• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, I think Milan is soon to join the Savoyard Dukedom...dare I say Kingdom? And With Mantua in tow, it seems time to cower Modena, and perhaps even lay low Siena. With the family in line alongside the Papacy, that can't be too hard. After all...they are friends, are they not? Let's not allow this to be an I'm Only Sleeping moment. ;)

And Things We Said Today is yet another of my very favorite tunes! Great song! :D

stnylan said:
Mmm, white peace at first opportunity affair by the sounds of it.

I did like the mongol ambassador - just which nation is the yellow horde trying to get to that they require Military access? Oh, and nice touch with that translation.

That's probably Genoa, as they own some land in crimea (border with the Horde) and Savoy also has a border with Genoa.

Duke of Wellington: No, he certainly does not.

stnylan: Of course, Italy shall be mine. Eventually.

Chief Ragusa: Milan is already Savoy's vassal. But of course, Sforza might not see things the same way. And then there is the "bastard" Roberto to consider, who, assuming his claims that he is not in fact a bastard are true, has a powerful uncle in Duke Ludovico.

Fulcrumvale: I only vassalised Mantua because they were my ally. I probably won't be so kind towards the other Italian states.

Katapraktoi: No, Francesco Sforza is very much his own man. My man is Roberto, possible (depending on his legitimacy) nephew of Duke Ludovico of Savoy. The royal marriage with Milan is between Duke Filippo and Ludovico's sister, and so any children of that union is a relative of the Duke of Savoy.

Fnuco: Hey, I'm only being peaceful towards Milan and Mantua, not the others ;)

chefportnen: It is indeed, but I prefer King of Savoy... :D

coz1: The Papacy are...not enemies, but not exactly friends. Modena and Siena, on the other hands, are both deserving of punishment for their occupation of the Eternal City.

EFrancois: That might explain it.

CSK: Modena will get what's coming to them.

Note: I think I need to explain a few things. Filippo Visconti of Milan was married to Mary, daughter of Amedee le Paisable and sister of the current Duke of Savoy. Together they have a daughter, Bianca, and a son Roberto (who is fictional). However, certain people have conspired to blacken Roberto's name by suggesting and fabricating documents to show he is illegitimate, which is why the plots and troubles have arisen. The events portrayed in the next update are loosely based on what really happened in Milan around this time, and are only represented in game by a change of monarch in Milan. The vassalisation remains in game, just so that's clear.

Last edited:
Savoy Truffle

Revolution

August 20th 1447
Milano

The news spread quickly throughout the city, at first whisper and rumour and by mid-morning it was established fact, "the Duke is dead, Filippo has passed on!"

As soon as Francesco Sforza heard the news he knew what was to be done. Hurriedly he walked the streets of Milan until he reached that same tavern he had entered six days before, and as he became accustomed to the gloom he could hear whispers all around, talk of what was to be done. Everyone knew their role, and so without hesitation they left the tavern, and gathered outside the castle gates. As the morning wore on, more and more city-dwellers joined the crowd, all uncertain of the future but determined that the Savoyard puppet Roberto would not rule Milan.

svy38.png

Francesco Sforza

Up in the castle, Filippo Maria Visconti's corpese was being prepared for burial, and Roberto stood by the window, frowning petulantly at the crowd below.

"What do they want?" he said, to his manservant. "Why are they just all standing there?"

"I don't know," the manservant replied wearily. "Maybe they want a speech."

"Maybe, but-wait, something's happening..."

The crowd had fallen silent, as their attention turned to a man standing on a box. Roberto strained his eyes, and as words flowed up and the crowd got more and more riled, Roberto made out words like "freedom" and "rights". Most of it he was unable to make out, but as the man finished the speech, three words very clearly came to the would-be Duke's ears, "STORM THE CASTLE!"

From then on, everything moved quickly. Many of the guards were loyal servants of Filippo, and felt no love for his bastard son, and joined the mob. The castle gates were opened, and the mob, led by Francesco Sforza, poured in. There was some resistance from thos guards bribed by Roberto to fight for him, but soon the castle was overrun, and as the hundreds of Milanese citizens swarmed through the castle looking for Roberto, Francesco urged them to remain respectful of the castle, but to no avail. Francesco was amazed at how easy it had been, and twenty minutes after he had finished speaking the Visconti's had been overthrown, and Milan was back in the hands of it's citizens. The castle was a mess, and Francesco would later abandon it and build a new one in it's place.

svy40.png

The keep of Castle Sforza

The castle was searched from top to bottom, but no sign of Roberto was found much to Francesco's irritation. He stood upt to speak to the populace of Milan.

"People of Milan, today is a glorious day in the history of our city. From now on, Milan will be ruled by it's people, and the Ambrosian Republic will shine as a beacon of freedom in the Empire. No more shall decisions lie in the hands of just one man, but all men, all free and equal, shall make the decisions and rule this great city together..."

Meanwhile on a road not far from Milan, ragged and tired, rode Roberto and the few loyal courtiers who had stuck by him. They expected it would be several days before they arrived in Chambery, at the court of his uncle. For both he and Duke Ludovico knew full well that he was not illegitimate, and was the rightful heir to the Duchy of Milan.

But of course, Duke Ludovico himself cared little about his nephew, as he knew that should Roberto be installed as Duke and then mysteriously die without children, Milan would fall right into Savoy's lap...

I almost feel sorry for Roberto. Even if he can get back into power, he will surely fall prey to some scheme from Savoy; such a sad fate.

I almost feel that is a rather daring varient of diploannexation, but I am not entirely sure.

A good update indeed! The plotting is really thickening now. I almost feel a bit sad for Roberto since he's most likely not going to get help from Ludivico. First his country rebel, his castle is stormed, and his uncle will turn him down after a long journey filled with perils. Or perhaps he will, but for some hidden ulterior motive then no doubt, on Ludivico's side. :) I'm staying tuned.

stnylan said:
I almost feel that is a rather daring varient of diploannexation, but I am not entirely sure.
Seconded. At a guess, the scenario is thus: In order to "protect" the people of Milan, the duke of Savoy marches in and is then declared ruler.

Quintilian: Oh, I wouldn't feel to sorry for him. ;)

Chief Ragusa: They've been vassals since the 1420s, so it's closer to 30 years.

stnylan: Maybe. ;)

Katapraktoi: Thanks, although I think any sympathy for Roberto is misplaced.

Fulcrumvale: Not a bad guess.

CSK: ;)

Savoy Truffle

Hello Goodbye

From "A History of Savoy" by J. P. Lerrier

The declaration of the Ambrosian Republic at first seemed like a great blow to Savoy's ambitions with regards to Milan. With the Visconti line deposed, Savoy's claim on the city were very thin, and rested entirely with the claimant Roberto Visconti, who sought refuge in Ludovico's court at Chambery.

The Duke had many audiences with his nephew, and was sympathetic to Roberto's desire to return to Milan to rule, but made sure to procrastinate at everyu turn and to ignore Roberto's pleading and whining. Ludovico, unlike his relative, was a shrewd and intelligent man, who wanted to see what form this Republic took before taking any decisive action.

The Ambrosian Republic, once proper governance had been restored to the city, was to be ruled by a Senate of "elected" nobility, who would collectively make decisions on behalf of the city. They set about promoting the arts and restoring the rights of the comune, to make Milan a free city. Many artists and writers initially flocked to the liberated city, and for a brief, shining moment, the Ambrosian Republic became the hub of the early renaissance.

svy41.png

Adoration of the Magi, a typical work of the Ambrosian Renaissance*

Francesco Sforza was of course one of the most prominent politicians in the Senate, and was able to acquire through various shady dealings large estates in Pavia and Lodi, but after a year he quit the Senate in 1448 and raised a force of his own, in anger and defiance at the attitudes of the grandi (Milanese noble families), who treated him without the respect he felt he deserved as he was not of noble birth and was himself illegitimate (a point very often raised by Roberto when protesting his rights to the Duchy of Milan). Francesco Sforza had been one of the prime movers behind the Republic, but now he was himself instigating a civil war.

The Republic was corrupt and rotten to the core, and infighting and feuding was to bring it crashing down in 1450. Between 1448 and 1450 Francesco Sforza had gained more and more power and a larger and larger force, and soon he was attacking Milan itself. The Senate, faced with the inevitable, sent out envoys to ask what it was that Sforza exactly wanted. The answer that came back was pretty straightforward; he wanted to be crowned Duke of Milan. The grandi had little choice but to accept, and the Ambrosian Republic was brought to an end, a noble experiment that had gone badly wrong.

There was considerable disquiet in Chambery when this news arrived. On one hand, it was good that the title of Duke of Milan was back in use, as it would easier get hold of it, but on the other, the Duke was Francesco Sforza. Roberto, more determined than ever, petitioned his uncle to invade Milan, and as it seems that plans for an invasion were actually made. However, these were distracted by other international matters, as in October of 1450 Austria attacked Bohemia. No Savoyard troops fought in the war, and it was a success for the alliance as Bavaria gained control of the Sudetenland.

svy36.png

Ludovico decided against direct intervention in Milan, not wishing to incur Austria and Venice's wrath, and so opted for more clandestine methods. The exact order of events of the night of August 22nd 1452 are not known, but a rough attempt to guess can be made. Some time before Roberto and a loyal servant of Ludovico, an aging Pierre de Megeve had travelled to Milan, presumably in disguise so as to avoid recognition. They somehow gained entry to the castle, possibly by bribing a guard, or maybe using the tunnel Roberto had used when he had fled the city five years previous. But anyhow, one of them murdered Francesco in his bed, and Roberto made himself Duke of Milan.

But that was not to last, for only hours after his proclamation, he abdicated, his heir of course being the Duke of Savoy, Ludovico, who now also became Duke of Milan. It may seem surprising that after all those many years pleading for Ludovico to take action that he should give up the Duchy so quickly and willingly, but Roberto was a greedy, weak man, and very likely had accepted a large bribe of gold and land in exchange for his actions. Before anyone knew what was happening, the flag of Milan was gone, and from the castle flew the red and white cross of Savoy.

svy37.png

Milan is "inherited"

*not really of course, as Botticelli was only 2 years old in 1447.

Last edited:
Now that is one of the more elaborate and well thought out diplo-annexes I have come across. Very well done fiftypence, I doff my hat.

stnylan: Thanks. I've been playing a lot of CK lately, so that's where the idea came from. ;)

Chief Ragusa: Modena and their little lapdog Siena would seem like a good target.

Duke of Wellington: Yes, it does look rather good. But it would look even better with more provinces. :D

chefportnen: I think you'd have to ask Duke Ludovico about that...

Update later today. :)