• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You could always use the image link, but I realize that's not what you ask for:

Code:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/styles/paradox/owneditems/avatars/ftg/l/shield_kol.png
That link also isn't always named in a way which lets you know what it actually is.

Having several alerts in my mailbox I wonder about something from the old forum. There was an option to not receive an email for every new post in a watched thread but to get something like a daily digest or even only 1 email per week or forthnight. Is there something like that in the new forum?

Woops, my bad. Turns out the default XenForo favicon only shows on mobile devices (in my case, an iPhone or iPad). In desktop browsers it seems to be fine.

That's odd as they don't use Flash at all, it's pure HTML. Not sure what could be causing it tbh as I've never experienced it on my own.

That's odd as they don't use Flash at all, it's pure HTML. Not sure what could be causing it tbh as I've never experienced it on my own.

I wonder ... Tries to turn off Flash, and they works ...
Are you sure that it might not be that they use Flash if Flash is available, and pure HTML otherwise?
Since my theory now is that Firefox tries to use Flash to display them, sees a bug in Flash, blocks Flash, and show an error instead of using the HTML version.
Anyway, looks like it's more of a Firefox issue then. Thanks for assisting me in figuring it out.

As I said the fora constantly request flash to run when in threads---due to the uploader as far as I'm aware. If he noticed while being in a thread then that's the reason. If he was out of a thread then it might still be connected to the uploader somehow.

sees a bug in Flash, blocks Flash
Firefox has been blocking flash from running in all situations by default for many years.

Anyway, looks like it's more of a Firefox issue then.
It's not a firefox issue---unless no other browser blocks flash by default.

I had it turned on, since there was still a need for Flash when they first turned it off.
Why not just temporarily turn it on the places which really need it?

I think it would be a good idea if the ratings for posts were not anonymous. Right now "Agree" and "Respectfully Disagree" get mostly used as up/down votes. With "agree" it's not so much of a problem but often you'll see someone's post get a "Respectfully Disagree" or two and then no actual responses to it explaining the counter-point.

I think discussion would flow more naturally if these ratings were not anonymous - that way when someone hits "Respectfully Disagree" they'll be more inclined to explain why they disagree in a reply post, instead of just bombing the OP.

Being on the receiving end of the current system can feel quite passive-aggressive at times.

Personally, I'd also drop the "Respectfully" from "Disagree" as I was raised to interpret that as an insult but I appreciate that sentiment may not translate outside of my part of England.

I think it would be a good idea if the ratings for posts were not anonymous. Right now "Agree" and "Respectfully Disagree" get mostly used as up/down votes. With "agree" it's not so much of a problem but often you'll see someone's post get a "Respectfully Disagree" or two and then no actual responses to it explaining the counter-point.

I think discussion would flow more naturally if these ratings were not anonymous - that way when someone hits "Respectfully Disagree" they'll be more inclined to explain why they disagree in a reply post, instead of just bombing the OP.

Being on the receiving end of the current system can feel quite passive-aggressive at times.

Personally, I'd also drop the "Respectfully" from "Disagree" as I was raised to interpret that as an insult but I appreciate that sentiment may not translate outside of my part of England.

Hah, I just came here to argue the complete opposite. It used to be like this by the way, in both ways you're suggesting- there was a list of everyone who rated a post at the bottom, and it didn't say respectfully.

Anyway, yeah, I think it should be totally anonymous- i.e. please remove the "ratings received" section in the quick access thing, and ratings from users' profile pages. I've seen (and been the recipient of, a couple of times) a whole bunch of times someone counter-downvoting someone else just out of anger, and "why did you downvote me??" accusations aren't infrequent. I think being able to see that stuff cements grudges and takes away people's willingness to disagree with some people, and adds pretty much nothing.

For that matter, I can't be the only person who impulsively checks their ratings received section every time they make a mildly contentious post right? I should probably just restrain myself from doing that out of my own willpower, but it'd be nice to not be given the option in the first place. :p

They are not anonymous as you can see who disagreed with you in "Rating received".

Being disrespectful would be against the forum rules, regardless of your personal upbringing.

Anyway, yeah, I think it should be totally anonymous- i.e. please remove the "ratings received" section in the quick access thing, and ratings from users' profile pages. I've seen (and been the recipient of, a couple of times) a whole bunch of times someone counter-downvoting someone else just out of anger, and "why did you downvote me??" accusations aren't infrequent. I think being able to see that stuff cements grudges and takes away people's willingness to disagree with some people, and adds pretty much nothing.

For that matter, I can't be the only person who impulsively checks their ratings received section every time they make a mildly contentious post right? I should probably just restrain myself from doing that out of my own willpower, but it'd be nice to not be given the option in the first place. :p
First of all, it isn't a vote, or at least that isn't how I interpret it. I see the ratings as a way to show that I agree or disagree with the entirety of a particular post, and thus if someone doesn't understand why I disagree or agree, which has happened, I intervene and make as post about it, explaining why I didn't comment in the first place. Sometimes I have used the "Agree" rating to show that I appreciate a particular effort too, or a "Thank you", but I always agreed on the content of the post.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm stupid for suggesting this, but how about a mobile app for the forum. I think it's too clumped up together on the mobile version of chrome in my opinion.

They are not anonymous as you can see who disagreed with you in "Rating received".

I cannot find this function.

Being disrespectful would be against the forum rules, regardless of your personal upbringing.

Certainly, In the South of England if someone begins with "Respectfully, I disagree..." they are insulting you. Claiming to be respectful in this way is a way of showing a lack of genuine respect.

For example, "Respectfully, I think that is idiotic."

See? An insult, dressed up as not being insulting. On the other hand, disagreeing in an of itself is not considered insulting and so there is no reason to preface a dissagreement with "Respectfully", you just choose your words carefully.

So, the way it is on the PDX forums automatically puts my teeth on edge.

Certainly, In the South of England if someone begins with "Respectfully, I disagree..." they are insulting you. Claiming to be respectful in this way is a way of showing a lack of genuine respect.

For example, "Respectfully, I think that is idiotic."

See? An insult, dressed up as not being insulting. On the other hand, disagreeing in an of itself is not considered insulting and so there is no reason to preface a dissagreement with "Respectfully", you just choose your words carefully.

So, the way it is on the PDX forums automatically puts my teeth on edge.
The funny thing is that it actually was changed to respectfully disagree to not be perceived as insulting/aggressive.:p

New here but i don't like it when internet is always full of anger and disagreeiment. BIG RED X FEELS LIKE A BIG ++++ YOU. It was in my opinion could be YELLOW OR ORANGE X. I feel like I can not even click disagree because it is so red.

There is only one thing we really need:

A return to standardized rules on who gets a custom avatar, and what avatars are acceptable within those rules. Everything else is accessory, this is essential. It is the life-blood of the forum.