Stellaris to be First Ever Grand Strategy Game to Land on Consoles

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Strikes me it would make far more sense to start with 2.0 but good luck regardless.
Since they are presenting a playable version at Gamescon this week, it is a good guess that porting to consoles will have started a long time before 2.0 was released.

And given that it is insane unwise expensive to have a porting team chase a moving goal of "try to catch up with our DLCs before we release any port" rather than pursuing a fixed goal of porting a stable code base and then working on catching up afterwards, my best guess is that real work began some time after 1.7 was considered stable. (Quite possibly with earlier feasibility study.)

But of course there might be other reasons, I'm just guessing. I'd be deeply surprised if any porting team, no matter how good, that didn't have experience with the Stellaris code base in advance, would be able to port 2.0 in the period after release to have a decently playable version these 6 months later. (A shitty port, now, that's another thing).

Last edited:
Cool idea but I have no intrest in getting a ps whatever number they are on or an Xbox one. Maybe a switch one day but you didn't get this for the switch so...

Last edited:
This is crazy. With current UI it would be impossible to play on console. Creating special UI for it?

Can anybody remember any decent PC RTS port to consoles? I cannot. They have their own, but usually different from PC.
But i can remember how attempt to make a Supreme Commander for consoles killed the whole series.

And why they think Console players are interested in it?

Last edited:
This is crazy. With current UI it would be impossible to play on console. Creating special UI for it? Well, now, at least, it's more clear why tiles system was "so bad" for Stellaris.

Can anybody remember any decent PC RTS port to consoles? I cannot. They have their own, but usually different from PC.
But i can remember how attempt to make a Supreme Commander for consoles killed the whole series.

Starcraft 1 was ported to the n64 as I recall. And i had a lot of fun with the civ port to xbox 360.

Starcraft 1 was ported to the n64 as I recall. And i had a lot of fun with the civ port to xbox 360.
Dunno about Startcraft, and how it played, And Civ isn't a real time. Sure, Stellaris actively use pause, but the whole UI and gameplay isn't suited for gamepad. I'm not saying console aren't suited for Strategy, or even RTS games. But they have their own games with specific rules for better experiences in consoles specifics.

Well you are not the first by any close margin, there is the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series, which will have been on console for around 30 years now (NES version released in 1988).

But congratulation on your first I guess. =p

EDIT: Forgot Nobunaga's Ambition series which is 1987, for first console release.

Last edited:
Dunno about Startcraft, and how it played, And Civ isn't a real time. Sure, Stellaris actively use pause, but the whole UI and gameplay isn't suited for gamepad. I'm not saying console aren't suited for Strategy, or even RTS games. But they have their own games with specific rules for better experiences in consoles specifics.
They ported cities skylines. While its not a rts it's potentially as complicated as an rts to port and yet it's been very well recieved.

Paradox know this is hard but they got some very good people on the job.

This is crazy. With current UI it would be impossible to play on console. Creating special UI for it?

Command & Conquer Red Alert did really well on the Playstation when it came out. If they put their mind to it I don't see why they couldn't make it work. It's a good alternative source of income, no doubt.

That Youtube announcement trailer showed some quite cool camera angles on space battles. So will we get a chance to use that kind of battle camera sometime in the future on the PC version, or is that already possible somehow in the game? Since usually when I try to use the standard zooming options it is very hard to follow the action.

And to the topic in general, may the profits be with you Paradox. (And make a quality port please.)

I'm assuming they might try and do whatever it is STO does for the consoles, which as an MMO where you'd be making use of lots of keys to do things as well as the mouse at times...

Uhm... why?

No, literally, why? especially if the game's going to be on console as Version 1.7 rather than 2.0

This seems like the literal biggest waste of time and resources.

What you would rather we did? Jump on the same bandwagon that every other developer currently is chasing?

We believe our unique flavor of strategy games can work on console, we believe there is an audience for them out there. Sure, this is a risk, but it is one worth taking.

As for time and resources, Tantalus are great at what they do and mean that a project like this doesn't take anything away from Stellaris on PC or PDS in general. In fact, we have more resources on Stellaris PC now than ever before. If this game works on console, then it can only be good for the PC version as well, as anything we do on PC can then end up on console making the game even bigger and better.

Side note, PC development isn't being impacted by this, we have no intention of dumbing down the experience for anyone. If console players can't handle the depth or complexity of the PC game, even with our awesome new UI, then their missing out, because the PC game isn't going to get less complex or deep.

This is very much our mentality towards console gaming, it's an addition to our core focus of PC. Our games will always be PC first and some of them will find a home on console and others won't.

The 1.7 version I don't understand, but except for that, seems like at least an interesting experiment/challenge, if this really works out well, maybe that would finaly be a reason for me to also go into console gaming.

Good luck for the developers!