• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
An Imperial Visit to Kure - March 1939

An Imperial Visit to Kure

The emperor had been a keen follower of naval developments since his voyage to Europe on the battleship Katori almost twenty years ago. So it hadn’t surprised Yamamoto when the secretary of the Emperor had approached him and his superior, navy minister Yonai, to organize an imperial visit of the naval base in Kure. Admiral Yonai had been sick the last few days so it was his task to entertain the emperor today. He didn’t really like the white dress uniform that much, but for a visit of the emperor it would be necessary.
Hirohito and his entourage had arrived by train in Hiroshima and had been driven to the naval base. When the emperor left the first car, Yamamoto bowed deeply and then welcomed him and Prince Fushimi, the navy chief of staff and a second cousin of the emperor.

“We will start with a tour of the docks and I will show you the future flagship of our navy, your highness.”

“Yes, excellent. I can’t wait to see the Yamato. So far, I have only seen sketches. How long is she?”

“800 feet.”

“And the British and the Americans have nothing comparable?”

“No, your highness. This will be the ultimate battleship. They have nothing like this. Their designs still adhere to the treaties of the last decades. From what we know, the new British battleships will have smaller guns, less armament and won’t be faster either.”

Yamamoto wasn’t so keen about the project, but he knew that Prince Fushimi was an old school believer in the superiority of battle ships. He had been one of the main proponents of this new battleship. As he didn’t want to embarrass him in front of the emperor, he would keep his opinion to himself. Gladly, most of the important people in the navy had been convinced by him that battleships were a thing of the past. Aircraft carriers would rule the seas in the next naval conflict.

They walked towards the Yamato and boarded her. All the while, the emperor asked questions about technical aspects that Yamamoto faithfully answered. When they were finished they walked over to the other big dry dock where the Zuikaku, a new fleet carrier, was currently built. Yamamoto thought that she was much more important than the Yamato, but obviously the emperor didn’t care as much for her.

yamatogg7.jpg

Battleship Yamato in the dry dock in Kure​

They continued walking through the naval base towards the barracks of the Kure Rikusentai. When they arrived, the whole division had assembled on the parade ground in front of the barracks to welcome the emperor. The troops were especially trained for naval landings. The Great War and before it the Russo-Japanese War had demonstrated that having bases in the area of operations was more important than ever to resupply a fleet. These men would be the navy’s spearhead when conquering bases. They would also train opposed landings as the Gallipoli campaign had shown that amphibious operations were all but trivial. After talking to some of the officers of the Rikusentai, they walked over to the headquarters.

“Allow me to show you our design bureau, your highness. It’s where our best engineers work on new ship designs. At the moment, we work on a new design for destroyers. It’s not a revolution, but it is still a considerable improvement over the last design. The new class will be called Kagero and will be about 390 feet long. It will be our fastest and most powerful destroyer. As a whole, it’s probably more powerful than a light cruiser in the Great War. We need more destroyers to protect our shipping in case of a war. Me and some people of the general staff recently analyzed the submarine war of Germany in the Great War and made up estimations what modern subs could do. As you know, we are very dependent on our shipping just to supply our basic industries.”

They discussed some of the details of the new design with the engineers. The emperor also looked at the newest sketches for a new class of aircraft carriers and a new class of light cruisers. But these designs would take a few more years to be built. After that they walked to the officer’s mess to have lunch.

kagerocn6.jpg

Design for the new Kagero class destroyer​

The big officer’s mess with the huge map of the Western Pacific area obviously impressed Hirohito. About a hundred officers had assembled to greet the emperor. Over lunch they debated Japan’s future naval strategy.

“As you know, after we have finished the Yamato and the Musashi, we will concentrate on aircraft carriers. We will build them in different sizes. Smaller ones and sea planer tenders to support our other surface combatants and to protect convoys. But the centerpiece of our strategy will be the fleet carriers. In two and half years, we will have eight modern fleet carriers. Certainly that will be enough to have naval supremacy in the Pacific. We know that the British and the Americans have also begun with the construction of new carriers. The aircraft will be the ruler of the seas in the future.”

“But what about battleships? What will be their role?”

Now he had to treat carefully. While he was convinced that the time of the battleship was over, Prince Fushimi, who sat right next to the emperor, was not.

“We will try to lure an enemy into a decisive battle where the superiority of our battle ships will carry the day.”

“I see. How will you organize the navy in the future?”

“We will probably form two different fleets. The first will be centered on our carriers and will have fast cruisers as support to strike against enemy fleets afar. The second will be centered on our heavy surface vessels, our battle cruisers and battle ships. These will have two roles. On the one hand they will support military operations in coastal regions with naval gunfire support. Our heavy ships can lay an incredibly devastating barrage on every enemy. On the other hand, we will keep them ready for a decisive battle.”

He didn’t believe what he just said, but it was fleet doctrine. While he had gained considerable influence over the years, he was still just vice minister of the navy and couldn’t just throw the long standing doctrine out of the window. He would have to work slowly to convince them that a decisive battle wouldn’t happen anymore. Jutland and Tsushima wouldn’t be repeated. It would be slow attrition, indirect attacks against convoys and merchant shipping and surprise attacks. Set piece battles were a thing of the past.

“We will also build smaller fleets to patrol our seas of course. These will be centered mainly on our older cruisers and destroyers. We will keep these as a reserve too.”

Last edited:
Ksim3000 said:
That is indeed a good balance you have going there with production and another two good updates! I know this is into the future a bit but will you plan any events or tweak the AI in anyway to allow for a more realistic Pacific War campaign or will you leave that aspect out? One problem I do have with the PW in HOI II is that Malaya or Burma are hardly ever fought for by the British, same with the Dutch East Indies with the Dutch. Just a query but I look forward to your next update!
We will see... ;) I am sure that the Pacific War will be interesting and that the Allies will commit enough troops to make it hard for me. After all, I am much more successful than Japan was in real life so the Allies will be more vigilant this time. ;)

Do you think it would be possible to get a veiw at your production, tech, and somethins like that.
An overview about the Japanese situation.
Here you go. At least now you know what goes on with regards to the fleet. :)

General Jac: Actually they don't seem to have as much IC in Chongqing as I expected. Somehow the 1938 scenario apparently doesn't represent the effects of the "Move industry to interior" event that you will have in the GC.

Middlekerke: Thanks. :)

Roman_legion, KanaX: We will see what will happen then. I already have an idea for the picture that I'll use with the inevitable defeat of Nationalist China.

A Victory Celebration - April 1939

A Victory Celebration

Everybody around him was in a festive mood and he felt a light-hearted as well. He nodded towards the guard that grinned gleefully, probably thinking of finally going home. After more than one and a half years of fighting they had finally defeated Chiang’s Kuomintang. When they had approached the Chengdu plains where Chiang's last powerbase was, the Chinese had finally succumbed and conceded defeat. China was theirs and only mopping up in the North were some remnants of the Communists still held out in the mountains would be needed. He entered the big ballroom they had chosen for the celebration.

Most of the generals and higher officers of the campaign had come to the celebration and he could also see some familiar faces from Tokyo. Even some navy officers mingled with the army officers. Near the huge buffet he could see Hata, the supreme theatre commander, with his colleagues Terauchi, Higashikuni and Sugiyama talking in a group of officers. He saw people laughing and drinking. Sake, most likely. It was a happy occasion, even for him. He hadn’t liked the war, but he had given his best in its execution. So he could at least celebrate that.

He wondered what would happen to China now. The latest plans had called for the army to directly administrate the biggest part. They had made a deal with Long Yun, but he had wanted more than they were at first willing to offer. Now he had been promised the entire Sichuan province which would greatly add to his powerbase. He hadn’t been happy about that deal. That bastard couldn’t be trusted. He had sold out to them way too easily in Ishiwara’s opinion. If he ever saw an advantage in stopping to cooperate with them, he would do so in a heartbeat.

He was interrupted in his unnecessarily gloomy thoughts when someone patted him on the shoulder.

“Ah, General Ishiwara, how nice that you have finally joined us. We were drinking to your brilliant strategy earlier.”

It was Yamashita, perhaps the most talented field commander they had. Ishiwara had the utmost respect of him. They had discussed several times and Yamashita had shown time and again that he was creative and open to new ideas. On top of that, he was a very decent fellow. Drinking too much at times, but that was probably true of most of the officers in the army.

“Thank you. Your exploits are well worth a toast too.”

The officers around them agreed and cheered to Yamashita. They had a few more toasts and Ishiwara enjoyed the excellent food. The cooks had been flown in from Tokyo just for the occasion. It certainly was a huge difference to the normal army chow they got while in the field.

surrenderhk1.jpg

A Chinese general surrendering to his Japanese opponent​

The celebration went on for two or three more hours when Yamashita came to him again.

“So, what do you really think of this whole celebration, Ishiwara?”

“What do you mean? I am as happy as the next person.”

“Bah, you can’t fool me. Your objections are well known. And you seem a bit gloomy under the cover of your outward happiness.”

Yamashita was a good observer. He had just been thinking about the whole situation and what he didn’t like.

“Well, yes, you are right. I am not really satisfied with this peace treaty. We have beaten them. No, that’s not enough. We crushed them utterly so they had no possibilities except to accept an unconditional surrender. But as you know, I was against this war in the first place. The army and the emperor wanted this war and I did my duty.”

“Yes, yes. We all do our duty. But what do you think about the peace treaty?”

“Who knows what will happen now. Will it be a good solution? I would have preferred to set up a puppet government like Pu Yi’s. But alas, the army doesn’t want that. I fear the worst of this. We will only rile up the Chinese people against us. While many will just see us as another ruler from a far-away place and continue their lives as if nothing changed, others will fight us. Nationalism is too deeply ingrained in some Chinese now. They will never accept our rule. We will have to garrison all of China at a huge cost for years to come.”

“Yes, likely. We will see.”

“You know I thought the war came too early. It took us decades to effectively bring Korea and Formosa under our control. And only 8 years ago we established our puppet government in Manchukuo. We should have digested that at first before conquering the whole of China. It would have been enough. It gave us strategic depth against Russia and China. But now? We are in a quagmire here. China is a bottomless pit. We will constantly have to garrison it and for what?”

“All big empires were built on territorial expansion. Just look at the Russians, the British, even the Americans. They conquered the area west of the Mississippi in a very short time period. And now they are a great power to rival every other on earth. All big empires in the history of the world were established by conquest of vast lands.”

“Yes, I know. Yet, I think we should have been more cautious, more patient. That is our way. Strike when the time is right.”

“Well, the time was right. We crushed China this time. And the Western powers were all way too weak to intervene. They can’t even sort out the mess in Spain, much less intervene halfway around the world. Why wouldn’t this be the right time?”

“I think we should rather have sought to make China a partner. You know that I think that we will eventually have to fight the West for global hegemony. It will be a fight between Asia and the West. Between Japan and the USA, which by that time will have assumed an unquestioned dominance. Britain’s power is declining for several decades now. And we will be the foremost power of Asia. But we will need China’s assistance, not its enmity.”

japtroopscelebratekk7.jpg

Japanese troops celebrate the victory over China​

He had probably preached too much again and he could see that Yamashita lost interest. While he greatly admired Yamashita’s military skill, the man seemed to lack the view for the broader perspective, the political and philosophical ramifications of what happened. Too bad. But then, it wasn’t surprising. Most of the army officers were like him. Of the top of his head he could think of very few that looked at the broader picture and didn’t just think in operational terms. He thought of a small discussion with General Tojo earlier this evening. That was a man that seemed to look at the grander perspective.

“But let’s talk about today’s events. I have heard that Chiang flew to India and is now given asylum by the British.”

“Yes, just like Haile Selassie before him. He is a beaten man. We won’t hear of him again.”

“Well, I hope that too. I am not yet convinced. He is a formidable foe.”

Jape: Thanks. :)

Middlekerke: I think I had like 120-130 efficient IC at that time. Too lazy to load the game now. ;)

Admiral Yamamot: I had this thing half-finished for three days now, but other more pressing matters occupied my time. I guess that will happen from time to time.

Sandino: Thanks. :) Here you go.

Nice update!

rcduggan said:
an update! eeeeeeeeexcellent.

And it's a great one, too! :) :)

@Zanza: You don't have to excuse yourself if you don't have enough time.
It was just my fear, that this AAR had been abandoned.
I would die. :cool:

Well, China was a relatively quick work. I'm interested to see which route you will take after this, but take your time.

Interesting dialgoue Zanza. Also, I look forward to the imminent emergence of Fu Manchu and his Si-Fan as troublemakers in occupied China. ;)

It's been quite a while since I followed a HOI AAR. I took a quick look at one or two today and yours stood out from the rest. Having read it through I'm hungry for more. Excellent writing and style and as others have said, your sepia maps and piccies are really eye catching and help set a fantastic atmosphere with your chosen style of writing.

*subscribes and hopes this aar will go the distance*

Roman_legion said:
Yea, whit the chinese surrender this aar will eventually end (unless u keep it up by writhing about the Jap vs US war)
Why do you think that this would be the end? There's a whole world out there!