• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Please add the famous and ancient city of Troy on the map. At the very least as a building on the map or something.

Its right there... Why do you think the famous epic is called the Iliás?
troy1.png

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
There is nothing there.

Ilion is there, thats Troy. The Iliás is named after Ilion, which is Troy. The 'famous and ancient city of Troy' is underneath it, under a few hundred years of habitation, there's nothing to see there but the current Ilion, which itself would be buried under another layer of habitation by the time it finally gets abanadoned.

EDIT: You can disagree all you want, that doesn't magically make the facts any different.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Homeric Troy was long buried by the time Imperator takes place. Samitte is correct in pointing out that Ilion is Troy, or at least the Hellenistic-era settlement built on top of Troy.

Edit: @Riekopo, disagreeing with my post isn't going to change the historical facts. Homeric Troy didn't exist during the time frame of Imperator.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
I should add that Ilion isn't just some random name ascribed later, but is used in the text of the Iliad itself (from my recollection of undergrad Greek classes, I saw "Ilion" used far more than "Troy" while translating parts of the text).

The remnants of Troy, as Samitte says, are buried by current habitation at this point, the war upon which the text is based having been over half a millennium prior to game start, and Greece's so-called "Dark Age" lying in between then and game start. It. won't be exposed again until Schliemann blasts his way through them on his way to the layer he thought the Homeric Troy was (thus both making one of archaeology's greatest discoveries and committing one of its most heinous sins, all at once). That isn't to say it didn't have an effect on the landscape; it was one of many habitation layers that built up a tel, effectively a manmade hill of the detritus of centuries of settlement. You could add a local modifier to that, sure, but if you're going to do that you'd better add that to half the cities in Anatolia and the Levant.

The best I could offer would be the historically attested cult to Achilles centered there, so you could potentially plop down a holy site there.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
It. won't be exposed again until Schliemann blasts his way through them on his way to the layer he thought the Homeric Troy was (thus both making one of archaeology's greatest discoveries and committing one of its most heinous sins, all at once).

It hurts every time I read about it. Antiquarians and early 'archaeologists', oh the damage they caused, yet so many wonders they uncovered.

The best I could offer would be the historically attested cult to Achilles centered there, so you could potentially plop down a holy site there.

That is a good idea. I've suggested holy sites for Sarpedon and Perseus in another thread, would you mind if I added this to it?

Reactions:
the war upon which the text is based having been over half a century prior to game start, and Greece's so-called "Dark Age" lying in between then and game start.

A bit more than that.. I think the Trojan War is usually considered to have happened around 800 years before Imperator starts.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
That is a good idea. I've suggested holy sites for Sarpedon and Perseus in another thread, would you mind if I added this to it?

Go right ahead!

A bit more than that.. I think the Trojan War is usually considered to have happened around 800 years before Imperator starts.

Yeah 1200-1100 at the latest, so 800 years; I was being conservative in my estimate. It also should have said half a millennium; fixed now.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Yeah 1200-1100 at the latest, so 800 years; I was being conservative in my estimate. It also should have said half a millennium; fixed now.

Haha, sorry, yes, realized right after replying that was probably what you initially meant :)

You will be able to do that in the next update with Epirus. Though I do hope that when you complete the cult of Achilles part of the tree, Illion would be renamed to Achilleion.

Reactions:
We've come up with a possible modifier for Ilion/Troy.
Ilion: Crumbling Fortifications. Notably reduced fort defence, -15% or more. (Offseting the +10% from the Hellespont modifier)
Decision: Restore Trojan fortifications. Available to owners of Ilion. Replaces Crumbling Fortifications with lofty Ilium. (increased fort defence, POP happiness and loyalty)
Reason: During the Galatian Invasion, Ilion was easily sacked because it was protected only by the old iron-age city walls. The modifier would reflect this.
The decision is inspired by Augustus re-founding Troy (Ilium) and would be similar to the Restoring Thasos for Macedon or Laureion for Athens, except boosting Fort defence and POP attitude instead of production.
It should additionally have the Hellespont modifier like Sestos and Abydos.

Slightly off-topic, but with the upcoming culture changes in 1.5 perhaps the Mysia province should be renamed Troad or Troas while Mysia Abrettene be shortened to Mysia.
Then each culture in the area would have a province of the same name, although the borders wouldn't align. And a name referencig Troy would be on the map.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Where exactly was Abrettene? Most sources and maps don't mention it.

Its not entirely clear, but Abrettene roughly lay between ingame Adramyttion, Baris, Argiza, Pericharaxis, and Attea, and a bit further east + the top halves of Hiera and Poinai. Sort of the mountainous region north of modern day Balikesir.

Mysia proper lay south-east of there, roughly from Appolonia Mysias to Kadoi (though not all authors agree if Kadoi is Mysian or part of Phrygia Epiktetos). The ingame Mysia area consisting of a part of Troad in the west, and the region of Mygdonia or Mysia Inferior in the east around the lake.

Reactions:
Its not entirely clear, but Abrettene roughly lay between ingame Adramyttion, Baris, Argiza, Pericharaxis, and Attea, and a bit further east + the top halves of Hiera and Poinai. Sort of the mountainous region north of modern day Balikesir.

Mysia proper lay south-east of there, roughly from Appolonia Mysias to Kadoi (though not all authors agree if Kadoi is Mysian or part of Phrygia Epiktetos). The ingame Mysia area consisting of a part of Troad in the west, and the region of Mygdonia or Mysia Inferior in the east around the lake.
would you redraw the province borders in this area?

would you redraw the province borders in this area?

Of course, though compared to other areas I'd say its alright. I'd much rather see the very annoying major-river crossing areas adjusted (Especially a problem around the Danube, the mapmaker was just being super evil there!)

But the problem with redrawing borders in much of the map its not a few things that move, but they often impact a load of nearby areas and I have no instant solution for this because there are a few other areas nearby which I would like to redraw, which in turn has a cascading effect there. And its not a very high priority thing in the scope of I:R in my opinion.