Stellaris to be First Ever Grand Strategy Game to Land on Consoles

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Reviews aren't really the right topic for this thread...
Thats Correct! are Spoilers?
Will there mouse support on Ps4 and xbox one? could make a huge difference for alot of people.

I think what a lot of people don't realize is that this isn't really for most Paradox fans. Very few fans are going to choose to play on a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard. I think the main goal of bringing Paradox games to console is to create a new fan base, bringing Paradox's excellent games to gamers who have never experienced them before (most likely because they don't game on PC).

The first console I ever bought was the Switch and I was pleasentlx surprised how well controllers work for navigating UIs which are made for it. It is movement and amining that I find difficulty because I'm used to wasd +mouse. I don't see why the game should not work well with a controller.

Any chance you make it crossplay, so players from PC can play with our dirty peasant friends on consoles?

Also, if this turns out to work fine, will you port other games of yours (EU4, CK2, HOI3/4, Vic2 even...)?

Developing Stellaris for PS4 and Xbox seems to me to be a resource mess. If you want to play at Stellaris at home, as much benefit from the flexibility and capabilities of one of the PC versions.

In my opinion, only a Nintendo Switch version of Stellaris would have an interest alongside the PC versions. Taking Stellaris with me on my Nintendo Switch would have been tempting. Yet this is the console that Paradox dodges, as usual. :(

Last edited:
Love the ambition Team PDX/Tantalus :). My PS4 died about a month ago, and to be fair I prefer a GSG with a mouse/kb, but I think expanding your audience to console is a great idea (and that Stellaris, more than any other Paradox game, given the nice 'space' between star systems making thumbstick-driven cursor selection easier, is the best fit).

Releasing a console version of a GSG is going to be one hotly discussed decision.

I can't help but think that the game will be nigh unplayable, especially with tile system still in place (before 2.2). As I can't think of one advantage playing on a pad would bring compared to the conventional approach.

I would welcome to be proven wrong.

Not that it could ever convince me to discard mouse and keyboard. For virtually any game I play for that matter.

@TinyWiking, any particular reason why I can't rate posts (agree/disagree/helpful) in this particular thread?

For me, the advantage of console is more about the stability of the build and reliability of performance, although a gamepad is usually ergonomically a step up from a mouse/kb. That said, PDS these days is rock-solid stability-wise, so the benefit here is less than it would have been, say, fifteen years ago (do I sound old yet? :p). Back when I was healthier, I played everything except GSGs on console*, but these days I struggle to keep up with the pace of faster games, so pretty much only play GSGs, so when my PS4 (still on Netflix duty until then - I prefer the PS4's UI to the web browser) died it wasn't replaced.

* I strongly dislike (just personally - absolutely nothing wrong with others preferring mouse/kb) first-person shooters with a mouse and kb, it feels like a point-and-click adventure on steroids. There's something about the extra difficulty of aiming with a thumbstick that feels a bit more authentic relative to actually aiming a real rifle/handgun/lmg - mouse/kb makes it so damn easy the gameplay doesn't feel like I'm running around with a gun at all. Of course, a lightgun-based shooter is the best option here short of paintball (or rubber bullets!) :).

This is crazy. With current UI it would be impossible to play on console. Creating special UI for it?

Can anybody remember any decent PC RTS port to consoles? I cannot. They have their own, but usually different from PC.
But i can remember how attempt to make a Supreme Commander for consoles killed the whole series.

And why they think Console players are interested in it?
RA3 played very well on Xbox 360 and that was 10 years ago, I'm sure the game will be fine on consoles. I do worry about the decision to start with 1.7 since the change to 2.0 is the one most controversial change to the game and most console players won't understand what's going on when suddenly they are forced to use hyperlanes a few months after release.

I also hope a Switch version is a possibility for the future.

As someone who has played Paradox Games for roughly 13 years now and has both a high powered rig and a PS4 Pro, I think this is a great idea and may even rebuy the game if I can convince some of my PS4 friends to play. Plus I've been dying for really any decent strategy games for console since Old ROTK(last awesome one was 8 for PS2) and Panzer General for PS1. This is a market that is wide open for you guys to take. Please make sure the port is done right and that the control scheme works properly and I think you guys are going to get paid. Also it's pretty insulting to read some of the crap on here stating console owners will force the "dumbing down"of the game, It's just kind of a ridiculous assumption considering all of their games have really been the only show in town consistently for this genre of game for over a decade(don't tell me AEGOD please lol they are trash).

Last edited:
Developing Stellaris for PS4 and Xbox seems to me to be a resource mess. If you want to play at Stellaris at home, as much benefit from the flexibility and capabilities of one of the PC versions.

In my opinion, only a Nintendo Switch version of Stellaris would have an interest alongside the PC versions. Taking Stellaris with me on my Nintendo Switch would have been tempting. Yet this is the console that Paradox dodges, as usual. :(

I don't see a switch being able to run Stellaris late game.

I was a little surprised when Tantalus told us that the tutorial tips are triggered after you do something, rather than before you do it... we still have a lot to learn about tutorials and making it easier to understand what the game is doing and what you, as a player, are supposed to be doing. Accessibility, as we call it, is probably the major development area we are focused on improving as a company, just last week we commissioned our User Research team to do a massive study in this area in hopes of making future PDS games easier to pick up and get into, without reducing their complexity.

Sounds good, since in todays gaming markets you are faced with a lot of competition to begin with and also most people probably don`t have the time or the energy to spend much time on learning how to use a game UI themselves. So the easier you make it for people to play your games with good tutorials etc. the more people most likely will both play and enjoy them.

I got the game for my brother during one sale, because he seemed interested in it despite never playing any strategy games because he is mostly a console gamer. He played it for a couple of hours, but said there were too many things going on at once and didn't even know where to start, so hopefully this version will be easier to get into.

First up, this is awesome news! I don't own a console, but I'm all for more strategy games on that format.
I am concerned that Stellaris is still very much in a state of flux with it's core mechanics, what with the jump from 1.x to 2.0 and the changes to planets on the way. I wonder if it would have been easier to start with a more mature game like CK2. But I don't know how adaptable to console CK2 would be compared to Stallaris, maybe not very.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with, and if possible a devblog (or even better, podcast) talking about the process and how you plan to handle the big patch to 2.0 and later the planet update.

There's something about the extra difficulty of aiming with a thumbstick that feels a bit more authentic relative
I am all for the feeling of authenticity but it's much easier to achieve with VR and an actual mock gun (I had the chance of testing one during PDXCon and it was quite nice). Adding extra difficulty just for the sake of adding authenticity is not a good argument too me. But of course everybody should play how it pleases them, who am I to judge.

Funny to me the majority of users here are negative on the franchise spreading to console platforms.

The success and proliferation of the game can only mean good things for us fans.

Keep in mind we the current fans aren't exactly the target audience here. Everything has to start somewhere.