The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Frisian, Part 3

11/9 Memorial Fountain, Discovery Square, New Berlin - November 9, 2014, 1:00 PM

“Discovery Square hasn’t been a regular square in 13 years,” Thierry said, speaking in front of the memorial, “Thirteen years ago, the terrorists had slammed the plane into the square so brutally that the entire area was destroyed. Thousands died here on that tragic day. While that day showed the worst of humanity, it also showed the best. The first responders risked their lives to rescue those trapped by rubble and flames, some even making the ultimate sacrifice.”

He pointed at the fountain, which depicted firefighters helping civilians out of rubble and beating back flames with firehoses, from which water sprayed. It was surrounded by four Roman flags.

“This fountain is a monument to their bravery,” Thierry continued, “Over the next few days, our fellow citizens gave food and shelter to those without either. Because when the time comes, we rise to the occasion. We put aside our differences and backgrounds, for we are all Romans, and we are all in this together.”

The crowd cheered and waved little Roman flags.

“I am honored to have been chosen to speak at this dedication ceremony,” Thierry said, “But I wouldn’t be here without the help of my colleague. Please welcome Jacob Baldouin!”

The crowd applaued again, and Jacob stepped up to the podium. He shook Thierry’s hand.

“Thank you, Thierry,” Jacob said, “Gee, is it great to be back here. My wife grew up in Nsorala, and I hope she’s watching right now since she’s quite busy with our foundation work. In case she is…hi honey! Love you, hope I made you proud!”

The crowd laughed.

“That is something I wanted to talk about today,” Joel said, “She was a first responder back on that fateful day, and she was one of the lucky ones who got away unharmed. Many of her colleagues were diagnosed with lung cancer or other health effects because of their efforts that day. Some have even died. I want to bring attention to this pressing issue…”

Thierry, meanwhile, made his way offstage, where he met Kurt Moreau and Joel Ostler by a registration booth.

“How are things going, Joel?” he asked.

“The outreach is going really well,” Joel said, “Oh, this is Kurt Moreau from the Swords to Ploughshares Initiative. He’s helping me out today, as he’s a veteran.”

“Nice to meet you, Kurt,” Thierry said, shaking his hand.

“An honor, sir,” Kurt said.

“So, you want to talk about the outreach?” Thierry said.

“We registered a hundred veterans at this event,” Kurt said, “Also about thirty active-duty service members.”

“Well done,” Thierry said.

“Neurhomania has no shortage of veterans and service members,” Joel said, “Especially those who have seen the damage the KRA is doing to the Amazon.”

“Too bad it looks like it’s the KRA will become even more entrenched in this province at the end of the year,” Kurt said.

“We’ll at least gain a foothold,” Thierry said.

“As you said, Thierry, the road is long, but we’ll eventually make it,” Joel said.

“Alright, good job,” Thierry said, “Keep up the good work.”

He started walking again.

“Herr Baudet,” Kurt said.

“Yes?” Thierry said.

“I…I just want to say thank you for your words earlier,” Kurt said, “It really resonated with me. Growing up in a poor family, I didn’t have many opportunities until entering the service. Now I just want to give back to the community and preserve our world for the next generation.”

“Well, it’s nice to know my words are inspiring others,” Thierry said, “We’d love to have you continue contributing to our campaign and, if you’d like, our party proper.”

“I’d be honored, sir,” Kurt said.

“Well, you think about that,” Thierry said, “Take your time, as I don’t want to rush you. Joel can give you my email. Send me a message with your decision when you’re ready, and we can work things out from there.”

“Will do,” Kurt said.

Thierry walked off and smiled. Everything was going much better than he expected. With every speech he and the other chairmen made, The Forum gained ground in not only the polls but in the national conversation. Just a little while ago, barely anybody had heard of him. And now he was a serious contender. Although he probably wouldn’t win, he would at least get a foot in the door. The same couldn’t be said for bin Laden, whose campaign had completely imploded from over a dozen scandals (and that was a very conservative estimate), leaving his party dead in the water. If the predictions were correct, The Forum should completely eradicate Alternative for Rhomania’s gains in a month.

Bill Hansen’s house, Athens - December 21, 2014, 8:00 AM

Tara Hansen looked at the model manger on the mantel. She noticed someone had put Thor and Obi-Wan Kenobi action figures next to the baby Jesus.

“Not again,” she muttered, taking them out.

She took a Christmas card from one of Bill’s military friends and put it on the table just as the doorbell rang. Before she could react, seventeen-year-old Matthew Hansen raced down the stairs and opened the door, welcoming Angela, Erich, and Magda.

“Well, Merry Christmas,” Angela said.

“Merry Christmas, Aunt Angie,” Matthew said, hugging each of them, “Grandpa, Grandma.”

He helped Erich walk inside and helped take off his coat. Erich, propped up on a cane, slowly made his way into the living room with Angela’s help.

“And how’s our birthday boy doing?” Erich said.

“He’s not turning 18 for at least another week,” Tara said, walking over to them.

“Aw, damn,” Matthew said.

“What did I tell you about language, young man?” Magda said.

“Sorry, Grandma,” Matthew said.

“How are you doing, Tara?” Angela said.

“Good,” Tara said.

She noticed the stack of files in Angela’s arms. “I see you’re still busy as ever.”

“You have no idea,” Angela said.

“At your age?” Tara said. “You should be letting go a little. Probably prepare for retirement.”

“I think I’m fine where I am, Tara,” Angela said, “I’ll worry about that when I get there.”

“Of course, I have a child to take care of,” Tara blurted out.

Angela glared at her. Tara looked down, clearly realizing her mistake.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Tara said, “And of course I had to say it here, of all places, of all times…”

Bill walked into the foyer from the kitchen, wearing casual clothes instead of his usual uniform. He had a can of beer in his hand.

“Oh, morning, Mom, Dad, Angie,” he said, “Uh, welcome. Sorry about the state of the place. We’re still remodeling the living room.”

“Oh, no, it looks great,” Erich said, “Put the settlement money to good use, right?”

“Say, Angie, didn’t Anders got 265 million marks from one of your cases a few months back?” Bill said. “Civil forfeiture or something?”

Everyone looked at Angela, expecting a good answer.

“It wasn’t exactly civil forfeiture,” Angela said, “The guy who won the lottery committed a murder and then died. The laws are really weird in Nineveh, so Di got some of the money. The rest went to the town budget. She’s spending it on a charity.”

“Nineveh, am I right?” Magda said.

Bill laughed.

“Makes you wonder what she and Anders still do at the Athanatoi when they got all that money,” Tara said, “And with all those budget cuts too.”

“Anyways, Mom, Dad, you’ll be staying in your old room, as usual,” Bill said, “Angie, you have the guest room.”

He took their suitcases and hauled them upstairs, Matthew following close behind.

“He’s been so tense lately,” Tara said, “What with the situation in North Eimerica. It’s like the Naxalites but worse. He’s worried he’ll be deployed again. I can’t blame him for that.”

“Let Bill be Bill,” Angela said.

“Of course,” Tara said.

Magda and Tara went upstairs. Angela and Erich went to the living room, where paint cans and brushes still sat on tarp and parts of the walls remained their original color. Angela opened her file and read through it, while Erich slowly lay down on the couch.

“Angie, it’s Christmas,” Erich said, “Relax.”

“I’ve been meaning to find time to tell you something, Dad,” Angela said, “About where Corporal Georgios was.”

“What do you mean?” Erich said.

“I searched maps of the area around Schnitzelberg,” Angela said, “Corporal Georgios said he was taken in by villagers. But I didn’t find any villages in the area. The satellites would’ve found them.”

“Maybe the satellite maps were inaccurate,” Erich said.

“That’s what I thought,” Angela said, “Until I found what appeared to be a Chaw Thai tunnel network running through the area.”

“So the Chaw Thai was there,” Erich said, “They were all over Siam.”

“Corporal Georgios also mentioned a UN humanitarian team finding him on their way to Laos,” Angela said, “But I checked the UN’s records. There were no UN humanitarian teams on their way to Laos passing through that area during that timeframe. But…”

“But?” Erich said.

“There was a classified Scholai Palatinae operation happening at exactly the same time,” Angela said, “A Scholai Palatinae operation which hit the Chaw Thai tunnel network, where as it turns out a rogue Chaw Thai cell had been operating in secret for the last forty years. They had been holding Roman prisoners of war, experimenting on them. Martin Georgios was among them.”

“Impossible,” Erich said, “How could the Chaw Thai be operating for so long? How could they have held prisoners of war for so long without anyone knowing? And why didn’t they announce the rescue? Why did Martin appear on that street unannounced?”

“I don’t know,” Angela said, “Maybe they had a benefactor….maybe Sentinel or someone else in the Roman military…as crazy as that sounds.”

“Are your sources correct?” Erich said.

“I’m sure,” Angela said, “Colonel Dandolo knows what he’s doing.”

Erich looked down and sighed.

“This is crazy,” he said, “It could mean everything Martin knows is a lie.”

“I’m sorry,” Angela said.

“Angie, I need to ask a favor of you,” Erich said, “Could you not tell Martin about this? Those memories he has, as fake as they might be, are basically the only things holding him together. The truth would break him.”

Angela thought for a little bit. What should she do? As a member of X-Division, she had always worked towards exposing the truth. But here she was, with the truth in hand, and her father asking her to hide it for his friend’s sake. On one hand, it was the truth, and Martin deserved to know the truth of why he was in Siam for so long. On the other hand, he probably wouldn’t react well to hearing his life for the last fifty or so years was a lie. And who knew what the Chaw Thai had done to him in that time, or what their benefactors may have given them? Could she really destroy his happiness? What would that say about her? What would it say if she did cover up the truth?

“I…I promise,” Angela finally said.

“Thank you,” Erich said, “I just don’t want to put my friend through hell again.”

• 1Like
Reactions:
Seems poor Martin is a victim of a possible conspiracy, hope the guy recovers though especially now that he's home. While it's good to see Bin Laden not having a chance for the chancellorship, I must say, it seems all those memes on Making Rome great Again will die prematurely. More time for us to get to know the innards of the Forum though!

Seems like Martin’s story was too good to be true after all. Honestly, I feel like my previous theory about the Loop Temple and the Worm would be worse for Martin than Angela’s Sentinel theory, through Worm would explain Martin’s false memories and and him showing up randomly. Either theory being correct won't be good for Martin through. :eek:

I see that some equilevent to the Syrian Civil War has broken out in North Eimerica. I guess we’ll see which country is suffering from that war soon.

Since it’s been mentioned, what is Nsorala like in culture and development? I assume the Malians in that region have largely been overlooked in favor of the Twantinsuyuans, Natives and Romans in the rest of Neurhomania, which is rather ironic since Nsoloria’s approximate area is one of the more developed areas of OTL Brazil. I imagine it would be signifigant enough to export the Jazz Age to the rest of Neurhomania basically by itself. I’m imagining some sort of equlievent to the Harlem Renaissance happening in the Roaring 20s, where Nsoloria would have a cultural golden age thanks to the growth of Jazz and a migration of Malians from Mali and Portugal over to there, which would fit the Great Migration of OTL. Then again, it would make more sense for a Great Migration analogue to be dispersed towards the wealthy European Reich, given Africa being less developed than Europe.

I like to imagine there would be some sort of monument to the initial settlers of Nsoloria or a Malian Mansa, similar to Christ the Redeemer but possibly smaller. Now that I think about it, a statue similar to Christ the Redeemer would well work the Inti-Christian syncretic folk religion mentioned in the Twantinsuyuan update, only with Inti instead of Jesus.

I guess we could have three major monuments for Neurhomania; one for the Roman discovery of Neurhomania (Discovery Square), one for either the Malian settlement of Nsoloria or possibly its short lived independence from Mali, and one for the Queecha and their local culture (“Inti the Redeemer” as I’ll call it). Maybe they would be a fourth one for indigenous people as well.

Given how multicultural and multiethnic Neurhomania is, I’d expect it would have a lot of different local holidays and traditions there, maybe even a few for Gemischt (mixed) people, with traditions from all the other cultures mixed together. I imagine their would be a Gemischt culture that pretty much combines elements from each of Neurhomania’s culture groups into one unique identity, would make sense given their origins.
That reminds me, I haven't written anything about his kids yet.
What about Prince Georg and Wilhelmina? Curious to see their roles in the story and their dynamic with Wilhelm Karl.
The Roman religious right is a completely separate movement with its roots in the 1980s and 90s. The parties that make up the Forum were all founded around that time or at least after WWIII. The older NDP and AfR do have some former Angeloi or Angeloi sympathizers among their founders though.
I think the Athosian Party and the NDP were both founded in the 60s, through they wouldn’t be relevant until after WW3.

Do you have a list of Roman political parties that have formed to share by any chance, including parties that have disbanded and formed since 1946? I think it’s just been all the Roman Equalist parties and Freie Wahler that have disbanded so far. Would be nice to have a reference to refer to than having to digging through each update for an idea of political parties that exist and no longer exists.

Last edited:
Man, Martin's tragedy just keeps going. I'm not too sure he can end up with anything resembling a happy ending at this rate.

Seems poor Martin is a victim of a possible conspiracy, hope the guy recovers though especially now that he's home. While it's good to see Bin Laden not having a chance for the chancellorship, I must say, it seems all those memes on Making Rome great Again will die prematurely. More time for us to get to know the innards of the Forum though!
As I said before, the Forum will be the main focus of the next story arc, so we'll have a lot of time to delve into each of its leaders' personalities.
Seems like Martin’s story was too good to be true after all. Honestly, I feel like my previous theory about the Loop Temple and the Worm would be worse for Martin than Angela’s Sentinel theory, through Worm would explain Martin’s false memories and and him showing up randomly. Either theory being correct won't be good for Martin through. :eek:
Still could happen. Just because the possible Sentinel involvement changed his memory doesn't mean the Worm didn't also change his memory.:D There are (at least) two versions of the Friedrich the Great vs Hassan memory after all.
I see that some equilevent to the Syrian Civil War has broken out in North Eimerica. I guess we’ll see which country is suffering from that war soon.
I'll explain more in the gameplay update.
Since it’s been mentioned, what is Nsorala like in culture and development? I assume the Malians in that region have largely been overlooked in favor of the Twantinsuyuans, Natives and Romans in the rest of Neurhomania, which is rather ironic since Nsoloria’s approximate area is one of the more developed areas of OTL Brazil. I imagine it would be signifigant enough to export the Jazz Age to the rest of Neurhomania basically by itself. I’m imagining some sort of equlievent to the Harlem Renaissance happening in the Roaring 20s, where Nsoloria would have a cultural golden age thanks to the growth of Jazz and a migration of Malians from Mali and Portugal over to there, which would fit the Great Migration of OTL. Then again, it would make more sense for a Great Migration analogue to be dispersed towards the wealthy European Reich, given Africa being less developed than Europe.
Nsorala isn't as developed as the north but relatively more developed than real life northern Brazil. Most of the province's Malian population still lives there, but many have moved to the north and its better paying jobs. A larger scale version of the Harlem Renaissance happened there as Nsoralans rediscovered their roots and embraced them in opposition to the rising Angeloi. A Great Migration probably happened with some of Africa's population moving to continental Europe and a smaller group of Europeans moving to Africa. So Africa is more developed than in real life but still lagging behind Europe due to being mostly forgotten by the European-dominated government.
I like to imagine there would be some sort of monument to the initial settlers of Nsoloria or a Malian Mansa, similar to Christ the Redeemer but possibly smaller. Now that I think about it, a statue similar to Christ the Redeemer would well work the Inti-Christian syncretic folk religion mentioned in the Twantinsuyuan update, only with Inti instead of Jesus.

I guess we could have three major monuments for Neurhomania; one for the Roman discovery of Neurhomania (Discovery Square), one for either the Malian settlement of Nsoloria or possibly its short lived independence from Mali, and one for the Queecha and their local culture (“Inti the Redeemer” as I’ll call it). Maybe they would be a fourth one for indigenous people as well.
There could be a statue to the Malian mansa who sent the first fleet to head west across the Atlantic in traditional folktales (it's the guy from Mali's national ideas in EU4). I don't think Inti the Redeemer would have a big statue.
Given how multicultural and multiethnic Neurhomania is, I’d expect it would have a lot of different local holidays and traditions there, maybe even a few for Gemischt (mixed) people, with traditions from all the other cultures mixed together. I imagine their would be a Gemischt culture that pretty much combines elements from each of Neurhomania’s culture groups into one unique identity, would make sense given their origins.
There are a lot of local holidays in Neurhomania deriving from its many cultural groups. Each region of Neurhomania has its own local holidays and traditions.
What about Prince Georg and Wilhelmina? Curious to see their roles in the story and their dynamic with Wilhelm Karl.
Prince Georg right now has a one-off update about his charity work, but I'm thinking of expanding that into a mini-arc. Wilhelmina has a much larger role to play in the next story arc, but I haven't written that part yet.
I think the Athosian Party and the NDP were both founded in the 60s, through they wouldn’t be relevant until after WW3.
Okay. I guess the NDP could still have former Angeloi roots, while the Athosian Party was founded by former clergy who decided to get into politics against the wishes of the Church.
Do you have a list of Roman political parties that have formed to share by any chance, including parties that have disbanded and formed since 1946? I think it’s just been all the Roman Equalist parties and Freie Wahler that have disbanded so far. Would be nice to have a reference to refer to than having to digging through each update for an idea of political parties that exist and no longer exists.
I did some digging in the old files and got a list of all of the Roman parties in no particular order:

CMU
KRA
FMP
SPR
Greens (officially Buendnis 90/The Greens)
AfR
Schweinfurt Faction
Hohenzollern Faction
SPQR (populist; defunct)
Augustinian Party (progressive; folded into the Greens I guess...)
SIR
Spartacist Party (defunct)
Athosian Party
Freie Waehler (defunct)
Pirate Party
PMS
Die Linke
SRP (fascist; defunct since 1952)
PBC
Buendnis C (defunct? I don't remember them at all...)
NDP
LKR (Liberal-Konservative Reformer)
Roman Equalist Party (defunct? Not sure if I even had this one in the game...)

May have missed a few but I think I got all of the major ones.
Man, Martin's tragedy just keeps going. I'm not too sure he can end up with anything resembling a happy ending at this rate.
His story won't end in the next part...

Reactions:
I did some digging in the old files and got a list of all of the Roman parties in no particular order:

CMU
KRA
FMP
SPR
Greens (officially Buendnis 90/The Greens)
AfR
Schweinfurt Faction
Hohenzollern Faction
SPQR (populist; defunct)
Augustinian Party (progressive; folded into the Greens I guess...)
SIR
Spartacist Party (defunct)
Athosian Party
Freie Waehler (defunct)
Pirate Party
PMS
Die Linke
SRP (fascist; defunct since 1952)
PBC
Buendnis C (defunct? I don't remember them at all...)
NDP
LKR (Liberal-Konservative Reformer)
Roman Equalist Party (defunct? Not sure if I even had this one in the game...)

May have missed a few but I think I got all of the major ones.
I think there also was also a couple more Equalists parties (a Marxist-Leninist Party and a Roman Communist Party) and a LP/PMS (Linskpartei/Partei des Meritokratisches Sozialismus). Also Die Linke may have folded into the SPR’s coalition in Chapter
Other than that, looks good. Maybe add in each of those parties’ full names and ideologues and then it will be good to add to the table of contents as a cultural update. Maybe you can come back and edit this update when more parties are formed or disbanded in the future.

Last edited:
I think there also was also a couple more Equalists parties (a Marxist-Leninist Party and a Roman Communist Party) and a LP/PMS (Linskpartei/Partei des Meritokratisches Sozialismus). Also Die Linke may have folded into the SPR’s coalition in Chapter
Other than that, looks good. Maybe add in each of those parties’ full names and ideologues and then it will be good to add to the table of contents as a cultural update. Maybe you can come back and edit this update when more parties are formed or disbanded in the future.
Okay. The list was not meant to be exhaustive and may not have labeled some defunct parties as such. I'm not sure if I want to get a list of all parties with full information because that would mean digging into at least three files in different parts of the mod and looking through hundreds of screenshots. A lot of them are non-canon or irrelevant anyways.

Okay. The list was not meant to be exhaustive and may not have labeled some defunct parties as such. I'm not sure if I want to get a list of all parties with full information because that would mean digging into at least three files in different parts of the mod and looking through hundreds of screenshots. A lot of them are non-canon or irrelevant anyways.
Okay, I see. I was just thinking that a detailed list of the political parties and related information in a similar format to this link (party platforms/ideology, political spectrum position and full party names) in the table of contents would be helpful to casual readers of this AAR, since they won’t have to dig through multiple updates for important parties, but I can see how an exhaustive list would be a bit much now. Maybe just the previous, non exhaustive list of the relevant/canon parties on this page would be fine then.

Edit: Also I just noticed you already had PMS included in the list, so I went ahead and fixed that mistake in my last post.

Last edited:
Okay, I see. I was just thinking that a detailed list of the political parties and related information in a similar format to this link (party platforms/ideology, political spectrum position and full party names) in the table of contents would be helpful to casual readers of this AAR, since they won’t have to dig through multiple updates for important parties, but I can see how an exhaustive list would be a bit much now. Maybe just the previous, non exhaustive list of the relevant/canon parties on this page would be fine then.

Edit: Also I just noticed you already had PMS included in the list, so I went ahead and fixed that mistake in my last post.

I might do it for the currently existing parties. But I'll see about that.

The Frisian, Part 4

Anders and Diana’s house, Constantinople - December 31, 2014, 10:00 PM

“This just in, with a majority of examiner points counted, CNN is now ready to make its last projection of the night, calling a Merkel victory in the Länder of Frisia,” Wolf Blitzer said, “With a majority of points and Länder won, Merkel has secured her third term as chancellor.”

The others crowded in the living room cheered and clapped, relieved the chancellor would be in office another five years. Some who liked Schulz better were dismayed he had lost, but they simply nodded their heads silently and shook hands with the Merkel supporters, who smiled and shook back respectfully. Diana briefly turned away from the TV and looked at Alex.

“Okay, it’s over,” she said, “Go to bed.”

“But what about the countdown?” Alex said.

“Next year,” Diana said, “You need sleep.”

Alex sighed and trudged off. Diana looked back at Anders, who was talking with Theresa.

“I’m not saying the truth isn’t important,” Theresa said, “I’m saying there could be a better way of doing it.”

“What do you mean?” Anders said.

“These days, people don’t talk much about conspiracy theories anymore,” Theresa said, “Not much about shadowy cabals bent on world domination. But today, people talk about corruption and holding their leaders accountable. Those are serious issues affecting our day to day lives. In a way, those issues are conspiracies of their own. The powerful conspire to keep their wealth in their hands, the have-nots down, and critics silenced. It is the job of a free press to expose these schemes for what they are, to protect those who can’t speak for themselves.”

“And how would you respond to people calling you puppets of shadowy interests?” Anders said.

“I’d respectfully ask them to check their sources,” Theresa said, “Check backgrounds. Follow the money. Then come to a conclusion. It’s important, now more than ever, to vet your sources, even established ones. Right now, 40% of all local news channels are owned by Schmitz Broadcasting, which plans on merging with another company controlling another 30%. Schmitz has a very hands-on approach to its reporting.”

“But of course, you could just cut out the middlemen and get your news from the internet,” Anders said.

“The internet is worse,” Theresa said, “Far worse. You can say whatever you want there and face no consequences. In fact, you might even be rewarded. There are organizations already capitalizing on this. Mongol cartels are experts at spreading disinformation on social media, abusing algorithms to push their preferred agenda on unsuspecting viewers. Have been doing it since the ‘90s. Social media companies promote content similar to that you like or prefer to retain your clicks, regardless of their validity. These so-called free services actually sell your data to advertisers and other organizations, who can use it however they want. That’s how they turn a profit. Internet providers have in recent years solidified their dominance in multiple economic sectors, from making exclusive deals with cities to provide and maintain increasingly outdated cable infrastructure to manufacturing their own internet hardware to monopolizing phone and TV markets in entire communities. They are now trying to control the content you access and stream by throttling traffic for websites and services from their competitors. It won’t take long for governments to catch on to all of these practices, even with the lobbying laws as strict as they are.”

Anders thought for a moment.

“You’ve been in the Athanatoi for thirty years, you and Diana,” Theresa said, “Surely you understand how important this is.”

Anders sighed and rubbed his head, deep in thought. He didn’t know how important this was. True, the government had gutted the cyber-security and domestic terrorism unit to free up funds for counterterrorism after November 9. But he himself had missed all of this. He was so focused on doing things the traditional way, then being forced into hiding for eight years, and then working on whatever conspiracy he was part of the last several years, that he lost track of who he was and what was happening right under his nose. He didn’t even realize he was in a conspiracy of his own making until he was in too deep to stop it. At that point, he had willingly agreed to continue it.

“Yes, yes,” he said, “It’s just after so long in the Athanatoi, where I have been for thirty years…everything blurs together. You find yourself stuck in the past, clinging to old ideas of how the world works and should work. These last few months have had me thinking. I don’t have much longer in the Athanatoi. I wonder how people will remember me, what my legacy will be. I always think of myself as a man constantly in search of the truth. But what point is the truth if I never find it and get it out? Or if I do get it out and nobody cares? Or if it really does more harm than good? What point is it then?”

“Anders, no matter the times, someone will always care about the truth,” Theresa said, “Our job is to reach those someones. Our names will be forgotten, but our efforts will be remembered. Our legacy is we report the facts, even if they aren’t what people want to hear. Opinions change all the time. But facts are universal. And they will always have an audience. That is the truth.”

Olga tapped Diana’s shoulder. She had her phone in her hands.

“Yeah?” Diana said.

“It’s Jessica,” Olga said, “She says the Kaiser will pass affirmative action by decree, and The Forum and its allies will perform better than predicted.”

“Why are you bothering me with this?” Diana said. “I already saw that.”

“And the interim Mayan government will reject the ultimatum,” Olga said, “The militias on the western and eastern islands will keep fighting.”

“I know that already,” Diana said.

“Also, a branch of af-Quetzalcoatl has just renamed itself to ‘Mexicanist State’ or something,” Olga said.

“Do they really need another name change at this point?” Diana said. “But it’s right on schedule I think.”

“I don’t know,” Olga said, “The way Jessica frames it, it seems important.”

Diana picked up her phone just as it beeped. Angela had sent her a photo of the family party at Bill’s house. Then she got another text. It was a message from Brad.

Situation escalating in NE. Emergency meeting called. Need counterterrorism specialist.

“Who’s that?” Olga said.

“Folger,” Diana said, “Said he needs my counterterrorism background. North Eimerica. You should check your phone.”

Olga’s phone beeped. She read her text.

“Same here,” she said.

Diana tapped Anders on the shoulder.

“Olga and I have to go,” she said, “Emergency meeting at headquarters.”

“Thought he just won his Reichsrat seat,” Anders said.

“He’s still Director until he takes his seat,” Diana said, “It’ll be a while before Erich moves up.”

“Go,” Anders said, “I’ll handle things.”

Diana grabbed her coat and motorcycle keys and followed Olga out the door.

Brandenburg Palace, Berlin - February 2, 2015, 10:00 AM

A crowd had gathered around the main entrance to the newly rebuilt Brandenburg palace. It had been exactly a week since the rededication ceremony and its official opening, and the Kaiser wasted no time. His family and their Varangian detail moved in within two days, and the imperial staff followed by the end of January. For the first time since 1939, Kaiser Otto lived in his childhood home, and for the first time since the start of the Cold War, Brandenburg Palace returned to its rightful place at the forefront of Berlin’s historic center, complementing the grand cathedral and museums on the other side of Museum Island with its own museum, the Elisabeth Alexandra Memorial Forum (adding to the existing August Chamber). But Olga, Diana, Heinrich Dandolo, and the other politicians and journalists in the crowd weren’t focused on that. They were more concerned about Merkel, who had just emerged from the palace, the Kaiser having formally appointing her to the chancellery inside as was tradition, and was now about to take the oath of office before them. She stopped at a podium at the bottom of the steps, where her husband, Ulrich, and Chief Justice Andreas Voßkuhle waited, the latter holding a Bible. Merkel placed one hand on the Bible and raised her other hand. Since this obviously wasn’t her first inauguration, there would be no theatrics or an inauguration speech.

“I swear I will dedicate my efforts to the well-being of the Roman people, promote their welfare, protect them from harm, uphold and defend the Augustinian Code and the laws of the Reich, perform my duties conscientiously, and do justice to all,” she declared “So help me God.”

“Congratulations, Frau Reichskanzlerin,” Voßkuhle said.

The crowd began applauding as military marching bands played the Roman national anthem and Merkel got into a waiting car, ready to take her back to her office at the chancellery. Today would be the first day a Roman chancellor would work at the old chancellery building since 1933, as Markos Angelos worked from an office in the Reichstag building while in power. Other institutions had slowly moved back to Berlin in the years after 11/9, but the palace’s rebuilding accelerated the process, marking the final phase in the transfer of government institutions back to the ancient capital. The cabinet ministries had all moved into their old prewar buildings over the last two years, while the law enforcement agencies took longer. The Athanatoi was one of the slowest to act, with the Omar Mukhtar Building still acting as the primary offices, though a sleek modern building in Berlin was already in use to phase out the ancient Imperial Century-era Bureau of Security and Intelligence offices. The Omar Mukhtar Building was the agency’s first headquarters following the postwar reconstruction, so Diana understood why it was so hard to move out.

“Enjoyed the show?” Heinrich said.

“Yes, I did,” Olga said.

“Thank you for getting us the front row seats,” Diana said.

“Oh, it’s no big deal,” Heinrich said, “I’m happy to help.”

“So I heard you’re being considered for Megas Domestikos,” Diana said, “Congratulations.”

“I’d wait until the official announcement,” Heinrich said, “Don’t want to get ahead of ourselves.”

“I know you’ll get it,” Diana said, “But I agree.”

“Of course,” Olga said, “Valentin was always so ahead of himself he didn’t see what was right under his nose. But I’m glad they’re considering you. They need your experience.”

“I’m sure they do,” Heinrich said, “After decades of Mihailo Princip and his friends, I think the military needs a breath of fresh air.”

“Fresh air…” Diana said.

“Yes,” Heinrich said, “War has changed since the 80s. And we need someone who can develop the strategies and tactics crucial to success on the modern battlefield. With all due respect, General Princip was a good leader, but I hope he enjoys his retirement.”

“No, ‘fresh air’,” Diana said.

“Learned it from that kid,” Heinrich said, “Thierry Baudet.”

“Representative Baudet?” Olga said.

“He’s got some great ideas,” Heinrich said, “I guess the people thought so too. Otherwise why did The Forum do so well?”

“The alternative was…eh…Alternative for Rhomania,” Diana said, “He presented the first real alternative to Merkel and the main parties, speaking to those she forgot about.”

“Anybody who can wrangle defections from the CMU, SPR, KRA, Greens, and even the nationalists all at once has my respect,” Heinrich said, “I can’t imagine what he offered them.”

“Yeah, I can’t imagine what he offered them,” Olga said.

“I don’t think he needed to offer anything,” Diana said, “Just the opportunity for change.”

“Let’s see what change he brings,” Olga said.

“I have a feeling he’s going to bring a lot of change,” Diana said.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Introspective Anders, always interesting. The conspiracy theory game went and changed on him.

Wait, so it’s Mayapan going through what is basically the Syrian Civil War? That’s surprising, since it seemed rather stable to me in previous updates. I was expecting the civil war mentioned in the last update to happen in one of the countries spawned from the former Equalists countries, but Mayapan is surprising. Seems we’re in for a repeat of that Mayan Civil War from HOI4, only with religious fundamentalists instead of Equalists.:eek:

I wonder what is going in the Yucatán at this time? Going by the 2000s update, seems like that region has had some sectarian violence for quite awhile now.

Nice to see Brandenburg Palace fully restored, through restoration happened sooner than I expected, since I remember Chapter 452 saying it would be finished in 2016.

Regardless, Brandenburg Palace must be one hell of a tourist trap with both the Elizabeth Alexandra Forum and the August Chamber for tourists to see.:D Makes me wonder how Versallies the New Potsdam Palace and its Hall of Mirrors would be able to compete, especially since, like you said, it’s probably not even as impressive as the old Potsdam Palace.

Good to see the Forum make some gains, even if they didn’t win the examination. At least they prevented Bin Laden from becoming Chancellor, as hilarious as that might have been.:p Good set up for the Forum’s storyarc, Interested to see how it develops.:)

Introspective Anders, always interesting. The conspiracy theory game went and changed on him.
It went and changed under him without him even knowing. By the time he realized it, he was already part of a conspiracy. Now he's wondering what that could mean for his future.
Wait, so it’s Mayapan going through what is basically the Syrian Civil War? That’s surprising, since it seemed rather stable to me in previous updates. I was expecting the civil war mentioned in the last update to happen in one of the countries spawned from the former Equalists countries, but Mayapan is surprising. Seems we’re in for a repeat of that Mayan Civil War from HOI4, only with religious fundamentalists instead of Equalists.:eek:
Yes, it's quite a shock in-universe for Mayapan to suffer a civil war, as many will attest to. It won't be a carbon copy of the Syrian Civil War because the two countries start off very differently, but it will be bloody.
I wonder what is going in the Yucatán at this time? Going by the 2000s update, seems like that region has had some sectarian violence for quite awhile now.
Yucatan still has a lot of sectarian violence and separatist movements wanting annexation into Mexico.
Nice to see Brandenburg Palace fully restored, through restoration happened sooner than I expected, since I remember Chapter 452 saying it would be finished in 2016.
To be honest, I forgot I said that in Chapter 452. I guess they finished it ahead of schedule then.
Regardless, Brandenburg Palace must be one hell of a tourist trap with both the Elizabeth Alexandra Forum and the August Chamber for tourists to see.:D Makes me wonder how Versallies the New Potsdam Palace and its Hall of Mirrors would be able to compete, especially since, like you said, it’s probably not even as impressive as the old Potsdam Palace.
I think the New Potsdam Palace would be like some of the minor German palaces that are still tourist attractions in real life. Attracting a decent crowd but nothing like the major attractions.
Good to see the Forum make some gains, even if they didn’t win the examination. At least they prevented Bin Laden from becoming Chancellor, as hilarious as that might have been.:p Good set up for the Forum’s storyarc, Interested to see how it develops.:)
Especially when the mainstream parties start showing their true colors...

Otto is still alive? He's really becoming the stuff of legends with him being what, 102 years old at this point? His death is going to be a massive loss for the empire which will see the greatest funeral ever in the history of the Empire. Not to forget that the throne might just skip a generation

Otto is still alive? He's really becoming the stuff of legends with him being what, 102 years old at this point? His death is going to be a massive loss for the empire which will see the greatest funeral ever in the history of the Empire. Not to forget that the throne might just skip a generation
Yes, he's quite old, and when he dies, it will be a massive event. But the throne won't skip a generation. The ruling establishment wants continuity, and they believe the middle-aged Wilhelm Karl will provide more stability on the throne than Wilhelmina the college student.

Yes, he's quite old, and when he dies, it will be a massive event. But the throne won't skip a generation. The ruling establishment wants continuity, and they believe the middle-aged Wilhelm Karl will provide more stability on the throne than Wilhelmina the college student.
Isn’t Wilhelmina in her thirties now, what is she still doing in college? Guess being in college is her only personality now.:p

Also remember how Otto was five when his dad was assassinated and 17 when he properly became the Kaiser? Then again, that was a chaotic transition of power that took a 12 year regency to stabilize, so I can see the Reich not having a repeat of that.
Yucatan still has a lot of sectarian violence and separatist movements wanting annexation into Mexico.
So, like the Golan Heights situation between OTL Israel and Palestine then.

Last edited:
Isn’t Wilhelmina in her thirties now, what is she still doing in college? Guess being in college is her only personality now.:p
She could be doing research or pursuing a higher degree. A lot of people still call her a college kid because of her relative youth compared to her uncle. Many in the establishment consider her too young and inexperienced to sit on the throne as a result.
Also remember how Otto was five when his dad was assassinated and 17 when he properly became the Kaiser? Then again, that was a chaotic transition of power that took a 12 year regency to stabilize, so I can see the Reich not having a repeat of that.
Not to mention the deaths of so many heirs and other Hohenzollerns and Hohenzollern spouses in the two decades before that, with Karl as the final death. Nobody from that time is alive now to provide advice, but many in the government fear a return to that instability, which brought about the Angeloi. They'd rather play it safe with Wilhelm Karl as his age and relative experience can maintain the status quo. Once he passes, maybe the country can finally have a younger Kaiser in one of his kids...who ironically might be at least in their forties at that point.
So, like the Golan Heights situation between OTL Israel and Palestine then.
Honestly, I was aiming more at something like modern Afghanistan for Yucatan.

Honestly, I was aiming more at something like modern Afghanistan for Yucatan
I mean the Afghanistan comparison does make sense, but given the history of that region since the 13th century, which is rather similar to OTL Levant, the Israel-Palestine comparison also works. Yucatán was the original homeland for a millennia until the Triple Alliance conquered it and exiled the Mayans into the Caribbean in the Thriteenth Century Crisis, with the Mayans taking it back after Operation Sunrise Invasion and it flipping between Mexican and Mayan rule in the 20th and 21st century. I know you’ve already applied the Israel comparison to the UPM, but this could also work if only because we can have Mexico represent Palestine here and the Yucatán and Guatemala as the disputed Golan Heights territory or the Gaza Strip. Maybe there could be Hamas like anti Mayapan organizations in the Yucatán and Guatemala, either fighting for Mexican annexation or even independence, clashing with Mayan nationalists and the Mayapan government, thus leading to ethnic and religious conflicts between Mayans and Nahua over who has claim to the Yucatán.

Last edited:
I mean the Afghanistan comparison does make sense, but given the history of that region since the 13th century, which is rather similar to OTL Levant, the Israel-Palestine comparison also works. Yucatán was the original homeland for a millennia until the Triple Alliance conquered it and exiled the Mayans into the Caribbean in the Thriteenth Century Crisis, with the Mayans taking it back after Operation Sunrise Invasion and it flipping between Mexican and Mayan rule in the 20th and 21st century. I know you’ve already applied the Israel comparison to the UPM, but this could also work if only because we can have Mexico represent Palestine here and the Yucatán and Guatemala as the disputed Golan Heights territory or the Gaza Strip. Maybe there could be Hamas like anti Mayapan organizations in the Yucatán and Guatemala, either fighting for Mexican annexation or even independence, clashing with Mayan nationalists and the Mayapan government, thus leading to ethnic and religious conflicts between Mayans and Nahua over who has claim to the Yucatán.
Originally I intended for the UPM to be like Israel as a developed nation and major military power surrounded by enemies who want its destruction but are too disorganized to oppose it. I was aiming for the Yucatan to be more like Afghanistan because its jungles would be perfect for insurgents (Mexican nationalists, Mexcanist terrorists, Yucatan separatists who want their own nation, various neo-equalist groups left over from the Cold War, and so on) to hide in and launch attacks on Mayapan and the surrounding areas. I even mentioned it being bombed after November 9 much the same way as Afghanistan was bombed after 9/11. But I guess we can extend it to the Yucatan as well. Your explanation works really well with its situation.

Loose Ends, Part 1

Athanatoi field office (former Bureau of Security and Intelligence headquarters), West Berlin - July 2, 1963, 2:00 PM

A small black-and-white TV sat on the table, its antennas extended. Even so, the video quality wasn’t that good. The screen was filled with static and distorted pictures. The Athanatoi agents crowded around the TV set, trying to make out anything in the static. Frustrated, Anne pushed her way through the crowd and hit the top of the TV. The video finally stabilized enough to be barely watchable, revealing the face of Kaiser Otto, standing at a podium, Adenauer at his side, on the steps to the Reichstag building.

“I hope we didn’t miss too much,” she said.

“…is indivisible, and when one man is enslaved, all are not free,” Otto said, “When all are free, then we can look forward to that day when this city will be joined as one and our great Reich and this Eurasia in a peaceful and hopeful globe. When that day finally comes, as it will, the people of West Berlin can take sober satisfaction in the fact that they were in the front lines for almost two decades. We have not forgotten you. We will never forget you. All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Berlin, and therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words ‘Ich bin ein Romer’. Ich bin ein Berliner’.”

“That’s probably the end,” one agent said.

The other agents, murmuring their frustration and boredom, got up and left the room, leaving Anne alone. She slouched into a chair and looked out the window, gazing over the cloudy gray Berlin cityscape. The newly built Berlin Wall ran straight through the historic downtown, running across Unter den Linden right in front of Brandenburg Gate. It was like a nasty scar running through the heart of the capital, a very present reminder of the looming Soviet threat.

That was why Anne was here in West Berlin. After the Cuba crisis, senior leadership was alerted to a high-profile individual, a widely respected Soviet Air Force veteran, Stasi officer, and Equalist Party member who was seriously considering defection. This man had access to troves of classified information on Occupied Territories defenses, military equipment specs, war plans, and, most importantly, the location of several nuclear missile silos. Her mission here was to meet up with some other field agents and extract him to West Berlin. If the Reich gained access to this information, it could tip the balance of power in Europe for good. That ugly wall would finally come down. She had made a private vow to outlive that wall and for her baby daughter to grow up in a world without it.

“Agent Frank?” a woman said.

Anne turned around and saw a blond woman and a man in a black suit and a bowler hat waiting on the other side of the room. She got up and walked over to them.

“Yes?” she said.

“I’m Section Chief Jonson,” the man said, shaking her hand, “Thank you for making it.”

“Oh, no problem,” Anne said.

“I mean, with your condition and all,” Jonson said.

“Please, it’s been seven months,” Anne said, “Peter’s taking care of her.”

Jonson looked at the woman.

“Erica’s waiting on the other side,” Jonson said, “But I thought I’d introduce you to your other partner on this case before you head out to her. She came here all the way from Scandinavia.”

“I’m Tatiana Kirova,” the woman said with a light Scandinavian Russian accent as she extended her hand, “Agent of the Tsardom, Her Russian Majesty’s Most Loyal Defender.”

“Anne Frank, imperial agent, Athanatoi Foreign Division,” Anne said, shaking her hand, “Nice to meet you.”

One of Olga’s safe houses, Constantinople - March 12, 2015, 7:58 AM

Just before her phone alarm went off, Olga opened her eyes and rolled herself out of bed. She disabled the alarm and got dressed. Then she went to the kitchen and made breakfast. As she gulped down a glass of milk, she picked up the day’s copy of Die Zeiten. Her eyes were immediately drawn to the headline:

Respected police officer, family murdered in home - authorities stumped

She read further. A Metropolitan Police officer and his family had been found dead in their home earlier that morning when a neighbor heard several silenced gunshots. They had been tied to chairs and then cleanly shot in the back of the head, as if they were executed. The killer left no other clues. Kresge had given a statement in which he refused to comment on the investigation or reveal the names of the victims.

Olga put down her glass and picked up her phone, speed-dialing Diana’s number.

“Olga?” Diana said.

“Hey, it’s me,” Olga said, “Did you read the paper?”

“Yeah,” Diana said, “We have a case?”

“Yep, finally,” Olga said, “Wait, you already knew?”

“Yeah,” Diana said.

“You taking all of the fun out of this,” Olga said.

“Never thought you’d be the one to worry about fun,” Diana said.

“Anyways, the case,” Olga said.

“Yeah, let’s go,” Diana said.

“What?” Olga said. “You’re not going to try to convince me it’s not a case?”

“No,” Diana said, “You’ve been wanting a new case for about a year now. It’s finally time. Whole family shot in the head, let’s figure out why.”

“You’re no fun,” Olga said.

“I seriously don’t know why,” Diana said.

“Liar,” Olga said.

“Really!” Diana said.

Suburban Constantinople - 9:00 AM

The four agents got out of the Impala and approached the house. Commissioner Kresge waited by the door.

“Agents,” he said, “Good to see you here. Thanks for the help.”

“Of course,” Angela said, “Glad to help out.”

“But could I understand what interest the Athanatoi has here?” Kresge said. “I mean, it’s just a simple murder. We think it’s a mob hit or something.”

“Mobsters wouldn’t bother with neat hits,” Diana said, “The bloodier the scene the better. They usually want to make a statement with a brutal killing. What we’re looking at here is a professional assassin, potentially with military training.”

“Uh, Di, we should wait until we see the crime scene,” Angela said.

“I know the mob,” Olga said, “Di’s right.”

“How did the killer get inside the house?” Anders asked.

Diana observed the door. “No signs of forced entry, just as I expected.”

“Which means the victim and killer must’ve known each other,” Anders said.

“Of course,” Olga said.

“Who’re the victims?” Angela said. “Their names weren’t in the paper.”

They entered the house. Several body bags lay on the floor. Chairs were still arranged in the middle of the living room, the wall in front of them covered in blood. Kresge opened one body bag to reveal the body of a middle-aged man.

“Ernst Weller and his family,” Kresge said, “Weller was a veteran of the Metropolitan Police, served from 1988 until he retired a couple years ago. Everybody liked him.”

“That name sounds familiar,” Olga said.

“I have an idea,” Diana said.

“Hold that thought, Di, I really want to figure it out myself,” Olga said, “Spoilers, you know.”

She inspected Weller closer and found a tattoo on his shoulder. It was a KGB tattoo, closely resembling her own.

“I knew it,” she said, “He’s former KGB.”

Pentagon - 10:00 AM

Olga entered Heinrich’s office. Heinrich looked up from packing up his belongings.

“Oh, you’re here,” he said, "I have to meet the General Staff at my new office by lunch, so what is it?”

“Ernst Weller,” Olga said, “The guy who was murdered this morning. He was KGB, like me.”

“I’m not sure I follow,” Heinrich said.

“You were in charge of resettling former KGB agents in the Reich after the war,” Olga said, “Including me. Was Ernst Weller one of them?”

“Ernst Weller’s original identity was Igor Yakov,” Heinrich said.

“Herr Yakov?” Olga said. “He was one of the younger teachers at the Academy.”

“He was also a veteran of the Soviet Army,” Heinrich said, “He was part of the Soviet mission to the Union of Vinland, where he helped train Vinlandic soldiers. Fought in the Yavdian campaign in the war.”

“Yeah, I know that,” Olga said.

“But why would someone kill Yakov?” Heinrich said. “The Soviet Commune is gone. The war ended long ago. Who would kill him?”

“Someone with a grudge against KGB agents living in the Reich,” Olga said.

“But that’s the thing,” Heinrich said, “How would he know their identities? They were scrubbed from the public records in both Russia and the Reich. The only way he would know is—”

“If he was part of the resettlement operation,” Olga said, “Maybe he himself was resettled, like when Agent Smirnov framed Agent Markov. Do you have access to the personnel files?”

“Uh, yeah,” Heinrich said, opening a drawer and taking out a stack of files, “Here. Files on all of the KGB agents I resettled, including Yakov, Markov, and Smirnov. The agents were divided into small groups and assigned to a team of Athanatoi agents working independently of each other as an extra layer of privacy. It’ll take me a while to find the rest of the team leaders and get their files, but I’ll call you when I’m done.”

“Thanks,” Olga said, taking the files, “I really appreciate it.”

X-Division - 11:00 AM

Olga set the files down on Diana’s desk.

“Alright, here’s every KGB agent Dandolo resettled,” Olga said, “Ernst Weller was one of them.”

“What are we supposed to look at?” Angela said.

“The killer and victim knew each other,” Anders said, “So it stands to reason the killer was another KGB agent.”

“So another Agent Smirnov,” Angela said.

“Exactly,” Olga said, “Now, the resettlement operation split the agents into small groups and spread them through the Reich, meaning agents in one group would not be relatively familiar with those in another group. The killer is in Weller’s group.”

They started reading the files.

“I have Agent Markov’s file here,” Diana said, putting it aside, “He’s dead, so isn’t a target. Feels like these faces are pretty familiar…”

“Wait a minute,” Anders said, “We’re missing something. How do we know how the killer’s selecting targets?”

“Does it matter?” Angela said. “We find everybody in this group and bring them in. They’ll be placed in protective custody, and we might just force the killer to reveal himself.”

“Take your time, Olga,” Diana said.

“Take my time for what?” Olga said.

Olga’s phone rang. The caller ID read “Jessica.” She glared at Diana.

“Are you serious?” Olga said.

“No, really,” Diana said.

“Anyways…I have to take this call,” Olga said, “I’ll be right back…really Di?”

“Yes, really,” Diana said.

She stepped out of the office.

“Hello?” she said.

“Hey, it’s me,” Jessica said.

“Hey, Jessica,” Olga said, “Haven’t heard from you in a while. How are you?”

“Oh, fine,” Jessica said, “Just wanted to let you know I’m flying into Constantinople today.”

“Oh, for what?” Olga said.

“I’m auditioning for the Constantinople Philharmonic,” Jessica said, “Violinist.”

“I don’t remember you playing the violin,” Olga said.

“I was always better than you at it,” Jessica said, “Maybe that’s why you forgot.”

“Well, that’s great then,” Olga said, “I can pick you up at the airport, if you don’t mind.”

“Oh, that would be great,” Jessica said.

“Alright, see you then,” Olga said, hanging up.

Diana poked her head out of the office.

“Hey, you should see this,” she said.

Olga walked back into the office, where Angela handed her a personnel file.

“Recognize her?” she said.

Olga looked at the file and saw Jessica’s photo attached.

“Oh, isn’t that just great?” she said.

“I swear that was a coincidence,” Diana said.

“Sure…” Olga said.

Saint Wilhelmina International Airport - 5:00 PM

Jessica exited the airport and approached the curb. She saw Olga’s car approaching and flagged her down. Olga stopped and got out to help load Jessica’s suitcase into the trunk. Then Jessica got in the passenger’s seat, and Olga drove off.

“I see you’re doing well,” Jessica said.

“Could be better,” Olga said, “They’re downsizing the office. Want to move personnel to the new headquarters in Berlin. Budget’s been cut again too. Figures. We didn’t have that many cases last year. And you?”

“Business is slow,” Jessica said, “Finally saved up enough money to buy a violin and start practicing again. Took a side gig playing music at the bar. That’s how I got the audition.”

“That’s great,” Olga said, “Listen, I’m terribly sorry for everything.”

“What do you mean?” Jessica said.

“We’re working a case,” Olga said, “Someone’s killing former KGB agents like us. They got Yakov and his family this morning.”

“My gods,” Jessica said, “Herr Yakov? Chemistry class?”

“Yes, him,” Olga said, “We think the killer is another KGB agent who was resettled in the same group as us.”

“Smirnov?” Jessica said. “I heard he killed Agent Markov.”

“And I killed him a second later,” Olga said.

“But then who could it be?” Jessica said. “The ones who come to mind are dead. The rest…they don’t seem to be the kind of people to do this. They put aside their guns long ago.”

“Well, we’re putting them in protective custody,” Olga said.

“And me?” Jessica said.

“When’s the audition?” Olga said.

“Tomorrow afternoon,” Jessica said.

“I’ll get one of my safe houses ready for you,” Olga said, “You’re going to stay there until—”

Automatic weapons fire raked the car. The windows shattered, and bullets tore holes in the doors as Olga swerved out of the line of fire onto a side street. Jessica screamed and ducked, while Olga chastised herself for not using the bulletproof car. After several seconds, the shots stopped, and Olga quickly turned her head in the direction of the gunfire. She saw an individual in dark clothes running across a roof in retreat.