Stellaris to be First Ever Grand Strategy Game to Land on Consoles

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I mean Civilization Revolution was the closest thing to a 4X strategy game ever pulled off successfully on consoles (from what I recall) even though the game was dumbed down to what PC gamers were used to with Civ IV at the time, it still worked and looked great.

Stellaris on Console is not an impossible concept to imagine yet it might be a hard sell for many consoles gamers, but I'm hoping many will at least give the game a try. Can't stress the importance of having a proper Tutorial especially if this is the first true grand strategy game on console, and the fact that Paradox's Tutorials have been historically poor in the games available for PC (something which the studio recognises). But I'm glad Paradox and Tantalus have already looked into this to try and prevent it being an issue.

At the end of the day the community wants to see Paradox succeed in the market and industry, it's good for the developers experience, it's good for shareholders and it's good for the gamers. By successfully branching out on console, that will only mean bigger, better and more advanced games developed for us to play in future.

Last edited:
this is quite an interesting development for P'Dox.... i support P'Dox trying to expand to new customer base, as long as the pc version don't suffer coz of the console version...

so with new consoles on the horizon, and rumors that the next ps and xbox will have native mouse and keyboard support, i can definitely see why P'Dox is trying to get ahead on bringing stellaris to consoles... if stellaris is a success on consoles, the transition of ck2/eu4/hoi4 to consoles won't be too difficult with the new consoles...

and regarding modding support, i wonder what will be allowed and what not... if anyone is curious, just check cities skylines modding and you guys will likely have an idea on what mods will make it to consoles... as obvious, sony might play hardball when it comes to allowing mods into their system... and microsoft will likely have a limit on the size and amount of mods you can use... and obviously, no nude and and copyrighted materials will make it to consoles..

What you would rather we did? Jump on the same bandwagon that every other developer currently is chasing?

We believe our unique flavor of strategy games can work on console, we believe there is an audience for them out there. Sure, this is a risk, but it is one worth taking.

As for time and resources, Tantalus are great at what they do and mean that a project like this doesn't take anything away from Stellaris on PC or PDS in general. In fact, we have more resources on Stellaris PC now than ever before. If this game works on console, then it can only be good for the PC version as well, as anything we do on PC can then end up on console making the game even bigger and better.

Side note, PC development isn't being impacted by this, we have no intention of dumbing down the experience for anyone. If console players can't handle the depth or complexity of the PC game, even with our awesome new UI, then their missing out, because the PC game isn't going to get less complex or deep.

This is very much our mentality towards console gaming, it's an addition to our core focus of PC. Our games will always be PC first and some of them will find a home on console and others won't.

Posting as a reminder. They already mentioned PC development isn't being affected by this, I don't understand the negative reaction to it. If it succeeds, it's going to broaden the playerbase, allow console players to experience fantastic grand strategy and provide further revenue for PDX. Why are so many against it when it doesn't affect the PC side of things?

Last edited:
Posting as a reminder. They already mentioned PC development isn't being affected by this, I don't understant the negative reaction to it. If it succeeds, it's going to broaden the playerbase, allow console players to experience fantastic grand strategy and provide further revenue for PDX. Why are so many against it when it doesn't affect the PC side of things?

We will be judged on our actions... but then, this is also the internet, where will be judged on theoretical actions, the historical actions of other unrelated companies and the strength of our meme game! ;)

I am actually reasonable excited.
Unhappy it’s only going to 1.7 at launch (Really?), why not do 2.1?
But Happy it’s on console, as I have plenty of friends who only play on the PS4 so I might be able to show them Stellaris now

Posting as a reminder. They already mentioned PC development isn't being affected by this, I don't understand the negative reaction to it. If it succeeds, it's going to broaden the playerbase, allow console players to experience fantastic grand strategy and provide further revenue for PDX. Why are so many against it when it doesn't affect the PC side of things?

I still remember what the forum were like when PC 2.0 drop. Do you really want to put more people through that kind of storm/drama all over again? Just a honest question.

It doesn't matter if it affect PC or not. What does matter is that if the community is divided and not in a positive way over 1.7 vs 2.0 from day 1. Then it may hurt sale number and correspondingly affect any further attempts at bring grand strategy games titles over to console or even more attempts to port over future patch/expansion/content for Stellaris over to console.

huh, I'm interested. I haven't played Stellaris since y'all scrapped warp/warmhole travel (I'm still pissed about that!) but a console port would still be pretty interesting.

Any chance it will be free for those of us that already own the PC version? Probably not, but hey, worth a try :p

Edit: Actually if it's patch 1.7 of the game then that would be before the game was made bad by forcing everybody to use crappy hyperlanes, right? So will that version permanently be available on the console release, or will there be no option but to downgrade to the newer/inferior version?

Last edited:
I still remember what the forum were like when PC 2.0 drop. Do you really want to put more people through that kind of storm/drama all over again? Just a honest question.

It doesn't matter if it affect PC or not. What does matter is that if the community is divided and not in a positive way over 1.7 vs 2.0 from day 1. Then it may hurt sale number and correspondingly affect any further attempts at bring grand strategy games titles over to console or even more attempts to port over future patch/expansion/content for Stellaris over to console.

I'm not an avid follower of the Stellaris forums, but I suspect we are merely a tiny fraction of the overall community. I noticed the controversy as well on Steam, but review bombing in general doesn't really mean anything at the end of the day. Incredibly many positive reviews are still coming in, people are playing it, and I feel in no time, they'll outshadow those part of the boming.

I don't know, but I'd suspect a lot of the people who are introduced to the console version are probably going to be playing it for the first time. I doubt they would be affected by the controversial update very much, if at all, since it's their first time experiencing it as is.

Which honestly, the controversy in my opinion seems more overblown than anything. Considering how people tend to be very upset about change just about everywhere (pretty much everytime YouTube changes :D), I can see how a major update, which changes a lot of things, would upset some people. Once the dust settles, I wouldn't be surprised if most people have adapted to it and continue playing. Those who really hate it may or may not return, you can't please everybody. Even they can always submit feedback though.

I'm not an avid follower of the Stellaris forums, but I suspect we are merely a tiny fraction of the overall community. I noticed the controversy as well on Steam, but review bombing in general doesn't really mean anything at the end of the day. Incredibly many positive reviews are still coming in, people are playing it, and I feel in no time, they'll outshadow those part of the boming.

I don't know, but I'd suspect a lot of the people who are introduced to the console version are probably going to be playing it for the first time. I doubt they would be affected by the controversial update very much, if at all, since it's their first time experiencing it as is.

Which honestly, the controversy in my opinion seems more overblown than anything. Considering how people tend to be very upset about change just about everywhere (pretty much everytime YouTube changes :D), I can see how a major update, which changes a lot of things, would upset some people. Once the dust settles, I wouldn't be surprised if most people have adapted to it and continue playing. Those who really hate it may or may not return, you can't please everybody.

There are aspect that made 2.0 a sore subject especially for me relating to how little real strategy choices you have. A sore subject would be super-fortress on 5x hyperlane lets you treat all routes as chokeholds and free up your starbase for anchorage/energy as needed. That would require a combat overall that could easily double apoc in both content and patch scope to come anywhere to what I expect out of Stellaris.

Of course there were other way they could have gone to mitigate this. As a consequence most of my gameplay strategy-wise did not even change that much going from 1.9.1 to 2.0. I still have not brought apoc and distant star and I usually buy most of Paradox DLC but it was a first time with apoc for me to not do so.

Tbh I like the fact PDX can just dismiss the drama. After all, drama is not needed and if people cannot avoid going there regarding game direction, why PDX should start and make their business strategy around it ?

They already stated multiple time it will not affect the PC game and I have no reason to distrust that.

FTL rework added depth into the game as needed the new economy rework will take the same direction.

Please port the controller controls over to PC... PLEASE

Not tried it with a console pad but I sometimes stream it onto my media pc hooked up to my TV and play using the steam controller and it's fine, mouse and keyboard is still best but the steam pad is good enough not to be an issue. If i'm not mistaken the steam pad essentially emulates a mouse so I guess a pad would be programmed to behave similar?

Not tried it with a console pad but I sometimes stream it onto my media pc hooked up to my TV and play using the steam controller and it's fine, mouse and keyboard is still best but the steam pad is good enough not to be an issue. If i'm not mistaken the steam pad essentially emulates a mouse so I guess a pad would be programmed to behave similar?
Same setup I am running. I like the Steam Controller, and play PUBG, Insurgency and other games with it.

I mean Civilization Revolution was the closest thing to a 4X strategy game ever pulled off successfully on consoles (from what I recall) even though the game was dumbed down to what PC gamers were used to with Civ IV at the time, it still worked and looked great.

Stellaris on Console is not an impossible concept to imagine yet it might be a hard sell for many consoles gamers, but I'm hoping many will at least give the game a try. Can't stress the importance of having a proper Tutorial especially if this is the first true grand strategy game on console, and the fact that Paradox's Tutorials have been historically poor in the games available for PC (something which the studio recognises). But I'm glad Paradox and Tantalus have already looked into this to try and prevent it being an issue.

At the end of the day the community wants to see Paradox succeed in the market and industry, it's good for the developers experience, it's good for shareholders and it's good for the gamers. By successfully branching out on console, that will only mean bigger, better and more advanced games developed for us to play in future.

I don't think "dumbing down" is a fair term for Civilization Revolution, the big changes were really in making the length of a game shorter. The biggest part was spiking all the modifiers in the games that were like 10 or 15 percent to 50 or 100 percent. If anything it made perhaps a more arcade-like experience; similar to how NFL Blitz or Mutant League Football cut down rules and plays to make for quick, action speed gameplay. It worked and Revolution was a blast to play on the Nintendo DS.

I remember playing the original Civ on SNES. So. . .

What you would rather we did? Jump on the same bandwagon that every other developer currently is chasing?

To be honest, if you want more than me complaining (which is basically what this is going to be because this is already happening and there's nothing I can do but shake my head in agitated amazement at this decision, so please, bear that fact in mind you and anyone else who reads this post of mine. I had all night at work to think about it.) I would have preferred you guys instead went a different route and just made a for consoles only game, or a game meant for consoles that could also be on PC.

Hell, you could have still had it be a part of Stellaris by making it be part of the Stellaris universe. Give a way to actually flesh some things out with those pre-set Empires by making a sort of (or at least on branch) of a Canon Stellaris universe. Maybe it could have been exploration based with solving puzzles to discover strange anomalies and secrets, or it could have been a ship fighting game where your a Captain of the UNE ship that goes on various missions as the UNE expands and encounters new threats and friends alike. Could even have then had future DLC be different campaigns or mission scenario things that let you play as different races from the games Preset species.

Not do what to me is a waste of time, money, energy and resources, even if it's not taking away from PC Stellaris now.

We believe our unique flavor of strategy games can work on console, we believe there is an audience for them out there. Sure, this is a risk, but it is one worth taking.

I would disagree immensely, in large part because Grand Strategy Games are a PC niche part of gaming. Startegy in the form of Turn-Based or Real Time Strategy are games that can at least make some sense for being on consoles and have had some success, but in my lifetime of gaming I am trying and failing to come up with the name of any actually good or great Grand Strategy Games that's been on a console, and while I'm sure there's bound to be a select few out there, they don't seem to have gotten far or done all that well.

To me, it's a stupid risk. It to me is a risk being made that, as a few have mentioned, could also signal a trend of Paradox moving away from PC gaming and towards more Console Gaming, and with it, maybe not a dumbing down, but a simplifying of many things that give Paradox some of the Fanbase it has (and Stellaris too)

As for time and resources, Tantalus are great at what they do and mean that a project like this doesn't take anything away from Stellaris on PC or PDS in general. In fact, we have more resources on Stellaris PC now than ever before. If this game works on console, then it can only be good for the PC version as well, as anything we do on PC can then end up on console making the game even bigger and better.

I already stated I see this as a waste even if Stellaris PC has the same or more resources, and since I find the idea of taking the Stellaris GSG and putting it on Console I don't see that last bit as really being a net positive.

Side note, PC development isn't being impacted by this, we have no intention of dumbing down the experience for anyone. If console players can't handle the depth or complexity of the PC game, even with our awesome new UI, then their missing out, because the PC game isn't going to get less complex or deep.

Alternatively, their not missing out because they don't have interest in a game of that genre type that's complex or deep.

In my experience most of the time both with console games myself, and for other gamers among my family and friends who prefer console games, one of the core things that I think that GSG's are a weak point on and one reason why they don't do well on consoles is that to some extent, every GSG involves some amount of time sinking. It involves letting the clock go by while you wait for something to happen. Stellaris isn't to me really a game you pick up and play for half an hour or an hour and feel like you necessarily accomplished much (especially in late game when some things begin to slow down making speed drag) Many games designed for Consoles however don't always have this- you can play for even ten minutes and feel like you've done something whereas if I play Stellaris on regular speed for ten minutes, it's entirely likely I might have just sat there staring at a screen and looking at things.

GSG's when it comes to PC gaming are... like alternate history. Alternate History is rich, deep, and complex and has a wide variety of authors and styles in it. But, within the fiction realm, it's a niche, and it's a niche that probably isn't ever going to suddenly break out big and create new markets or make lots of money.

This is very much our mentality towards console gaming, it's an addition to our core focus of PC. Our games will always be PC first and some of them will find a home on console and others won't.

Personally, I am still of the opinion that if Paradox wants to get into Console Games, then they shouldn't try porting their strategy games over the Consoles. They should make new, Console Focused games that are their own thing.

I at least feel like it's not going to succeed in the first place so I think it's a waste of their time anyways, and feel that if they really want to get into Console gaming a better route would be making new IP's specifically for Consoles, or taking the Universes from things but making more console oriented games for them, see my suggestion about a Console game set in the Stellaris Universe focused on exploration and puzzle solving or an actiony ship fighting game.

There is this to a degree as well. I'd probably in, thinking about it, be slightly less agitated if it was being slated as a 2.0 console release, because then at least it would be Post the big change and rework that came from that.

Honestly, it'll make any who buy it think the damn thing isn't fucking finished, which I still myself feel sometimes even as a PC player.

GREAT!

But in my opinion wrong title.

HOI4 + Console + Cross platform multiplayer (+teamspeak)= PURE FUN !

Stellaris is a great game (ill buy it but waiting for reviews coming from gamescon2018) in my believing a little bit to complex for consoles (to much menu, to much text, to much to write).

Please do: HOI4 + Console + Cross platform multiplayer (+teamspeak)= PURE FUN !

I don't think "dumbing down" is a fair term for Civilization Revolution, the big changes were really in making the length of a game shorter. The biggest part was spiking all the modifiers in the games that were like 10 or 15 percent to 50 or 100 percent. If anything it made perhaps a more arcade-like experience; similar to how NFL Blitz or Mutant League Football cut down rules and plays to make for quick, action speed gameplay. It worked and Revolution was a blast to play on the Nintendo DS.

I played a bit of it, but only because I had to emulate it as I could never find the damn thing anywhere (by the time I had a DS it wasn't really anywhere I looked, even Used game stores). However, something I'll note is that the arcade like experience did do two things.

1- It simplified the more in depth and expansive game (making it have a different experience to playing it)

2- It (for me at least) made it feel less like a Grand strategy game and more like a traditional console/handhold Turn based games which have always felt more fast paced. Games that can be completed in a few hours rather than something that's going to take you most of a day.

It was certainly fun to play, but I as a big Strategy gamer always got more out of the regular PC version with all the things it had in it. And I just can't see a game like Stellaris being quite the same thing if it gets ported to Console because I feel it's going to lose some of the experience, and besides that I'm pretty sure the sort of people who'd play Stellaris on a console are the sort who'd also play it on PC.

I just really don't see the market for this on console. I really don't. But then, I'm just some guy on the internet so I can't have access to any kinds of studies or probes of the market to see if this is something even remotely worthwhile.

GREAT!

But in my opinion wrong title.

HOI4 + Console + Cross platform multiplayer (+teamspeak)= PURE FUN !

Stellaris is a great game (ill buy it but waiting for reviews coming from gamescon2018) in my believing a little bit to complex for consoles (to much menu, to much text, to much to write).

Please do: HOI4 + Console + Cross platform multiplayer (+teamspeak)= PURE FUN !

I don't think CK2, EUIV, or HOI4 would work well on consoles either. All of them are complex and indepth games that I just don't think people on consoles would be big on.

in my lifetime of gaming I am trying and failing to come up with the name of any actually good or great Grand Strategy Games that's been on a console

Hence the title of this thread.

In my experience most of the time both with console games myself, and for other gamers among my family and friends who prefer console games, one of the core things that I think that GSG's are a weak point on and one reason why they don't do well on consoles is that to some extent, every GSG involves some amount of time sinking. It involves letting the clock go by while you wait for something to happen. Stellaris isn't to me really a game you pick up and play for half an hour or an hour and feel like you necessarily accomplished much (especially in late game when some things begin to slow down making speed drag) Many games designed for Consoles however don't always have this- you can play for even ten minutes and feel like you've done something whereas if I play Stellaris on regular speed for ten minutes, it's entirely likely I might have just sat there staring at a screen and looking at things.

You do realize that there are people who play on both, and that the player isn't going to magically change just because platform does. . .right? Case in point, both my brother and I game on both PC and PS4 (he also has a N. Switch). Our mentality doesn't change when we pick up a controller. As mentioned before, I play EXCLUSIVELY with a controller, and Stellaris is no exception. Or do you think this automatically makes me some kind of casual?

Personally, I am still of the opinion that if Paradox wants to get into Console Games, then they shouldn't try porting their strategy games over the Consoles. They should make new, Console Focused games that are their own thing.

Good thing that they aren't then. If you read the announcement you'll know its being developed by a third party developer that is associated with PDX.