• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by Isaac Brock
RR doesn't directly affect the economy in 1.07.

Is this also true of 1.07beta? I was sure that all positive revolt risk, x 5%, was the modifier to the economic output of a province. I never thought to really look, but as China I had *negative* economic outputs for some provinces due to nationalism, scripted revolt events, and random events (-125% was the all-time winner). At least that's what the mouse-over claimed, but I don't know of any real way to measure the *actual* output of the nation, other than by counting up what the values should be for each individual province, then comparing the total to the economic table.

If all random event RR is of short duration I really do believe this problem goes away, particularly if the long duration historical RR events are cut back to events of 2 years or so duration. There will be flukey cases where it gets totally out of control for a few years, but that is an immense improvement over now, where it always gets out of control.

If the random events are a year or less *and* you flag them so they're disable during historical events then you have your solution, at least going in one direction. If you get the random event first and it stacks for 20 years with an historical event - well, that's just plain bad luck, eh? Learn to live with it, I say. Things suck even worse than they did historically - think of it as a test of your mettle.

By the way how many long historical RR events are there? Timurids and maybe some Persians is all I can think of.

War of the Roses. Wars of Religion. Many Chinese and Japanese events. Certain options in other countries, e.g., Sweden, Denmark, Russia, and so forth.

I strongly suggest focussing on the historical events. The random event RR is a useful and (to me) interesting tool, I don't think it should be abandoned out of hand.

I agree. I think it's enough to shorten random revolt events and to flag them. It's rather unlikely you'll get a random event, and then have it stack with an historical event - quite unlikely, actually. If it does happen to you then consider it bad luck.

An additional option: in random revolt events, provide an option that allows a player to avoid RR at the cost of something else - stab, money, decentralization, whatever. So if a player *knows* that some pretty nasty historical events are coming up (e.g., you're playing China in just about any time period) you can go for option b or c to actively avoid the 'reverse stacking' that can't otherwise be dealt with.

Max

Originally posted by maxpublic
Is this also true of 1.07beta? I was sure that all positive revolt risk, x 5%, was the modifier to the economic output of a province. I never thought to really look, but as China I had *negative* economic outputs for some provinces due to nationalism, scripted revolt events, and random events (-125% was the all-time winner). At least that's what the mouse-over claimed, but I don't know of any real way to measure the *actual* output of the nation, other than by counting up what the values should be for each individual province, then comparing the total to the economic table.

If the random events are a year or less *and* you flag them so they're disable during historical events then you have your solution, at least going in one direction. If you get the random event first and it stacks for 20 years with an historical event - well, that's just plain bad luck, eh? Learn to live with it, I say. Things suck even worse than they did historically - think of it as a test of your mettle.

War of the Roses. Wars of Religion. Many Chinese and Japanese events. Certain options in other countries, e.g., Sweden, Denmark, Russia, and so forth.

I agree. I think it's enough to shorten random revolt events and to flag them. It's rather unlikely you'll get a random event, and then have it stack with an historical event - quite unlikely, actually. If it does happen to you then consider it bad luck.

An additional option: in random revolt events, provide an option that allows a player to avoid RR at the cost of something else - stab, money, decentralization, whatever. So if a player *knows* that some pretty nasty historical events are coming up (e.g., you're playing China in just about any time period) you can go for option b or c to actively avoid the 'reverse stacking' that can't otherwise be dealt with.

Max

Ah, blast it. Sorry for the double post. If a moderator could delete this one I'd be obliged.

Originally posted by maxpublic
Is this also true of 1.07beta? I was sure that all positive revolt risk, x 5%, was the modifier to the economic output of a province. I never thought to really look, but as China I had *negative* economic outputs for some provinces due to nationalism, scripted revolt events, and random events (-125% was the all-time winner).
Sorry I thought the question was about 1.07, not the beta. For the beta you're right.

If the random events are a year or less *and* you flag them so they're disable during historical events then you have your solution, at least going in one direction.

I agree that this is probably the best solution going. Ideally I would substitute alternate events for countries who are going through historic events (stability hit, fixed revolts) to replace the "vetoed" events. In fact I'm almost interested enough to help out with that.

Not quite. Wars of religion are all province revolt risk. I had thought that the Wars of the Roses were too, but you could well be right. China is an excellent example, and I suppose Japan has the same problem. Russia is right, but I don't remember Swedish events that work that way.

Two thoughts:

Stacking RR is not the worst thing; perhaps it could be a tool to have a bad situation go to worse (Timurids, Golden Horde etc) over time. If a nation is not dissappearing like it should, some countrysize triggered events could be added as contingencies to add some needed RR.

For nations where the intended level of RR is sufficiently high to preclude troop building, add a couple of events that add troops and take out cash. Let that be the A option, as the AI will most often take it and can support the additional troops, at least with present cheats.

How many random revoltrisk adding events are there?

Originally posted by EUnderhill
Stacking RR is not the worst thing; perhaps it could be a tool to have a bad situation go to worse (Timurids, Golden Horde etc) over time. If a nation is not dissappearing like it should, some countrysize triggered events could be added as contingencies to add some needed RR.

I actually am doing this one for my changes to the Timurids. RR starts out as an annoyance during war and the eventually blossoms into an all out problem. So I agree that its not the worst thing, if its planned for. However its definitely unplanned when RR is in random events.

Re: About removing RR...

Originally posted by Llywelyn
Is this still necessary with the beta?

jay.

Yep, RR stacks no matter what version you are using. So, whatever version we ultimately decide to use, the stacking RR is an issue.

How much editing is the flagging of events going to require. Since there are so many fewer random events than historical ones, would it not make more sense to try to fix things on that end, rather than edit the events of every country individually as well? Perhaps I'm not understanding how the flags will work. I will go back and reread the proposals.

Re: About removing RR...

Originally posted by Llywelyn
Is this still necessary with the beta?

jay.

If anything it's worse in the beta test version. Under 1.07 the difference between 10% RR and 20% RR is not that severe, either way you'll need a lot of large armies to crush the revolts that pop up every month. When the income loss comes into play the difference between 10% RR and 20% RR is prohibitive - it become impossible to recruit at all.

I'm compiling a list of RR events from the standard GC. I'm guessing it will be around 100 events, although about 1/2 of these are probably 12 months or less, and probably 1/4 could simply be modified to make the RR higher and the duration shorter. But it is a significant task. Add in the EEP events and you probably double it (not too sure exactly).

Top Ten Monst Wanted

By the way how many long historical RR events are there? Timurids and maybe some Persians is all I can think of.....

Anybody know how many long historical RR events there are?

Ok here is the list of the ten longest historical events. The identity of some of these characters was a surprise to me (this in the Paradox version. I'd imagine the mods may be better as some of these guys will be gone!)

1) Timurids, Disintegration +8 for 588 months
2) Mughal Empire, Aurangzib's Religious Intolerance +5 for 480 months
2) Dai Viet, Mac and Trinh: +2 for 480 months
4) Bosnia, Bogamils +3 for 364 months
5) China, Fall of Ming +5 for 340 months
6) China, White Lotus +15 for 300 months
7) Russia, Duma +3 for 240 months
7) Russia, Absolutism +2 for 240 months
7) Russia, Precedence +1 for 240 months
7) China, Chingzhen suicide +20 for 240 months
7)Poland, Struggle for Royal Power +5 for 240 months
7) France, War of Religion (1621) +1 for 240 months
7) Sweden, Pietism +1 for 240 months
7) England Enclosure, +1 for 240 months
7) Mughal Empire, Akbar Tolerance -5 for 240 months

All of these present immense stack up problems. Akbar's tolerance is the worst, as it's supposed to be a good effect, but random events as they are it's liable to end up being very ugly. But others here are (I thinK) simple effects that, because of stack up, can become crippling.

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE

The entire list

Here is every single event that uses RR. A lot are short term and not a problem, but a lot are long term. I was quite surprised by the scope of the problem.

Code:
[color=skyblue]
Ak Koyunlu Persia resurrected +8 120 months

Bohemia WinterKing +12 60 months

Burgundy Marriage of Anne +4 48 months

Castille Civil War +5 48 months

China 	Zheng Ho +8 60 months
	Emperor Capture +3 96 months
	Famine +5 36 months2
	Manchu Rebellion +5/+10 60 months
	White Lotus +15/+10 300/240 months
	Financial Crisis +10 60 months
	Li Zechang +10/+5 12 months
	Chingzhen suicide +20  240 months
	Fall of Ming +5 120/340 months
	Manchu takeover +5 60 months
	End of Ming +10 120 months
	White Lotus rebellion +6/+15 24 months
	Celestial Order +6/+15 24 months
	8 Trigrams +4/+10 24 months

Denmark	Christian II +3 72 months
	Vornedskab +3 120 months
	Counts Feud +8/+5 48 months
	'Stavnsbåndet' +3 120 months
	Pietism +1 120 months AND +2 24 months
	Landbo +4 120 months

England	Lollards +3 36 months
	Star Chamber +3 60 months
	Enclosure +1 240 months
	Jane Grey +6 36 months
	Mary Queen of Scots +2 12 months
	Parliamentary conflict +3/+1 96 months
	Jacobite +3 24/60 months
	Jacobite +5 24/60 months
	Gunpowder Plot +5 12 months

France 	Voltaire +1 12 months
	Permanent Taxes +2 60 months
	Permanent Army +2 60 months
	Revolt in France +3 48
	War of Religion (1621) +1 240
	Fronde +3/+2/+1 60 months
	Bankruptcy +4 60 months
	Machault +1/+3 60 months
	Terror +3 18 months
	Chouan +3 24 months

Austria	Peasant Revolt +3 36 months
	Josef II +4/+2 36 months
	Reactionary Reforms +3 156 months

Netherlands	Calvinism +3 12 months
		Revolution +3 156 months

Hungary	Religious Revolt +6 36 months

Inca Civil War +10 72 months

Lithuania 	Statute +6 12 months
		Nemiem Captivabus +6 12 months
		Protestantism +6 60
		Calvinism +6 60
		Religious Tolerance (x3) +10/+6/+4 24 months
		Magnates +5 60 months
		Librum Veto +3 60 months
		Civil War +3/+6 24/80 months

Manchu  Three Feudatories +10/+5 84 months	
	Empire of China +2 84 months
	White Lotus  +15/+6 24 months
	Celestial Order +15/+6 24 months
	Eight Trigrams +10/+4 24 months

Moscow	Civil War +2/+5 12 months
	Subednik +6 12 months

Novgorod Civil War +10/+8/+10 48 months

Papacy 	Bruno +2 12 months
	Counter Reformation +3 216

Persia	Abbas +4 48 months
	Turmoil (x8) +5 48 months
	Fragmentation (x8) +4 48 months

Poland	Copernicus +3 12 months
	Nemiem Captivabus +6 12 months
	Conventiones Particulares +6 12 months
	Statute of Piotrkow +2 24 months
	Act of Union +6 24 months
	Jesuit King +12 48 months
	Struggle for Royal Power +1/-2/+5 120/120/240 months
	Sucession 1697 +2/+6/+3 12 months
	Dethronement +3 12 months

Portugal	Joao I +3 12 months
		Alfonsine Ordinances +5 12 months
		Tavoras +3 60 months
		Pombal 3 60 months
		Liberal Opposition +5/+2 12 months

Russia	Time of Troubles +8/+10/+10 72 months
	Serfdom +3 163 months		
	Sobornoj Ulozjenije +3 36
	Nikon +1 60 months
	Rasin +6/+2 60 months
	Absolutism +2 240 months
	Precedence +1 240 months
	Duma +3 240 months
	Pugatchev +10 120 months (although it doesn't look that way!)

Scotland 	Highland Chiefs +3 156 months
		Knox +4 120 months
		Coveneant +2 12 months
		Mary Stuart +6 36
		Regents +3 24 months
		Civil War (x2) +3 60 months

Spain	Communeros +6/+2/+4 24/18/18 months
	Moriscos +6 12 months

Golden Horde	+10/+3 120 months

Sweden	Swedenborg +1 12 months
	Engelbrecht +4 12 months
	End of Kalmar +4 36 months
	Gustav Vasa +5 48 months
	Dacke +4 24 months
	Vasteras +3 120 months
	Walloons +3 48 months
	Mercantile Reforms +4 48 months
	Oxentierna +5 36 months
	Charles X +3/+4 6/24 months
	Quarter reduction of Christiana +3 12 months
	Catholic Maiden +3/+5 12/60 months
	Charles XI +4 48 months
	Arvid Horn +6 60 months
	Pietism +1 240 months!!
	Anjala +5 60 months
	Agricultural reform +3/48 months

Timurids	Disintegration +8/+5 588/12 months
		Persia Resurrected 10 120 months

Ottomans	Royal Bureaucracy:  +6/+4 24/12 months
		Decentralizing (x3):  +6/+8 12/48 months
		Army reform +4 48 months
		Kosem Sultana +5 12 months
		Tunisian rebellion +4 36 months
		Tripolitan rebellion +4 36 months
		Tulip Age +5/+4 36/12 months
		Patrona Halil:  +4 24 months
		Army reform +4 48/24 months
		Algerian rebellion +4 36 months

USA	Federal Taxes:  +2 64 months

Ayutthaya	King Ekit'at +5 120 months

Bosnia	Bogamils +3 364 months

Dai Viet	Mac and Trinh:  +2 480 months
		Annam revolt: +8 12 months
		Tay Son: +5/+2 36/12 months 

Delhi	Lodi:  +5 12 months
	Lodi Incompetence:  +5 12 months

Mughal Empire	Collapse +10 48 months
		Panipat +5 12 months
		Akbar Tolerance -5 240 months
		Aurangzib's Religious Intolerance +5 480 months
		Sucession 1707 +3/+5 12 months
		Sucession 1712 +3/+5 12 months

Japan	Shocho Ikki +15 12 months
	Harima Ikki +15 12 months
	The Eikyo war +10 24 months
	Kakitsu Ikki +10 12 months
	Hatakeyama +15 60 months
	The Kyotoku War +5 12 months
	Onin War +10 60 months
	Onin War (another) +10 60 months
	Onin War (another) +10/+15 60 months
	Kaga Ikko-ikki +10 48 months
	Expulsion +10 120 months

Vientiane	Succession Crisis:  +5 12 months

Vijayanagar	City of Victory +10/+11 60 months
[/color]

Yes, the problem is rampant, especially if we use events from each of the mods as well. I know for instance, that I gave Morocco some as well.

Although I think that things should be changed on a general level for all the the RR random events and historical events, I still think that the Timurids should be exempted from most of the RR random events except for like one or two +1, ones just in case the disintegration went really bad. This is only because, it gets really messy and hard to stay on top of, if I try to implement all the historic RR changes in bits and pieces. I think in this case, it would just be easier to have the Timurid ai have 'flags = { Timurid = yes } and then have the RR random events only trigger for nations without 'Timurid' as an active flag.

I think getting rid of all random +/- RR events is a good idea, at least until Paradox can fix the stacking bug.

P.S. Same thing happens with monarch rating adjustments. A country like Russia can get a +1 DIP event for 20 years and along comes a -4 DIP random event and they are stuck with a 20 year -3 adjustment to their monarch's DIP rating.

*agrees* I don't like the random RR increases... Better to make them stab-hits and random revolts.

Originally posted by Gebhard Blucher
I think getting rid of all random +/- RR events is a good idea, at least until Paradox can fix the stacking bug.

It is not a big, and is working as it was designed. So don't hold your breath for it to be changed.

I hate to give up RR in random events, as it is impossible to simulate it's effects without a lot of work, but given the scope of the problem I don't really see that it can be kept in a practical way.

I think that to simulate RR there need to be a LOT of revolts, and these absolutely MUST scale with country size.

It is not a big, and is working as it was designed. So don't hold your breath for it to be changed.

I hate to give up RR in random events, as it is impossible to simulate it's effects without a lot of work, but given the scope of the problem I don't really see that it can be kept in a practical way.

I think that to simulate RR there need to be a LOT of revolts, and these absolutely MUST scale with country size.

Absolutely.