The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Up in Flames

Berlin - April 15, 2025

In the early morning, Wilhelmina shot awake, dispelling her nightmare. It wasn’t the usual one she had been plagued with recently. This one was of fire. The details stuck to her, unlike with the other one. Something was burning. Parts of the ceiling fell as the flames ate away at it. And she could just make out the murals painted on the walls and ceiling...old Second Empire Christian iconography. She knew this place. She picked up her phone and dialed 119.

“Hello, you’ve reached the emergency line...” the operator said.

“You need to send the fire department to Hagia Sophia, now!” Wilhelmina said.

“Ma’am, calm down, Hagia Sophia is fine,” the operator said, “There is no fire there, or else we would have...”

The operator stopped to listen to someone else.

“My God,” the operator finally said.

---

Wilhelm Karl rushed to the situation room, where Thierry and Merkel had already gathered with the rest of the cabinet.

“How bad is it?” he asked.

“Bad, but fortunately they caught it early,” Heinrich said, “Now it’s just a matter of stopping it from getting worse.”

“That is a two thousand year old cathedral filled with priceless artifacts,” Wilhelm Karl said, “The crown of thorns, the pieces of the True Cross, and the other relics Friedrich the Great found in the First Crusade. They must be saved.”

“We are already on it, sir,” Thierry said, “We’re trying our best.”

“All we can do is wait,” Heinrich said.

Constantinople

“Theresa, wake up,” Vincent said.

Theresa stirred. “Vincent, it’s like four in the morning, what could possibly...”

Her eyes opened, allowing her to make out the lights coming in from the window. They looked like fire. She was now fully awake.

“Oh no,” she said.

Outside, she could see Hagia Sophia from her house. It was engulfed in flames. Theresa immediately grabbed her pen and notepad and got dressed. Vincent got the car keys.

---

Anders woke up to Diana talking on her phone.

“No, Heinrich, I don’t believe it’s foul play,” she said, “Still, I hope it isn’t that bad.”

Anders picked up his phone. The lock screen was filled with at least a dozen notifications from various news sources, all saying the same thing: Hagia Sophia was burning.

---

Vincent hastily parked the car in Augustaeon Square, and he and Theresa got out. Up close, the atmosphere felt apocalyptic. Flames leaped from the burning roof, while the iconic dome was shrouded in thick black smoke. Alarms feebly echoed inside. Theresa could only watch, aghast, as the classical masterpiece at the heart of Christendom convulsed in the flames. Around her, firefighters rushed into the building, carrying fire hoses with them, while camera crews hung back to broadcast the event to horrified millions around the world.

“Hey,” Anders said, running over, “I got here as fast as I could.”

“Thanks for showing up,” Theresa said, “What a tragedy. I don’t know what I can do.”

“I don’t know either,” Anders said.

“Hopefully the firefighters stop the fire from spreading,” Theresa said, “The dome could collapse at any moment.”

They noticed someone rushing towards the cathedral, following the firefighters inside before the police could stop him. Anders barely caught Elias’ signature eyepatch before the man disappeared into the dark interior.

---

The interior of Hagia Sophia was pitch dark and filled with smoke. Elias had brought a mask, but he doubted it would work for long. He had to hurry. His feet splashed in puddles forming on the floor from broken pipes. Occasionally he saw sparks flying from burnt cables. His heart beat loudly in his chest. A part of him wanted to turn back now. But he remembered how he had rushed here as fast as he could when he heard what was happening. He and Gertrude were in town for a Shepherds’ Brotherhood event. She was still outside, having bought time for him to run in after the firefighters. While they were here to put out the fires, he was here to rescue some of the most valuable treasures in Christianity.

“Hey, what are you doing here?” one asked him.

“I’m just doing my part!” Elias said.

The firefighters turned their hoses on the roaring flames in front of them.

“We’ll handle the fires!” they said. “You find the relics! We’ll send someone to help you!”

Just what he wanted. He ran to the back of the cathedral. From what he remembered, the relics were kept near the altar, so he went there. Just as he entered the main room and sighted the altar on the other side, he heard a loud crack and then a rumble coming from above. Looking up, he saw cracks running across the ancient murals of Christ and the apostles, fragments falling off as the flames consumed them. Then they gave way as the dome completely collapsed. Throwing caution to the wind, he rushed across the chapel and dived for the altar just as the remnants of the dome slammed into the floor behind him. He got to his feet and was relieved to see the area around the altar was untouched.

“Hey!” a firefighter said. “You okay?”

“I’m fine!” Elias said. “Still looking for the relics!”

He hurriedly searched the altar until he found what he was looking for, a metal strongbox embedded into the wall. It was sealed shut with a combination lock.

“It’s locked!” he said. “I need the combination!”

“We’re kind of busy!” the firefighter said.

Elias looked around him. The flames began spreading across the dome fragments, coming dangerously close to him. If they reached the wooden altar, it would be all over. It would take too long to call for the combination. He had to act now. Think, think. What would the Church use as the combination for its holy relics? It had to be a sequence symbolically important, perhaps central to the faith. Perhaps the date of a holiday? The date of a historical event central to the Church? Elias looked at the rubble and saw the face of Saint Wilhelmina looking back as it was consumed by flames. He had an idea. He didn’t know if it would work, but he at least had to try. He put in 8-21-26. August 21, 1126. The Mending of the Schism. He could barely see the numbers on the lock in the morning darkness, so he prayed he got it right.

The lock clicked, and the strongbox opened. Inside were the relics: the crown of thorns and the fragments of the True Cross. Fortunately, everything else was at the Temple of Solomon. He quickly picked up a nearby crate, carefully but speedily put the relics inside, and rushed away from the altar just as the first flames began biting into it. By now, the firefighters had cleared a path across the dome rubble, keeping the flames at bay with their hoses.

“Go!” they said. “Get those relics out of here!”

“There may be more in the back!” Elias replies. “Take everything you can carry and get out!”

He rushed across the rubble, stumbling over the uneven terrain. The ancient bricks shifted under his weight, sometimes threatening to trip him and send the precious cargo flying out of his hands and into a fire. He put his foot down on the remains of one mural and winced, both at the necessity of damaging a historical artifact and the spraining of his ankle at the same time. But he thought nothing of it and continued.

Finally, he emerged through the front door and stumbled outside. The sun was just starting to come up now, and he could see the crowds jamming the entire area. The police had also arrived, not to arrest him but to take custody of the relics. Commissioner Kresge approached him.

“Elias Anhorn, what you did in there was reckless and dangerous,” he said, “But from the bottom of my heart and on behalf of this city, I thank you for saving our relics. Now, the crate?”

Elias’ hands had gripped the crate so tightly they felt like stone and ice, even as the temperatures around him felt worse than any Königsberg summer. It was so difficult to pry his hands off the crate now, but he gradually did it. Kresge took the crate and gently placed it in a waiting police transport van.

“Don’t worry, Anhorn, we’ll take it from here,” Kresge said, “They’ll be safe with us.”

He got in the van, and Elias watched it drive away, taking with it the attention of the thousands of people who stood silently on the street, watching in utter shock. It felt like it was the end of the world from how everyone was reacting. Although the van was long gone, everyone remained rooted in place, still watching the burning cathedral. Gertrude put a blanket around Elias, who barely noticed. He didn’t say anything for the next few hours, only watching as more and more firefighters entered and the flames were slowly put out. When the smoke finally subsided, the sun was high in the sky, probably already starting its afternoon descent. Now Elias could finally see what was left. Only a charred husk of the ancient cathedral remained standing in the heart of Constantinople and Christendom. Its iconic dome was gone.

“...oh...the humanity...” he finally said.

United Nations, Vienna - December 21

“Frankly, I am disappointed with all of you,” Gertrude said.

Now, if she had said that at a CB campaign strategy meeting, that would’ve been nothing special. But she was now saying it to the ambassadors of every single nation, including quite a few heads of government.

“You know what I’m disappointed about?” she said. “Everything you have and haven’t done. Not a single country here has even suggested to reprimand those responsible for the continued burning of the Amazon, let alone vote to reprimand or pass a resolution. So the remaining KRA state governments have continued to burn down the world’s rainforest, making up baseless allegations of conspiracy to steal natural resources and subvert local traditions. All you have done is approve an amount far less than the budget of the average Babelsberg blockbuster or Premier League transfer fees. And this is only for the Amazon. What about Penglai? Its wildfires are choking its cities and destroying towns in the outback. Almost thirty people have been killed, over three thousand homes destroyed, a little over half a billion animals including koalas and kangaroos burned to death, and the smoke has drifted across the Pacific to freaking New Berlin, which is still choking on Amazon smoke, and yet not a single one of you has even brought up the issue! And this is for fires alone. Jakarta is falling into the ocean just as quickly as Rotterdam, Gunnolfsfell, and Copenhagen are. East Africa is dry, and its people are starving, leading to poverty, migration, and violence. Meanwhile, instead of being heroes like my husband was in April, global billionaires raised a fortune to ‘save’ the remains Hagia Sophia so they can have their names put on the thank you card and maybe engraved on the bricks in the rebuilt dome, and yet none of them have done a goddamn thing about the Amazon or Penglai OR ANY OF THE OTHER FIRES RAVAGING OUR OTHER FORESTS!”

The dignitaries squirmed in their seats. Gertrude’s rage continued building, and she could only continue to let it all out. She was angry, and they were going to listen to her speak. She was done shutting up. She was done being nice. It’s time she took a stand.

“These last ten years, I’ve had to think carefully about everything I do, everything I say, even what I’m wearing, what I’m eating, what methods of transportation I use,” Gertrude said, “Everything I say will reach other people, so I need to think ahead. The problem is, NOBODY IS LISTENING TO ME! I HAVE BEEN WARNING YOU ABOUT HOW OUR PLANET IS GOING UP IN FLAMES LIKE HAGIA SOPHIA AND NONE OF YOU LISTENED! NONE OF YOU EVEN LIFTED A FINGER TO CHANGE! BUT WAIT, YOU SAY, THERE ARE RECORD NUMBERS OF PEOPLE SWEARING OFF AIR TRAVEL. AIRLINERS ARE LOSING MONEY WHILE RAILWAYS ARE SEEING A RESURGENCE. OF COURSE SOMETHING IS HAPPENING, BUT LOOK AT THE EMISSIONS CURVE. IT IS STILL NOT ENOUGH. BASICALLY NOTHING IS HAPPENING!”

She stopped to take a breath.

“You all aren’t doing enough,” she continued, “Instead you’ve deluded yourselves into think if you don’t see a problem, there is no problem. You think because it will happen in the future and you’re all old enough, you won’t have to worry about it. But your kids will. And your grandkids will pay the price for your inaction. You will die of old age, and the next generation will die of climate change. You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing and destroying their future in front of their very eyes. We are in a mass extinction, and all you people can talk about is money and fairy tales and eternal economic growth. SHAME ON YOU!”

Well now, a tragedy with the worst of it avoided thanks to Elias that happens to allow Gertrude’s message on the rainforest to be heard all the louder. How... convenient.

Well now, a tragedy with the worst of it avoided thanks to Elias that happens to allow Gertrude’s message on the rainforest to be heard all the louder. How... convenient.
How convenient for Elias to be right on the scene to save the day soon after the fire starts...

Justinian weeps, for his greatest gift to the Empire and all of Christendom is in tatters.

Agreed on the other statements, it's rather convenient for Elias to be in the right place at the right time. Very...odd eh?

By the way if you all are still looking forward to the Monsterverse update do not worry, I am working on a few major changes to that update, plus adding tidbits as to what happened to the franchise following the Sentinel leaks, moved the dates of a couple movies and added three new original ones (Rodan, Mothra and Anguirus' solo movies respectively).

Justinian weeps, for his greatest gift to the Empire and all of Christendom is in tatters.

Agreed on the other statements, it's rather convenient for Elias to be in the right place at the right time. Very...odd eh?

By the way if you all are still looking forward to the Monsterverse update do not worry, I am working on a few major changes to that update, plus adding tidbits as to what happened to the franchise following the Sentinel leaks, moved the dates of a couple movies and added three new original ones (Rodan, Mothra and Anguirus' solo movies respectively).
where's Jet Jaguar? Is he safe? Is he alright?

Your Cooperation is Appreciated

Zhongyanggu Valley Region, Fusang - February 27, 2026

Wilhelmina’s helicopter flew across the expanses of flat land between Jinshan and the great Fusang Range, but she saw no land below her. As far as the eye could see, she could only see deep water filled with debris from drowned forests and towns.

“You were right,” Tsai said, “It was bad.”

“Hopefully we saved more lives,” Wilhelmina said.

“How did you know?” Tsai said. “About what was going to happen?”

“I don’t know,” Wilhelmina said, “I just had the feeling something bad was going to happen here and we had to get people out. How could this even happen? The plains of central Fusang briefly turned into an inland sea?”

“The rains were bad these last few months,” Tsai said, “And it all poured into this area. It’s surrounded by foothills and mountains. A basin where water collects. Something that usually happens once every two or three centuries.”

“Did we get everyone out?” Wilhelmina said.

“We did as best as we could,” Tsai said, “Thordarsson approved an aid package. The other Eimerican states are sending help soon.”

“And what about China?” Wilhelmina said.

“My hands are tied,” Tsai said, “The Guomindang majority in the Legislative Yuan has voted against aid.”

“How could they be so callous?” Wilhelmina said.

“They want to align with Zhao,” Tsai said, “I’ve seen Representative Han’s platform. Like Zhao, he wants to reshape our government into a system of national cooperation.”

“What’s that?” Wilhelmina said.

“All five branches of government are to be aligned to serve the state, with checks and balances eliminated in the name of the people,” Tsai said.

“Han can’t just do that, can he?” Wilhelmina said.

“It’s technically legal if you say nothing about subverting the checks and balances,” Tsai said, “Like what Zhao did. He passed the laws, then when the courts spoke out, he passed a law establishing a mandatory retirement age, which forced most of the justices to retire and allow him to appoint his own candidates. When he was going to lose, he used his media connections to censor the opposition and suppress examiners in opposition supporting areas while giving advantages and incentives to his supporters.”

“This guy is despicable,” Wilhelmina said.

“Weirdly enough he was once one of the most liberal people I knew,” Tsai said, “We were friends in the Tangwai movement. He was a law student back then, one of the leaders of the Penglai independence movement. Back then, he was domineering…but also sincere and likable. He formed Qimili as a liberal movement dedicated to Penglai’s independence.”

“What changed?” Wilhelmina asked.

“He became Gaojiang,” Tsai said, “He did whatever it took to win. He embraced Confucian identity politics and Penglai nationalism to appeal to the nationalist right. And with the opposition fragmented and unpopular, he won a majority. He never looked back.”

Tsai looked at the waters below. “That sincere law student I once knew had been drowned by the floodwaters of nationalism.”

“Perhaps you can talk to him again,” Wilhelmina said, “Remind him what you two accomplished together all those years ago.”

“No, we’ve drifted too far apart now,” Tsai said, “If we ever meet again in the same room, it will be as enemies. I can’t change that, unfortunately. He’s made his choice, and I must make mine as well. He wants to protect his country first? Well, I’ll do the same thing.”

Berlin - March 6

“And that concludes the report,” Diana said.

“Interesting,” Heinrich said, “So the Mongol bot network is still around?”

“Yes, and they were responsible for the hacks in Fusang and Nepal,” Diana said, “They seem to be based out of Korea now.”

“Was the Chinese government responsible?” Heinrich said.

“They have no motive to do so, and there’s no evidence implicating them other than the origin of the cyberattacks, but I can’t rule it out,” Diana said.

“Troubling news coming from China,” Heinrich said, “Perhaps they’re test runs for an attack on our Internet infrastructure?”

“The attacks they used were primitive,” Diana said, “Tiger’s Defense will make short work of them if they try to attack any Schengen member.”

“Still, we need to monitor this situation,” Heinrich said.

“Of course,” Diana said.

“I’ll get in touch with Bradziunas again,” Heinrich said, “Been a while since I talked with him.”

“How’s he doing lately?” Diana said.

“Still the same old Bradziunas,” Heinrich said, “But I hears rumors he may be planning to run for chancellor when Valiulis retires.”

“Hopeful chancellor Bradziunas...” Diana said. “Reminds me of a friend of mine.”

“Well, I suppose I should be on my way,” Heinrich said, “I need to give this report to the rest of the cabinet.”

“Of course,” Diana said, “It was nice talking to you.”

“Likewise,” Heinrich said.

After Heinrich left, Diana got up and left her office. She took the elevator to the next floor down and entered the newest wing of the building: the X-Division wing. Here, dozens of agents were at work processing cases that had fallen through the cracks of the rest of the agency. Weird and unexplained cases had dropped to almost zero, and the few that were investigated turned up nothing at all. So the division turned back to its old targets, corruption and white collar crime, but even those cases were few now due to budget cuts and legal reforms. Most of her agents sat at desks now, spending their time reading and filing case reports. They didn’t even bother to look at her when she walked past.

One agent did though. Angelica Haus looked up and waved when she noticed Diana. The girl from Alençon was always cheerful nowadays, despite her family's circumstances. Diana didn’t know how she did it.

“Director,” Angelica said, “I didn’t expect you to be visiting.”

“I just felt like taking a trip down memory lane,” Diana said, “I really like what you’ve done with the place. How goes the investigation?”

“Into Getrude Anhorn?” Angelica said. “Unfortunately, we didn’t find much. Nothing conclusive we can use.”

“That’s weird, because Theresa is following a lead right now,” Diana said.

“Well, send me the lead and I’ll check it my way,” Angelica said.

“I’ll do that,” Diana said, “Just keep at it. I feel like there’s something we’re all missing.”

“Permission to speak freely, Director?” Angelica said.

“You always had it,” Diana said.

“Honestly, sometimes this investigation feels like you’re just fulfilling a personal vendetta against Gertrude Anhorn with nothing to back it up,” Angelica said, “It’s not going to look good to the public if it continues without any developments.”

“Well, make sure there are developments, Agent Haus,” Diana said, “There is something. I just know there is.”

Humboldt family house, Mainz - August 21, 2026

The steaks on the grill smelled so delicious. Alex couldn’t wait to taste Aunt Anna’s cooking. He was currently in the backyard, watching the Rhine flow by, while everyone around him chatted about things. The whole family, plus a few guests, was here for Mending Day. Although it was the nine hundredth occurrence of the holiday and there would be massive celebrations in the major cities, to the Humboldts and Hansens this was just another holiday get together.

“The attacks just won’t stop,” Anders said, “All I did was point out how 400 media outlets were recently ‘donated’ to Vox Dei for whatever reason, and now the Mongol bots are after me.”

“Ugh, tell me about it,” Theresa said, “I know how you feel.”

“Did you hear some of the conspiracy theories they were promoting?” Anders said. “Absolutely ludicrous and out there! Even by my own standards.”

“I never thought I’d hear you say that,” Angela said.

“At least you’re fine with your hospital job,” Anders said.

“Things are rough there too,” Angela said, “Nobody’s listening to my suggestions. People are being put on the wrong or inefficient treatments because my colleagues aren’t using the proper ones I’m suggesting. Then another guy suggests the same thing and then they act, applauding him for coming up with a brilliant solution. It’s not like 25 years ago.”

“Sounds like you should file a complaint with HR,” Theresa said.

“Of course I did that!” Angela said. “But what has HR done? Absolutely nothing.”

“At least I can pull rank at the Athanatoi,” Diana said, “But there are plenty of times when people walk up and ask me, ‘Why can’t you control your husband? He’s saying such treasonous things against the Kaiser’.”

“Treason?” Anders said. “Against the Kaiser? I was only doing research for an article on Kaiserin Consort Francesca.”

“And the Kaiser himself called you a liar on TiEfarmo,” Theresa said, “I think the hashtag goes #ZeitenLied or something?”

“Yeah, and it’s trending,” Diana said.

“Ugh, the nerve of some people,” Anders said.

Alex didn’t want to listen more.

“You okay?” Thea asked.

“Yeah,” Alex said, “It’s just painful listening to what my parents are going through.”

He groaned and massaged his injured side. “It’s painful enough dealing with this.”

“Totally agree,” Alexandra said, walking over, “Mom’s always stressed out. We can’t have our usual night outs like we used to.”

“I thought you and Magnus...” Thea said.

“Well yeah, I still go out with Magnus, it’s just not the same when I can’t do the same with Mom these days,” Alexandra said, “So I spend my time on my latest project.”

“Did you get my schematic?” Thea said. “For the oxygen electrolyzer?”

“Yeah, all I need is some regolith to test it out,” Alexandra said, “I’ve run enough simulations, and I want the real thing. I know we're not going back to the moon anytime soon, but still...”

“I wish I could work on my own schematic,”Alex said, “I’ve had it for years now and I’ve barely been able to touch it.”

“Hopefully things change at Tesla Dynamic,” Alexandra said.

“I doubt it,” Alex said.

“Same here,” Thea said, “Theo’s been acting really weirdly lately. It’s like he’s a completely different person.”

“Hey, if things go south there, email me,” Alexandra said, “I’ll try to ask around the Jet Propulsion Lab. You’ll have to move to Damascus though.”

“I’ll remember that,” Alex said.

“Don’t worry, Alex,” Alexandra said, “We’re family.”

“We’ll always have your back,” Thea said.

“Thanks,” Alex said.

Mainz airport - August 22

The Humboldts and Thea waited in line for the VSB security check, luggage in tow. Anders checked his passport once more.

“Can’t you like show your badge and, I don’t know, get us to a priority line?” he asked.

“I tried,” Diana said, “They weren’t impressed.”

“Your mom was allowed to bring a gun onto a plane as Director,” Anders said.

“That was 24 years ago and before 11/9,” Diana said.

“Seriously, I’m going to have to write a paper on this when I get back to the office,” Anders said.

They reached the head of the line, and a VSB agent checked Anders’ passport. He saw Anders’ name and immediately scowled.

“Sir, I’m going to have to ask you to step out of line,” he ordered.

“What?” Anders said. “What did I do?”

“Step out of line,” the agent repeated, “You do not have the right to say no.”

“What?!” Anders said.

“Dad, what’s going on?” Alex said.

“You can’t do this!” Anders said. “I’m a Roman citizen!”

“You do not have the right to explain yourself.” The agent grabbed Anders’ arm and slammed him against a table.

“Are you crazy?!” Thea said.

“You are under arrest for refusing to listen to my commands,” the agent said, “You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.”

Diana took out her Athanatoi badge. “Imperial Agent! Stand down, now!”

“I am legally obligated to protect our skies from any threats,” the agent said.

“On whose orders?” Diana said.

“It’s the law now,” the agent smugly said, “You have no jurisdiction here, Director.”

“What do you want?” Anders said, taking out his passport. "Look, I have a valid passport, right here!"

The agent pocketed Anders’ passport and handed him a sheet of paper. “Sign here.”

Anders read the paper. “‘I humbly apologize for the malicious lies I spread against His Imperial Majesty and the Imperial Throne which so damaged the order, stability, and reputation of this great Christian nation’...this is blatantly propaganda.”

“Well, if you want your passport back, you will sign it,” the agent said, “The alternative is I press charges of domestic terrorism.”

“I’ll call my lawyer,” Anders said, “I have a right to...”

“Listen, Humboldt,” the agent said, “You have no rights here. The Kaiser’s word is law, especially when backed up by Merkel’s administration. Now sign.”

“Make me,” Anders said.

More agents surrounded Diana, Alex, and Thea and prepared handcuffs.

“They will be charged with aiding and abetting a terrorist,” the agent said.

“Anders, don’t do it,” Diana said, “I’ll make some calls.”

Thea looked at the people waiting in line. “Are you just going to stand there and do nothing?”

Nobody replied. They just awkwardly averted their gazes. Thea sighed. Anders shook his head in defeat.

“Fine,” he said, “Give me a pen.”

“Thank you for your cooperation,” the agent said.

Tesla Dynamic office, Constantinople - August 24

Alex trudged into work. It was a Monday, and after what he went through over the weekend, he dreaded the rest of the week. He looked at the wrinkled paper on which he had draw his schematic all those years ago. Then he put it away again. How long would he have to wait?

“Humboldt,” Theodor said, walking over.

“Theodor,” Alex said, “I didn’t expect to see you this morning.”

“Me neither,” Theodor said, “But this is an urgent matter.”

“What seems to be the problem?” Alex said.

“You,” Theodor said.

“Me?!” Alex said.

“The VSB notified me of the incident in Mainz last Saturday,” Theodor said, “I understand your actions almost got my sister arrested on charges of terrorism?”

“That was not my doing,” Alex said, “It was an unlawful search and coercion of my father.”

“You were there anyways,” Theodor said, “You broke your promise. You put Thea in danger once again. My patience has run out.”

“No!” Alex said.

“I’m afraid you’re too much of a liability,” Theodor said, “You’ll only bring shame and ruin to my company and my family. You’re fired.”

“What?!” Alex said. “You can’t do that!”

“Yes I can,” Theodor said.

“I’m in a union!” Alex said.

“Which as you should know was just dissolved last week because its leaders were arrested for money laundering,” Theodor said, “CB has been cracking down hard on corruption lately, and I couldn’t agree more with their moves against the corrupt left. And don’t think Thea’s gone to change anything. I’ve already done the paperwork.”

“You can’t separate us,” Alex said.

“I doubt she'll stay with you once you're out of a job,” Theodor said, “I’ll give you the rest of the day to pack up your things and hand in your badge and equipment, then I want you gone.”

“Damn you,” Alex said.

Theodor casually walked away. “It’s my company, and I can do whatever the frak I want with it! Thank you for your cooperation.”

Perhaps it was time to talk to Alexandra…

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is what happens when you don’t have any formal restrictions on the Kaiser’s power, it becomes very easy for him to ignore liberal norms and meritocractic tradition and abuse his power, as Anders and his family learned here. Guess it’s kind of a bad thing we haven’t had real Hohenzollern tyrants until Wihelm Karl, guess that’s what happens when the Reich has seen authoritarianism come from outside the monarchy, as was the case with the Angeloi and Maximists. It becomes hard to see the source of corruption come from an Hohenzollern themselves.

This is what happens when you don’t have any formal restrictions on the Kaiser’s power, it becomes very easy for him to ignore liberal norms and meritocractic tradition and abuse his power, as Anders and his family learned here. Guess it’s kind of a bad thing we haven’t had real Hohenzollern tyrants until Wihelm Karl, guess that’s what happens when the Reich has seen authoritarianism come from outside the monarchy, as was the case with the Angeloi and Maximists. It becomes hard to see the source of corruption come from an Hohenzollern themselves.
That is somehow fortunate considering that many other monarchies had usually either had their powers taken away or killed when they are bad I mean look at England during the late middle ages.

Not a good week for the Humboldts, on just about every front. It's a rough fight when your opponent controls the match.

Wilhelm Karl is only part of the problem. The main problem is he doesn't enforce the norms and moderate the system as well as Otto did, allowing people to take advantage of it. We even see the culture start changing from the bottom up as people become more intolerant and illiberal since there's nobody at the top to show an example otherwise. As long as he doesn't step in and try to stop this, it will only get worse.
That is somehow fortunate considering that many other monarchies had usually either had their powers taken away or killed when they are bad I mean look at England during the late middle ages.
Something the Reich has never done in its 900 years. Legally, Wilhelm Karl still has the same powers and authority Friedrich the Glorious had. The problem is the whole system revolves around the whims of an absolute monarch who can change the rules either at will or through succession. Even Otto's attempt at devolving power to the people is incomplete because any future Kaiser can just roll it back if they want. The only restriction ever placed on a Kaiser's power was the guarantee of basic Augustinian rights, and that is also being hammered away at currently from how Anders was treated at this airport.
Not a good week for the Humboldts, on just about every front. It's a rough fight when your opponent controls the match.
Anders should be no stranger to his opponents controlling the match. But then again, the Syndicate/Sentinel never controlled the Kaiser himself.

Reactions:
Something the Reich has never done in its 900 years. Legally, Wilhelm Karl still has the same powers and authority Friedrich the Glorious had. The problem is the whole system revolves around the whims of an absolute monarch who can change the rules either at will or through succession. Even Otto's attempt at devolving power to the people is incomplete because any future Kaiser can just roll it back if they want. The only restriction ever placed on a Kaiser's power was the guarantee of basic Augustinian rights, and that is also being hammered away at currently from how Anders was treated at this airport.
Honestly, I am just waiting for Wihelm Karl to starting praising the Angeloi family and saying the saying.

Honestly, I am just waiting for Wihelm Karl to starting praising the Angeloi family and saying the saying.
Nah, he hates the Angeloi because they took power away from the Throne and tried to overthrow the Kaiser. He wants to rule in his own right.

I swear if this ends in your cop-out ending back in part 4 I am going to riot.
Technically it can’t because the Soviets are gone and it’s no longer the 1980s. :p