• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So the Elder Frost Dragon is complete. I may need a glow effect or something

20201017115449_1.jpg

20201017112220_1.jpg

20201017115556_1.jpg

This is a little comparison.

I updated some regular icons set for this mod. This is from the Archon Dwelling city upgrades.

Many of the icons we have today are either clipped or have white spots in several spots as both Gimp and Paint.net lacks an ideal way of handling compression in detailed pictures. Especially since those programs handle the alpha layer differently or use ways to trick the picture somehow with workarounds.

Would there be a support to add more like the pic below or we want to keep them as they are right now? If I can track down the source files I could add them with photoshop and Nvidia DDS tool to make them more triumph style in-game. A bonus effect is that they look way better and cuts the sizes of clb by roughly half.

To the left is the previous one to the right is the new updated.

Comparsion.jpg

I completed 16 icons 128 x 128 for most of the new sites. The last ones were the Gemstone Mine icon. I think to open the 3d model of the crystal tree and cut it down in blender. Raise the model a bit and put the remains on top of the Flowrock Quarry.

Quite frankly, the intention of having crystal tree was as I understand to have the crystals peeking from the stones. But on map the quarry is to dark making the model confusing on the terrain as its really hard to tell them apart from a normal crystal tree as the "Gemstone tree" stays at normal height. It might be a task when I feel uninspired or something.

All structures, Racial governance and abilities icons have been updated that I have found. That is about 1.3 Mb in a reduction of clb files. If you need more icons just tell as there is room for more in some icons portfolios. The good thing is that they do not increase in size if I add more icons to the same picture.

So far has around 50+ icons been updated in photoshop and they do look better when they are done through photoshop as I'm also applying some fixes and small repairs of colours.

I will look at units at a later stage. As its quite heavy to go through all.

In general I have updated all icons made for this mod. This cuts the content by 1.8 mb of every clb. Fixing the alpha layers, removed clipping and white spots.

They look good in level editor now and icons no longer interfear with each other. So intend to add the last elder and structure icons to finalize the content.

Btw do we really need a Shadow Realm structure for Well of Souls? The structure itself is pretty dark and the units that defends it are typical not racial units. Carrion birds and Crows. I might be wrong but it seems like the units are already quite in line with what should spawn inside

Last edited:
Before I go through with Elder Eldritch I need some feedback on the Eldritch unit. Here are a couple of variants.
As discussed on Steam, the Elder Eldritch actually already exist in game. The devs designed a unit for the campaign and that's the one we currently use in the SR, even though it might be a bit too powerful compared to other Elder creatures. So no need for a new texture for this one, it already has one.

Would there be a support to add more like the pic below or we want to keep them as they are right now? If I can track down the source files I could add them with photoshop and Nvidia DDS tool to make them more triumph style in-game.
So it seems like you did the work, based on your later posts, thanks! :)
Were you able to find all the source files you needed or are you missing some?

Btw do we really need a Shadow Realm structure for Well of Souls?
As discussed on Steam, yeah I think we don't need a separate Well of Souls for the Shadow layer. The base site is enough.

About the Gemstone Mine, I agree with you and a rework would be great!

I updated the Wiki with the 4 new heroes: https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com..._Realm_Community_Expansion#Heroes_.2F_leaders

Regarding the last Beacon of Light icon you posted: I still struggle to understand what it is (if you didn’t tell me it was the Beacon of Light, I wouldn’t guess).
Archon Fort icon: it’s very very white, so hard to see. Maybe increase contrast?

Love the Elder Spider Queen!

Could you please add the icons you made here: \Dropbox\AoW3-Shadow-Realm-expansion\icons\ and then in the appropriate folder and the “\Wiki icons” subfolders? For instance for the Elder units: \Dropbox\AoW3-Shadow-Realm-expansion\icons\Other Icons\Wiki Icons. I will then add them to the Wiki.

For the Elder Frost Dragon, I think the image here looks good: https://forumcontent.paradoxplaza.com/public/630146/20201017112220_1.jpg But on an actual tactical map, he seems a bit too shiny, maybe due to light reflections? Is it possible to reduce the light he reflects so that he doesn’t look like a mirror? An Elder dragon should not be too shiny IMO. :p Also, could you please post a screenshot with him near a regular Frost Dragon?

I still don't think the Cockatrice is a suitable unit. Already from the start, it's not an Elder unit at all in comparison to the rest of the units. I believe we should have some sort of Giant, Giant Snake or Troll rather.

For the Elder Frost Dragon, I think the image here looks good: https://forumcontent.paradoxplaza.com/public/630146/20201017112220_1.jpg But on an actual tactical map, he seems a bit too shiny, maybe due to light reflections? Is it possible to reduce the light he reflects so that he doesn’t look like a mirror? An Elder dragon should not be too shiny IMO. :p Also, could you please post a screenshot with him near a regular Frost Dragon?

Which part is shiny?

20201129092511_1.jpg

20201129092553_1.jpg

20201129092547_1.jpg

The Lost Privateer The hood is currently in player colour. The reason for that is that make an icon for it. In case we want, it can follow the player colour either as the big teal or the dark green as in Morrandir player colour shown in the picture.
Should we have those Naga Kris? Not a Rapier or something along the lines or the standard sabre?

20201129100536_1.jpg

20201129100846_1.jpg

20201129101407_1.jpg

Last edited:
And I checked with EBM mod with SR mod.Beside shadow elf race upgrade skill, basically it is compatibility.

@Mr.Lost : could you please be more specific? What issue is there? With Shadow Elf racial governance? It does not appear when EBM is used?

There are three or four fluo pink/green/purple hair, currently.

I think those are the hair colours added by vfxrob, right? Not everyone liked them but I think they should be kept, as it was a specific contribution he wanted to make, and that's kind of a thank to him, for all the work he did for the models. If people don't like them, they don't have to use them.

If this is the case, I could add this kind of texture to a normal standard Elven Sword. In case it's interesting to change it, I could update the model with this sword.View attachment 545495

The blood on the sword is good. What is the current sword model? How different is it from this one? I saw the comments from Rodmar on the sword model, I have no strong opinion on it.

Are there any plans for Shadow Elf "accessory" mods like a civic diversity add on, a Racial Heritage add on, so and so, so they can have more units and buildings like the other races?
No, there is no such plan. The plan is to finish what we've started, which is already a lot of work. See the Wiki for the plans: https://age-of-wonders-3.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Hiliadan/Shadow_Realm_Community_Expansion_Content
But as Rodmar said, if authors of these mods want to add Shadow Elf, they're free to do it. :)

2. Given the propensity of Elementals in the Shadow Realm, shouldn't some units have Elemental Slayer? 3. What are the best Classes for Shadow Elves? 4. Is there some way to disable autumn and tundra? They dominate the map and I'm really not a fan of that or the random underground terrain on the surface.

2. Might make sense lore-wise but would be too strong balance-wise. And units on the surface don't have "Scoundrel Slayer" despite the propensity of Scoundrels. :p
3. Well, try and tell us. :p
4. Currently no, but I'm hoping that at some point, someone will take the time to do the disentangling of the Decodence RMG and Shadow Realm RMG. There is no need for Decodence RMG in the expansion and it was a very debatable decision from the start to do it that way. Once it's done, there will be no Tundra and Autumn.

Is there a reason why adding Heart of the Shadows to the builder (a la League of the Extraordinary Builders) doesn't work?
Yes, the author of the League mod needs to make a compatibility patch and add the ability.

I also noticed that I can't seem to change nodes with node changing spells in the Shadow Realm.
Are you sure about that? I add it to the list of things to fix (but would be good if someone could confirm it).

Which part is shiny?
The back of the wings. But actually the regular Frost Dragon is even worse, I didn't remember. :eek: If you can reduce the reflection a bit, that'd be great I think.
Is it also possible to change some of the body parts? I remember vaguely that some of the body parts were changed for the Elder Bone Dragon, like the head or tail? To have a slightly different model for the Elder Frost Dragon compared to the regular version.

Should we have those Naga Kris? Not a Rapier or something along the lines or the standard sabre?
Yes, I think Naga Kris looks good. Then maybe remove the sabre holder?
Regarding the size of the unit, we did say it was a giant Lost Mariner, but I think it should not really be the same size as a Giant. More like between a humanoid and a Giant. Its current size also causes problem with the banner it seems: on this screenshot the banner is in the middle of the unit and hides its arm: https://forumcontent.paradoxplaza.com/public/644532/20201129101407_1.jpg
Regarding the glow, what about having it the same colour as Phantasm Warriors'? So more blue/white than yellow (which reminds a Theocrat rather than an Incorporeal).

Two new icons for the Decodence Shadow Realm variants as well.
Thanks! As for the Tomb and Ancient Ruins, I'm still unconvinced though. The icons are not different for surface and UG sites, or for sites with different defender sets (for instance Naga and Phoenix defender sets for Ziggurat). I don't really see why icons should be different if the name of the site is the same.

Thanks! As for the Tomb and Ancient Ruins, I'm still unconvinced though. The icons are not different for surface and UG sites, or for sites with different defender sets (for instance Naga and Phoenix defender sets for Ziggurat). I don't really see why icons should be different if the name of the site is the same.

The reason is, its impossible to tell them apart in editor unless the name is changed or the icon. Another reason was originally that the previous person created icons for all SR editionsites from print screens except for nodes.

There are mods to make some creatures larger (queen spiders, dragons). What about having elder creatures a little bigger that their normal counterpart, if not already the case (and the last screenshots don't seem to show any obvious difference).

Currently a snow flake?

"Your Shadow Elf cities and units are indifferent to Blighted and Subterranean terrain."

Can a dead tree work as a blighted substitute?

Racial Gover Example.jpg

Or a giant mushroom?

hmm..

In general, I got the Gemstone mine adjusted little and I hope the Crystal tree in its form will show less confusement.

Perhaps a different colour on the crystal to further distinguish it from the Crystal Tree even more? Like more darker blue or red crystals? Even purple can be cool.

20201204224529_1.jpg

The dead tree works for me.

And definitely for a different colour for the Gemstone Mine's crystals.

By the way, Dr_K confirmed he could push the update on the Steam workshop around the end of the year. :)

Going back to some old discussions (https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...y-expansion-development.1123354/post-24914077):

Also, their Dwelling should always be Pure Good, right? (in terms of alignment)

2 in favour. Drax saying "from Slightly Good to Pure Good", which seems the best to me.

Forgotten Throne projected climate/overlay
Still need to get a consensus on that one.

Other old discussions:
Defender sets
We have the current proposals:
Crystal Tree
First set: 1 Draconian apprentice, 1 Phantasm warrior, 2 Lightning sprites, Node Serpent
Second set: 1 Shadow Elf apprentice, 1 Phantasm warrior, 2 Lightning sprites, Node Serpent
FOR: Refineus, Link777, HousePet, Hiliadan (but merge the two sets, so that there can be Draconian and Shadow Elf apprentices together)

Forbidden Sanctum
First Set: 1 Shadow Elf apprentice, 2 Mature Shock Serpent, 3 Lightning sprites,
Second set: 2 Shadow Demon Harvester, 1 Shadow Elf Shaman, 1 Eldritch Horror, 1 Shadow demon lord
Third set: 1 Archon Avenger, 2 Ancestral Spirits, 1 Shrine of Smithing, 1 Shadow Elf Exalted, 1 Archon saint
FOR: Refineus, Link777, HousePet
AGAINST: Hiliadan (1st set too weak, I suggest to instead use the Forbidden Sanctum's set 3 https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Forbidden_Sanctum and replace the Spiders, Nightmare, Banshee by Shadow Elf Apprentice + Lightning Sprite, by the way, the Serpents don't have Shadow Walker; 2nd set: ok but probably too weak, Harvesters are actually pretty weak when used by the AI, should add Shadow Demon Bombard and maybe Fallen Angel; third set: I suggest to merge with the Sanctum's set 4 by replacing other races by Shadow Elves + adding the Archons)

Flowrock Quarry
2 Shadow Elf Engineers, 1 Musketeer, 1 Lightning cannon,
FOR: Refineus, Link777, HousePet
AGAINST: Hiliadan (need more variety and also unsure about having a Cannon and those units at a Flowrock Quarry, that's very different from vanilla)

Syron Tomb
First Set: 1 Archon Avenger, 2 Archon Archer, 1 Archon Legionary, 2 Archon Saint,
Second Set: 2 Archon Footsoldier, 1 Archon Archer, 2, Archon Saint, 1 Archon Titan
FOR: Refineus, Link777, HousePet, Rodmar (but Greater Awakening for Archons)
AGAINST: Dr_K (if name remains Tomb, as it would be weird to have non-Undeads; and if name changes, need a different battle enchantment like Greater Awakening to host Archons), Hiliadan (we should only add Shadow Elf Reanimators)

Roamer set
Would also be good to have a 2nd roamer set for Warband Campfire similar to its 2nd defender set https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Template:Hiliadan/Warband_Campfire I think the easiest is to simply copy/paste the same units for a 2nd roamer set, so that SE units can roam, and not just Scoundrels and Lesser Shadow Walkers.

[...]

PROPOSAL 1:
Shadow Elf Touched, Shadow Elf Night Guard, Shadow Elf Arcane Archer, Shadow Elf Infused
FOR: Hiliadan, HousePet

PROPOSAL 2: Umbral Weaver, Nightguard, Scoundrels
FOR: Refineus, HousePet

PROPOSAL 3: Lesser Shadow Stalker and some non-rogue draconian units
FOR: HousePet

Last edited:
Get the Gemstone Mine colours going. Which one?

Mine preference lies in number 9,

1. Zircon
2: Sapphire
3. Emerald
4. Amethyst
5. Topaz
5. Diamond
7. Citrine
8. Peridot
9. Tanzanite
10. Ruby
11. Alexandrite
12. Garnet

20201205165158_1.jpg

Also, take into consideration the ambient light in SR that may change the perceived hue. Would it be possible that you put some of them (at least 8 and 9) in a testing map, along with some other shiny resource sites like SR gold mine and Crystal Tree?