• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What the hell happened in Aalst? Judging by the numbers, you must've been overstacking your commander. You do know that when you pile too many units into a single fight, you get a malus on the fighting ability of all the units involved? If you throw in like 20 units at the same time, they'll basically fight at 0%.

And that French bubble in Germany is frightening... may be it's time to stop the offensive into France and instead seal off and destroy the advancing Frenchmen?

08intro.png

Berlin, 22 June 1940

Two weeks have passed since Hitler returned from the timeshift caused by a Belgian weapon of math destruction. With the führer back in the seat of power, the Governator returned from the daily political arena to concentrate on more pressing topics, like trying to prevent the French to force Germany to surrender. Their advance was frightening, their conquest of important cities staggering. It was a kind of blitzkrieg, something he had wanted to unleash upon them. If left unchecked the French would soon conquer enough to force Hitler to sign an even more demeaning treaty than Versailles. Luckily the Governator had a plan to prevent that from happening.

08a.png

A joyful Governator shakes hands with Hitler: he's about to update him with his plans.

Governator: Welcome Hitler. I'm glad that you could leave the hot tube for a change, and join us for an important strategical meeting.
Hitler: Hot tubes are important too! That's why I ordered to put wheels under my hot tube. Now it can be driven to any place. For example, this conference room.
Governator: Right... I hope you're not going to have a bath in the middle of a strategic meeting?
Hitler: Too late!
Governator: My poor microchips! Frying them is better than the sight of a naked führer diving in a hot tube.
Hitler: Don't be so absurd. I'm the führer, so I may swing everything I want around here! Hey! Governator, I'm talking to you.
Gauss: I think he automatically shut down. This sight is pretty frightfull...
Einstein: Please, get in the hot tube, for Science sake.
Hitler: Alright, alright. But you don't know what you're missing!
Einstein: I prefer to keep it that way.
Hitler: You had something to show me?
Gauss: Yes. Together with Einstein and the Governator, I designed a plan to save Germany from total collapse.
Hitler: We can't collapse! We're Germany.
Einstein: Remind me why we want to save Germany with such a lunatic as a leader...
Gauss: Because they're the main force that fights against the Belgian terminators that want to conquer the world, Einstein. And Hitler: of course we can collapse, just like any country Germany has conquered so far. But have no fear, for we got a plan. Einstein, you have the honours now that the Governator is out.
Einstein: Thank you, Gauss. As you know, governments are forced to surrender once enough of their important cities are captured. We're doing everything we can to prevent the French to conquer all of Germany, but maybe they might not have to: if they ever capture Berlin while we haven't made any precautions, that might tip the balance. People might force you to surrender.
Hitler: Never!
Gauss: We're here to make sure that happens.
Einstein: Indeed. The thought is very simple: if enough important cities fall, we surrender. To prevent surrender, we need to enlarge the amount of important cities, to prevent this from happening.
Gauss: That's why the Governator declared war on Sweden earlier this month: to gain more important cities, so that we won't have to surrender.
Hitler: But is it really pressing? We're the almighty Germany!
de Gaulle: Bonjour!
Hitler: Arrr! The French! They're in Berlin. How's that possible?
Gauss: I told you it was important. Quickly Einstein, let's grab the Governator and run for our backup-capital.
Hitler: What about me?
Gauss: You've got hot wheels. Ride!
Hitler: Grmbl... Those wheels are too small. Most of my water is breaking!

I lost Berlin to the French: all my stockpiles of resources are stolen, and Bitburg is the new capital.

Bitburg, 17 July 1940

Almost a month had passed since Berlin fell to the French. They had plundered all the resource stockpiles, leaving the German war machine incapacitated even more. But the soldiers fought on. The entire German high-command had been able to escape Berlin, and everyone had moved to Bitburg, the backup-capital. Generals had used this place to coordinate their western attacks, altough it was now more a frantic defense.

Einstein: This is not going well. We need the Governator now!
Gauss: I'm working on it. He did fry some of his microchips. Have you got any idea how hard it is for a nineteenth century mathematician to create new microchips with his bare hands?
Einstein: Well, if anyone can do it, it's you. You created Gauss rifles from paperclips and chewing gum, even while those two weren't available to you!
Gauss: I know, I know, I'm the God in the Machine. Ah, this was the problem! I just had to push his buttons.
Governator: I. Am. The Governator.
Einstein: What a corny wake-up line. Help us, Governator. You're our only hope.
Governator: What's the date and the status?
Gauss: Today it's the 17th of July. Almost a month has passed since the fall of Berlin. We need your tactical expertise to prevent our new capital, Bitburg, to be captured by enemy hands.
Governator: Whose bright idea was it to set up the capital near the border with the terminators? It doesn't matter now. Give me numbers, give me information.
Einstein: Remember our army trapped in that Belgium city of Aalst, failing to break through to Tournai? Yes? Well, they're gone.
Governator: What... how?
Einstein: Last month they got surrounded. Terminators fired upon their defences from all places. Even tough they had dug in, the Belgians knew the terrain. Earlier this month the city finally fell. Most armours were destroyed in the final battle. The soldiers that survived the onslaught were assimilated: they're now being rebuild into Belgians.
Governator: The horror! That's a terrible war crime. So you're saying our entire western front is completely defenseless?
Gauss: Not entirely.... We've still got our North Sea defence.
Governator: Use it to hold the Belgians a bay as long as possible. They should not be allowed to enter our occupied Netherlands.
Einstein: Too late, guv'. They defeated us in Maastricht and are marching through their northern neighbours as we speak.

The Belgians captured Aalst and destroyed my entire conquest army along with almost all my armours, and successfully invaded the Netherlands.

Governator: Things are not going well. Where is Hitler?
Gauss: He and his personal guard are working on some secret project. I believe he said something about 'improving the movement of a hot tube'.
Einstein: That makes even less sense than he normally does.
Suddenly the ground started to shake. Water in glasses rippled, windows pulsed, dust whirled up.
Hitler: Here I am, with a new and improved bath tube.
Einstein: Holy Relativity...
Gauss: Where did you get the skill to build... That?
Jürgen: He had some help.
Gauss: Figures. We should talk one day, Jürgen.
Governator: This is interesting. For once, I do like your hot tube.
Mussolini: Hot tubes... Hah! It would only be any good if it had a bionic bimbo.
Hitler: Aw... But this tube has legs too! And I don't see your average woman carrying two gattling guns. And if that doesn't work, I still got my pencil of mass destruction.
Governator: Don't mind that mean Mussolini: I like it.
Leopold: Terminate. Terminate. Terminate.
Einstein: Oh no, it's the Belgians. Run for your lives!
Hitler: Don't worry, I'll fence them off.
Governator: Negative. You're too important to loose. We need to evacuate immediately. And this time I pick the new capital.

08d.png

Hitler proudly shows the Governator his new bath tub.

Warsaw, 14 September 1940

The retreat from Bitburg was done pretty quickly. Most stuff was still in boxes, and could be moved in an instant. Still, the Belgians stole most of the new resources Germany had gathered. Once again the country was at the brink of economical collapse, while fighting a loosing war. Luckily high command was able to find a new place to set up their camp.

Einstein: I still can't believe that Warsaw is the new German capital. Of all places you picked this one!
Governator: It's far away from the Belgians. I don't see the problem. The local Jews were glad to provide us with a new home.
Einstein: Never mind... You've got a heart of irony.
Gauss: I'm glad to report that our plan has been a success.
Hitler: Tell me! Tell me!
Gauss: Thanks to our Scandinavian conquests, we are not forced to surrender. Else we might have had a big problem...
Hitler: Yay!
Einstein: Are you sure we need him as a figurehead of state?
Governator: I'm starting to regret it already...
Gauss: Anyway, a week after the Belgian conquest of Bitburg, Sweden finally surrendered. We immediately moved west and invaded Norway.
Hitler: Wasn't Sweden enough?
Einstein: No. And furthermore, Norway provides a nice bridgepoint between Greenland and our mainland.
Hitler: Why would we go to our possessions in Greenland?
Einstein: To free Iceland. We can't para-drop from Norway, only from Greenland.
Hitler: That justifies it all. Go conquer Norway!
Gauss: We did. In nine days the Norse were forced to surrender, and were added to the expanding German Reich. Then we moved eastwards, to conquer Finland.
Hitler: But they were doing their best to ally with us!
Gauss: I know, I know. Don't be sad: they died for a good cause. We needed their important cities too. And now we got a nice big border with the Soviet Union.
Governator: That can be both a good and a bad thing.
Gauss: Time will tell. They surrendered just eleven days after we decalred war on them. Using them as a buffer against the Soviet Union wasn't much use. If we can do it so fast, the Soviets can do it too.
Governator: Altough Stalin doesn't have three time travellers running the country.

Sweden, Norway and Finland all surrendered to my ten armour divisions and a few paratroopers.

Germany is at the brink of surrender. Twice their capital has fallen into enemy hands, and only their Scandinavian conquests had saved them from total disaster. Still they were in dire straits. But to turn the tide a miracle would be needed. Their main armour army gone, their manpower depleted, still a giant lack of officers and the brink of economical collapse. Furthermore, most of their industrial capacity was now in French hands. The future looked dim.

Europe on 14 September 1940

Author's note:
From one of my earlier attempts, I knew that if I first conquered Norway and then Sweden, the Swedish would take quite some large parts of Norway, making it more difficult for me to Finnish the job. So I decided to first take on them, and then take out the other Scandinavian countries.

Hehe, I fell asleep last night. Anyway, this evening I'll be very busy, so the next chapter will be up tomorrow.

ROMMEL_HSQ: :cool:

Baltasar: I do know it now: unfortunately that's a bit too late. But there were two more factors contributing to the Belgian armour demise: lack of officers (I'm below the 50%... That's terribly bad. I did my best to slowly crawl up, but it wasn't in time) and lack of manpower (at the moment I'm still something like 800 manpower short... that enormous army is draining too much men from my economy: I guess I build a too large army). In the end this Belgian adventure costed me 87 brigades of armour. Ouch!

09intro.png

Greenland, 1 January 1941

A cold wind blazed over the white plains. Ice and snow were everywhere the naked eye could see. A lone polar bear had caught a prey and wasn't in the mood to be disturbed. When he heard a roaring sound coming from the east, he stood up and gave a roar no man can match. Still it was nothing compared to the sound coming from over the ocean. Not understanding what he saw, the bear faced several four-engine places flying over him. He tried to hit this annoyance with his mighty claws, but it flew too high to be touched. Even tough he saw that the planes landed several kilometres away from him, he decided that his fresh prey was worth more trouble than these flying gods of thunder. There had been more of them the past few months. He didn't travel that much south any more: those planes had brought too many humans and their stinking habits. He sat down and took another bite. As long as they didn't touch his prey, he didn't care that the Germans were vastly industrializing Greenland.

After the plane had touched down on the landing strip and its roaring engines fell silent, the doors opened and a couple of people left the machine. Packed tightly in thick fur coats they were still shacking by the furious cold. The few soldiers that had dared to wait outside saluted, and quickly guided the new arrivals to one of the many buildings around the airfield.

Jürgen: Welcome in Greenland, herr führer, time travelling bastards.
Hitler: It's so cold out here. Can't you do anything about it?
Jürgen: During the winter it's always cold, and this place is just an extreme case. The only thing I can do is keep us warm inside.
Gauss: The airfield is running smoothly I see, and the industry is coming along nicely. You've done well, my young apprentice.
Jürgen: Thank you. Ever since you put me in charge of Greenland last September I tried to make the best of it. Please, come with me into this building: this is our Atlantic command center.

The new arrivals followed Jürgen through a series of thick doors into a pretty warm building. There they walked to a conference room. The walls were covered with all kinds of different photo's from the past few months. A secretary brought hot chocolate to the guests, who gratefully accepted. With the temperatures in this part of the world you'd gladly accept any hot drink.

A few of the photo's hanging on the walls of the Atlantic command centre.

Einstein: I see you've made a picture of the first Greenland rocket launch.
Jürgen: We are pretty proud of that. It was pretty hard to get good rocket launch over here.
Einstein: Although I wonder why you'd want to build such large rockets over here. What do you want to do with them?
Governator: Because we want to travel to the Moon.
Einstein: Why? Why the Moon?
Hitler: Because we like da moon!
Einstein: But... but... It's not very energy efficient to launch rockets to outer space from Greenland!
Hitler: It is up there very high, but not as high as maybe dirigibles or zeppelins or lightbulbs and maybe clouds.
Einstein: Gauss, help me! Hitler is getting heavy mental.
Gauss: Einstein is right. You'd be better off building a base in Brazil then at this cold, cold ground.
Governator: And draw attention to our plans? No, here nobody is watching us and can we do anything we want. Our first steps are made, and soon Greenland will be heavily industrialized, so we can build all parts at this forsaken region. Greenland will be the spearpoint to the German Space Conquest.
Einstein: Right... Are you sure Hitler hasn't infected you? No, don't tell me: some things are better left untouched.

While the time travellers continued to argue about the final frontier and exploration beyond their imagination, Jürgen opened a drawer and took some maps.

Jürgen: If I may interrupt you, gentlemen: this is why you're really here, I suppose: Iceland.
Gauss: Yes. The war has been very hard on the mainland. Tell us how you've been faring here in the North Atlantic.
Jürgen: When I arrived here in September, there was nothing. I knew that the liberation of Iceland had to be staged from here, but without any supplies that would be pretty hard.
Einstein: No ship could get past the Royal Navy. How did you manage to build up this place?
Jürgen: The first rudimentary materials were smuggled under the water. We used das boot: our submarines managed to get our basic materials to this white wasteland. Once a basic airstrip was set up, we started to bring in the airplanes.
Governator: Affirmative. Once you send us confirmation that the base was operational, our planes, stationed in Norway, flew with as many paratroopers towards your base.
Hitler: Couldn't we just attack from Norway?
Gauss: No, Iceland is a bit too far for our transport planes to attack and savely return. In order to free Iceland, we had to establish a base over here. And what kind of base... Soon Greenland will be even more important than, say, Denmark.
Hitler: Everything is more important than Denmark! Don't you dare say that evil name again.
Jürgen: Anyway... Once the paratroopers were flown in, and the planes had received a new shipment of fuel, we started the airborne attack on Iceland. It took us two weeks, but then the English were finally kicked form the island.

After an airborne attack, I freed Iceland.

Einstein: Good to hear that Iceland is free. But why did you need the navy if you got everything under control?
Jürgen: Because the British Empire strikes back. They send a fleet themselves and invaded in the south.
Gauss: So that's why you requested more paratroopers as the month progressed.
Jürgen: Yes: initially the English drove us back.
Hitler: How dare you? No Ice land shall be given up!
Gauss: Please ignore him.
Jürgen: I don't know if it was the yoyo or his hot tube, but I definately lost my devotion to him. I'm glad I spend the past few months over here.
Einstein: Yes, you were lucky. We had to drag him around the continent... How did you manage to drive the superior British force back?
Jürgen: With the help of the Icelanders themselves. After our liberation the resistance was officially turned into an army, who helped us to fight off these invaders. The navy you send us managed to scare the last few British ships away, even tough we paid a high price for that: quite a few of our ships sank. But no more new soldiers stepped on Icelandic soil.
Hitler: Hurray! Crush the English! Let them starve in the belly of a whale.
Jürgen: The new paratroopers were send right in their lap. While the English were busy fighting against our space invaders, the other forced on the island moved in. It took us the whole month of November to gain enough ground to finally make a difference. They were tough.
Einstein: But in the end we won.
Jürgen: Yes. on 10 December the English were finally driven off Iceland, making it a free country once again.
Gauss: Your battle here in the Atlantic is of uttermost importance. Ever since our attack on Denmark, Iceland stood symbol for this entire war. Decolonization, freedom: those are the values nazi Germany wants to give to the world.
Einstein: That's something I still can't believe, not even after all these months. Maybe the Belgian terminators are a blessing for the world...
Governator: Negative. Never trust a country with more than one official language. That's why we invaded the Netherlands first: they have two official languages, while the Belgians have even three.
Hitler: I speak more than one language.
Governator: And that's what's driving you mad, herr Hitler.

The United Kingdom didn't give up: they invaded Iceland again. But this time I was ready, and together with the Icelanders I fenced off the attack.

Jürgen: Well, I've been a bit out of touch here. Please tell me how the homeland is doing. Is it still as bad as it was when I left for this place?
Governator: Negative. The tide has turned.
Einstein: Well, at first we had to flee again. The French followed is to Warsaw and stole - again - all our stockpiles of resources when they captured the city.
Jürgen: That's why I had trouble getting my supplies for the airborne attack on Iceland.
Einstein: That's right. In order to prevent total collapse, we had to make a very bald move.
Governator: Affirmative. We had intended this as a last resort. Unfortunately that resort was desperately needed.
Jürgen: What did you do...
Einstein: We pulled back all our forces from the Soviet border in order to drive the French back.
Jürgen: Hasn't time travel deformed your head enough already? What are you thinking? Opening up our border for those Bolsheviks... Where's my gun: I'll shoot you through the head till you're dead! That'll teach you.
Gauss: Please calm down: nothing bad has happened yet. We even have friendly relations with our eastern red neighbours, and trade is commencing on a daily basis. But I agree, it's a huge risk we took.
Jürgen: Hmbrl... But tell me, was this risk worth it?
Einstein: Absolutely. With a little help from the Slovenians and a few Hungarian brigades, we were able to halt the French blitzkrieg. We even managed to drive them back! Soon we'll have retaken Germany.
Jürgen: And then the France homeland...
Gauss: No need for that: our Italian friends have managed to conquer most of France already.
Mussolini: Everything Ceasar can do, I can do better! Fear my army of bath tubes with bionic bimbo's!
Hitler: You stole my bath tube designs!
Herr Frick: Technically, I stole them, and gave them to my superbest green friend over here.
Hitler: Why? Who o why?
Herr Frick: With the German war industry in French hands, you can't do much, can you? No, the Italians were more than happy to use these plans to make the breakthrough we needed. Now France will surely crumble.
Hitler: This makes me so sad.

09d.png

Hitler is sad because herr Frick stole his bath tub plans and sold them to the Italians.

Jürgen: When I get this right, all of France will soon be Italian?
Einstein: All of France? No... one little village will be ours.
Gauss: We send paratroopers to Paris. It's my hope that we'll capture the city first and claim it our own.
Mussolini: That's cheating! You can't send paratroopers in to snatch Paris away from me.
Gauss: Ah, so you'd prefer to take on by yourself the Belgian terminators that have dug in in the city of love for God knows what reason?
Mussolini: Ehm... Never mind that... You may have Paris, and I take the rest of France.
Gauss: Good boy.
Jürgen: If I may interrupt... I'd like to know one last thing: you told me that Warsaw fell. What's the new capital?
Governator: There was only one city fittingly enough for Germany to serve as a capital: Stockholm, the place where everyone is called Johan. We're lining everyone up as we speak to add an extra 'n' behind their name, to make them true Germans.
Einstein: That's not possible. This is a paradox!
Gauss: I'm afraid we can't do much about that. Not with the Belgians running free, and doing better than the French. Those terminators are a pest to the world, and need to be destroyed.

Outside a freezing breeze blew over the cleared airstrip, while the men continued to talk inside. The war against the Allies may have reached a turning point, but at what price? Would the Soviets use this opportunity to invade, or would a few trades be enough to hold them a bay? For now these men were save and sound in the compound on the future industrial centre of the world: Greenland.

Europe on 1 January 1941. Belgium has a bigger name than France.

Author's note:
Yes, I know it's a big risk to pull back all my forces from the Soviet borders. But what choice do I have at this point?Germany was about to fall, and they might have been the only thing that prevented further disaster. And on the other hand, the Italians are doing a surprisingly good job in France. I hope my paratroopers manage to capture Paris, so I have a little bit of those war spoils too.

I'll do my best to have the next chapter up somewhere tonight, else it will be tomorrow: the last day of the competition. Whatever happens, I'll meet the minimum of ten chapters on time. Hurray!

loki100: I was afraid this was going all wrong like my previous two attempts, but now I got some hope back. Maybe I can even draw a stalemate out of it? That would be a huge victory compared to the last few times. And a floating capital... that's a nice idea :). Maybe when the technology has advanced far enough that it will be possible.

Last edited:
This AAR is quite entertaining. Love the "my god" jokes for Einstein :).

There is one thing though. Iceland was almost independent at that time. In 1918 Denmark granted us independence in all areas besides foreign matters, defense of the country and during this time the head of Iceland, powerless but still the head of Iceland, was the Danish king. And we were to remain in the union for 25 years when we could leave it. And 25 years later and some months the Kingdom of Iceland became the Republic of Iceland and with that we achieved full independence.

But just ignore that. I can't really expect that foreigners now about our struggle for independence. I would f.e. have to look up the date when USA, this huge country which is 1000 times larger by population than Iceland, repelled against the UK.
And look at f.e. the German invasion of Sweden, which did not happen, or the fact terminators and time travelers did not fight during ww2 :D. This is clearly a separate timeline or in a paralleled universe.

Seconded. I like the maps very much, are you editing them with Photoshop? The dialogs are also hilarious. I'm imagining the voice of the governator being like the parody of the umbilical brothers.

10intro.png

Paris, 9 February 1941

'Free ice cream' the few signs floating through the streets said. Mussolini had thrown a big parade after the conquest of the city of love, and had tried to cool the heated resistance down with the most effective way he knew. Hitler and the Governator had been Germany's representatives during the festivities, but now that the official part was over, they found themselves wandering through the many streets, pondering what had happened the past two weeks.

Hitler: This should have been our parade, with Mussolini as a guest!
Governator: Affirmative. Our paratroopers had been fighting the terminators for a whole month, not those Italians. It's still hard to phantom what happened there.
Hitler: They came looking around when the terminators were already on the retreat. What I should have done, was... Ooohh, ice cream!
Governator: No, Hitler, you already had an ice cream today.
Hitler: But I'm the führer! I wanna wanna wanna.
Governator: *sight* Alright, but it's going to be the last one for today. Give me a hand, we need to cross the street.
Some people gave strange looks when the well-known führer gave the muscled man a hand, but no-one dared to say anything about it. Cars stopped even tough they weren't at a zebra crossing. At the other site of the road stood an ice cream man with his cart. His black mustage was full, unlike the short spark of hair above Hitler's lip. In his red cloths he looked more like a plumber than an ice cream merchant. All Italians had used the occasion to become expert icemen.
Iceman: It's-a you, Hitler!
Hitler: You bet I am! Now gimme ice ice baby.
Iceman: Here we go!
Governator: And what do we say to the nice ice cream man?
Hitler: Gimme more!
Einstein: Ah, there you guys are, we were looking for you.
Gauss: There will be another film and photo session at the Eiffel Tower in an hour or so. Do you think Hitler can handle that?
Governator: As long as he doesn't spill any of this ice cream, he'll be fine. He's still able to pose and to give inspiring speeches, even tough they make less sense each passing day.
Einstein: How's it possible that a leader that has plunged the world into war is acting like a child? Not capable any more to understand the complex political intrigues that he once had set up by himself?
Governator: If we wait a little bit longer we can do some tests without him noticing. I'm sure it's some kind of decease, or maybe a trauma from the first World War.
Gauss: I guess he had it going for quite a while. Think about those yoyos and his hot tubes. But the past two weeks it has been getting even worse.
Einstein: Hitler hasn't been the same since Mussolini stole Paris.
Gauss: How did he do it? Our men were fighting in these streets for over a month. The last days, when the Belgians were retreating, he comes along and grabs the entire city form our grasp!
Governator: It's a matter of advancing armies. When you fight with allies - no, not Allies - and conquer some piece of land bordering their territory, your conquered land automatically will be claimed in their name. This prevents patchworks of scattered lands to form.
Gauss: And I thought that armies and battles in my century were weird.

Paris fell on 30 January 1941, but the Italians seized that city in front of the Germans. The French government fled to Lille, but when that city fell to the Italians, they took up residence in Metz.

The group continues their stroll towards the Eiffel Tower, where a lot of photographers and even people from the cinema journals are waiting for the führer and his companions. Before they emerged form the alley, Gauss stopped them all.

Gauss: Before we do this, I really need to be sure that he can do it.
Einstein: If the Governator says so, I believe him. He has spend the whole day with him.
Hitler: Hey! Don't talk like I'm not here. That's rude.
Einstein: We know you're here, but you're just not important anymore.
Gauss: Don't belittle him like that. He can't help it that he's a moron.
Hitler: Hey! I'm not a moron.
Gauss: Well, then look me in the eyes, and say after me: 'Ich bin ein Berliner.'
Hitler: Ich... Bin... Laden?
Einstein: You see? Hopeless.
Governator: Knock it, you two. He has to face the media one day, and sooner is better than later, looking at the rate his brain is failing.
Einstein: That will leave us in charge of Nazi Germany... By Mercury, that's not something I signed up for when I started to travel through time!
Governator: Then you should have read the small letters before inventing it.
Einstein: There were?
Gauss: Yeah, even I read them. Come, let's do this. Hitler: we are going to see some people. Don't say much, or else the Danes will haunt you tonight.
Hitler: Not the Danes!
Gauss: When we'll stand there, in front of the Eiffel Tower, you need to concentrate on the sky. There you can see Iceland!
Einstein: Really?
Gauss: Well, in the clouds we can see anything.
When they emerged from their alley, all media turned their attention towards the führer. He waved a little bit like he had done so many times the past few years, he shook some hands. Then it was time for a photo. Hitler looked up in the sky, while the Governator sat beside him, to make sure nothing strange would happen.
Hitler: Gauss was right: I can see Iceland high in the sky.
Governator: Shut up, fool.
Hitler: No, really: it's like a map up there. Iceland, France, Italy...
Governator: You're right... Those clouds do look like... Wait a minute, I've got an idea for teaching those Italians a lesson. Alright people, the photo session is over. The führer needs to get back to work.
Hitler: Really? Can I have some more ice cream while we're at it?
Governator: *sight*

10b.png

Finally Hitler arrived in Paris, although not under the conditions he had hoped. The Governator was already thinking of a plan to retaliate on the Italians.

Stockholm, 16 February 1941

A week had passed since Hitler's visit to Paris. Now he's back in Stockholm, the capital of Germany. Tied up to a chair, he isn't in a position most führers would like to find themselves in.

Hitler: Release me! I'm the führer!
Governator: I'm sorry, but this is something we just have to do. Maybe it's not for your best, but at least it will be for ours.
Hitler: You can't treat me like this. I rule the most powerful country in the world, for yoyo's sake!
Einstein: We've done more ruling the past year than you could do in a lifetime.
Hitler: Release me before I... Oh, shiny!
Einstein: Where do you need such a saw for?
Governator: There's only one way we can see what's going on in his skull. If we want to cure him, we do need to dig deeper.
Einstein: Now this is what I signed up for. While we're at it, could you tell me what you've been doing for the past week?
Governator: It's a surprise. You'll see in two weeks.
Einstein: Does it have to do with the airborne assaults on Berlin and Leipzig?
Governator: You'll see. But I can say that paratroopers are preparing as we speak to fly to Dresden, Erfurt and Rostock.
Einstein: Ah, you're going to force France to surrender. But that would mean all of France would cede to Mussolini.
Governator: Just you...
Gauss: Hey guys, have you heard the news... What the... What are you doing with Hitler?
Hitler: It's a trap!
Einstein: He still talks!
Governator: Let's all calm down now. Gauss, what did you want to say?
Gauss: Erm... Well... The Belgians, the spoke with the Dutch queen, and... please, could someone put something over his head?
Hitler: I'm not dead yet.
Governator: You will be.
Gauss: Thanks. The Dutch queen has agreed to join the Allies. In return the terminators liberated the Netherlands. Holland is back in business.
Governator: How unlike those machines. What would have driven them to giving up half their conquered territory? There has to be a catch.
Gauss: Maybe we should recapture the place and have a look?
Governator: We certainly will. But first things first. Could you hand me that transmitter?

The Netherlands was liberated by the Belgian terminators.

Stockholm, 1 March 1941

Mussolini: Hitler! What have you done? Why? Why did you take it all away from me? And how? Stop drooling and answer me!
Hitler: I scream ice cream.
Mussolini: Answer me! You took it all. Everything is lost now.
Governator: Leave him alone. He had some serious surgery, and needs to recover. All your questions will have to go through me for now.
Mussolini: Then tell me right now why I lost all my gains in Africa.
Governator: When we took some of our cities back, France hadn't had enough important cities left to continue to struggle.
Mussolini: I understand that, and I see how they were forced to surrender due to this. But why create a second France? Vichy France they call themselves.
Governator: Because you took Paris from under our noses. You've got that city, and as a response I managed to gather enough support for the creation of a brand new France.
Mussolini: But they are shifting towards the Allies! They will be a new problem soon.
Governator: Not soon. But by the time we might fight them, we will be ready.
Mussolini: It's not fair.
Governator: Don't complain: you still got Paris. And don't worry, we'll find a way one day to connect the different parts of your country.

The Vichy scheme was enacted.

Einstein: Ah, there you are. Can I borrow Hitler?
Governator: Of course. Here's the remote control.
Mussolini: Remote control?
Hitler: Is it time for my hot tube?
Einstein: No, I've got something even better for you.
Hitler: Yay!
Mussolini: What the... What has happened to him?
Governator: He argued too much. You were saying...?
Mussolini: Nothing...
Governator: That's what I thought.

A very confused Mussolini left the room, leaving the Governator truly smiling for the first time since he arrived in Hitler's study. News that something had happened to the führer was leaking to the outside world, but that didn't matter. The Soviets were mobilizing because of this, but even they couldn't stop him. Not now. Not after he finally regained his mission details, something that he had deemed lost due to Jürgen's bullet. Soon the world would learn why he came back. But when they did, it would be too late.

Europe on 1 March 1941

Author's note:
I was greatly disappointed that, when I conquered Paris, Italy received the province. But then I capture Berlin: France collapsed and Vichy France was formed. I laughed very hard at the Italian loss there.

I've now met the minimum requierments for the Writing with the StAARs competition. Just in time, I say! Now I can relax a little bit. It takes me between 1 and 1.5 days full-time to create a chapter (I had a head start when I started posting). That's excluding the time I need to actually play the game. So far I played till the end of this chapter. The coming weekend I'll be practically away most of the time, so the next chapter will be somewhere next week. I'm sorry for that, but I really need some time to create more chapters. Also, I'll continue in a less fast posting rate. One or two a day is really something I can't keep up.

Thanks everyone!

olvirki: I didn't know that Iceland was already practically independent at that time. I guess the German propaganda machine worked even better than I could have imagined, since everyone in this timeline, including Icelanders themselves, saw the Danish as truly evil overlords. I raised the thread level of Denmark till even the United Kingdom was afraid of them. That's how I got the idea for a German rescue war :D. Timetravel does screw up many things, so I agree that this is a separate timeline or parallel universe. Else I wouldn't play 'Hearts of Iron', but 'Yoyo's of Iron'.

ROMMEL_HSQ: They're not there yet. Let's first see how they think they can launch a rocket form Greenland.

mnplastic: Berlin is so overrated... Too bad I couldn't choose the new capital myself, else Greenland would be definately a 'hot' spot: it's much closer to the great nation of Iceland.

Baltasar: I use Gimp, but that's the same idea. I've made a mall for the maps using this tutorial, so I can easily insert screenshots and create a new map. I take for each map three screenshots (zoomed out to the maximum): one general overview of Europe, one of the left upper corner that I use to delete the control bar, and one of the lower right corner, to delete the minimap. After I combine these three screenshots, I insert them into my 'map'-mall, use a fancy font to write the date, combine all different layers and make a dropshadow for it. I make first the large one you get when you click the picture, then I resize it to 800 pixels wide.

Last edited:
Europe is indeed very weird. But the war isn't over yet, so who knows what strangeness emerges. And that cartoon... Just wow! I'll have to see that cartoon once it's finished.

I was much away this weekend, and the past few days I reinstalled my computer. So now I can finally start working on the next chapter. I guess it will be up tomorrow or Friday, depending on how much I can do.

This was absolutely awesome. Can't wait for more! (More is coming, I hope. :().

More will come, but unfortunately I haven't found the time yet to work on it :(. When I worked on these ten chapters, I let everything else slide. Then the real world caught up with me. But don't worry, I'll get back to it.

More will come, but unfortunately I haven't found the time yet to work on it :(. When I worked on these ten chapters, I let everything else slide. Then the real world caught up with me. But don't worry, I'll get back to it.

I will wait with bated breath, then.