• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #140 - 2.2.x post-launch patch v2

Hello everyone!

We don’t have anything specific to talk about or show, but we thought it would be suitable to let you know we’re still working on the final post-release patch. We’re aiming to release the patch sometime in late February.

Edit:
I want to make it clear that this does not mean we will stop making improvements to the game. We will always continue to support our games, but now we need to focus our efforts into a larger patch instead of continuing to deploy smaller patches. The reason why we need to focus on a next, large patch is because trying to maintain multiple branches of development and deploying small patches takes a significant amount of resources away from us working on fixing bugs, improvements and feature development.

Our focus has been on improving and polishing the content we already have, so there won’t be many new features. We’ve been making improvements from everything from AI to UI to balance. I won’t talk about all the stuff we’ve done, but here’s some stuff I’ve been posting on twitter:

DzNYYN1WwAA0nw7.jpg:large

A wee little buff!

DzSUvbPW0AA4cS8.png:large

Another small buff.

DzW3cNmWoAIr71u.png:large

A vast improvement! Our tech lead, Moah, has been hard at work improving the way ships are upgraded.

upload_2019-2-14_17-35-3.png

Cleaner display of districts! This arcology now display its districts with boxes, and in different colors!

That’s all we have for today folks, I just wanted to pop in and let you know that we’re still working on getting the patch out to you all. Personally I can’t wait until we can start telling you about the new stuff we will be starting soon, but it’s too early for that I’m afraid :)

As stated earlier, scheduled dev diaries are still on hiatus, but we may write something from time to time if we have something to show.

Cheers!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
While i do not know the contents of the incoming patch, i agree that it would be preferable if you would devote quite a bit more time to polishing and fixing the game as is.

Shiny new things are always great but id much rather have a build most people consider solid and mostly "fixed" than one that still puts many people (myself included) off from the game due to various AI, performance, balance or even new content implementation issues.

But I guess we'll see how the new patch makes the game experience first.

Has Transendent Learning been buffed too then? At the moment it feels a bit useless, with so many traditions giving level bonuses now.

Yeah for dev diary, but you kinda boosted the ascension perks that needed it the least;

Nah. Technological Ascendancy needed it because the only other competitor for first pick is objectively better than it in every way. Making TA give a bonus that isn't just a number buff makes out a viable choice for people wanting to rush psionics or megastructures without having to take Master Builders.

Wait... what? Are you saying that 2.2.5 or .6 is going to be the last post-release patch before the next update+DLC?
If that really is the case, I sure hope it's going to be a massive one, because the game is still not back on its feet after how 2.2 run it to the ground.

We don’t have anything specific to talk about or show, but we thought it would be suitable to let you know we’re still working on the final post-release patch.
"Final" ? ...

Cleaner display of districts!
I've opened windows-paint and I've figured out, that the tiny UI allows to display just 24 "free" district-boxes, respectively 18 district-boxes (aka the ones for alloys, consumer-goods and unity), respectively 12 city-district-boxes, so what if I have a colony, which exceeds these limits ? - Then ?

I guess this means other Ascension Perks which can be chosen as your first pick might be getting some buffs too. Else Technological Ascension is even more of a no-brainer than it already was.

The UI looks amazing and I love the ship upgrade improvements :) Can't wait for 2.2.6 :D

As an aside, I'm on the beta version and don't remember seeing any of these features, especially not the improved UI, so I assume none of them are in the open beta yet?
Tech Ascension is not at all a no-brainer. Interstellar Dominion's -20% to expand is outrageous, given how in short supply Influence is earlygame.

While you're updating the building UI to be clearer, could you also add numbers or roman numerals to indicate the current level of the building? It's sometimes hard to tell the difference between level 1 and level 2 buildings at a glance (especially for consumer goods factories).

I'm with others here. This 'final' patch better be incredible or I can already smell the shit hitting the fan.

My personal pet grip is the sectors. As they stand they are truly awful. Making them bigger is a band-aid fix but they really need to have some of their old features returned (collecting their own resources). I can imagine that a real rework will come with internal politics (if it ever happens) but leaving them as is, is unacceptable to me.

Again: PLEASE(!!!) Add the district numbers (in this case, the 11/18 from city distrits) to the other ones as well. I don't like counting squares,..

Gosh, the UI looks way cleaner and the "terraform" button is visible againe (I had to google this after the last change). It really looks better, but one question, could this UI change include the "movable" buildings? I mean, so I could order them as I like after they've been build?

I don't think it's a big change but for some pedantic people (such as myself) it would really help. Gameplay wise, it would be nice to know what building you lack at first glance, cause for example, you always put him in the same place.

Oooh, movable buildings!! I thought that I was probably the only one who wanted this. Heck, sometimes I actually demolish building and then rebuild them so that they are "properly ordered". LOL.

Was really hoping they were going to announce a re-work of sectors to bring back some degree of manual control and maybe even a re-think on the pop growth mechanics :(

How-comes the capital has a hexagon underneath it's imagine now? Also can you change all building background colours to be green, rather than some being blue for no reason.

Final? Oh gosh. No. No, no... You cannot be thinking on leaving the AI in its current state. Maybe you (Paradox as a whole, not specifically the development team) are just relying on the modders good will and job to fix the things for you? I'd love to be wrong.

Whatever it is, I'm not purchasing any further dlc until I start reading reviewes about a mildly functional AI, sector system and, of course, performance.

I can still dream for the best.

I like the new UI changes.
What exactly is meant by "we’re still working on the final post-release patch. We’re aiming to release the patch sometime in late February."? Does this mean there are no patches coming until the next DLC is being released?
If so, I really hope that this patch somehow got some massive performance improvements in it because right now the game still feels almost unplayable after just 300 in game years - playing with 20 - 15 FPS isn't fun.
EDIT: I am sorry, I didn't mean 300 years I meant by the year 2300 - the beginning of mid game.

How-comes the capital has a hexagon underneath it's imagine now? Also can you change all building background colours to be green, rather than some being blue for no reason.
The ones with a blue background are planetary unique buildings, I guess they made the background different to easier identify wether you have already built one of these buildings or not.

Last edited:
I guess, you are fixing the purge and slave mechanics in this post release patch also? Like the "no matter which purge type you chose, it is always 600% killing and annoying other empires, also if you chose displacement only" and the more annoying "battle thralls can't be enforcers" bug ..? thanks in advance.

More keybinds would be a welcome feature though.
In particular one that resettle "Unemployed" Pop to another planet.

Also purge mechanics and Pop growth need to be reconsidered, especially the former one given the incredible value it may give

Last edited: