when I write this; I'm always trying to improve on my representation. I spent yesterday completely reworking Clara's POVs in this batch because I wasn't satisfied with how I wrote her and thought one important scene in particular fell dangerously close to an LGBT stereotype I was trying to avoid with her (it's been replaced now). I think I'm more satisfied with her rewritten content now, and hopefully you will be as well.

Speaking of representation, I also noticed, as early as the previous story arc, that almost all of my POVs from the very beginning were Romans based in Europe. Same goes for physical settings, which were almost all in Roman Europe. This current arc was an opportunity to finally move my settings and POVs to outside Europe, and that will continue into the future. I want to cover the experiences of people outside the Reich to the same degree as I covered the experiences of Romans since the start of this project. After all, once Stellaris rolls around, it wouldn't make sense if I exclusively focused on the experiences of a small section of humanity when the rest of humanity was also going to space.
Well I did not watch any of them other than Akito so I cant tell you how good they are. But from what I can tell "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion Special Edition Black Rebellion" and "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 Special Edition Zero Requiem" are OVA's that summarize the respective seasons so I did not watch that but I guess it would be good for those that want a quick refresher. "Code Geass: The Miraculous Birthday" has weird animations for me so I did not watch it. "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion - Nunnally in Wonderland" is basically a Code Geass take on Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
Okay, I'll just browse through and see whichever ones look interesting.
There are a series of three films that reimagine the series and serve as prequels to Code Geass Lelouch of the Re;surrection a sequel film set after R2. I might watch those four films since according to this Crunchyroll article there appears to be a upcoming tv show Code Geass: Z of the Recapture that continues the the story told in the Re;surrection film.
Ah, those were the AU ones I was thinking about. I got one minor spoiler for them, I think, but I think I'll check those out at some point.
I don't think so it mainly tells Britannia's history from its earliest beginnings and ends after the initial conquest of Japan. The Fanfiction itself is set after R1 and goes on a different path from there.
Okay, good to hear.

• 1Love
Reactions:
It'll be a miracle if Knud survives this mess he's being used as the poster boy of.

It'll be a miracle if Knud survives this mess he's being used as the poster boy of.
It'll be a miracle if Knud even comprehends the mess he's being scapegoated into.

Oh, I didn't mention this when I talked about finding all of the missing screenshots from earlier in the megacampaign, but I did save as much of the CK2 chronicle as I could. That's the in-game record which documents stuff your dynasty did, as well as add some random flavor text (which was where I got the idea for the dragon and the giant robot). You can export it to a text file whenever you want. Unfortunately, it's missing a lot of years it should've otherwise documented, like the entirety of 1076-1081 and 1083-1086, because I used the console to swap characters a lot in the early game and didn't know that when you do that, it completely resets your chronicle to an empty slate. I figured it out soon afterward, so later on I was able to preserve more information by exporting before tag swapping. It could help me remember names and a general timeline of events, though later years are filled with records of random Viking raids instead of important stuff. For example, it told me that Siegfried I was in a battle with the Mexica outside Prague at the end of the initial invasion where Wilhelm III was killed. I don't remember them getting that far into the German interior. There was also one king of Mauretania who in 1356 converted from Norse paganism to West African paganism. I also added a lot of my own flavor text to the chronicle, some filling in the gaps and some providing headcanons for the weirder gameplay stuff that happened, like that one time the Kohen Gadol joined forces with the Mexica and declared war on the Reich.

The text file I had saved the chronicle to also had a lot of other lore I wrote up, like brief biographies and a list of titles for each CK2 Kaiser (as well as a weird list of each ethnicity and royal dynasty they are part of and how much descent they have from each), some notes from the planning stage of the EU4 conversion (I had apparently considered an Islamic al-Andalus remnant in Brazil and possibly a Zoroastrian holy order/exiled Hashshashin in Africa, Indonesia, or Australia; I think I dropped the former because it could have clashed with plans to incentivize Malian colonization), and the EU4 mission logs from 1556 to 1626. I might bring back some of the lore details from these notes into the modern canon at some point, depending on how reasonable they are, or build on them in a definitive edition.

anyways I should really be getting back to writing Chapter 467

• 3Like
Reactions:
I agree. I was specifically watching out for trope, among others, when I was writing this arc. I was very hesitant on including LGBT characters in this arc, particularly since it has very anti-LGBT antagonists and institutions who wouldn't think twice about persecuting or killing them, out of fear of stepping on such tropes or playing on harmful stereotypes. I've said before that I didn't want to put LGBT characters in previous arcs because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to write them properly. I was incredibly hesitant about writing Oskar, Olga, and Jessica the way I did. My current plan was to try writing them exactly like I would straight characters, since nobody makes a big deal of a straight character being straight. It's a lot like how Yoko Taro writes LGBT characters in Nier: Replicant, where you have gay and intersex party members but nobody makes a big deal about it; them being gay and intersex is merely another part of them, not their defining quality. Olga never talked about her orientation too much because it didn't define her. Clara just happens to be married to a woman, and I dwell on it as much as I do Alex and Thea being a couple, unless Jerusalem specifically focuses on them both being women to further its oppression. Oskar only brought up his identity as a way of imparting a life lesson to Alex and Josh, but it was Josh who focused on his identity in the end. Obviously I couldn't do this with Lakshmi, whose transgender identity is crucial to her arc, and I think that's where I messed up, by focusing on that instead of anything else she stood for. However, I will say, in the most non-spoilerly way possible, that I do address your issues, and I hope to include more LGBT characters later on. I definitely will keep your advice in mind for the future, as I've already given myself similar advice and guidelines. I don't mean any disrespect when I write this; I'm always trying to improve on my representation. I spent yesterday completely reworking Clara's POVs in this batch because I wasn't satisfied with how I wrote her and thought one important scene in particular fell dangerously close to an LGBT stereotype I was trying to avoid with her (it's been replaced now). I think I'm more satisfied with her rewritten content now, and hopefully you will be as well.
There also is the possibility that many LGBT people are in hiding. Which isn't that big a stretch to think about considering what the two biggest powers want to do to them.

Speaking of representation, I also noticed, as early as the previous story arc, that almost all of my POVs from the very beginning were Romans based in Europe. Same goes for physical settings, which were almost all in Roman Europe. This current arc was an opportunity to finally move my settings and POVs to outside Europe, and that will continue into the future. I want to cover the experiences of people outside the Reich to the same degree as I covered the experiences of Romans since the start of this project. After all, once Stellaris rolls around, it wouldn't make sense if I exclusively focused on the experiences of a small section of humanity when the rest of humanity was also going to space.
Well in your defense most of the story has taken place in Europe since the Reich is in Europe so it would make since that most of the characters and places talked about would be there. It would be unrealistic/not historic to have someone from Asia or the Americas in Europe before the 1400's just like how it would be unrealistic to have a European in Asia or Sub Saharan Africa before that time as well. Not that that can't happen, you have stories like Malik Ambar an African slave who became a ruler in India or William Adams the first Englishmen to reach Japan and who also became a Samurai but those are very rare. Hopefully that does not come across as racist. That is just one of my pet peeves in were historical shows and movies have characters in positions that they would not have had in history.

However I do like the inclusion of more characters from different parts of the world.

Islamic al-Andalus remnant in Brazil
Mabey the Islamic al-Andalus remnant could have moved to Mali first and these refugees could have influenced some Mali Mansa's to try and colonize Brazil. However that colony failed like Old Vinland did and it was not until later that the Mali Empire was able to establish a colony in Nsoroala like how Scandinavia established New Vinland?

Zoroastrian holy order/exiled Hashshashin in Africa, Indonesia, or Australia
You could go with the Hashshashin order in Indonesia as part of the reason why there was one in Singapura were Otto's father Kaiser Karl I was killed?

anyways I should really be getting back to writing Chapter 467
Well you still have three weeks after Sunday's update before you have to worry about posting Chapter 467.

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't mention this when I talked about finding all of the missing screenshots from earlier in the megacampaign, but I did save as much of the CK2 chronicle as I could. That's the in-game record which documents stuff your dynasty did, as well as add some random flavor text (which was where I got the idea for the dragon and the giant robot). You can export it to a text file whenever you want. Unfortunately, it's missing a lot of years it should've otherwise documented, like the entirety of 1076-1081 and 1083-1086, because I used the console to swap characters a lot in the early game and didn't know that when you do that, it completely resets your chronicle to an empty slate. I figured it out soon afterward, so later on I was able to preserve more information by exporting before tag swapping. It could help me remember names and a general timeline of events, though later years are filled with records of random Viking raids instead of important stuff. For example, it told me that Siegfried I was in a battle with the Mexica outside Prague at the end of the initial invasion where Wilhelm III was killed. I don't remember them getting that far into the German interior. There was also one king of Mauretania who in 1356 converted from Norse paganism to West African paganism. I also added a lot of my own flavor text to the chronicle, some filling in the gaps and some providing headcanons for the weirder gameplay stuff that happened, like that one time the Kohen Gadol joined forces with the Mexica and declared war on the Reich
Nice to see you were able to save the chronicle. Were you able to access the Hohenzollern family tree in the save file? If so, what new information did you learn for it that could help with the reworks or the definitive editions?

Also, going back to the discussion of LGBT+ representation, if you're planning on LGBTQIA representation in the CK2 rework, I feel like CK3's orientation alignments would've helped a lot with representation in the rework arc, as supposed to characters either having or not having the homosexual trait, although I guess you could always roleplay bisexuality and asexuality or take on a celibacy vow in the later orientation's case.
The text file I had saved the chronicle to also had a lot of other lore I wrote up, like brief biographies and a list of titles for each CK2 Kaiser (as well as a weird list of each ethnicity and royal dynasty they are part of and how much descent they have from each), some notes from the planning stage of the EU4 conversion (I had apparently considered an Islamic al-Andalus remnant in Brazil and possibly a Zoroastrian holy order/exiled Hashshashin in Africa, Indonesia, or Australia; I think I dropped the former because it could have clashed with plans to incentivize Malian colonization), and the EU4 mission logs from 1556 to 1626. I might bring back some of the lore details from these notes into the modern canon at some point, depending on how reasonable they are, or build on them in a definitive edition.
Maybe you could have some members of the remaning Muslim communities in Iberia and North Africa settle in Neurhomania, along with other minorities fleeing discrimination in the mainland like the French and Poles. That way the European descended settlers of Neurhomania or Mittagsland wouldn’t be exclusively German.
You could go with the Hashshashin order in Indonesia as part of the reason why there was one in Singapura were Otto's father Kaiser Karl I was killed?
Yeah, maybe a branch of the Hashassians in Indonesia that’s still connected to the main branch in Persia could work, a bit like the Inquisition’s multiple branches. In that case, maybe we should keep Persia’s remaining Pacific colonies canon to represent Hashshashin bases and international branches.

Last edited:
There also is the possibility that many LGBT people are in hiding. Which isn't that big a stretch to think about considering what the two biggest powers want to do to them.
Yes, that too.
Also, going back to the discussion of LGBT+ representation, if you're planning on LGBTQIA representation in the CK2 rework, I feel like CK3's orientation alignments would've helped a lot with representation in the rework arc, as supposed to characters either having or not having the homosexual trait, although I guess you could always roleplay bisexuality and asexuality or take on a celibacy vow in the later orientation's case.
I might consider it, particularly with asexual characters. Though I don't want to go too far with medieval LGBT characters, since a lot of polities and cultures we might think as progressive in that area didn't see homosexuality the way we do and still did not approve of it. Medieval Scandinavia in particular was pretty hostile to homosexuals, even before Christianization from what little we could infer. As opposed to the OTL Nordic nations, modern Scandinavia here could have legalized homosexuality very late.
Well in your defense most of the story has taken place in Europe since the Reich is in Europe so it would make since that most of the characters and places talked about would be there. It would be unrealistic/not historic to have someone from Asia or the Americas in Europe before the 1400's just like how it would be unrealistic to have a European in Asia or Sub Saharan Africa before that time as well. Not that that can't happen, you have stories like Malik Ambar an African slave who became a ruler in India or William Adams the first Englishmen to reach Japan and who also became a Samurai but those are very rare. Hopefully that does not come across as racist. That is just one of my pet peeves in were historical shows and movies have characters in positions that they would not have had in history.
As for Asian and American characters being unrealistic before the 1400s, we have Genghis Khan and Ocuil Acatl.:p Even if we ignore the Mexica, Asia still includes the Mongols and Indians, and there was indirect contact with China throughout the medieval era due to the Silk Road. Marco Polo went to China, and various Christian sects and Judaism were present in China. It wouldn't be a stretch to have a Chinese merchant or monk show up in Europe. Like how CK2 added the China interaction mechanic in later updates. But I do agree these people would be rare.
However I do like the inclusion of more characters from different parts of the world.
Yes, that's something I really want to cover.
Mabey the Islamic al-Andalus remnant could have moved to Mali first and these refugees could have influenced some Mali Mansa's to try and colonize Brazil. However that colony failed like Old Vinland did and it was not until later that the Mali Empire was able to establish a colony in Nsoroala like how Scandinavia established New Vinland?
I'm sure at least a few Andalusians and Moors ended up in Mali after all of the wars Mali got into in Mauretania.

I think my next idea for the Andalusians, once I scrapped them as an independent polity, was that they were a failed colony for whatever reason. That might still work in the canon. Might add them back in a definitive edition.
Maybe you could have some members of the remaning Muslim communities in Iberia and North Africa settle in Neurhomania, along with other minorities fleeing discrimination in the mainland like the French and Poles. That way the European descended settlers of Neurhomania or Mittagsland wouldn’t be exclusively German.
That's a good idea. When I was brainstorming the Andalusian colony, my justification was they were fleeing the Reich's conquests and persecution of Muslims and had nowhere to go but west. A lot of persecuted minorities probably ended up in Neurhomania and other colonies like sub-Saharan Africa. Would explain why the Neurhomanian colonial government briefly flipped to Reformed Iconoclasm.
That could explain how they got there. They had a base in the area.
Yeah, maybe a branch of the Hashassians in Indonesia that’s still connected to the main branch in Persia could work, a bit like the Inquisition’s multiple branches. In that case, maybe we should keep Persia’s remaining Pacific colonies canon to represent Hashshashin bases and international branches.
They could've spread to Southeast Asia with Persian colonists. Persia did have colonies in the area. The Hashshashin could've stayed even after decolonization.

I'm not sure about keeping Persia's remaining colonies canon because it wouldn't have made sense after the 19th century, when Persia was completely landlocked and had no way of reaching them.
Well you still have three weeks after Sunday's update before you have to worry about posting Chapter 467.
Actually, I have a bit more time, as you'll eventually see...
Nice to see you were able to save the chronicle. Were you able to access the Hohenzollern family tree in the save file? If so, what new information did you learn for it that could help with the reworks or the definitive editions?
I've currently just opened the save file itself in a text editor and manually checked each important member of the Hohenzollern family. It's a little tedious, but I can build the family tree that way and also find out the true parentage of illegitimate children (Ida’s youngest two kids). It’s effectively the same as looking at the tree in the game, although less user friendly. I’m actually thinking of making an infographic with the whole family tree at some point, but it might get too big to be readable with 1000+ years to cover. I currently have a small family tree for Otto and his descendants as well as the X-Division crew and their relatives so I can remember relationships and ages, and it’s already really cluttered. I’ll think about it.

Reactions:
That chronicle would definitely do wonders for the CK2 rewrite. I always tend to play as other characters first and manipulate the world around them before going back to my main ones, or just type in observe so the main chronicle doesn't go missing. I am looking forward to seeing this rewrite as I said before, especially now that we'd be filling in the missing ones with the rewritten CK2 plotlines. Can't wait till we get there in due time.

That chronicle would definitely do wonders for the CK2 rewrite. I always tend to play as other characters first and manipulate the world around them before going back to my main ones, or just type in observe so the main chronicle doesn't go missing. I am looking forward to seeing this rewrite as I said before, especially now that we'd be filling in the missing ones with the rewritten CK2 plotlines. Can't wait till we get there in due time.
That was what I was doing at the beginning, tag swapping to other characters to fire off decisions or accept certain diplomatic agreements. I didn't know observer mode keeps the chronicle, since I didn't use it at all. Hope to start working on the rewrite soon, but first I've got to finish this arc.

New Year, New Plan

Isfahan - March 21

Today was Nowruz, the first day of the new year in the Persian calendar. A light snow fell outside Gunduz’s window. It felt like a lot of holidays took place this month. To the average citizen that was great, because it meant more days off from work—this particular Nowruz would extend the weekend into Monday the 21st. For Gunduz, it aggravated her because she couldn’t take any days off. On Saturday, she had sat in on one of Shayan’s war room discussions and reviewed Huma. I think I’ve been too harsh on him lately. Was already cranky from lack of coffee. Huma’s progress didn’t help. The Persians’ advance had slowed to a crawl due to Jerusalem’s “dumb as bricks” strategy. Funny how they took our own “dumb as bricks” strategy and made it even dumber. Casualty rates shot through the roof. The Majlis and the press were starting to complain.

Poor Izinchi Ochimeca. Everyone’s gonna pile on her just as the old Diet did to her. That idiot senator Mozaffar’s already tormented her enough at that last hearing she lashed out at. Feel sorry for that girl. She’s the only survivor from before, and they treat her…exactly as she was treated back then. I frakking hate politics sometimes.

On Sunday, she had been handling paperwork for a mass vaccination campaign. She had already gotten the major hospitals, shipping companies, and local community groups onboard with her plan. Aside from issues relating to the worsening weather, the only issue was they were still using the standard smallpox vaccines for strains from the last century, not anything specific for Pesah. There wasn’t anything she could do. It was up to the Malians now.

Look, I understand this stuff takes time, but can you guys please hurry the frak up? The death rate in North Eimerica’s surging into the thousands as we speak.

Today, Monday, was the worst. Argeiphontes had made a breakthrough. Normally, that would be a good thing. The Artesh had gained valuable intel from remotely viewing the Panopticons of Crusaders on the field. This wasn’t one of those times. No, the breakthrough came from more involved remote viewing the Panopticons of commanders and officers. At first, her dedicated operatives connected to Panopticons in the crumbling Central Asia front for training purposes, but as more and more Crusaders fell there, they turned their attention to Mesopotamia. As they did so, they uncovered a much larger and denser Panopticon network than that in Central Asia. This network seemed to be based around a hub in Basra, which backed up the findings from that botched remote control test run Humboldt had done. There was a staggering number of soldiers, vehicles, and weaponry being amassed in Basra. Watching and listening through the Panopticons, the Artesh had learned there was a Crusader offensive being planned.

They called it Operation Gaugamela, after the battle in which Alexander the Great decisively defeated Achaemenid Persia and paved the way for its complete conquest by his Macedonian Empire. These names are getting too frakking grandiose. Even I know when to stop! The operation seemed to recycle elements from the invasion of Russia a week into the war: a fast and overwhelming offensive to punch through border defenses, rush to the capital before anyone could react, and take out everyone important before they could launch a counterattack. Gunduz knew not to underestimate the simplicity of another “dumb as bricks” strategy. This strategy took out Russia, which was far better equipped than Persia, in less than a week. Russia had far more men, industry, and land than Persia. Most importantly, it had Olga Kirova.

No matter how hard I try, I’ll never be as good as Chancellor Kirova. I can see why Willie liked her so much, even though she’s known me for far longer. No, I am absolutely not jealous!

If Russia lasted less than a week, Persia would likely only survive half that. Even by Shayan’s most generous estimates, a Crusader force that large and armed would wipe the floor with them. It wasn’t fair. They had been making so much progress with Huma recently, even if their advance had slowed from what it used to be. Gunduz hated how all that was about to be undone with a simple blitz on Isfahan. Not fair, not frakking fair! Why the hell does Jerusalem get literally everything handed to it on a silver platter, while we have to move mountains and pull off miracles to even have a glimpse of victory, and even then it can all be undone and reversed with another damn silver platter?! Sometimes, I swear the universe is out to get us. Ahura Mazda has a horrible sense of humor.

But there was another way.

Yesterday

It was her fault for agreeing to a meeting on Sunday. The vaccination paperwork already made her cranky enough, and now Magnus Kvensen wanted to talk? She took a sip of water. Without her beloved coffee, she was even crankier.

“Please tell me you’ve grown a third eye or something.” She slammed her cup against the desk, not out of rage but boredom. “Surely my Sunday can’t get any worse.”

“Uh…sorry if I’m interrupting you at a bad time, ma’am,” Magnus said, “But my team has an idea about Gaugamela.”

Gunduz’s eyebrow perked up. An idea? From these kids? Eh, I’ve got nothing better to do today, why not? “I’m listening.”

“Yes, I totally understand if I’m stepping out of line, I’ll return to the lab to—wait, what?”

Gunduz narrowed her sleep-deprived eyes. “What time zone are you in, Kvensen? Out with it.”

“W-well, you know how Thea is Theodor Tesla’s sister, right?”

“Yes, Kvensen, I’m well aware of their familial ties. It’s in her frakking surname, as anybody with eyes can read.”

“And did Wilhelmina talk to you about the regent Elias Anhorn? How he was obsessed with killing her?”

Elias Anhorn. I’ve barely heard his name until recently. Some random CB ideologue from before. But now he’s become such a big deal as a Regent of Jerusalem. For some reason, the guy is really fixated on killing Wilhelmina and her family. I don’t know how or why this is a thing, but I don’t care. He wants to hurt Willie. If I could deal with him, I would.

“Yes, I know about Elias Anhorn.”

“What if I told you we could take them out?”

“…Take them out?!”

Magnus nodded.

“You’re joking.”

But Magnus’ expression didn’t change. “I’m serious. We talked about it, us four. If we play our cards right, we could deal a massive blow to Gaugamela.”

“Are you sure?” Gunduz said. “You think we could pull it off?”

“There’s a chance,” Magnus said.

Gunduz was really interested now. “What are we talking about?”

Today

It was a crazy plan. There was no way would it work.

But it was the only plan they had that wasn’t essentially “roll over and pray for a quick death.” Gunduz would have to roll the dice and hope for the best. At least the chance of victory, even if it was slim, would not be zero.

In essence, the plan called for her and Wilhelmina to bait Gaugamela into attacking. Using targeted press releases, the princess would make her presence in Isfahan known to the committee. Although it was common knowledge she was already there, the committee had not acted on it yet. They would specifically target Elias Anhorn. Willie had always said that Elias was obsessed with killing her, even ordering his own troops to stand down so he could do it himself, which allowed her to escape. By playing on this fixation, they could goad Elias into personally leading Gaugamela into Isfahan. They could then do the same with Theodor Tesla, who similarly fixated on his sister. Theodor had already been spotted in Basra at the Gaugamela hub, so it wouldn’t be too much of a leap to get him to join the invasion. Then as soon as Gaugamela crossed the border and made for Isfahan, Gunduz and Wilhelmina would throw everything they had at the Crusaders, focusing on taking out both Elias and Theodor. If necessary, she would have the Artesh fight all across Persia, from the border to the front door of Ali Qapu. With any luck, their capture, humiliation, or even deaths would demoralize the enemy, throw the Crusader army into disarray, and provoke a power struggle in Berlin. After that? Well, she would worry about it when she got there.

She had already gone over it with her ministers and top Artesh generals. Shayan quickly came around to the plan. As an apology for Saturday, she assigned him to Isfahan’s defense, so the Crusaders would have to go through line after line of Artesh divisions before they got to him. The other generals expressed their doubts, but some sharp words from her brought them back in line. The ministers and Majlis leaders were much harder to get onboard, especially Senator Mozaffar, a rising politician who had gotten on her nerves lately. Some dismissed Gaugamela as harmless or overblown. Gunduz shut those deniers down instantly. Others feared redeploying the Artesh in the way Gunduz wanted would weaken Huma. She admitted it would. The best she could do is issue an order to withdraw them to better defended territory until the danger passed or Börte arrived from Taurica. Defending the Persian homeland took priority.

Gunduz hated intervening in the Majlis’ affairs more than she had to. The monarchy getting involved in the civilian government evoked memories of Reza Khan using his puppet Cyrus II, Gunduz’s great-grandfather, as a bludgeon against opposition factions in the Majlis. Even if it was that damned Reza the whole time, they blamed Cyrus. They still blame my family. Meanwhile, people still buy T-shirts of that fascist war criminal. I don’t even know how. But it was what it was. The fact was that whole mess that was World War II resulted in the Majlis gaining a peculiar power: the authority to begin the process to abolish the monarchy. It had almost been done in 1946 because everyone hated Cyrus II. If the Majlis as much as suspected Gunduz would go down her great-grandfather’s path, it would hold another referendum and dispose with the Seljuks altogether. And then this country will really go to hell. Remember how all those historical republics ended up?

Regardless, she would have to deal with them. Though with the generals on her side, she could afford to show the politicians the door until it was all over. Once the dust settled, she would have either won, allowing her to give them her best “I frakking told you so” smug face, or lost, in which case everyone would be dead and it wouldn’t matter anyways. Oh well. I’ll handle Mozaffar and those idiots later. They’ll either understand or be dead. Though not by my hands.

Next came the actual strategy.

Yesterday

“So what you’re saying is…we’re not even going to engage them head-on?” Shayan said.

Gunduz forcefully moved unit counters around on the war room’s map of Persia. “No. Did my words not get past that thick skull of yours? Even if we threw the entire Artesh at Gaugamela, it wouldn’t make a difference.”

“Ma’am, what are you suggesting?”

Gunduz rearranged the unit counters into two parallel lines stretching from Basra to Isfahan. Then she moved the Gaugamela counters out of Basra. As the enemy counters made their way towards Isfahan, she slammed the Persian counters into it from the north and south.

“We let them into Persia, but along the way, we hit them with everything short of an all-out offensive. Whittle down their numbers. Minimize our casualties and prioritize taking out their commanders, particularly Anhorn and Tesla.”

“You sure those two will actually be part of Gaugamela?” Shayan said. “They’re Regents. Reasonably, they’d stay behind.”

“I have it on good authority that those two monsters aren’t reasonable people,” Gunduz said, “They’ll be there.”

“And what’s saying they won’t just push past our attacks and reach Isfahan?”

“Well…” Actually, about that… “Nothing, really. There’s a good chance they’ll enter Isfahan.”

Shayan stared at her. “Permission to speak freely, ma’am?”

“Sure, whatever.”

“Then what the frak do we do?!”

“If it comes to that…” Then we’ve got no choice. “We put all of our cards on the table. Our best troops from all of what remains of Schengen, you, Argeiphontes, Willie…and maybe even myself.”

“Don’t be serious, ma’am! You’re the Shahbanu!”

“I’m the frakking Shahbanu. Didn’t you forget? You know I got certified.”

“I’m not sure if that’s a good thing…”

“Regardless, our priority is neutralizing Anhorn and Tesla. We kill or capture them, Gaugamela will likely collapse.”

“How can you be so sure?” Shayan said.

“They did the same to Russia.” Gunduz smirked. “We’ll do the same back to them.”

Today

She would be lying to herself is she said she was confident of their chances. She really wasn’t. But it was the same logic as that which drove Konstantinov, Börte, and Operation Huma. If they didn’t do anything, they were guaranteed to be frakked. On the other hand, this plan at least gave them a chance, however slim. And it wasn’t like she was alone.

Yesterday

The lab looked more like a garage at this point. Tools and toolboxes were randomly scattered across the floor. The air smelled of engine oil. Gunduz scoffed and rolled her eyes. “So this where so many taxpayer dinars are going, a car shop.” Mozaffar’s gonna have a field day.

“I assure you, those dinars went to good use,” Magnus said, “Because you see, we’ve scaled down the reactor to something for practical use.”

Thea rolled out from under the Impala. “He means a car engine.”

Gunduz finally noticed the black car sitting in the middle of the room. “Princess Four-Eyes. So focused on looking at everything around you that you forget about what’s right in front of you.” Guess I’m no different, huh? The car looked almost identical to the pictures of the original on a nearby table, but a hole had been cut in the hood for the engine, which partially stuck out. She facepalmed. “We’re so frakked, aren’t we?”

“I know how it looks, but I’ve talked it over with the others,” Thea said, “We may have a plan for taking out Theodor, if he makes it to Isfahan.”

“And, pray tell, what is this master plan to take out the diabolical evil genius who’s responsible for Jerusalem’s craziest weapons of mass destruction?”

Alexandra looked up from the steering wheel. “He’s always wanted to get his hands on our betharium reactor. So I say we use it to lure him into a trap. If we need mobility, this is our ride.”

“Have you even tested this thing?”

Alex appeared from another room, carrying a spare tire. “No test drive yet, but we’ve fired up the engine a couple times. Care to do the honors, Alexandra?”

“Got it!” Alexandra hit the ignition. Instead of hearing the usual sputtering cough of an internal combustion engine, she heard a quiet hum, like that of an electric motor, and saw a faint light blue glow coming from the engine’s top.

“The viewports are just there to make it more obvious,” Alex said.

“Thea, move!” Alexandra said.

Thea rolled away from the car just as Alexandra tapped the gas. The car lurched forward at an unexpected speed. Magnus yelped and jumped out of the way of the Impala as it accelerated towards the wall. Alexandra, whose face remained calm and collected through all this, casually hit the brake and stopped. “Damn, I still have to adjust the pedal for safer acceleration. But otherwise I’d say that was a success!”

These kids are a lost cause. Gunduz turned to Angelica and Tania, who were playing cards at one of the tables. “Please tell me at least one of you have something I can use.”

“I’m going with those four,” Angelica said, “Those nerds’ll need an armed escort.”

“You know we can still hear you, right?” Thea said.

Oui, whatever,” Angelica said.

I like this girl’s attitude!

“As for me, I’ve tried reaching out to Scandinavia,” Tania said.

“Uh…is that even possible?” Last I heard, Scandinavia wasn’t exactly…in existence. “And even so, we’re on the other side of Europe from them, right?”

“Still, it was worth a shot,” Tania said, “I managed to finally get a call through. Unfortunately, it connected to that blasted chancellor Snorrison. Guy hung up on me. Said I was an impersonator.”

I swear, if we both survive this war, at the next world leaders conference I’m gonna punch that guy in the face. Right after I punch Mozaffar. “So…nothing.”

“I’ll stick with Angelica and the others. These nerds sure could use a sniper.”

“Oh come on!” Thea said.

Tania laughed. “Sorry, couldn’t resist.”

“So…basically…your grand strategy to take out Theodor Tesla is to…drive around Isfahan and use the reactor as bait,” Gunduz said.

“It’s actually more complicated, but I don’t want to divulge too many details,” Thea said.

Gunduz crossed her arms and huffed. “Really? Not even to the frakking Shahbanu? I’m literally the last person who would spill state secrets to the enemy.”

“If you fall into their hands, they could find out.”

“Really, now? What makes you so certain that they’d capture me, of all people, to get to you?!”

Thea wasn’t fazed by Gunduz’s frustration. “You don’t know how egotistical and shortsighted my brother can be.” She spat out the word “brother” like she was forced to say it. “Please, ma’am. You have to trust us. We can take him out.”

“Are you really sure?” Gunduz said. “That you can do it?”

“We’ve already scouted out a route and locations for all of us,” Alexandra said, “As well as contingency plans.”

“I was meaning…are you ready to kill him?” Gunduz said. “He’s your brother, Thea.”

Thea’s eyes narrowed. She shook her head. “That was a long time ago. My brother is dead to me. I told you before, that monster with his face is not my brother. I failed to end him before. If the world demands it, I won’t fail again.”

Today

Gunduz sighed. She ended up trusting those six fools. She hoped she wouldn’t regret it. If things went south, she would have lost her four best scientists. I really hope they pull it off.

After that came Wilhelmina, but Gunduz didn’t need a whole conversation for her.

Yesterday

“I’m in,” Wilhelmina said.

“Yeah, I kind of figured you say that,” Gunduz said.

“You heard me, I’m in—wait what?” Wilhelmina said.

“Yeah, I did.”

“I thought I’d need to convince you.”

“I’m also reconsidering asking you right now.”

“You already said it, we need everyone we can get if—no, when—they reach Isfahan. And you need me to lure Elias.”

“We can find some other way,” Gunduz said, “I don’t know, maybe photo editing? An edited video? Like they did to you before? Something that doesn’t need the real you.”

“No, it has to be me,” Wilhelmina said, “I have to do this. This is the only way it’ll work.”

“Are you trying to atone for Russia?” Gunduz said.

Wilhelmina recalled August’s face. She could recall no other. Because of me, he lost his entire family. “In a way, yes. I suppose now it’s time to do something similar. But this time, I hold the cards.”

“Willie, I really do appreciate your selflessness these days, but seriously, can you at least look out for yourself?”

Wilhelmina looked at Gunduz. “Didn’t we have this conversation last time? With Huma?”

“I guess we did,” Gunduz said.

“So if you remember how that went, you know how I feel about this.”

Gunduz looked at her with pleading eyes, almost like a puppy.

“You know that won’t work,” Wilhelmina said, “You were always the stick, not the carrot.”

Gunduz sighed. “At least promise me you’ll—”

“You said that last time, and my answer’s still the same.”

Gunduz opened her mouth and then shook her head, frustrated. “Damnit, why does it always have to be like this, huh? You’ve always been a real handful for me, Willie.”

“I could say the same about you,” Wilhelmina said, “But I’m not sure what role you have in this little plan you’re making.”

Gunduz snickered. “That will be my little secret.”

Today

The snow was falling harder now. Gunduz flipped through the intelligence briefing, going over the information about Gaugamela once more. Then she looked at her own notebook, in which she had jotted down notes for each of the groups she had talked to. It wasn’t the ace in the hole she was expecting, but it would have to do. The timetable Argeiphontes uncovered indicated Gaugamela would be launched within the next two weeks, possibly sooner. There was no time to waste, even on a holiday like Nowruz. She picked up her phone and contacted Shayan.

“Yes?”

“It’s time to put our plan into motion,” Gunduz said, “Once the festivities are over, begin evacuating everyone in Isfahan.”

---

If I had come up with the name Mozaffar sooner, I would have mentioned it in the earlier chapter with Izinchi. My intent is that one of the nameless guys in that hearing was him.

• 2Like
Reactions:
With things this dire, a bold, risky plan seems called for.

Neat to see an update on my birthday, especially after buying P5 Royal today. Great update to set up things going down in Isfahan, something we’ve been teasing for a while now, espically since our protagonists will be facing down Theodor, Elias and presumably Josh as well.
Gunduz hated intervening in the Majlis’ affairs more than she had to. The monarchy getting involved in the civilian government evoked memories of Reza Khan using his puppet Cyrus II, Gunduz’s great-grandfather, as a bludgeon against opposition factions in the Majlis. Even if it was that damned Reza the whole time, they blamed Cyrus. They still blame my family. Meanwhile, people still buy T-shirts of that fascist war criminal. I don’t even know how. But it was what it was.
The fact that Reza Khan is the only Axis dictator to not only largely escape prosecution after the war, but also went on to become chancellor of Persia again after the Reich ousted the previous meritocratically appointed left leaning chancellor in the fifties is interesting to me, because the Majlis seem like type to idolize Reza and look down left leaning movements. Maybe that would play into Persia's growing populism and hatred of Roman culture.
The fact was that whole mess that was World War II resulted in the Majlis gaining a peculiar power: the authority to begin the process to abolish the monarchy. It had almost been done in 1946 because everyone hated Cyrus II. If the Majlis as much as suspected Gunduz would go down her great-grandfather’s path, it would hold another referendum and dispose with the Seljuks altogether. And then this country will really go to hell. Remember how all those historical republics ended up?
I do see where Gunduz is coming from with her learning about the failures of historical republics and her earlier apprehension a few updates ago at Wilhelmina divorcing the Roman monarchy from the political biases, not to mention how populist the Majlis seem to be getting, but I feel like her biases are preventing her from seeing how terrible and archaic absolute monarchy is as a modern political system, especially when an essentially feudal power system like that is parred with a system that's supposed to be representative like democracy or meritocracy. I don't think it's a coincidence that China, the Reich and what's left of Scandinavia became authoritarian through a populist civilian politician managing to manipulate their respective monarchies, even when previous monarchs weren't that involved in politics.

With things this dire, a bold, risky plan seems called for.
It can’t be worse than inaction. Doing nothing guarantees the worst. At least this gives everyong a fighting chance.
Neat to see an update on my birthday, especially after buying P5 Royal today. Great update to set up things going down in Isfahan, something we’ve been teasing for a while now, espically since our protagonists will be facing down Theodor, Elias and presumably Josh as well.
Nice, happy birthday! P5R’s a great game, hope you enjoy it.

Things are starting to build up to…well, something. Our protagonists have quite the task ahead of them.
The fact that Reza Khan is the only Axis dictator to not only largely escape prosecution after the war, but also went on to become chancellor of Persia again after the Reich ousted the previous meritocratically appointed left leaning chancellor in the fifties is interesting to me, because the Majlis seem like type to idolize Reza and look down left leaning movements. Maybe that would play into Persia's growing populism and hatred of Roman culture.
Not only that, but he was brought back into mainstream society and had his punishment reduced with overwhelming public support. Persian society has not been that friendly to the left outside of the most moderate and centrist groups, perhaps as a legacy of Yinal’s failed revolution, the revolutions of 1848, how Persia lost its coastlines, the multiple Chinese-sponsored coups in the 20th century, and the Reich helping topple Mossadegh both out of fear of Soviet takeover and to keep the oil flowing. The Majlis is a political body like any other, filled with politicians from across the spectrum, but the very fact that a leftist administration was overthrown and replaced by a literal fascist war criminal with public approval naturally means Persian politics is very skewed to the right. We’re going to see more of this dynamic in the future as I bring Mozaffar into the story as a character in his own right.

Regarding Persia’s growing populism and anti-Roman sentiments, I did finish the latest season of The Handmaid’s Tale and focused a lot on the portrayal of Canadians growing hostile to the American refugees. Again, probably not going to adapt any scenes or plot arcs (aside from one short scene in the season finale), but I think I will show something similar is happening with the Persian people and Roman exiles.
I do see where Gunduz is coming from with her learning about the failures of historical republics and her earlier apprehension a few updates ago at Wilhelmina divorcing the Roman monarchy from the political biases, not to mention how populist the Majlis seem to be getting, but I feel like her biases are preventing her from seeing how terrible and archaic absolute monarchy is as a modern political system, especially when an essentially feudal power system like that is parred with a system that's supposed to be representative like democracy or meritocracy. I don't think it's a coincidence that China, the Reich and what's left of Scandinavia became authoritarian through a populist civilian politician managing to manipulate their respective monarchies, even when previous monarchs weren't that involved in politics.
My main intent with Gunduz’s line was to reference my funny option text from the event where Persia almost abolished its monarchy, where I made the AI take the option that said “Remember what happened to every single republic ever?” Although she is a lot like Wilhelmina in many beliefs and preferences, Gunduz is certainly very conservative when it comes to the monarchy. For that matter, most 21st century meritocratic monarchs were, since they followed the Roman system where the monarch serves as an additional check on the civilian government’s actions.

In the Reich, this arose out of Otto seeking to preserve for himself and his successors a way to prevent another Markos Angelos from gaining power. But all this did was create a weak point in the meritocratic system as the Kaiser can keep the rest of the system in check, but nobody keeps the monarchy itself in check. That makes the monarchy the weakest link in the system, because whoever controls the monarchy can by extension control the entire rest of the system. The Reich then proceeded to export this system to everyone else in Schengen between 1946 and 2030, even to countries which lacked the historical context behind giving the monarchy such unchecked power. Nobody noticed how Otto, for all his intents at creating a modern representative government based on popular sovereignty, simply slapped such institutions on top of an existing absolute monarchy without that monarchy making any concessions in return.

Persia operates under the same system, and Gunduz doesn’t see it because she’s the shahbanu. She was raised in such a system. She benefits from it and sees nothing wrong with keeping things as they are. So naturally she assumes this is the only way it can be done, because it’s the only way she’s seen it done. All of the history books talk about the failure of Nsorala or the Corporate Republic of Kanata or the Republic of Ethiopia, not to mention all of the equalist republics and their brutality. Then there’s the elephant in the room that is Yinal’s plan to make Persia a republic—to the history books, a Persian republic would end up no different from all those other failed experiments. Gunduz believes the current system is the only one that works and that there is no historical precedent for any other way. So she’s predictably worried when Wilhelmina insists on cutting off the Roman monarchy from the civilian government. If that happens, wouldn’t the Reich effectively become a republic? And what would the monarchy even do if it isn’t part of the political process?

Oh yeah, and I suppose China’s constitutional monarchy falls into the same trap due to the monarchy still having significant influence and soft power, if not actual political power.

Eventually, Gunduz is going to get a front row seat to why exactly absolute monarchy, even one disguised within a liberal meritocratic framework, is a bad thing. Because as they say, “I didn’t expect the leopards to eat MY face!”

Reactions:
Hope to start working on the rewrite soon, but first I've got to finish this arc.
I look forward to it. Also I had an idea. Mabey you can switch between the two when ever you get writers block. Like if you can't think of anything for the pre-Stellaris arc between this one and Stellaris you can work on the rewrite until you find your inspiration again and vice versa?

The Persians’ advance had slowed to a crawl due to Jerusalem’s “dumb as bricks” strategy. Funny how they took our own “dumb as bricks” strategy and made it even dumber.
I guess that General took Heinrich's plan too well.

No matter how hard I try, I’ll never be as good as Chancellor Kirova. I can see why Willie liked her so much, even though she’s known me for far longer. No, I am absolutely not jealous!
A part of me would have loved to have seen a throwdown of words between Olga and Gunduz.

Not fair, not frakking fair! Why the hell does Jerusalem get literally everything handed to it on a silver platter, while we have to move mountains and pull off miracles to even have a glimpse of victory, and even then it can all be undone and reversed with another damn silver platter?! Sometimes, I swear the universe is out to get us. Ahura Mazda has a horrible sense of humor.
This got me wondering if the Worm has anything to do with this even if it is just the Worm enhancing the fallings that people already have?

But it was the only plan they had that wasn’t essentially “roll over and pray for a quick death.” Gunduz would have to roll the dice and hope for the best. At least the chance of victory, even if it was slim, would not be zero.
As someone that has seen a little bit of the Naruto anime and read a few Naruto Fanfics I hope that Gunduz does not have Tsunade's level of bad luck when it comes to gambling.

In essence, the plan called for her and Wilhelmina to bait Gaugamela into attacking. Using targeted press releases, the princess would make her presence in Isfahan known to the committee. Although it was common knowledge she was already there, the committee had not acted on it yet. They would specifically target Elias Anhorn. Willie had always said that Elias was obsessed with killing her, even ordering his own troops to stand down so he could do it himself, which allowed her to escape. By playing on this fixation, they could goad Elias into personally leading Gaugamela into Isfahan. They could then do the same with Theodor Tesla, who similarly fixated on his sister. Theodor had already been spotted in Basra at the Gaugamela hub, so it wouldn’t be too much of a leap to get him to join the invasion. Then as soon as Gaugamela crossed the border and made for Isfahan, Gunduz and Wilhelmina would throw everything they had at the Crusaders, focusing on taking out both Elias and Theodor. If necessary, she would have the Artesh fight all across Persia, from the border to the front door of Ali Qapu. With any luck, their capture, humiliation, or even deaths would demoralize the enemy, throw the Crusader army into disarray, and provoke a power struggle in Berlin. After that? Well, she would worry about it when she got there.
Hopefully it will be something like OTL's 1902 Battle of Warsaw or Miracle on the Vistula.

Some dismissed Gaugamela as harmless or overblown. Gunduz shut those deniers down instantly.
Me yelling in my head: YOU IDIOTS. IT WAS THAT KIND OF THINKING IS WHAT GOT US INTO THIS MESS IN THE FIRST PLACE!?!?!?!?!

On the other hand I am glad Gunduz was able to putt a lid on that can of worms if only temporarily.

These kids are a lost cause. Gunduz turned to Angelica and Tania, who were playing cards at one of the tables. “Please tell me at least one of you have something I can use.”
Gunduz sighed. She ended up trusting those six fools. She hoped she wouldn’t regret it. If things went south, she would have lost her four best scientists. I really hope they pull it off.
I do find it funny that Elias has his mad scientist in the form of Theodor and Gunduz has her own mad scientist. I think Gunduz has it worse since there is six of them. :p

“It’s time to put our plan into motion,” Gunduz said, “Once the festivities are over, begin evacuating everyone in Isfahan.”
I feel like when we get to this battle one song that would fit would be The Final Countdown by Europe.

Neat to see an update on my birthday
Happy birthday. Even if it is a day late.

You really feel like the end is near after this update. With everyone seeming to be in a race to the bottom I can see both sides eventually breaking into museums and storehouses and using WWII era weapons' and making them cursed like you saw in Call of Duty Vanguard.

Nice, happy birthday! P5R’s a great game, hope you enjoy it.
Thanks. Aside from playing Pokémon in my childhood and familiarity with a few FF games, I haven't played that many JRPGS and I'm used to playing western RPGS like Bioware or Bethesda games, but I'm enjoying what I've played of Persona so far, helps that they've started coming out on Steam recently and they're no longer PS exclusive. I'm also considering checking out the Trails series eventually due to its focus on worldbuilding, kinda like those western RPGS I've mentioned before.

Also, when I started P4G, I may have followed in Olga and Wihelmina‘s footsteps and named Yu after Anders.:D
My main intent with Gunduz’s line was to reference my funny option text from the event where Persia almost abolished its monarchy, where I made the AI take the option that said “Remember what happened to every single republic ever?” Although she is a lot like Wilhelmina in many beliefs and preferences, Gunduz is certainly very conservative when it comes to the monarchy. For that matter, most 21st century meritocratic monarchs were, since they followed the Roman system where the monarch serves as an additional check on the civilian government’s actions.

In the Reich, this arose out of Otto seeking to preserve for himself and his successors a way to prevent another Markos Angelos from gaining power. But all this did was create a weak point in the meritocratic system as the Kaiser can keep the rest of the system in check, but nobody keeps the monarchy itself in check. That makes the monarchy the weakest link in the system, because whoever controls the monarchy can by extension control the entire rest of the system. The Reich then proceeded to export this system to everyone else in Schengen between 1946 and 2030, even to countries which lacked the historical context behind giving the monarchy such unchecked power. Nobody noticed how Otto, for all his intents at creating a modern representative government based on popular sovereignty, simply slapped such institutions on top of an existing absolute monarchy without that monarchy making any concessions in return.

Persia operates under the same system, and Gunduz doesn’t see it because she’s the shahbanu. She was raised in such a system. She benefits from it and sees nothing wrong with keeping things as they are. So naturally she assumes this is the only way it can be done, because it’s the only way she’s seen it done. All of the history books talk about the failure of Nsorala or the Corporate Republic of Kanata or the Republic of Ethiopia, not to mention all of the equalist republics and their brutality. Then there’s the elephant in the room that is Yinal’s plan to make Persia a republic—to the history books, a Persian republic would end up no different from all those other failed experiments. Gunduz believes the current system is the only one that works and that there is no historical precedent for any other way. So she’s predictably worried when Wilhelmina insists on cutting off the Roman monarchy from the civilian government. If that happens, wouldn’t the Reich effectively become a republic? And what would the monarchy even do if it isn’t part of the political process?

Oh yeah, and I suppose China’s constitutional monarchy falls into the same trap due to the monarchy still having significant influence and soft power, if not actual political power.

Eventually, Gunduz is going to get a front row seat to why exactly absolute monarchy, even one disguised within a liberal meritocratic framework, is a bad thing. Because as they say, “I didn’t expect the leopards to eat MY face!”
A part of me feels like the Indonesian democratic republic being successful could've avoided all this mess, as it would show the Reich and other nations that a strong monarchy is not the only method for a good government, but sadly that didn't happen.

Also, I think it's ironic that both the Hohenzollernverse and Annionaverse Reichs made the same mistake of concentrating too much political power into the monarchy at the expense of more representative institutions. Guess you could say both sides are the same huh.:p

Last edited:
I look forward to it. Also I had an idea. Mabey you can switch between the two when ever you get writers block. Like if you can't think of anything for the pre-Stellaris arc between this one and Stellaris you can work on the rewrite until you find your inspiration again and vice versa?
I was thinking of doing a soft timeskip for the modern day arc, where I’d still post 21st century gameplay chapters but not story chapters, much like I used to do. Instead of a modern day story arc, I’d focus on the medieval story and occasionally post rewritten gameplay chapters from the 11th-12th centuries. There’d be a couple tie-ins with the modern day once that story returns.
I guess that General took Heinrich's plan too well.
Task failed successfully.
A part of me would have loved to have seen a throwdown of words between Olga and Gunduz.
That could still be arranged via flashback.
This got me wondering if the Worm has anything to do with this even if it is just the Worm enhancing the fallings that people already have?
Nope. As I’ve said before, I don’t want to involve the Worm in this arc. Even if it’s indirectly involved, it still undermines humanity’s agency and responsibility.
As someone that has seen a little bit of the Naruto anime and read a few Naruto Fanfics I hope that Gunduz does not have Tsunade's level of bad luck when it comes to gambling.
Unfortunately I haven’t seen Naruto so I don’t get that reference.
Hopefully it will be something like OTL's 1902 Battle of Warsaw or Miracle on the Vistula.
Could be. Or it could be a heroic last stand like the 300 Spartans at Thermopylae (even if there were more than 300 guys there).
Me yelling in my head: YOU IDIOTS. IT WAS THAT KIND OF THINKING IS WHAT GOT US INTO THIS MESS IN THE FIRST PLACE!?!?!?!?!

On the other hand I am glad Gunduz was able to putt a lid on that can of worms if only temporarily.
But at what cost?
I do find it funny that Elias has his mad scientist in the form of Theodor and Gunduz has her own mad scientist. I think Gunduz has it worse since there is six of them
And one of them is Thea Tesla. Both sides have a Tesla with them.
I feel like when we get to this battle one song that would fit would be The Final Countdown by Europe
I do have an appropriate track to play, which I picked a while ago, but I won’t say what that is yet. Here’s a hint, though: I already mentioned its name somewhere in this batch.
You really feel like the end is near after this update. With everyone seeming to be in a race to the bottom I can see both sides eventually breaking into museums and storehouses and using WWII era weapons' and making them cursed like you saw in Call of Duty Vanguard.
I will be mentioning some older weapons and military vehicles in the upcoming chapters (besides Enonon, of course). We haven’t gotten to the point where any side has to dig out 80+ year old weapons like the real Russian Army’s done recently, at least for now.
Thanks. Aside from playing Pokémon in my childhood and familiarity with a few FF games, I haven't played that many JRPGS and I'm used to playing western RPGS like Bioware or Bethesda games, but I'm enjoying what I've played of Persona so far, helps that they've started coming out on Steam recently and they're no longer PS exclusive. I'm also considering checking out the Trails series eventually due to its focus on worldbuilding, kinda like those western RPGS I've mentioned before.
For me it’s about the opposite. I was an almost exclusively Pokemon player (I might even describe my past self as an elitist) since I was very young, and I played only a handful of other non-Pokemon games like the PDX ones. Due to certain things about Sword and Shield that I don't feel like getting into, I broke that mindset and picked up Fire Emblem Three Houses on a whim, opening up the larger JRPG world to me. I played through every FE game from the 4th on, got extremely emotionally invested in Xenoblade despite having only started the first game last year (3's my personal game of the year for 2022), and recently got into the Tales series with Vesperia which I really loved. The Trails series is also on my list to play eventually, as it has a lot of fanbase overlap and similar storytelling with Xenoblade. Typically my attention focuses on a mix of conventional JRPGs and tactical ones. I haven't been able to break into Final Fantasy for various reasons (mainly hardware related), but I have caught up on the plots and characters of each mainline game except FF Tactics, which I want to play at some point. I have a similar issue (again, mainly hardware related) when it comes to western RPGs, so I haven't played too many. I've had Assassin's Creed Unity for a long time but never got around to it because my computer couldn't run it.
Also, when I started P4G, I may have followed in Olga and Wihelmina‘s footsteps and named Yu after Anders
I'm honored you did that! Definitely fits the themes of that game.

I did something similar a few years ago. When I replayed Pokemon BW, I named my Reshiram after Fox Mulder, and when I played XY, I named my main character after Angela Hansen.
A part of me feels like the Indonesian democratic republic being successful could've avoided all this mess, as it would show the Reich and other nations that a strong monarchy is not the only method for a good government, but sadly that didn't happen.
All things considered, Nsorala only ended due to being absorbed into both Tawantinsuyu and Neurhomania, and most of the various merchant and peasant republics within the Reich, if they survived to the end of CK2, likely still existed until being integrated into the 19th century administrative structure. Nsorala might have been fondly remembered as an experiment cut short before its time, while the republics within the Reich would have been written off as only working in specific local and cultural context not applicable for a whole nation.

I do want to retcon at least a few of the native Eimerican states into having always been republics, like the Haudenosaunee. But they would have always existed as such and wouldn't have inspired much in the way of modern republicanism. As an analogy, it would be like how Venice, Genoa, the Swiss cantons, and Oliver Cromwell's republic existed as republics, in some cases for centuries, but didn't set off a larger movement of republicanism (I think I'm horribly simplifying everything here, but that's how I see it).

The Eimerican Federation is the closest thing this world has to a representative non-dictatorial republic. The office of the head of state is not a hereditary title, even though it technically isn't directly chosen by the people (I haven't worked out the details of how the Federation works at the highest level, but it probably works similar to the EU). It does have a symbolic monarch, but he is little more than an ambassador with a fancy name. It's a lot like how the early Republic of China wanted Puyi confined to the Forbidden City and kept as a cultural ambassador with no political power. Perhaps if it survives this war, it could serve as an example of possible republican rule at the national level.

There's the other three supernations as well, but they wouldn't have gone the same way as the Eimericans. I haven't outlined how the other ones work yet, but I imagine all of them use a similar system as the real life Malaysian monarchy, where the head of state rotates between those of the member states in a certain order. The CAC is only made up of three countries, while East Africa is more of an extremely close free trade and mutual defense pact between Abyssinia and its southern neighbor. Srivijaya has more member states, but it doesn't have the political cohesion and unity the EF has. If anything, the EF has the potential to make republicanism a viable and mainstream political system, but it has to survive this war first.
Also, I think it's ironic that both the Hohenzollernverse and Annionaverse Reichs made the same mistake of concentrating too much political power into the monarchy at the expense of more representative institutions. Guess you could say both sides are the same huh.:p
Even though they both initially targeted opposing institutions, with the Annionaverse Reich weakening the civilian bureaucracy in favor of the nobility and the Hohenzollernverse Reich doing the opposite, they still ended up with the same problem in the monarchy being too powerful and ultimately undermining the will of the people. He may be called Otto the Great, but he wasn't perfect.

Reactions:
I was thinking of doing a soft timeskip for the modern day arc, where I’d still post 21st century gameplay chapters but not story chapters, much like I used to do. Instead of a modern day story arc, I’d focus on the medieval story and occasionally post rewritten gameplay chapters from the 11th-12th centuries. There’d be a couple tie-ins with the modern day once that story returns.
A part of me is conflicted about that. On one hand if you just do gameplay updates it might be able to be updated faster instead of the multiple month gap between them. However like I have said before I have come to like the story updates as well because of both the characters and that it gives you something to read while you what for the gameplay updates.

Mabey you could do what you did in EU4 with chapters like Chapter 62: The Girl Who Heard Angels or in HOI3 The Visitor, Part 1-28 in were they were not story updates like the ones in NWO such as The Search and The Regency but they still gave a human element to the story?

That could still be arranged via flashback.
You could do it during the battle with Elias in were it looks like Wilhelmina might die but she looks back on various moment's and the one between Olga and Gunduz is part of that and it gives her the energy to keep going?

Nope. As I’ve said before, I don’t want to involve the Worm in this arc. Even if it’s indirectly involved, it still undermines humanity’s agency and responsibility.
That fine. I do wonder how you are going to reintroduce the supernatural elements again since going from supernatural, non-supernatural and back to supernatural could be a bit jarring.

Could be. Or it could be a heroic last stand like the 300 Spartans at Thermopylae (even if there were more than 300 guys there).
Also a mistake. I meant to say 1920 not 1902.

For me it’s about the opposite. I was an almost exclusively Pokemon player (I might even describe my past self as an elitist) since I was very young, and I played only a handful of other non-Pokemon games like the PDX ones. Due to certain things about Sword and Shield that I don't feel like getting into, I broke that mindset and picked up Fire Emblem Three Houses on a whim, opening up the larger JRPG world to me. I played through every FE game from the 4th on, got extremely emotionally invested in Xenoblade despite having only started the first game last year (3's my personal game of the year for 2022), and recently got into the Tales series with Vesperia which I really loved. The Trails series is also on my list to play eventually, as it has a lot of fanbase overlap and similar storytelling with Xenoblade. Typically my attention focuses on a mix of conventional JRPGs and tactical ones. I haven't been able to break into Final Fantasy for various reasons (mainly hardware related), but I have caught up on the plots and characters of each mainline game except FF Tactics, which I want to play at some point. I have a similar issue (again, mainly hardware related) when it comes to western RPGs, so I haven't played too many. I've had Assassin's Creed Unity for a long time but never got around to it because my computer couldn't run it.
For me I agree with CaptainAlvious in that most of my RPG experiences have been from games like Mass Effect and the Witcher with me never getting into JRPG's that much. But a part of me is really interested in media that don't portray the typical Medieval Europe in fantasy or Space America in Sci-Fi anymore. Some of the recent examples being movies like Dune which is more Islamic/Arabic influences and games like Black Myth: Wukong a Chinese indie game based on the book Journey to the West. However since the only language that I know is English that limits me on the type of pop culture I can consume.

I'm honored you did that! Definitely fits the themes of that game.

I did something similar a few years ago. When I replayed Pokemon BW, I named my Reshiram after Fox Mulder, and when I played XY, I named my main character after Angela Hansen.
For sure, through it's a little weird for me seeing a German name for a Japanese protag. Also, I forgot to mention this earlier, but for P5R I combined Joker's Manga name (Akira Kurusu) and his anime name (Ren Amamiya) into Akiren Kuramiya cause I saw that in the comments of a P5 video and I thought that sounded cool.:D
For me I agree with CaptainAlvious in that most of my RPG experiences have been from games like Mass Effect and the Witcher with me never getting into JRPG's that much. But a part of me is really interested in media that don't portray the typical Medieval Europe in fantasy or Space America in Sci-Fi anymore. Some of the recent examples being movies like Dune which is more Islamic/Arabic influences and games like Black Myth: Wukong a Chinese indie game based on the book Journey to the West. However since the only language that I know is English that limits me on the type of pop culture I can consume.
I agree, as an Elder Scrolls fan who's first game was Skyrim, I do prefer Morrowind's more alien Middle Eastern inspired setting over Oblivion's traditional fantasy depiction of Cyrodil or Skyrim's Nordic setting. It's good to see Fantasy or Sci-Fi stories that do something original and unique as opposed to emulating Tolkien or Star Trek.

Last edited:
Fortune favors the bold, and that right there is a very bold plan, alas, I fear the plan is gonna go awry as soon as it occurs, you know the old saying after all, Men plan, God laughs, hopefully the laughter is on Jerusalem's expense.