• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah, I saw it in another thread that there's actually a way to become Norse, I will also surely try Norse Norway in one of my future runs. I also really want to do a Novgorod run in near future. Outside of Europe, I want to try out Korea and either Morocco or Jolof, too.
With Poland, I'll go with the historical route, unite with Lithuania, become the Commonwealth and expand eastwards. I'll most likely still PU Bohemia and Hungary, but I won't integrate them. If I'll inherit them, when my ruler dies, I'll just release them as vassals.
I saw campaign Novogrod in the youtube. It is another must for me. Now with new governments reforms there is a lot new style of gamestyle. In the future I plan Decentralization route with Austria and finish their missions. I dont have achievement.

QING CAMPAIGN:

This was a really fun campaign, the playstyle change from Jianzhou to Manchu and Manchu to Qing was really fun. The early expansion on manchuria and korea was pretty chill. Then Ming decided I needed to be cut down in size, and from 1500-1600 they launched like three or four wars where forced me to return cores to korea or release one of the manchurian OPMs. Then, they'd stop guaranteeing them and I'd swoop in and retake what was mine by right. And then ming would come back and flood Manchuria with their 120k soldiers. And the cycle began again.

I took exploration early on to colonize Siberia, but eventually I decided it would be fun for rp purposes to take Alaska as well. And later, the Filipines too. By 1700, the Mamlukean colonists on australia and the local tribes had been fighting on and off wars for 100 years, turning it into a bloody bordergore mess. So, I swooped in and turned it into neat yellow Qing australia. Which was sunni.

After Mingspolsion, my job became so much easy! I almost didn't fight any battle in the first wars that gave me all the coastline. Then came the Shun, and as I consolidated the coast and south, they assimilated all of Oirat and the other minor chinese realms. However, they were a bit of a paper tiger, and they were easily defeated by a coordinated offensive with Uzbek. Then I noticed that Japan (which had twice been "defeated" by Ryuku, forcing Ashikaga to release some vassals), was divided by Ashikaga Japan and Hosokawa. So I allied Hosokawa and conquered Ashikaga. Then I vassalized Ryuku- who I never integrated out of emotional attachement :p, and stabbed Hosowaka in the back, finishing my conquest of Japan.

After that, came the last two difficult wars. First for Tibet against Bengal-Blob, and after that the Ayutthayan's, who ruled all of the Indochinese peninsula and some of south china. The most difficult part was keeping track of all my and their troops. Once in a while I would forget one of my stacks or loose one of their deathstacks from my radar and I would get a nasty defeat.

After that it was mostly smooth sailing. I expanded westwards, conquering much of Afghanistan, Transoxiana and Russia. For Russia, I allied Lithuania and Ajam (who did supprisingly well!). By this point wars were quite a slog, taking lots of time to siege down the myriad of eight level forts Russia built all over the place. But anyways, by the end I had the most powerful army by 300k, and everyone wanted to be my good friends.

Oh and when conquering Mamlukean Australia I sent one stack to occupy egypt. And I ended up conquering it for the fun of a Confucian, Manchu Qing Egypt!

edS55B9.png

UrqTfRJ.png

Interesting Facts: Maya formed without my intervention, and managed to fend off the Portugueseattacks.
Genoa, Venice and Austria allied to attack the Ottomans early when they were at war with the Mamluks. The result was what can be seen: Genoese, protestant Anatolia and Polish (it was a liberated Bulgaria, but it didn't last long) balkan empire.
Cuba was once Portuguese Caraibas. Declared independence about 1700 and proceeded to terrorize the spanish and english colonies.
The revolution never spawned =(

• 2Like
Reactions:
I saw campaign Novogrod in the youtube. It is another must for me. Now with new governments reforms there is a lot new style of gamestyle. In the future I plan Decentralization route with Austria and finish their missions. I dont have achievement.
I'm hoping that they add Hofburg Palace as a monument in the future, so I have yet to play as Austria. I think it would also be interesting to play as some minor in the HRE and become the Holy Roman Emperor.

My 46h EUIV run: Adal.

After an intense Swedish campaign, I wanted to do a more relaxing run.

While Adal has been buffed in the recent patches by increasing its development and now in 1.34 by adding the new monument, Ethiopia is still superior to it and is very hard to invade due to its mountainous terrain. It took me multiple attempts to succeed. I only took 3 provinces in my 1st war. I was actually quite lucky with my estate agenda, it gave me claims on their Shenwa region and I got 50 admin points by taking it.
Next I planned to grow some power base by conquering the nearby Somali states, I was allied with Marehan. I started with Ogaadeen and then Warsangali. In the meantime, my ally Marehan had attacked Ajuuraan, while it had been devastated by Kilwa, but they failed. While besieging their capital, Ajuuraan rebuilt its army and annexed them instead. To prevent Ajuuraan from growing too strong, I allied with Kilwa and put an end to their expansion. They had actually allied my main rival Ethiopia, but they betrayed them.
Now that most of Somalia had been secured, I could turn my attention back to Ethiopia. It was a walkover. Ethiopia was plunged in a very nasty peasant war with half of their provinces occupied. Their neighbours even started to exploit the situation and attacked them.
All of sudden Kilwa rivaled me. Well, no problem, I had the Ottomans as an ally. We fought some wars against the Mamluks. I actually slowed down their expansion a lot by declaring wars on the Mamluks as soon as I could, to not let them take any land, while I took $$$ and carved out vassals out of them. It was all good, until the sudden -200 relation penalty, because the Ottomans desired my land. They broke the alliance immediately and later on rivaled me. What else could I do than to secure an alliance with a huge Commonwealth and punish them for this? I think I overdid it and during the Age of Revolutions the Commonwealth went completely crazy and expanded in every single direction and obviously rivaled me. I left them be. At least I still had the highest score and I was able to become an economical hegemon.

01. Adal Empire.png

02. World map.png

03. Score.png

04. Adal Empire.png

My vassals: Mombasa, Darfur, Beja, Mamluks, Najd, Oman.
My allies: Venice, Delhi.

• 6Like
Reactions:
1.34 Teutonic Order is hilariously overpowered - in part from their special mechanics, and in part from the new theocracy government reforms. (There are some truly amazing synergies. For example, the tier 3 "Education of a Theocrat" tier 3 reform is amazing: +1 monarch skill is usually a late-game finisher, and this is even more than that!)

To be honest, the only reason I continued after ~1650 was because of the 3 relatively-easy achievements (100% mercantilism, Baltic Crusader, Holy Horder).

20220923194635_1.jpg

(Georgia/Sakartvelo, Moldavia, Byzantium and Sweden are my marches. Portugal and the Pope are my allies; Czechy and Austria were early allies who have since fallen away - Czechy insta-rivalled me from 100 trust; Austria was PUd by Castille/Spain. I'm keeping the Ottomans as a very angry pet.)

Notable ridiculousness: 5k profit per month & overpowered armies.
20220923194813_1.jpg20220923194847_1.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions:
My EU4 Campaign #8: Poland -> Commonwealth (vanilla).

The "Lions of the North" DLC was most likely the very first DLC I was very hyped for. Especially I was hyped for the Polish mission tree, created by a former modder, one of the best mission tree creators - Big Boss. Poland is also my beloved homeland, so this was an additional reason to try it. And so, after the immersion pack was released, I purchased the DLC and started my Polish gameplay...

My initial step was to rival both Bohemia and Hungary. This allowed me to gain the personal union CB on both countries once I completed the very first mission. I quickly enforced the PU's by using my CB, but I did this a bit too fast and a coalition formed. Luckily, the coalition never attacked, and I managed to dismantle it by diplomacy. In the meanwhile, the in-game events gave me Lithuania as another PU and Moldavia as a march.

Around 1460, the Prussian Confederation event happened, and I got another vassal - Danzig, consisting of most of the former Teutonic lands. After that, I could start expanding, mostly into the Balkans and Russia.

A few decades later, I finally reached admin tech level 10 and formed the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. This unlocked a bunch of new missions to me, and one of them granted me another personal union - Sweden.

One of the biggest challenges in this campaign was balancing the Szlachta. Initially, I kept them loyal by enacting new privileges, namely the Nieszawa Privileges and the Pacta Conventa. But, once the Age of Absolutism started, the Struggle for Royal Power disaster fired. I was able to defeat the magnates and ultimately end the period of Szlachta Golden Liberty, canceling the nobility privileges and turning Poland into an absolute monarchy.

Overall, this was another fun campaign, with an amazing mission tree added by the Lions of the North DLC. I liked the challenge of balancing the Szlachta, mission rewards giving a few PU opportunities, developing the Breadbasket of Europe, and the Winged Hussars special unit. And I'm pretty sure I will also try other mission trees from the "Lions of the North" immersion pack...

My subjects were: Bohemia, Hungary and Sweden as personal unions, as well as Donauwörth as a vassal.
My ally was the Papal States.

58b.png

58c.png

58d.png

• 5Like
Reactions:
20220927201325_1.jpg
This run is shaping up to be a beast already. I've been long waiting to play Poland, but when it became apparent that the new DLC will touch up on them I postponed to wait for the new content. I'm 24 years in, I rejected the union over Lithuania and joined the HRE. Best CB-d Byzantium to kneecap the Ottomans, and in the ensuing defensive war I returned some of their cores to them to weaken them further. It was during this war that the most unexpected twist of the run happened: Austria died early, and guess who the Germans in their infinite wisdom chose to elect as Emperor? That's right, me. I just fought a a war against my only valid rival at this point, France, using the Imperial Ban CB to make him cancel his vassals but strategically kept the CB to further dismember him as the truces will allow. Bohemia and Hungary are loyal PUs from the mission tree which I enforced through war, and by using the previously accumulated IA judiciously I managed to avoid a coalition ever forming. I am also poised to get the Burgundian Inheritance, and since I am achievement hunting and need to take this game to the end so that Poland can into space, I guess the unofficial goal of this run will also be a world conquest just so that I don't get bored.

• 1Like
Reactions:
View attachment 882211This run is shaping up to be a beast already. I've been long waiting to play Poland, but when it became apparent that the new DLC will touch up on them I postponed to wait for the new content. I'm 24 years in, I rejected the union over Lithuania and joined the HRE. Best CB-d Byzantium to kneecap the Ottomans, and in the ensuing defensive war I returned some of their cores to them to weaken them further. It was during this war that the most unexpected twist of the run happened: Austria died early, and guess who the Germans in their infinite wisdom chose to elect as Emperor? That's right, me. I just fought a a war against my only valid rival at this point, France, using the Imperial Ban CB to make him cancel his vassals but strategically kept the CB to further dismember him as the truces will allow. Bohemia and Hungary are loyal PUs from the mission tree which I enforced through war, and by using the previously accumulated IA judiciously I managed to avoid a coalition ever forming. I am also poised to get the Burgundian Inheritance, and since I am achievement hunting and need to take this game to the end so that Poland can into space, I guess the unofficial goal of this run will also be a world conquest just so that I don't get bored.
So, it looks like you went a different way than me. I accepted the Lithuanian PU, did not join the HRE, and ultimately dismantled it. I'm curious how you will play further!

So, it looks like you went a different way than me. I accepted the Lithuanian PU, did not join the HRE, and ultimately dismantled it. I'm curious how you will play further!
So far I started eating into Lithuania, conquered Livonia, bakanized France one more time, reconquered the Byzantine cores, and own through subjects (Byz, Albania, Hungary) all of the Balkans bar Bulgaria. Also Burgundy just died and I got the inheritance as expected. I'll update you in a PM sometime down the line, when I played a bit more.

After over 5300 hours of playtime on Steam, I finally completed my first ever full campaign to 1821: Russia!

This was also my first campaign into the Age of Revolutions - I almost always play modded and outside of the game's usual timeframe. This was also the first campaign where I really started hunting for achievements if they were within reach - even if a few of them weren't necessarily fitting for Russia.

I started as Muscovy, initially just with the goal of forming Russia, with a bonus goal of getting Relentless Push East. The 1400s where characterized by typical early-game expansion - conquering Novgorod, integrating vassals, and biting into the steppe hordes. Sweden broke free from Denmark and were thus easily subdued, and the Livonians were also mostly on their own, making for more easy conquest. I allied Bohemia early on, with the hopes of allying the Ottomans as well, though they were initially resistant to the idea. This steady conquest was interrupted, though, when Poland suddenly declared war on me in 1478, with significantly more men at their disposal. However, over the course of an 8-year long war of attrition - and with the help of plenty of loans and mercenaries - I managed to save them off, and even took some land from Lithuania! It was after this war with Poland that I was finally able to ally the Ottomans. It was also around this time that I snuck in to vassalize Circassia before the Ottomans could snatch them up - which will be important later.

With an Ottoman alliance at my disposal, I easily and regularly beat up on Poland - and later the Commonwealth - throughout the 1500s, and finally formed Russia in 1520. I also continued pushing into Scandinavia; Denmark had already integrated Norway by this point, but I released them as a vassal and reconquered the rest of their land for them, including Iceland. By the end of the 16th century, Scandinavia was completely under Russian control. It was also during this period, sometime in the 1530s, when I obtained a surprise personal union over my steadfast ally of Bohemia. But above all else, I still wanted to earn Relentless Push East, so I pushed through Uzbek - and immediately ran into a mega-Ming completely surrounded by tributaries. Any wars would be too distant for the Ottomans to join, so without much hope of defeating Ming, I resigned myself to pushing eastwards through frontiers alone. Ming did eventually split in two, with Shun taking the northern lands, though it was far too late to be useful for my push to the Pacific. It was very close, but I conquered the Siberian tribes by 1590, and placed my last frontier in 1596, earning me the achievement. Just before this, though, in 1594, tragedy struck - I finally annexed my vassal of Circassia, which suddenly triggered the Ottomans to desire a bunch of my land, dropping their opinion to -200 and immediately breaking their alliance with me.

Going into the 1600s without any strong allies, I quickly went to work finding some, and ended up alongside Venice and the Timurids, who both hated the Ottomans, as well as snagging Great Britain slightly later on. And it was with their help that I fought and defeated the Ottomans twice during the century - taking Crimea in 1635, and Istanbul in 1654. Expansion was scattered all throughout Eurasia during the 1600s: I saw my first expansion into China with several wars against Shun, Ming, and even Japan, who by this point owned a significant portion of Manchuria. I also finished cleaning up the Commonwealth, taking their last province in 1672. Norway, who by this point had colonized a whole 7 provinces in sub-Saharan Africa, was annexed in the early 1680s, and I decided to expand their colonies with a war against Kongo in 1690.

The 1700s were much more methodical - most of the period was spent ping-ponging back and forth between China and eastern Europe, cycling between taking bites out of the Ottomans and out of Ming. Japan was pushed out of Manchuria, and I also took advantage of the Age of Revolutions to get some easy wars - France went Revolutionary and broke their alliance with Korea, which let me easily take them out in a couple of wars, and Ragusa went Revolutionary and broke their alliance with Spain, which let me easily take them and make the borders look prettier. The Ottomans were completely pushed out of Europe in 1766, and both Manchuria and Korea were completely under Russian control by 1790.

By the dawn of the 19th century, I'd mostly achieved everything I'd wanted and more, but it occurred to me I could try to dismantle the HRE. I'd never done this before, and I didn't properly plan it out, so it was rather messy. Regardless, over 7 separate wars from 1798 to 1808, with a total of 3.5 million casualties between them, I successfully dismantled the HRE - and took several vassals in Germany in the process! The last 12 years were spent cleaning things up a bit - I cleaned up a bit in Eastern Europe, trying to get a nicer border, and I finished conquering all of Anatolia from the Ottomans. I also took Rome, in the hopes of getting the Redecorating achievement, but I forgot that you can't culture convert provinces that have separatism, so that one will have to wait for another day.

In the end, this is the final state of the Russian Empire:

Russia 1.png

Diplomatic mapmode, showing off Europe:

Russia 4.png

And the achievements I got! 26 of them in total:

Russia 2.png

Last edited:
  • 8Like
Reactions:
Just before this, though, in 1594, tragedy struck - I finally annexed my vassal of Circassia, which suddenly triggered the Ottomans to desire a bunch of my land, dropping their opinion to -200 and immediately breaking their alliance with me.
If you build your trust with an ally to 80 or higher, it will almost always prevent the alliance to break. Above 80 trust, the AI will remove all vital interests from your territory, regardless of permanent claims.

• 2Like
Reactions:
If you build your trust with an ally to 80 or higher, it will almost always prevent the alliance to break. Above 80 trust, the AI will remove all vital interests from your territory, regardless of permanent claims.
This certainly used to be true, but I think the behaviour has changed in 1.34.

I've lost several 100-trust allies in very similar circumstances to OP (conquer some land, ally breaks alliance immediately). But the 1.34 behaviour is definitely better than 1.33 (where the desire for subject's land was seemingly not affected by trust, meaning it was near-impossible for two colonisers to ally).

My best guess at what's happening in 1.34 is that the desire for your land (and setting provinces of vital interest) is only updated infrequently (eg. once per year), so the ally breaks the alliance before the game updates their desires. Alternatively: the conquest pushes your ally's opinion of you below zero, they go hostile, and the alliance breaks shortly thereafter.

This certainly used to be true, but I think the behaviour has changed in 1.34.

I've lost several 100-trust allies in very similar circumstances to OP (conquer some land, ally breaks alliance immediately). But the 1.34 behaviour is definitely better than 1.33 (where the desire for subject's land was seemingly not affected by trust, meaning it was near-impossible for two colonisers to ally).

My best guess at what's happening in 1.34 is that the desire for your land (and setting provinces of vital interest) is only updated infrequently (eg. once per year), so the ally breaks the alliance before the game updates their desires. Alternatively: the conquest pushes your ally's opinion of you below zero, they go hostile, and the alliance breaks shortly thereafter.
That sounds no different to the way AI checks for coalitions have always worked, i.e. patchily. Sometimes you need to save and exit the game and return to the save, which usually triggers such calculations to occur.

Now in the correct thread:

My 47th EUIV run: Poland -> Commonwealth.

Poland, just like Sweden, is one of my favourite countries, so I couldn't wait to finally try it out, especially with it's new mission tree and winged hussars.

I obviously chose a Jagiellon for my throne and made a PU with Lithuania. It gave me a 100% loyal ally that I'll be able to integrate for free later on. Next I secured Moldavia, I succeeded on my 1st try. Just a few months later I invaded Wallachia to secure them as another march.
Now with my new subject help I had to secure PUs with Hungary and Bohemia. I chose to attack Hungary 1st. While they were allied with Austria, they weren't part of the HRE, so Austria couldn't call in its allies, most notably Castile. It was a tough fight, but we won, I made Austria cancel most of its alliances and pay me a lot of $$$, while immediately preparing for the war with Bohemia. In the meantime, Bohemia had made an alliance with the Ottomans. Something much scarier than Austria, but the Ottomans were busy in a war against Albania and Venice. It was a very big gamble, I rushed to kick Austria out of the war, so that they don't rebuild their army, otherwise I would be doomed. After dealing with Austria, I went to relieve my besieged forts and rushed for Constantinople, in my hopes that I can get the Ottomans out of the war, while they're still distracted by their other war. I succeeded and was able to ask for war reparations. Now it was just a matter of time until I force my PU on Bohemia. I never intended to integrate these PUs (except for Silesia). I just wanted to secure my hegemony over Eastern Europe and stop the Ottomans and Austria from growing too strong by blocking their expansion paths.

Now I had to take a pause for a few years, until my manpower replenishes. I had 0 manpower by the time I dealt with the Ottomans, so it took some time. After that, around 1465, the Danzig federation rebelled, just when the Teutonic army got wiped out in the Swedish independence war. I chose the historical outcome and made Royal Prussia as a vassal. By that time I had already integrated Mazovia, so I had a free diplo slot.
Now I just had to wait until I could integrate Lithuania. In the meantime, I made sure that Muscovy doesn't annex Perm and Kazan and doesn't start colonising Siberia. I also fought some wars against the Ottomans, I made them release countries and waited for the Mamluks to strike, but for some reason, they never attacked them like they usually do.
After finally forming the Commonwealth, I still couldn't expand, because I was very close to go over my gov capacity, as you know, it's very dangerous now, because of the administrative efficiency malus. I had to wait for tech advances and L'Etat c'est moi government reform.
When the Age of Absolutism came, it got a bit problematic with getting rid of the Golden liberties privilege, so that I could trigger a disaster and get rid of the Polish elective monarchy that destroys my absolutism. It took years of infighting, but it was worth it as the Polish Autocratic Monarchy is very powerful. As are the missions that come after you get it, an extra golden age, a chance to get another development point, when you dev up your provinces, when you become an economical hegemon? That's insanely strong!

01. Polish-Lithuanian-Ruthenian Commonwealth.png

02. World map.png
03. Score.png
04. Polish-Lithuanian-Ruthenian Commonwealth.png

My vassals/marches: Bohemia, Brandenburg, Novgorod, Rostov, Wallachia, Bulgaria, Byzantium.
My PUs: Sweden, Hungary.

Qara Qoyunlu, Kazan and Moghuls have migrated.
The Iberian Wedding didn't trigger and Castile got eaten up by Portugal and Aragon. Aragon also has some colonies.
Westphalia got formed by Mainz.

• 2Like
Reactions:
eu4_map_PLC_1565_06_29_1.png

Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, 1565
Religion: Catholic
Allies: France, Spain, Sweden
Vassals: Novgorod, Hungary
Idea Groups: Aristocratic, Humanist, Espionage, Innovative
DLC: All

It's 1565, and the league war (AUSTRIA, Spain, minors vs. BRANDENBURG, England, Ottomans, Sweden, Portugal, France, minors) is going terribly for the Catholics for obvious reasons. Most of Austria is occupied, mostly by Brandenburg and Ottomans, and the only member of the Catholic League that is doing well is Spain, which occupied all of mainland Portugal and southeastern France. I'm neutral, as I want to keep my allies and avoid fighting the Ottomans.

I used to be allied to Austria, but after I gave Novgorod back to Novgorod (they were in the northeastern corner of Russia, in a 3 dev province) they broke it because of desire for Novgorod. Why would they want Novgorod? It didn't show on the diplo-feedback screen.

Questions are welcome!

• 2Like
Reactions:
This may not be as impressive for some of you more experienced players, but I'm still proud of it as this is one of my most successful runs to date.

Tried out Denmark with the Lions of the North expansion with the aim of getting the three Denmark-related achievements (Brick by Brick, The Iron Price, Østindisk Kompagni Te). Integrating Sweden took some time after the Stockholm Bloodbath, but I used the meantime to deal with Novgorod (this way Russia never formed) and also invade the British Isles for the Iron Price achievement.

20221002130255_1.jpg

For Østindisk Kompagni Te I started colony hopping through Africa to colonize Taiwan, then invaded some land in China and Japan. After completing this as well, I decided to go for the Rising Sun achievement which led to a fairly big colonial empire in the Far East, and also a bunch of money from trade. With this nice economic situation, I am currently working on some other late-game achievements (Wonderful, A Grand Armada, Global Hegemon).

20221002130316_1.jpg

All in all, this has been a very enjoyable run for me and I also learned a lot from it about some mechanics that I didn't use that well earlier (for example, this was the first time I was able to make a lot of money from trade).

• 15Like
Reactions:
K-048.jpg

After acquiring land in Ethiopia with tenacity,
Converted after bringing in Judaism fanatics
"Innovative Judaism Turkish Republic Byzantium".
Very satisfied...
I'll set your eyes on fire. ha ha ha!

Jewish and republicanism went very well together.
You get +5 government resources. I had a rare experience full of republican points.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions: