• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Private - @TJDS ))

Monsieur Durand,

I had grown discouraged, for it had taken you so long to reply. Yet now my heart is contented that the wait was well worth your response. I will depart with all due speed for the front, and hope that my humble services may be of some use against the barbaric Turk. With God's blessings the war may well soon be over should we continue to funnel support to those brave Hellenic rebels. I hope you may be able to make available to me all the information that you do have available to you currently about our men's situation at the front. Lastly I wish to sincerely thank you for offering your son as my Chief Liaison, I am sure he will prove himself more than capable in the cause of liberty.

-General Jean Lamarque

Having just been allocated 250,000F from the estate of the Prince du Condé, more money than St. Germain had seen over his entire life twice over, the author began to utilize it. Lavish events were raised for electors, speakers extolling the greatness of the Ultraroyaliste cause were booked, and public acts of charity were conducted in the name of the King, Ultraroyalistes, and the Prince du Condé.

Having been given more funds then he knew what to do with, the Ultraroyaliste candidate for Marsailles threw money at the electorate in hopes of achieving victory.

Name: Duc de Saint-Aignan
Party: Ultraroyalist
Department: Seine-Inférieure
[Pair de France]
[Bonus] +1.5PP

(( Private: @etranger01 ))

Brother,

With the Worshipful Master sadly passed, we are all looking to you for leadership of the Supreme Lodge. I have founded myself the target of unparalleled efforts by Chief Minister de Sully and the Prince of Conde to threaten my business affairs and in effect purchase the Marseilles seat in the Chamber of Deputies which I currently occupy.

I know I have no right to request your assistance at this time of mourning, but if the opposition can be seen as succeeding even in the face of the full wrath of the Ultra-Royalists then it would be a powerful symbol for our cause. If I fail, it is my own failure; but a victory would be a victory for all of us.

In that spirit, I request whatever assistance you can grant me in Bouches du Rhone in winning over the electors to the cause of liberalism and sound government. We can never rival Conde's wealth, but our Brotherhood has influence and manpower to wield and you are the one holding the hilt of the sword now that the Supreme Piombino has joined his maker.

In fraternity and trust,

Brother Duval

Lille, Nord

232px-A_szabadsajt%C3%B3_els%C5%91_term%C3%A9ke_Pesten_1848._m%C3%A1rcius_15.JPG

Picture of a so-called So-Box Address by Durand in Lille

With his life occupied by both his ventures in industry in the Nord and his Presidency of the Société Philhellénique française, Victor Durand was not concerned nor really prepared for the election called by the Prime Minister. Himself an experienced Minister and Legislator, he knew there was little hope for a Doctrinaire victory following the repeal of his - pro-doctrinaire - electoral law and its replacement with an undeniably pro-ultraroyaliste version. Furthermore, he could not help but witness the great patriotic fervour that had taken men of simple character and lesser minds, seen on his regular journeys from Lille to Paris and back, following the victory of the Royal Armed Forces over radical liberals. The Government, incredibly unpopular at the time, successfully stole the credit from the servicemen and claimed it were the Doctrinaires who opposed the war, no matter Durand's and the Doctrinaire's opposition to radicalism of any form.

However, he could not sit idly by when a Prime Minister who can only be described as lacking the wisdom of Valence and humility of Dhuizon was cruising towards an undeserved landside that may provide unwanted support for his malign designs for the Kingdom and the Charter. Durand would at least try to prevent this along his beloved road from Lille to Paris, where he would stop, speak and campaign without much rest for the last half of the campaign, at least hoping to secure his and his allies constituencies along that blessed road.

Thus he moved to the window of his house on the central Marketplace in Lille and raised his hands, calming the people before him and began to speak:

"My fellow Frenchmen, my fellow citoyens, I feel an immense pride as I stand on this marketplace today, for when I see the buildings that surround us, I remember not a decade ago, when Foreign Soldiers lived in and destroyed these buildings for "our protection". With immense pride and happiness we can see the resilience of our people and our nation in the Restoration of these Buildings to their full glory and the prosperity that they now hold!"

"This Restoration and our new found path to prosperity was, however, as all of you well know, not provided by the works of this Government, which most notable achievements can only be summed up as infringing on the good work of the Charter, but by the economic policies and works of the successive moderate and loyalist governments of Dhuizon and De Valence. It was our Great Reform Act that is rebuilding our Roads with which you can trade and earn a living! It is our Agricultural Commission that secures and improves the production of foodstuffs that you eat on the table! It is our Governance that allows you to improve your own lives, rather than restrain it by stealing your property and destroying your rights!"

"This Government calls us, the Loyalists and Moderates who provided you a helping Hand for Progress rather than their Whip of Regression, the naysayers and the unconstructive opposition. I need not tell you that it was this Government that repealed the constructive and working education reforms of M. Henri de Bourbon with a system that increase only the cost of education, while failing to provide us with the engineers and entrepreneurs we need to provide us with economic prosperity and structural stability. [Some laughs from the Audience] Indeed, the Loyalists and Moderates with whom I have the honour to associate myself only said no to these and other covert and overt attacks on the prosperity and prospects of our Kingdom and we did so with pride!"

"While the Government was squandering money on prestige projects such as their counterproductive education reforms, it were the Loyalists and Moderates that supported the True Christian Causes of the French Royal Army in Spain and the Greek Revolt in the Peloponnese without indignation or immoral restraint. And as the Soldiers return home from their well-deserved victory, it is only us, the Loyalists and Moderates, willing to provide them, rather than Ultraroyaliste cronies, with their well-deserved honours and pay. It is only us, that shall safeguard Greek Christianity and Civilization from the onslaught of Turkic Islamic and Barbaric Terror akin in violence and immorality to their conquest of Constantinople."

"Let us not be led astray from our path of justice and rule of law by such men as De Sully, let us not be bankrupted and made paupers by such men as Villèle, let us fulfill our Christian Duties, rather than instead of, while education our youth, and let us forever lead France to prosperity and progress! Let us once again have Loyalists and Moderates govern!"

The speech was later published on 1 July 1824 in Paris, Kingdom of France for Le Dioclétien; It was further published on 3 July 1824 for publication in Journal des Débats and Constitutionnel.

Last edited:
Name: Louis Henri Joseph de Bourbon, Prince of Condé
Party: Ultraroyalist
Department: Oise

[Extensive land owner, Noble and peer, Prince du Sang]
[The Condé inheritance +2PP]

Party: Liberal
Department: Somme
[Industrialist/Financier]
[Bonus: Liberal Ego's not a dirty word +1.5 PP]

Jacques de Rothschild

In Marseilles...

notre dame de la garde.jpg

From a rally down at the docks of the Vieux Porte, Thibaut Duval walked up the hill, through his old home neighborhood of the Canebière. Looming over the port of Marseilles, his destination; the Notre Dame de la Garde. He had done everything he could to secure his seat in the Chamber of Deputies for the cause he knew in his heart to be right. Now all he could do was contemplate his fate. He was never a great believer, no more than the next Frenchman, but he had always found great tranquility in Marseille's grand old cathedral. As a boy he had loved Assumption Day, when all of the pilgrims would come from across France to pray to Mary within those stone walls. Maybe within its sanctuary he would find the peace of mind to accept his fate, whatever it may be.

Would a good Catholic marry a Jewess?

Would a good Catholic sire a Jew?

Would a good Catholic slander the devout?

Do you prefer a good Catholic?

Vote de St. Germain

Marquis_de_Lafayette.jpg

Name:
Lieutenant général Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, marquis de La Fayette
Born: 6 September 1757 (aged 67)
Party: Liberal
Profession: Deputy
Department: Seine-et-Marne

An aristocratic scion from an illustrious martial pedigree, Gilbert du Motier de La Fayette has always demonstrated a zealously independent streak, as well as a thirst for personal glory. As a teenager, he gave up a cosy life with a military commission to muscle his way into the ranks of the French nobility aiding the American Revolution. Upon arriving in the rebel colonies, he swiftly earned a reputation as America’s favourite fighting Frenchman, serving on General Washington’s staff and distinguishing himself at Brandywine, Monmouth and Yorktown. Thanks to French guns and ships, the balance shifted in favour of the rebels and the British were defeated. The triumph of a ragtag volunteer army over a global superpower made an impression on La Fayette, whose initial youthful enthusiasm for adventure transformed into a more sophisticated and thoughtful liberalism. In the aftermath, he returned to France, established an anti-slavery society and maintained his friendships with the leading lights of the American republic.

Soon after his return to France, the world turned upside down as the Revolution tore up the old order. Initially a revolutionary darling and commander of the National Guard, La Fayette found himself alienated by the increasingly radical turn of events, until he was finally forced into exile. After spending five years in Austrian captivity, La Fayette was finally amnestied and returned to France, where he refused to have anything to do with Bonaparte’s regime and lived a life of quiet retirement. After a brief role in Bonaparte’s Hundred Days, when he exhorted the legislature to abandon the Emperor, La Fayette was elected to the new Chamber of Deputies despite being entitled to representation in the Peers. Despite his implication in the disastrous Charbonnerie conspiracy, La Fayette managed to avoid public exposure and retain his seat, where remains a senior figure amongst the liberal opposition.

Family Tree

Father: Michel Louis Christophe Motier de La Fayette, 5th marquis de La Fayette (1731-1759)

Mother: Marie Louise Jolie de La Rivière (1737-1770)

Spouse: Marie Adrienne Françoise de Noailles (1759–1807)

Issue: Georges Washington Louis Gilbert de La Fayette (1779-present)
Henriette de La Fayette (1776–1778)
Anastasie de La Fayette (1777–present)
Virginie de La Fayette (1782–1849)

Honours and Distinctions

Member of the American Philosophical Society (1781)

Knight of the Order of Saint Louis (1782)

Doctor of Laws of Harvard College (1784)

Citizen of the United States (1784)

Record of Service

Sub-lieutenant, Musketeers of the Guard (1771-1773)

Lieutenant, Dragoons of the Duc d'Ayen (1773-1775)

Captain, Noailles Dragoons of the Duc d'Ayen (1775-1777)

Major General, Continental Army (1777-1783)

Marshal of the Camp, Royal Army (1782-1789)

Commander-in-Chief, National Guard (1789-1791)

Lieutenant General, Army of the Centre (1791)

Lieutenant General, Army of the North (1792)

Public Offices

Delegate, Assembly of Notables (1788)

Delegate, Estates-General (1789)

Delegate, National Assembly (1789)

Representative, Chamber of Representatives (1815)

Deputy, Chamber of Deputies (1815-present)

Name: Gilbert du Motier, marquis de La Fayette
Party: Indépendant Libéral
[Lancelot Révolutionnaire +1 Sex Appeal]
[Seine-et-Marne]

Reims, (Marne)

The Metropolitan Archbishop of Reims was by now an experienced campaigner, who knew that what really mattered was those who could vote, their opinion and their interests. Therefore, he was not wasting his time by speaking to the populace from his window, which was both silly and unproductive. His secretaries kept a list of the people eligible to vote, and the good priest made sure to bump into them at various places in the city. On this particular evening, he was a guest at the salon of the Marquess de Rohan, whose attendance was always high and thus a prime spot for politicking. And thus, he was, mingling with the crowd.

"Quite certainly, Monsieur Trempe. It has been reported to me that the liberals and doctrinnaires believe that investing in the education of our youth is quite onerous and useless. Maybe they mistake France for the Barbary Coast or Greece. It is true that Monsieur Durand, rather than working for all Frenchmen, prefered to commit his efforts to stirring up the public sentiment for the Greeks, rather than to work with the Ministry to continue the improvement of our economy."

He moved to another discussion, which was on the same topic of education.

"I quite disagree, Monsieur Jutras. Our new educational system will provide the nation with good engineers and men of science. Indeed, through our reforms, we kept the structure of higher studies which make solid consensus among all the deputies, a rather liberal system that doesn't stiffle creativity, within reasonable moral boundaries. You will see that is far more refined that what the liberal fearmongerers who would lead you to believe that we would abandon the Enlightenment which made the renown of our Kingdom."

After more small talk, he moved to a group of businessmen.

"And yet, the liberals wishes to bring back their policies that are tailored to their economic interests, and that of their branks and their friends. Careful of their honeyed words, for they have not your interest at heart but their friends. It is well said, Monsieur Dubois, to say that they are the party of Paris and Paris only."

Name: Henri Bourbon
Party: Doctrinaire

[Between Opportunities]
[Famous Bastard: +1.5 PP]
[Seine]

Last edited:
Arras, Pas de Calais

Victor Durand's journey towards Paris continued as he visited Arras, the capital of Pas-de-Calais, for one of his largest addresses, equal to that in his home town of Lille. During his travel from Lille to Arras, he stopped in various smaller villages to rally support for his Doctrinaires on largely the same message as he did in Lille. He also helped allies in these villages organise large diners and other meetings to convince important members of society in the region to support the prudent Doctrinaires once again in this election.

However, Durand's estimations about the outcome of this election had not changed a bit. Although he would not show it to anyone, indeed, not even to his closest friends and allies, he truly feared for the decimation if not destruction of the Doctrinaires when the results came in. The only hope Durand retained was that a less extreme Ultraroyaliste was appointed to Govern the nation after the election, maybe the Prince of Polignac. Yet his trail carried on, and as he walked towards the window of this small house on the Market Place of Arras, he once again gestured the assembled crowd to silence and began to speak, for liberty, prosperity and France:

"My fellow Frenchmen, my fellow citoyens, I cannot help but sense the deserved resentment this town and indeed all France has for De Sully and his Cronies! Not only has he stifled on your very basic rights by silencing the great voices of reason and truth that are our newspapers and journals in an overt and immoral effort to retain power, he has moved to legalize illegal and counterproductive seizure of your property by his cronies and other wicked allies of his government.

"Furthermore, these Cronies of low character and simple minds now claim that it is only they who actually care for your interests! Let us examine the facts: it was us, the Loyalists and Moderates, that provided this town and France as a whole with a path to prosperity, one, which has been continiously opposed by De Sully and his Cronies. It was us, the Loyalists and Moderates, who designed and implemented a working, prudent and sustainable education system, while the De Sully and his Cronies could only be content with the destruction of that system. I do not know whether these Cronies claim such untrue things because of their low character or simple minds, but it is clear that they are not fit to govern or advice His Most Christian Majesty."

"While the Loyalists and Moderates stand for prosperity, De Sully stands for sezuire of property, while the Loyalists and Moderates stand for education and progress, De Sully stands for division and regression. I can only say, let this resentment we all have against this wicked and counterproductive government not be forgotten in this election."

"Let us not be led astray from our path of justice and rule of law by such men as De Sully, let us not be bankrupted and made paupers by such men as Villèle, let us fulfill our Christian Duties, rather than instead of, while education our youth, and let us forever lead France to prosperity and progress! Let us once again have Loyalists and Moderates govern!"

The speech was later published on 4 July 1824 in Paris, Kingdom of France for Le Dioclétien; It was further published on 6 July 1824 for publication in Journal des Débats and Constitutionnel.

Amiens, Somme

Victor Durand's journey towards Paris entered its third leg as he arrived in the Capital of the Somme Department, Amiens, for his third large address, equal to those in Lille and Arras. During his journey from Arras to Amiens, he, like his journey from Lille to Arras, regularly stopped in small towns and villages to meet the local electors at diners and other social events organised by his allies in the region. Although he started to prefer the open air speeches for their frankness and the direct reaction of the assembled crowds, his rallying of support for the Doctrinaires at such social events was deemed more directly effective by many of his friends.

His views on the possible outcome of this election, however, have not changed since the start of his journey, as he became more informed about local measures Ultraroyalistes had taken to assure their victory in his neighbouring departments. It cannot, however, be said that the Ultraroyalistes held any clear grudge against Victor Durand personally, as they had taken few measures or spend much capital in his seat. Maybe they wanted him returned to the Chamber? This was a futile line of thought and Durand quickly returned to preparing himself for the large Banquet held in his honour in Amiens to rally support for the Loyal and Moderate Cause.

Not much later he moved between various groupings of supporters or doubters to convince them or strengthen their support.

"Of course, Monsieur de Vilbert, do I believe that we need to return to the economic management of Monsieur de Rothschild; I am very afraid that the Government will run our Kingdom's finances into the ground with their futile effort to return France to pre-revolutionary times; both in reality and lackings of course. No, the only way we can assure the path to prosperity remains open for good French citoyens such as yourself is by re-establishing the proven policies of myself and Monsieur de Rothschild."

"Indeed, the Education System changes made by this Government are only explainable through the eyes of a religious ideologue, who, in having the Church forced to maintain schools, teachers and students with money it cannot raise itself, believes it a better alternative to a system where the Church is adequately represented in schools and the schools are highly if not completely self-sustainable when it comes to capital. These changes do not improve education, do increase the cost of education and may very well overburden our already overworked clergymen of our Church!"

"I, too, am very much concerned by the legal changes made by the De Sully Government, not only does it allow the cronies of this Government to practically seize large amounts of legally owned land across France, to the detriment of prosperity and stability, it also allows the De Sully cronies to crack down on all publications of the truth and reason that show case the many mismanagements and mistakes of the De Sully Government, without any real explanation or defence provided by the Government. I can only fear if these men of low character and simple minds are able to win a majority in the Chamber of Deputies. Only the King and God could protect us then."

Durand would continue to discuss and dine with the men of standing of Arras until late in the evening. With this diner and his soapbox address in Arras done, he would continue down the road to Paris, with his next large stop being Beauvais in Oise.

Troyes, France

The
last days of an electoral contest were always the most busy, with organization in full swing to ensure that friendly voters were led to the polls, quite literally, In Troyes, the Archbishop of Reims was reviewing the reports from the field organization, which consisted mostly in clergymen sympathetic to his personal cause, and well aware that the fate of the educational system was hanging in the balance.

"Frère Dupras, how are the procuration votes right now?" asked the prelate.
"Very good Monsignor, we have already canvassed the outlying estates and many first voters are hapoy to be able to vote rather than to do the trip to Troyes. We are slowly doing the areas closer to here, it is a rather efficient process."

The prelate was quite satisfied with this report. If all was going well, criss-crossing for procuration vote was to be held in many departments, reestablishing the Ultraroyalists, whose support was concentrated in the countryside, on par with the urban doctrinnaires and bourgeois liberals.

"Any signs of our opponents?"
"Well, some, but the usual business. A liberal candidate was canvassing the market the other day, but I doubt he got most votes, not a lot of customers can afford the vote tax. And there is a candidate who asked for the permission to greet citizens on the Cathedral steps this sunday."
"Let him, better not politicize the church".

Satisfied that all was well in hand, he toured several prominent supporters, who'se influence was paramount to the cause. Speaking with the Count of Saint-Sylvestre, he debated the fine foreign policy in place.

"Well, I can assurely say that the Prince of Polignac has proven quite the revelation of this Ministry. He is certainly young, but stubborn and decisive. He has manoeuvered the likes of Metternich quite adroitely and he contributed largely to the restoration of French prestige and respect abroad. Quite simply, this one doesn't get his policy decisions from Vienna, which is quite an improvement. Shall you come to Paris, I will endeavor to acquaint you with him my dear friend."

Beauvais, (Oise)

The Metropolitan Archbishop of Reims had business in the Bishopric of Beauvais, a see nominaly under the Archbishopric of Cambrai, vacant at the present moment. Desirous to assess the talent of the local clergy as well as the potential for the Bishop of Beauvais to earn a promotion, the Minister of Religious Affairs was attending a dinner with the clergy, to which a lot of influential voters had naturally flocked, for social occasions in the provinces were quite rare and rather well attended. Speaking with his episcopal colleague, he was heard saying :

"Well, obviously, the policies of the current ministry are deeply rooted in morality. First, we have fulfilled our promise to keep th former Churchlands under the Crown. They are not being converted to agricultural lots and rented to peasants, improving the food supplies as well as providing work to people who would be otherwise condemned to vagrancy. But furthermore, we have also raised the salaries of the clergy, to lift the vocation out of misery and help with the recruitement of new clergymen, since we have an ordination deficit compared to the passing of currentl clergymen."

The Bishop agreed, offering a statement about his own lack of priest to tend to certain villages more remote. To which, the Archbishop added.

" Well, to be frank, it doesnt help the Diocese that the Metropolitan see is vacant. It certainly hinders the recrutement in the seminary and the attraction of priest. In Reims, the vacancies are dwindling. I must make a recommendation to His Majesty for Cambrai in the upcoming weeks, and seeing how well you are tending to the affairs of Beauvais, I believe you will certainly be part of my recommandation."

Nothing more needed to be said. The Bishop would certainly deliver, for ambition, once recognized into someone, is a powerful tool. He shifted the subject back to the moral conduct of the Ministry.

" And what is to be said of our educational reform? A school in every parish, and the means to open and staff them. A system once again recognizing the Faith as being a pillar upon which stands the Throne, vital and necessayr to the upholding of our monarchy. I tell you this, the destruction of our educational system by governments pasts has done a terrible disserviçe to an entire generation."

((Private))

The night before the election, Duval had a nightmare in which his opponent, Henri-Maurice, was turning into a stag and back, endlessly.

st. germain.png

He awoke feeling like a worm that had been crushed by a rock, but lived.