• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In the strategy guide, or the manual I can't remember, it is said that there is a tiping point where threat is so high that countries that are closer to you start to "fold" and stop drifting away from you. In other words, they start to see no reason to go against you since you are too strong. Any idea on how this plays out?

Japan warring with Chinas can destroy your efforts if you got them in Axis before that. Considering maybe keeping them out just to avoid building up threat in Axis faction too early.

That's the broken bit of the game right there. The influence the diplomats have is greater than any other single factor in the USA's alignment.

Drift as a whole needs to be greatly reduced with some kind of (if not already present) diminishing returns the closer you get to each faction), but in addition the effect from diplomats needs to be greatly reduced. You should be able to influence a nation's internal drift, your diplomats should not be able to do bloody jedi mind tricks with their government.

e: In a sentence: Foreign diplomats should not be able to influence a nation's ideology more than their own government.

I think that is the key part, they SHOULD not be able, but since the computer is not countering it, it works of course IRL the Hoover and the US administration did counter German propaganda. This would be US spies working in opposition to German ones. But the computer does not do this. If in a MP then the US should detroy the enemy spies and use its own spies internally and on Germany.

France did invade Germany from the Maginot line. The going was too easy, no one to fight, so they went home and waited for the Germans to come to them.

As far as making Denmark the bad guy, why not make Switzerland the bad guy?

You guys are correct. I was not aware of the Saar offensive. Now I will have to read more about it.

I find this to be an interesting new mechanic, rather then historical, for the most part. It's quite gamey and can easily result in absurd gamesessions since the AI doesn't appear to deal with it very well in the current version of the game (your Denmark example is excellent proof). Hopefully balancing have a mediating effect.

I dont understand peoples fascination with the precise history of WWII? From what i understand, this is a grand strategy game set in the era of WWII, not an interactive WWII movie.

Isnt the intention that you can use your military and politics to change world events?

Wow nice job breaking all this down. I knew how most of this worked but I never put it together like this, and now it makes sense more than ever.

I dont understand peoples fascination with the precise history of WWII? From what i understand, this is a grand strategy game set in the era of WWII, not an interactive WWII movie.

Isnt the intention that you can use your military and politics to change world events?

This just depends on who you talk to. Seems like some people never want the game to change, but always play out the exact same way (cept for have germany win, go figure).
Then there are the people who aren't sure how the game works and can't understand how they should play for a historical game if they want to, so they complain about it.

These seem like the 2 most vocal groups saying it should be more historical.

FYI, im not one of the above I like the new system much better

Last edited:
After reading your post, I decided to wait to implement Reclaiming the Rhineland. In early '37, after the Nationalists won the Spanish Civil War, I went to check the Diplo screen to see what it said about Rhineland. It was gone. I hadn't activated it, I hadn't received the benefits, but the option had just vanished. I'm not sure if its on an invisible timer, because the option had been there earlier.

So, I reloaded the old autosave as that was at the right time period, to see if the option was there. I loaded up the game, and sure enough it was. So I implemented it. But this time, there was no Spanish Civil War. I waited 'til July '37 and the Spanish Civil War hadn't started. I'm beginning to think that game is a wash; I may try reloading a save from earlier in '36, to see if there are any other bugs - if indeed those are bugs.

Don't delay past Dec for Reclaiming the Rhineland, or you won't get the option. :mad:

Otherwise, good job on this strategy! By '37, the poor Danes were carting around over 30 threat! Everyone in the world was afraid of them, even Japan! Of course, that could be considered just a tad cheesy.

It is not about recreating WWII because everybody know what would happen. But then again, there are many players who would like to play a somewhat historical WWII. That has become very hard in HOI3.

And even worse, lots of people bought this game because the level of historical play you could have in HOI2. To be honest, if it stays so hard to play historically some people might have not bought the game.

This is even aside from the ridiculous AI behaviour you get sometimes. South Africa going Overlord on me etc. :wacko:

It is not about recreating WWII because everybody know what would happen. But then again, there are many players who would like to play a somewhat historical WWII. That has become very hard in HOI3.

And even worse, lots of people bought this game because the level of historical play you could have in HOI2. To be honest, if it stays so hard to play historically some people might have not bought the game.

This is even aside from the ridiculous AI behaviour you get sometimes. South Africa going Overlord on me etc. :wacko:

From what i've read, these people all want ww2 to play out like a story, except to include massive conquests for the country they play as, that is not reacted to in any way. A super aggressive germany that conquers early gets angry that USA joins early and mexico helps invasions

But, to get back on topic, in a recent game as germany, i applied the most possible influence and "support my party" to nationalist spain, attempting to get them in to my alliance (i was also maxing lower neutrality on the home front), but didnt get my neutrality low enough in time to help

Has anyone succeeded in really getting involved in this war

WW2 shouldn't be a story, but what it does NEED is some sort of balance, which needs to be steered by the game designers.

Japan being a total whimp totally imbalances alot of things. That finland does or does not join the axis is pretty minor. But the major powers should atleast give each other some struggle.

US+UK+USA+USSR vs GR isn't really interesting unless you play germany. This game should give the player a challenge, that challenge is gone when major parts aren't working.

Building massive fleets and armies as USA till 1940 and then wiping entire europe might be fun the first time, but the replayability goes down like a rock.
USA NEEDS nasty japan to give it nice gameplay.

There are two very different issues.

1- You feel the game has took a ahistorical route. All I can say to this is, you are late in the discussion. The whole engine2 was more historical than engine3 is something that has been beaten to death on these forums. HOI3 took the same road that EU3 did, a more fluid and open ended game that is based on history but not designed to reenact it without the players hand. (Mind you, I'm one of the people that really loves the scripted play of EU2 and HOI2, but I know this discussion is pointless, it is a design decision made long ago)

2- Some of this ahistorical things that happen make no sense at all, Finland landing in Albania, Mexico in Germany etc. That is a different issue, and one that is expected to happen at launch. These things will no doubt get corrected and balanced over time.

lmao.

everyone ignores the nazi superstate with 300 divisions and focuses on denmark.

ditto. I was reminded of the Onion article in their 'Americas Dummest Century" book--

"Outnumbered and brave German soldiers turn back Polish menace."

Otherwise, good job on this strategy! By '37, the poor Danes were carting around over 30 threat! Everyone in the world was afraid of them, even Japan! Of course, that could be considered just a tad cheesy.

The more I think about this, the more it sort of makes sense.

Bare with me a sec.

Most people who read WWII books focus on the biggies--campaigns, strategy, biographies. Few people read 'the other books'--those dealing with the shadow war, spies, deception, psychological warfare. Those tend not to sell well.

But when you read them, you start seeing how the Brits propagandized the US from 1939 forward; how the Germans sponsored the Bund in the US to counter that. How the US spread agents throughout South America to counter Axis agents well before 1941, and how the USSR planted agents in France, the US and the UK to gain intel, influence them, and so on.

I think that we all fall into the trap sometimes of "X happened, was destined to happen, and happened because of Y"--when the reality is often that X happened because of a series of events, M through Q, that led directly to X occurring. One of the big surprises of WWII history was when the ULTRA/MAGIC secret came out in the 1970's--before then, it was the sheer military genius of Patton, Montgomery, et al that defeated the Axis. Not the fact that the Allies were reading the Axis mail...and that the Soviets were reading the Allied mail.

So, if a player does not really play the intel war, they end up with wide variations in outcomes from the historical war...because in history, there was a substantial focus on the intelligence war, perhaps more so than the focus players tend to have on technological advancement.

So, if a player does not really play the intel war, they end up with wide variations in outcomes from the historical war...because in history, there was a substantial focus on the intelligence war, perhaps more so than the focus players tend to have on technological advancement.

This is very true but we seem to have gone to the other extreme, in my opinion.

I tired it...

As Germany in my current game, this seems to work just fine. With 4 points in Espionage, I have made France the greatest threat to most everyone except for a short period at the beginning of the Spanish Civil war and just after the Marco Polo Bridge incident. I am getting a much more historical outcome with only France, UK, Poland and South Africa in the Allies as of Jan, 1939.

The non-historical part is that I have Italy, Hungary, Portugal and Nat. Spain in the Axis already and I haven't had Fall Weis yet. I could also add Japan now but they are doing so poorly, I am holding off. Also, I have been fighting the USSR for Romanian influence virtually the entire time.

This being HOI, I have no way of knowing if this nearly historical outcome is a fluke or will be repeatable in my next game...