• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How does one add a thumbnail to their workshop item?

Add an image in your mod folder and then in the .mod file add picture = nameofimage.format

Is it possible to change the date system? I'd like it to be something non-Earthbased as it breaks my immersion being an alien race that just happens to have 12 months in a year and 30 days in a month with the year starting coincidentally 200 years after modern Earth time.

I'd prefer to start at zero and count the years of your mission, perhaps in multiples of 100 (eg "21.62.13")

Something like Star Trek's "stardate" would be a million times better and I'm not even that into Star Trek.

I made a thread about it before I noticed this one. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-format-earth-date-system-feels-wrong.927864/

You can change the start date but none of the other things you mention.

Localisations doesn't seem to be working well for me. Is there any key differences from EU4 localisation scheme I should know about? For example, what's the number at the end of namespace I saw in vanilla localisation files? For example:

Code:
tm_semi_static_we_defensive:0 "Losing Defensive War(s)"
tm_semi_static_we_defensive_desc:0 "In accordance with our §ESemi-Static§! War Economy Policy, our valiant citizens have started to make sacrifices in our desperate defense against the alien aggressors."

I also saw 1 as value for the number in other localisation like "BUILD_STATION_TOO_CLOSE:1"

Those numbers are used by us to keep track of what needs to be re-translated and not. You can ignore this, just write 0 after each of your own lines.

Reactions:
I've downloaded a few mods to see how they work. When that happens, I only got the mod dot file, in that file it has this line "remote_file_id="681894160"".

Could someone please explain to me, I don't understand, this never happens to EU4 mods?

The actual mod will be under a workshop folder that should have appeared in your Stellaris folder under Documents.

@Captain Gars any chance you can tell me what I am doing wrong with my event I posted earlier?

How do you add new Galaxy Shapes maps (Not make them, but add additional modified ones)? It doesn't seem to work for me. This is what ive tried:

Stellaris\map\galaxy
Added a new galaxy shape (copy/pasted/edited/renamed), for example, star_shape1

Then in Stellaris\map\setup_scenarios I add (to my setup_scenario)

supports_shape = star_shape1

But it doesn't load the new Galaxy Shape in game. What am I missing? Running out of idea's. Edited ones of the same name (original files) work, but I want to add additional Galaxy Shapes to my new Galaxy Maps.

Last edited:
So I'm curious on how galaxy sizes are set. For example I want to create a galaxy with 2000 stars but at the same time want the stars to be a little more spread out. I assumed radius would mean the overall radius of the galaxy so I set that higher expecting it to 'stretch' the star map but all that does is cluster a ton of stars at the rim. Are galaxy sizes capped or do one of the other values effect that?

@mechl: when you say that you've changed it, are you talking about radius = 450 under setup_scenario in files like huge.txt under \map\setup_scenarios?

@Captain Gars any chance you can tell me what I am doing wrong with my event I posted earlier?

Have you checked your error log? Because it should tell you. There is no effect scope called any_owned_leader. It should be every/random_owned_leader.

Have you checked your error log? Because it should tell you. There is no effect scope called any_owned_leader. It should be every/random_owned_leader.
I got that scope from your own events, the test events file.

How does one proceed in order to update a Workshop mod?

Do any modable interactions/decisions (similar to e.g. targeted decisions in CK2) exist, apart from empire-wide and planetary edicts? Things like interactions with specific pops/planets/ships/leaders...?

Related to Langor's post above, is there any way to script the galaxy shapes more such as creating new shapes similar to arms or ring with scripting instead of just changing some variables for existing ones?

If by new shapes you mean add something other than the four types (spiral_2, ring etc.), then no you can't.

Just re-upload it how you uploaded it in the first place.

Wouldn't that make a new copy? Where people would have to re-subscribe? Also, how do you add the initial Workshop picture, the one you see when you browse? I know you can add pictures/videos, but I don't know how to add the initial picture when uploading a mod.

@Captain Gars I mean adding additional shape files. So you can only use and edit the four (elliptical, ring, spiral_2, spiral_4) LUA documents? You cant add any custom additional ones to the game you can only edit the original ones? That's kind of a limiting handicap for customization and modablity don't you think? Space game where you can't add additional map layouts... :( :(

Is there an option where I can make sex specific full names (f.e full_names_male etc.). I have tried the code I mentioned but for some reason those names don't appear..

Also where can I find localisation for name lists because it seems that localisations/name_lists is just random localisation file..

There sort of is. As you can see in the 00_robot_pops file they eat "robot_food". And you can modify this by buildings, adding something like this to a building:

Code:
  pop_growth = {
     produced_growth_resources = {
       robot_food = 1.0
     }

on_pop_created = {
       set_pop_flag = robot_pop_tier_1
     }
     can_upgrade_pop = {
       always = no
     }

can_grow_pop = {
       has_pop_flag = robot_pop_tier_1
     }

create_species_effect = {
       create_species = {
         name = "ROBOT_POP_SPECIES_1"
         class = "ROBOT"
         portrait = "robot1"
         traits = {
           trait = "trait_mechanical"
           trait = "trait_robotic_1"
         }
         new_pop_resource_requirement = {
           type = robot_food
           value = 12.0
         }
         pops_can_be_colonizers = no
         pops_can_migrate = no
         pops_can_reproduce = no
         pops_can_join_factions = no
         pop_maintenance = 2
         pops_can_be_slaves = no
         can_generate_leaders = no
         can_be_modified = no
         pops_have_happiness = no
         pop_ethics = no      
       }
     }
   }

But be aware. There is a reason the base game does not do this and it is because it lead to difficulties with the AI handling maintenance for pops. So if you do use it, set pop_maintenance to zero.

I love you Gar, thank you so, so much. I never would've seen the AI issue in a million years either haha.

So I've been creating a mod as well (Wanted to do it earlier for EUIII, HoI3, Vicky 2, EUIV, EU: Rome... yeah, you're getting the point by now.) and one of the things I've added is an extra diplomatic option (Exchange Cultures). However, despite editing all the necessary files the option simply does not show up in the diplomacy menu. I'm guessing I need to change the GUI. The file diplomacy_view.gfx and/ or diplomacy_view.gui look like the targets.

Anyone got any idea what programs to use how to achieve this?

So I've been creating a mod as well (Wanted to do it earlier for EUIII, HoI3, Vicky 2, EUIV, EU: Rome... yeah, you're getting the point by now.) and one of the things I've added is an extra diplomatic option (Exchange Cultures). However, despite editing all the necessary files the option simply does not show up in the diplomacy menu. I'm guessing I need to change the GUI. The file diplomacy_view.gfx and/ or diplomacy_view.gui look like the targets.

Anyone got any idea what programs to use how to achieve this?

Diplomatic actions are hardcoded, none can be added at this time, at best you can modify a few parameters of the existing ones.