Open Beta Patch 1.11.4 (Steam Only) (Updated Mk4) - Checksum b22c

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Korea now controls provinces when released after Japanese surrender to China.

Does this mean the Shadow-Korea bug is fixed?

Also, is patch 1.11.4 called ''open_beta - Open Beta" in Steam? Edit: Re-read the first line and apparently it is. Note to self: Read before asking questions...

• 5Like
Reactions:
Does this mean the Shadow-Korea bug is fixed?

Also, is patch 1.11.4 called ''open_beta - Open Beta" in Steam? Edit: Re-read the first line and apparently it is. Note to self: Read before asking questions...
Confirmed. It's just labeled
1_11_4_beta_Steam.PNG

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Will you finally fix reichskommissariat ostland getting instantly annexed by the Soviet Union and not including the new states in the Baltics when created ?
Paradox keeps making the same mistake again and again. Each time they change states, some old formable nation or focus doesn't account for those.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Bugs:
- Returning volunteer forces is lost. You never get them back in this beta. Played as japan
- In air map mode you dont see color showing do you have superioty or not

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hello everyone!

We have setup an opt-in open beta branch for Barbarossa, aptly named open_beta. If the branch does not appear, restarting Steam should fix it.
This is meant for the brave souls who want to try out the upcoming fixes & balance changes early.
Contrary to normal releases this branch is a work-in-progress that has yet to go through our full release QA process, so while we try to keep relatively stable you may experience new issues or crashes.

You will notice that the version is 1.11.4 while the current live build is 1.11.2. This is because this branch includes both patch 1.11.3 that we intend to release next week and 1.11.4 that we aim for the week after that.
Finally, not mentioned in the changelog are a significant amount of performance optimizations that we believe will make the experience smoother for you.

Feel free to leave your feedback in this thread or in the bug report forum as usual, especially if you encounter new issues not present in 1.11.2, or if something marked as fixed in the below changelog still occurs for you.

##################################
# AI

- AI will prioritize front stability better and avoid reshuffling divisions too often
- AI will not longer be unprepared for focuses leading to war with them when dynamic tags such as Vichy France are involved

# Bugfix

- The Polish national focus "Expand the University of Warsaw" will now properly count owned factories.
- Soviet Civil War will not longer immediately conclude when both sides are communist when playing without No Step Back
- Fleets drawing supply from a port will no longer stop armies standing on that port from receiving supply from the same harbour in some cases

# Balance

- Reduced compliance gain bonuses in advisor and country leader traits from 0.1 to 0.05. Kamenev will now provide 0.02 compliance bonus as advisor, and 0.05 as country leader.
- Reduced weekly stability bonus and replaced weekly war support bonus by a flat one in Stalin's traits.
- Slightly reduced weekly War Support and PP gain on Stalinist campaign. Reduced XP gain and Breakthrough bonus on For the Motherland campaign.
- Army and Navy Spirit cost adjusted down to 20/35/50 from 25/50/75. Air spirits now all cost 50 air experience.
- Naval bases now cost 5000 IC (from 3000), and incur an extra cost of 1000 per additional level.
- Air Supply mission fuel costs increased by 50%
- Increases hub Max Motorization cost to 80 trucks, from 50
- Democratic government type now confers a bonus of -25% political advisor cost. Several national spirits have been slightly tweaked down to accomodate the possibility of stacking this bonus.
- Several historically Allied countries now start with a small amount of Command Power in 1936 (ENG, USA, FRA, HOL)
- Relief of Command Army Spirit (democratic only) now reduces Military Advisor PP cost by 50% from 75%, but increases army experience gain factor by 25%
- Reduced Dozer Blade entrenchment bonus to 1, from 2
- Several Italian military advisors have had their traits upgraded, pp cost increased, and cp allocation decreased. This change will only be applied to new saves.
- Revert " Democratic government type now confers a bonus of -25% political advisor cost. Several national spirits have been slightly tweaked down to accomodate the possibility of stacking this bonus."
- Reduced Unternehmen Barbarossa modifier to 10% attack bonus from 15%
- Air supply now grants 0.2 supply per plane at 100% mission efficiency, from 1.2 :)|)

# Stability & Performance

- Fixed a modder CTD related to scripted mapmodes when accessing intel interfaces

# UI
- Manually marking equipment variants as non-obsolete updates the alerts
- Fix hourly UI update Breaking transitions between officer corps windows
- Capital star icon updates when province changes controller

# AI

- Fix AI rail upgrade issuing redundant upgrade commands
- RWG slightly afraid of provinces under attack
- Soviet Union will now aim to build a decent civilian factory base before switching to other priorities
- railway guns should now have better positioning
- Removed obsolete Soviet AI strategies. Old AI strategy to antagonize Finland is now enabled by the appropriate focus.
- stop ENG from build too many civs
- fixed templates for ENG to prevent issues with tank design templates
- bump ai build prio on disconnected supply nodes
- Field strength training threshold also factors in divisions in training. This prevents AI fro stacking up a huge list of divisions that are all out of equipment.
- Fix various bugs with how AI checked manpower for exiled divisions in training

# Bugfix

- Remove German claim on Katowice if Poland cedes Danzig as indicated in the Polish tooltip.
- Make sure there is no duplicate of user name in player_countries in save file. This avoids any confusion when determining if the country is human or AI controlled.
- The Japanese Torpedo Cruiser focus now displays the correct art when finished
- Added missing trigger to the Sabotage Behind Enemy Line focus
- Give Inter-War medium and heavy tank designs proper default names.
- When a character is added to a country and they are already in the retired character list, remove them from this list. also when setting character in scope, keep the country as well.
- Kurdish liberation unit spawned in Atlanta, should be Batman
- Fix to make Japan less likely to turn the Russian Provisional Government Fascist after making it a puppet through the Request Imperial Protection focus
- Allow field marshals to be assigned the advisor roles of generals
- when copying characters, copy also the flags attached to them
- Adjusted the changes in Party Popularity in the Portugese focus 'The Return of Duarte' so it matches the tooltip.
- Fix is_dynamic_country trigger that was not calling the right function
- Fixed incorrect image link in between the seas event
- When portraits are invalid, pick a random portrait for live version (keep using placeholder for debug)
- Replaced old tech speed bonus effect for doctrines in the generic focus Flexible Navy by the new doctrine cost reduction bonus effect.
- Fixed CTD that would sometimes occur in multiplayer when viewing air combat in a region as another player hot joins the game.
- AI less hesitant at reassigning divisions (fixes a bunch of bugs)
- Estonia and Latvia no longer get negative national spirits from NSB when not using the DLC
- Latvia now get the correct country leader when not using the No Step Back DLC
- Subject states can now create some of the formables in the Soviet Union
- Fixed wrong positioning of dynamic modifiers in the National Spirits tab when using the small version.
- Added loc for two non-MTG naval techs that may be granted to Soviets in their focus tree.
- Baltic focus Technology Sharing will no longer be bypassed to prevent Baltic countries to get stuck with 4 research slots. Baltic research sharing group will no longer be formed if it already exists.
- Trotsky will now enjoy an up-to-date trait for his Army Chief role in Mexico.
- Balance changes to Soviet national spirit Desperate Measures to prevent Soviets from insta-deploying divs while active (in combination with Mass Assault Doctrine)
- Implemented alternative tooltip in Soviet focus National Academies of Sciences for non-Soviet Soviets.
- Soviet generals with new portraits will now use the small version of their new portraits for their advisor roles.
- Baltic shared designers no longer appear in their lists without No Step Back
- When using auto design in the tank designer the resulting design will now always be valid.
- The Polish national focus "Expand the University of Warsaw" will now properly count owned factories.
- More stable AI behavior when a naval invasion fails
- AI will no longer try invading provinces outside target area
- Naval invasion arrow will point to the first targeted province instead of the last
- Single-character purges will now use the character list tooltip implemented for larger purges, so that their roles, traits and level are shown in the purge event tooltip.
- Remove preferred tactic if it becomes invalid
- When designing tanks the AI will not install more modules of the same category than is allowed, which will help the US among others to field tanks.
- Soviet focuses Improve the Stalin Line, Far East Fortification and Impregnable Forts will now require full control of at least one of the states in which forts will be built. Protect the White Sea-Baltic Canal focus requires full control of all the relevant states.
- Removed obsolete Soviet Alternate plan. Fixed Left Opposition plans never being selected on random.
- Manchukuo no longer becomes a Japanese Communist Puppet when the Japanese Civil War starts
- Focuses should no longer cancel a few hours before the Soviet Civil War starts
- Fixed tooltip in German focus Treaty with the USSR. Germany will now get armor tech bonus regardless of having researched basic medium tanks or not.
- Korea now controls provinces when released after Japanese surrender to China.
- AI no longer using trade to determine naval access
- For characters and parties, do not store the translated name, store the loc keys instead. This avoids OOS when 2 players use different langages.
- Zhang Xueling now has the correct portrait when promoted to advisor role
- Fixed issue where Estonia couldn't start decisions for marching on Finland if Estonia started their fascist civil war while they were marching on an Estonian state.
- For most tank designs the AI will no longer install multiple smoke launchers, secondary turret, or additional machine gun.
- No more free Baltic trees after winning civil wars without NSB DLC
- Fixed insta-win/lose the Soviet Civil War if DLC No Step Back is not active and both sides in the civil war are communist.
- Fixed certain Soviet decisions with did not really cost the intended CP and PP
- If a trait for unit leader is already assigned, then do not consider it assignable. This fixes the alert being displayed when the player cannot actually assign new traits.
- British Malaya and Dutch East Indies now get the correct leaders from start
- Lithuania can no longer get Poland into a Personal Union without Lithuania being fully independent.
- Fixed the wrong Bulgarian deomcratic leader appearing with BftB
- Fixed missing portrait for mexican advisors Othón P. Blanco Núñez de Cáceres and Antonio Cárdenas Rodríguez
- Danzig Decisions are now available without No Step Back
- Mexico Characters Dionisio Encina, Valentín Campa and Jesús Degollado Guízar now become party leaders when their respective events trigger.
- Fixed missing Spanish political advisors and one chief of army when LaR was not active.
- Fixed some decisions in Lithuania, Poland and Estonia where it was possible to start them without the required available civilian factories.
- Fixed several mismatches in the Tutorial texts in Portuguese and Polish.
- Beriya is not Stalin, therefore he can no longer access Stalin's Cult of Personality.
- Fixed tooltip in Soviet focus Increase Aircraft Production. The player doesn't need to know about the weird stuff that is going on behind the scenes.
- Fixed an issue where units could get stuck in exile
- Italy now starts with the appropriate focuses completed in the 1939 bookmark.
- Adding missing Loc for POL Danzig resistance modifier.
- Changing the name of a State Modifier in SOV so it doesn't get the description from the decision with the same name and show an untranslated loc.
- added missing detailed description for supply mapmode.
- Trotsky can now be properly assassinated even when the player deactivates the News Events popup
- Communist China will now respect their decision to accept the tribute increasement for at least 90 days.
- Fixed monarchist decisions in Poland and Lithuania so they cannot make other countries into Personal Unions if they're puppets of another country.
- Fixed wrong event being sent back to the Soviet Union resulting in Stalin refusing his own demands.
- Spain will no longer conspire against their Soviet overlord after losing their War of Independence.
- Adjusted the effect for the Sanation Right irritation so when it's meant to increase over 4 and it's AI Non-historical it just keeps the spirit but when it's the player, a civil war starts.
- Changed the Dutch focus Wilhelminism so it bypasses when The Netherlands and Germany are in a faction and both have Non-Aligned Governments.
- Changing Neutrality and Fascism drift of Lithuanian advisor from positive to negative to make it match the historical character.
- Adjusting Soviet decision 'The Enemy is Treacherous' so it's not visible when the player doesn't have La Resistance.
- Added missing focus to the Polish historical AI plan. Danzig or War will now remove POL-LIT guarantee
- Adjusting the True Enemy event for the baltic countries so it places forts in the correct provinces.
- Fixed Kazim Orbay's multiple problems.
- Fixed issue where Lithuania can continue boosting monarchist support in Poland even after they have a king. Other adjustments to these decisions.
- Changes to Romanian ideas so they transfer correctly when Poland triggers a civil war in Romania
- Made Vapsid Marches in Estonia and Finland not visible after they're completed regardless of ideology. Also adjusted the balance of one of the Estonian marches
- Fix of dlc and non-dlc portraits from WTT for MAN and CHI
- The Montreux Convention event chain now allows and blocks the appropriate countries depending on the results of the events.
- Fix civil war effect posing messages without updating country names
- Fix various supply map/volunteer UI issues
- Poland now starts with embargoed economy in 1939 as they haven't completed the focus to remove it yet
- Fix replacing template companies costing double
- fix GiE supply hubs not connecting to allied supply before they controled enough territory to be assigned a capital
- fix building conversion double counting slot consumption while being built
I forgot say, thank you for giving us these quick fixes.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I have a question related to this: does this only affect the 'naval invasion' troops, or other troops normally transported after the landing as well?

Something for further testing...

Actually, you might check this after 1.11.4, it might be fixed anyway, if the root cause was the port supply issues.
This is for invading forces. Its not that bad a penalty honestly. but it is something that changed with 1.11 unintentionally. we'll take a look at it

Still no mention about fixing the font issue plaguing several players I see.
We dont have a clear repro yet. some people get it fixed by verifying files so its some local/steam issue but it doesnt seem to work for everyone. see the link above and keep any insights in that channel. Its an important problem.

Insert generic "what about [insert fix/change here]" comment here
Insert generic polite response that isn't saying what I am thinking :p

Returning volunteer forces is lost. You never get them back in this beta,
is it always? or specific. if you got a save please make a bug report in the report forum in case its a specific situation

I forgot say, thank you for giving us these quick fixes.
Thanks, but remember its just a beta for now. we will add more and some of these might have issues so let us know and thanks for helping testing - it means we can bring out the patches faster

• 19Like
  • 2Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Did a quick test with Bulgaria, sent volunteers to Spain, but alas they never came home. The returning home icon appeared, but disappeared after a while and my troops are nowhere to be seen.

I wonder if I can circumvent it by using the recall volunteer mod just before the scw ends. Alas I wont get the bonus by from the focus by doing that.

Nope didn't work, they still disappear. I was feeling a calm axis run Bulgaria campaign! Which is actually more fun than I thought, since you can ask for Balkan lands, and eventually core them.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Am I the only one who doesn't see country leader names or advisor names? I only see mexico leaders name for some reason, other than that it's just blank.

Didn't have this before I installed beta.

Reactions:
Paradox keeps making the same mistake again and again. Each time they change states, some old formable nation or focus doesn't account for those.

That's what they get for convoluting the game with silly stuff like countries way out of the time frame and RKs that didn't have a fraction of the autonomy of your average federal state, but you don't see those represented as subjects, and rightly so.

• 9Like
Reactions:
I am very pleased to see that the ports supply bug has been fixed in this beta. Thank you! I had given up given that fixed this week.
Bugs:
- Returning volunteer forces is lost. You never get them back in this beta. Played as japan
- In air map mode you dont see color showing do you have superioty or not
I do see the usual colours in air map mode in 1.11.4. If you can't see them, maybe try the usual checks (verify game files, unsubscribe from all mods) and if it's still a problem you can write a proper bug report.
Am I the only one who doesn't see country leader names or advisor names? I only see mexico leaders name for some reason, other than that it's just blank.

Didn't have this before I installed beta.
I couldn't see French adviser names, but I wonder whether that's because I didn't have 100% intel yet. I could see adviser names for several other countries. Maybe your copy of the game has corrupted files or zombie mods??

Reactions:
Well, volunteers not returning is one way to punish European countries for sending volunteers to China.
I mean China is a big place. Easy to get lost there.

• 12Haha
Reactions:
Sensational work Team HoI4 :cool: Thanks for all your hard work and best of luck stomping on these bugs :) I'll give the beta a look a bit later today and see if anything crops up.

One concern (and, as always - these are thoughts in case they help - it's your game, and a great game, and I'll play it regardless) this change:

- Naval bases now cost 5000 IC (from 3000), and incur an extra cost of 1000 per additional level.

...particularly with no UX changes, is kind-of doubling down on the inconsistency between the UX and the mechanics when it comes to supply (and also makes it harder to build up ports in new areas). I think focussing on the "rigid supply network" design approach (which is what this is) without expanding how far the supply gets to, is locking in future challenges in the future unnecessarily. I could be wrong of course - just mentioning it in the spirit of helping - while I think the fundamentals of the supply system are great, some of the settings as to its implementation don't seem coherent from a design perspective, both within the system itself and in the way the system interacts with other systems.

I suspect this is intended to solve the "port on every province in Libya" situation - but if supply range is expanded a bit then there wouldn't be the same gameplay incentive to do this - and from a historical plausibility perspective putting a port in every province should lead to improved supply. The reason it wasn't done wasn't that the capacity wasn't there - it was because a port at Tobruk could adequately support an attack on Benghazi, and Benghazi could adequately support and attack on Tobruk (and then a smaller port at Mersa Matruh, just on the Egyptian side of the border - it's not in HoI4 yet and didn't really matter until now, but the game would benefit from plonking it in now).

Ie - raising port costs is doubling down on mechanics that take the game further away from historical plausibility, and the gameplay mechanics further away from player-controlled. It's an atrocious pun, but I can't help myself - you're pushing for a design based around railroading of what was a far more flexible-in-practice-historically approach to logistics networks (expanding the existing network is cheap, but changing the structure of the network outside of ports was prohibitively expensive, and now ports are more expensive too - both to degrees that are not historically plausible).

This then interacts with a UX system that warns players not to be off the fixed network - but sometimes this is necessary, leaving "permanent supply alerts" in place, which means it's much harder for players to notice when a supply issue they can influence has cropped up.

It's your game of course - and I'm not for a second suggesting it's unplayable - but the system as designed now is in some ways less flexible (not all ways - in others it's substantially more flexible - but where it counts as to the overall structure it's far more "fixed") than the one it replaced, and I'm yet to see any evidence to suggest that the UX isn't noticeably more confusing (at least in some ways unnecessarily). It's no skin off my nose, as I'm quite comfortable modding in changes to the cost of ports, and expect to be able to tweak the supply falloff curve and terrain costs to get something that works a bit better with the UX and is a bit more historically plausible - but I can't help but feel you're making your life harder than it needs be here.

Insert generic polite response that isn't saying what I am thinking :p

Hahaha, love it :)

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
In old versions, I can write desc for the country_leader,idea,general and admiral, but after the update of Barbarossa, I can only write desc for country_leader and idea.Desc written for general and admiral doesn't take effect.Even if using the code of old versions to add a general with desc, the desc won't be displayed.

I wonder whether the code for adding desc has been changed or the function of adding desc has been removed

Sorry for the second post - just a heads-up that the scaling increase in port costs creates an incentive to build lots of little ports, instead of one big one - I didn't realise this initially (I'm a bit slow :p ), but the increase in the cost disincentivises the behaviour you're trying to change, while the scaling cost encourages it. Would suggest at least dropping the scaling cost (keeping in mind that a level 10 port at 5000 a level is now 1.67 times the cost of a nuclear reactor, so probably overpriced - thus the scaling cost isn't likely to be necessary to keep things balanced).

• 4Like
Reactions: