• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh my good :eek:

Two days without an update.
I'm gonna die :wacko:

Nah, don't worry.
Take the time you need. :)

I will watching this AAR.
Very close, because it's brilliant!!! :)

Those plans for naval bases will indeed get the attention of the US and Great Britain, particularly if Japan is no longer bogged down in China. What the reaction will be, and how the Japanese react in turn, is a very good question indeed.

Steady progress in the South - February 1939

Steady progress in the South

It was still early and the sun was just rising in the East when Ishiwara Kanji crossed the small courtyard that separated the living quarters from the building where they had established the forward command post. Some soldiers worked on one of the big antennas on the left side of the courtyard and a truck was just unloaded at the small storehouse to the right. The air was cold, but dry and his breath condensed in front of him. It had gotten cold lately. He didn’t care too much though. He liked the cold better than the soggy heat of the summer. He could even see some hoarfrost on the windows.

He entered the building and went upstairs to the radio room. He hoped that he had gotten news from the southern part of the front. Two corps of the South and Central China armies were trying to encircle a Chinese army in the northern part of the Guangdong province. The sergeant in charge had already sorted the message out and gave it to him immediately. A good man, who knew what was important and what wasn’t. Perhaps he should be promoted. He would keep him in mind.

A quick glance over the message filled him with joy. The two corps had met and had been able to establish a pocket. General Higashikuni estimated that they had encircled about a dozen Chinese divisions. He walked over to the officer’s mess and asked for a tea while reading the message in detail. Apparently everything had worked out exactly as he had planned it. After eating a small bowl of rice and miso soup while reading a few more messages the sergeant had given him, he walked over to General Hata’s war room. The general was already there, talking to Lieutenant General Okamura and the recently promoted General Nishio. He bowed and greeted his superiors.

china6fg3.gif

Development of the Guangdong pocket​

“We have news from the Guangdong pocket, General Hata. It was a total success. We have encircled about a dozen Chinese divisions. Together with the units that we trapped along the Coast earlier, it will considerably weaken the Chinese in the South.”

“Excellent. We were just talking about the offense south of the Yellow River. We made some progress there too, not as spectacular as in the south, but we are slowly advancing along the river. And we talked about the latest proposal from the government about the plans in China. Did you already read the proposal?”

“Yes, yesterday evening. And I don’t need to say that I disagree with it.”

He had been against the war in China since it began in 1937. The Marco Polo Bridge incident had been a severe disappointment for him. While he had played a pivotal role in seizing Manchuria, he saw China as a bottomless pit that would bind way too many resources and troops to pacify. He would rather have sought some kind of agreement with Chiang. Manchuria was a necessity for Japanese interests as it supplied important raw materials and was an excellent buffer against Russia. But China would be to Japan what Spain had been to Napoleon: a never-ending nuisance and burden. The real enemy was not China. The real enemy was the United States and the rest of the Western nations. Sometime in the future, there would be a conflict between East and West, between Asia and America and Europe. That’s what they should plan and spend their resources on, not some futile campaign in China.

“No, your objections are well known. I am not too happy with it either. I am sure that bastard Long Yun will try to get more out of the deal. He knows that we don’t want to commit the troops to control all of China. But for now, we will have to follow the plans of the army headquarters. Your friend Itagaki supports them too.”

“Yes. He does not see the bigger picture at times. If we bind a third or more of our army permanently in China, it will weaken our options in the future. We should have been patient and tried to get a compromise with Chiang to protect our interests. The only thing we achieved so far is to rile up the Chinese against us and to isolate us further internationally. For now, we are not strong enough to do that.”

Last edited:
KanaX: That's the plan for now.

GeneralHannibal: Yes, but I am trying not to play for maximum efficiency but to role-play a bit. And in my reality the Japanese leadership wants a big chunk of China under military administration.

Admiral Yamamot: Thanks, I hope you like the next update. :)

Sir Humphrey: Well, doing it a bit different is more interesting. You guys all know the events. ;)

Ksim3000: I am trying to build balanced. I upgraded my airforce and army and continued the naval build queue that you start the scenario with. The navy gets the most resources though which is inevitable when you have ultra expensive units like the Yamato and Musashi in the queue.

Lafayette53: Thanks, I'll try my best.

El Pip: Yes, we will see the repercussions later. A too successful Japan will surely meet resistance sometime... :)

Zanza said:
The real enemy was not China. The real enemy was the United States and the rest of the Western nations.

Not the reading I had of that situation in the east at that time. The domination/control of China was an aim in and of itself. I didn't believe the Japanese had any particular problem with the rest of the world, beyond not being accepted as a 'First rate' global power.

While the issue of whether GB/US/rest would accept a Japanese dominated China was a question, probably not I suspect, a war was not inevitable.

Or that's how I understand it I could be completely wrong, it has been known to happen. ;)

Zanza said:
GeneralHannibal: Yes, but I am trying not to play for maximum efficiency but to role-play a bit. And in my reality the Japanese leadership wants a big chunk of China under military administration.
Ah, OK. Stupid leadership than. Hope this doesn't come back to hurt you :).

El Pip said:
Not the reading I had of that situation in the east at that time. The domination/control of China was an aim in and of itself. I didn't believe the Japanese had any particular problem with the rest of the world, beyond not being accepted as a 'First rate' global power.

While the issue of whether GB/US/rest would accept a Japanese dominated China was a question, probably not I suspect, a war was not inevitable.

Or that's how I understand it I could be completely wrong, it has been known to happen. ;)
I read some material on Ishiwara. He was quite unique among the Japanese generals of the time and actually believed in that stuff and pan-Asian friendship etc. You are right when you think of Japan's policy and the rest of its generals. We will see which views prevail...

EDIT: Just noticed that I didn't make clear that it was Ishiwara in the last update...

Crazy Viking: Thanks. :)
GeneralHannibal: Well, they don't know the game mechanics as good as you and I know them. :D

rcduggan said:
pretty cool map you got there.
I think it's beyond "pretty cool", more like "holy crap, the awesomeness burns my eyes!"

KanaX said:
I think it's beyond "pretty cool", more like "holy crap, the awesomeness burns my eyes!"

Right you are!! :rolleyes:

It's amazing!

Same old, same old on the Western Front - March 1939

Same old, same old on the Western Front

A tear rolled down his cheek and a sniffed lightly when he folded the letter and put it back into the pocket of his jacket. He hoped that his comrades didn’t notice. He hadn’t seen his wife and little daughter for more than a year now. But the rumors were that this war would be over soon. And then he could finally go back to his village and see them again. He wanted nothing more than that. At first, he had been enthusiastically when they had been sent to China. But after countless days of mud, cold and cold, he had enough. He hated the food, he hated the ever-same jokes of his comrades and he hated the marching. Worst of all was obviously the fighting though. He had seen comrades being wounded or killed. He had been under fire from artillery and machineguns. And he had seen the horrors in the Chinese villages and towns they conquered. Aerial bombardment and artillery left many civilians dead. He felt sick when he thought of it. And he was afraid of what he would see in the future. His comrades mocked him when he tried to talk about it with them. They called it shellshock or said that he was a coward. He had tried to talk about it with Hiroshi, his best friend in the unit, but he didn’t want to hear about it either. So he kept it to himself. And he wrote it in his long letters to his wife. He wondered what she thought about it, but he hadn’t gotten an answer from her in the last months.

They were advancing again. Walking along another sand track through a valley in China’s mountainous south. He could see a bridge over a small river ahead of them that had been bombed or destroyed by the Chinese. They would have to camp and wait for the engineers to establish a pontoon bridge. Well, at least that meant they would have time to rest a bit. He could need some sleep. He could always sleep. Back at home, he had been awake at the smallest noise, but nowadays he didn’t care anymore. He probably would have been able to sleep standing now.

japtroopsadvqr5.jpg

Japanese infantry advancing in mountainous terrain​

Yamashita Tomoyuki was in a high spirits. His troops had advanced considerably since they had annihilated the two pockets in the Guangdong province. They were now several hundred miles further west and had met considerable Chinese resistance in the mountains. Every pass was fought hardly now and it was no longer possible to outflank the Chinese due to the terrain. But they still pressed forward. The latest news from the headquarters was that the Chinese were close to giving up. One of the last warlords, Long Yun, in the southwest wasn’t happy with Chiang and they hoped to convince him to leave Chiang’s coalition by giving him more territories and basically leave him alone. The plan was that he would have to accept a small Japanese garrison and nominally be under Japanese control, but they basically wanted to leave him alone. He ruled over some worthless mountain regions that were not worth taking. They had pressed into the mountains steadily and finally approached Chiang’s last holdout, the rich and fertile Chengdu plains with his provisional capital Chongqing. He was still amazed by their success. Even with their overstretched supply lines and the bad infrastructure in Western China, they had still been able to conquer much of the vast land in a short time. He wondered if their campaign would one day be compared to the Mongols conquering China or Napoleon’s campaigns in Europe. He was interrupted in his thoughts by a young lieutenant.

“General Yamashita, we have news from the second regiment, they have met resistance but Colonel Watanabe is certain that they’ll overcome them.”

“Excellent. Any news from the third regiment?”

“No, nothing. Their last message was that they advanced further through their valley and would reach the pass soon.”

“Good.”

His corps was really successful lately. They had been able to crush Chinese resistance consistently. This campaign would soon be over. He was certain of that. They had broken the Chinese with their encirclements in Central China in the last months. Now, all that was left was mopping up and routing the remnants of the Chinese Army to the mountains where they would starve or at least lack supplies.

china7vp7.gif

Japanese progress in Western China​

Excellent update!

Is there a surrender event for the Chinese?

That is indeed a good balance you have going there with production and another two good updates! I know this is into the future a bit but will you plan any events or tweak the AI in anyway to allow for a more realistic Pacific War campaign or will you leave that aspect out? One problem I do have with the PW in HOI II is that Malaya or Burma are hardly ever fought for by the British, same with the Dutch East Indies with the Dutch. Just a query but I look forward to your next update!

Ksim3000 said:
I know this is into the future a bit but will you plan any events or tweak the AI in anyway to allow for a more realistic Pacific War campaign or will you leave that aspect out?

Now THIS would be fabulous! :eek:
Oh my god, this would be really amazing.

No matter you do this AAR, it will be awesome.
It's forbidden for you to abandon this AAR at any time.
I would starve!

Do you think it would be possible to get a veiw at your production, tech, and somethins like that.
An overview about the Japanese situation. :)

Admiral Yamamot said:
Excellent update!

Is there a surrender event for the Chinese?
Yes, there is. But the question is, what will he do when it launches?

Lemme guess.

He plays the game, suddenly the surrender event pops up, he quickly hits F11/Print Screen, takes up his ower cool paper sheet, cuts out the rest of the corners and the counters, mixes the picture, puts in the counters and write an update. Close enough? :D

You are doing good and the annexation of China can't be far away :) , just push into the North-Western part of China where all their IC is and victory will be yours :D