Post your computer specs here and we will tell you if it meets the required specs!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just going a little off topic here - but not too much - is there some kind of asset that demands more from the CPU? For example, vehicles or growables demand more RAM than plottables, or it really doesn't matter?
This is a Yes or No answer..
The answer would be Yes there is plenty on the workshop that is way to big for this game.

Just going a little off topic here - but not too much

Maybe a lot off topic, but not complicated to answer

is there some kind of asset that demands more from the CPU? For example, vehicles or growables demand more RAM than plottables, or it really doesn't matter?

Assets are more of a memory hog, than a CPU hog. So, a tiny vehicle will use less memory as there is less to process than a large skyscraper.

Reactions:
Hi all,
Quick question regarding a potential upgrade.

Have a computer thats 4 years old, specs below:
ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600K CPU @ 3.80GHz (running at 4.2-4.5)
Video CardNVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Operating SystemWindows 10
RAM16 GB

It still handles new games just fine, and I can live without 4k for a few years.
Considering a small upgrade, and doubling the memory seems the most obvious choice, only downside is that SC is likely the only game that will benefit from this.
I have all the DLCs and a few content creator packs, and I like Big Assets I can not lie.
So, question is, how much of an impact will that extra RAM have on SC? Am I mistaken in believing it will only impact city loading times?

The game can handle 4-core/8-thread CPUs, but you only have a 4-core/4-thread CPU. The best CPU you can get is 4-core/8-thread CPU for your motherboard, like any i7 CPU. But your current CPU should get your city to vanilla 9-tiles full.

16GB is fine for vanilla game and all DLC. But workshop may become an issue, but you can manage some memory through your Windows page file.

Steam Guide: Pagefile - Setup, Explanation, and Guide V2.1 by snowflitzer

But more RAM will be best. It will speed up loading times to an extent. but not much more.

Maybe post your issues and we can recommend some better advice.

Better ram and small ssd for windows and its page file will speed load times
Not more RAM
A board that runs an i5 should be able to run ram @ 2k Mhz + some, (but still check it)
SL likes it ram, if you got 1300 Mhz ish ram then a dual (matched pair) channel 2x 16 gig stick (just get some corsair, with pretty heat spreaders) is cheap upgrade
If you got 2x sticks already, then just replace. If its 1 stick then still consider a full replace, (for a pair)
If you dont have SSD, its a cheap and effective upgrade.

I personally dont use un matched RAM. Its criminal.
And run even number with i5, it matters less then it did in my day but every little helps

I have a Core i5-9400F, an Asus Prime B365M-A motherboard, 16GB of Kingston DDR4-2400 (4x4GB sticks), a GTX 1660 Super, an Asus VC239 1080P monitor, a Crucial CT500P1SSD8 NVME SSD as my main drive (and the one I would be running this game from) plus a fully up-to-date copy of Windows 10. Are these specs good enough for this game and its DLC and mods (specifically I am interested in messing with roads and highways and interchanges) or would I need to upgrade?

I have a Core i5-9400F, an Asus Prime B365M-A motherboard, 16GB of Kingston DDR4-2400 (4x4GB sticks), a GTX 1660 Super, an Asus VC239 1080P monitor, a Crucial CT500P1SSD8 NVME SSD as my main drive (and the one I would be running this game from) plus a fully up-to-date copy of Windows 10. Are these specs good enough for this game and its DLC and mods (specifically I am interested in messing with roads and highways and interchanges) or would I need to upgrade?
You have SSD, so good, we assume windows is on that yes??
your mobo model, cause not all mother boards are equal is ok. 2600 max on ram, meh but to be fair its going about as fast as that little i5 can handle anyway.
You could very "cheaply" drop in a second hand i7 off ebay in there and it would shock you.
DDR4?? Wow i love the industry lies, for one of my friends ive run DDR 3 at 2700. Decent ddr3 is better than average ddr4, but you board is full, and says it quad channel. So 4x8gig is the upgrade your looking for. Just make sure its max speed at least equals the 2600 max.
As for your video card, the other fellas can help more, im proper out of date with those

Yeah that will run SL. But as many of the posts above say, be careful off large assets/cpu hungry mods

The game seems to max out at 4-core/8-thread CPUs. You have a 6-core/6-thread CPU, so that is actually faster, as those extra threads are limited in what they can do and roughly give 25% boost per extra thread. So the extra two thread on your 6-core are full cores, so you will get 200% boost over 4-core/8-thread CPUs. So your CPU is fine.

Also, your 9400F likes DDR4-2666 memory, but I'm sure you won't see much difference. But if you ever upgrade RAM, make sure they are DDR-2666 or higher.

Since you only have a 500GB SSD, I'd recommend putting only windows on your SSD, and everything else on your second drive (if you have a second drive) as windows processes everything and needs the fastest drive possible. and 500GB will fill up quickly if you aren't paying close attention. Plus once the games are loaded, they use the drive they are installed on very little while playing.

But what you have should handle the game just fine, with a little workshop on top of it if you want. Just don't go crazy.

If someone sees this and thinks overkill on some things, well, when working I run multiple development VMs for mobile apps, etc. on this machine. Really, I just got a decent GPU to add to what I was already building at the time. If I was building it now, I'd have something higher, but it's working fine for now.
(NOT a purpose-built 'gaming rig'...just a dev machine with a better GPU.)

CPU: i7-10700 8-core, 16 thread
32 GB RAM (1463 MHz)
512 GB SSD (for Windows only) (Win 10 x64)
2 TB HD for games and work stuff
Nvidia 1650 Super 4GB GPU
2x24" monitors, can run 3840x2160, but I usually don't. My old eyes are happier at 1920x1080.

I can load a fair amount of assets and still have RAM left. 16GB, I would run over.

If someone sees this and thinks overkill on some things, well, when working I run multiple development VMs for mobile apps, etc. on this machine. Really, I just got a decent GPU to add to what I was already building at the time. If I was building it now, I'd have something higher, but it's working fine for now.

32 GB RAM (1463 MHz)
2x24" monitors, can run 3840x2160, but I usually don't. My old eyes are happier at 1920x1080.

I can load a fair amount of assets and still have RAM left. 16GB, I would run over.
Overkill? looks more like a regular build.

32 GB RAM (1463 MHz)

it will run it. quite well
but your sub 2k Mhz ram is a proper bottle neck.

it will run it. quite well
but your sub 2k Mhz ram is a proper bottle neck.

The 32 GB RAM (1463 MHz) is likely reporting base speed memory. DDR means double data rate, so you double the speed. likely 3,000MHz or 2,966MHz.

Here's my specs: I'm hoping CS:2 will run okay on it.

Operating System: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
BIOS: F11 (type: UEFI)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor (12 CPUs), ~3.8GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM DDR-4 3200 Mhz
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
Dedicated Memory: 5958 MB
(Realtek(R) Audio)

Here's my specs: I'm hoping CS:2 will run okay on it.

Operating System: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
BIOS: F11 (type: UEFI)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor (12 CPUs), ~3.8GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM DDR-4 3200 Mhz
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
Dedicated Memory: 5958 MB
(Realtek(R) Audio)

That looks fine. You may need to upgrade the CPU over time as CS2 will likely use 8-core processor (16CPUs) eventually.

The Consoles are using 8-core processors (16 CPUs), and the PC will usually use even more over time.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm guessing to play Cities Skylines 2 heavily modded in the future we're gonna need more than 32gb, since you can almost reach that in CS1? Sure, it will be a while before CS2 reaches that point but I will definitely be using every mod and asset that gets created lol.