• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Venice location is pretty bad, it cannot get trade from around africa so it has to go through Alexandria or Constantinople which is much shorter route = less bonus.

I think that Portugal is the best nation for trading if you include both location and ideas. Netherlands might be also ok if you manage to get the trade through Ivory ->Timbuktu->Tunis->Genoa->Antwerpen

Ah, I see. So it's basically 20*(1+1/2+1/3+1/4+1/5)

The problem with Portugal, it seems, is that is has a lower naval forcelimit compared to England and Spain...

yuZKojL.png

This was the best I managed as GB. Even with 750 light ships working the lanes, there were some quite serious leaks I never managed to plug- barely got 50% of the trade going in the right direction at Aden, ludicrous competition in that region. I also never got trade flowing out of China and into Malacca, that probably cost me three or four hundred ducats right there.

So do you not have to worry about the naval force limit at all? Should I just be building ships whenever I possibly can?

There tends to be a snowball effect- the more ships you have, the more trade you get, and the more trade you get, the more ships you can afford. If you're making a mint then going double your forcelimits is doable- the over forcelimit penalty is not insignificant, but it's not necessarily a killer, either.

OTOH, naval forcelimit is relatively easy to raise- the level 3 dock building gives limit, and one of the naval ideas doubles your forcelimits. So, put shipyards in every coastal province you own and grab the naval idea chain as soon as possible.

yuZKojL.png

This was the best I managed as GB. Even with 750 light ships working the lanes, there were some quite serious leaks I never managed to plug- barely got 50% of the trade going in the right direction at Aden, ludicrous competition in that region. I also never got trade flowing out of China and into Malacca, that probably cost me three or four hundred ducats right there.

How'd you get so much trade steering and mercantilism?

Also, where exactly is the "trade steering" value used? I thought that's what the value increases by when you steer trade with merchants, but apparently that's just 20%-45% depending on how many merchants are steering...

It is used to calculate how much you can pull forward in a node with a merchant.

Edit: Sorry, double post, should have combined these two

I am currently 3 times over my naval force limit and it's fine :D

With Mercantilism do not make the same mistake I did - don't go over 30% or you will loose +30% income triggered modifier.

Hello, I have 5 merchants at the moment and I'm wondering if it's possible to steer without placing merchants? I have a complete monopoly on the Caribbean and I dominate the Seville trade node, would it be good to place a merchant in Brazil steer to Ivory -> Caribbean -> Chesapeake -> French place with Iberian North.
You don't have to use merchant if there is only one outgoing direction but you won't have the bonus then.

yes protecting trade with light ships gives you tradition. i'd imagine if you have 10,000,000 light ships patrolling you'll be awesome sauce trader

Really? The tooltip for NT doesn't seem to take that into account (I have 48 light ships patrolling the Caribbean and I'm still losing 5% of my tradition yearly)

It is used to calculate how much you can pull forward in a node with a merchant.

What exactly does this mean? Does it give you more trade power but only when you're steering and not collecting?

What exactly does this mean? Does it give you more trade power but only when you're steering and not collecting?
No, this modifier is applied to your trade power when game decides in which direction will trade be steered, but it doesn't affect for example how much of the trade will leave the node.

Would it be possible to do something like this in multiplayer?
Actually if people would be cooperating I think that even more is possible...

No, this modifier is applied to your trade power when game decides in which direction will trade be steered, but it doesn't affect for example how much of the trade will leave the node.

So the non-steering-modified trade power in a node determines how much of the value will leave the node, and the steering-modified values of TP of the countries who want to steer will determine how much of the leaving value goes in each direction?

Small update just when you though it's ridiculous enough :D

I still have only 1446 trade ships :) Limit is 1654/554

I'll tell you this: Key to insane trade income is using other countries trade power to your advantage :)

Can you please expound on this point?
East Indian Trade route triggered modifier which give +20% income requires among other things your mercantilism to be below 30%

So the non-steering-modified trade power in a node determines how much of the value will leave the node, and the steering-modified values of TP of the countries who want to steer will determine how much of the leaving value goes in each direction?
Correct