Open Beta Patch 1.11.4 (Steam Only) (Updated Mk4) - Checksum b22c

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Two things - both not sure if a bug or WAD, but here in case useful:

1) Playing as France, I didn't have assistance from one British or Commonwealth division. Not the end of the world, but just wondering whether in the various front priority assignment adjustments, that allied fronts might have fallen down the order - I can't recall in which build I last played in the Allied ground war against Germany, but I remember having all sorts of Commonwealth units involved (a few too many, probably - but now it's the other side of the scale).

2) SPART and SPTD getting buffs from the artillery line is a great step - I noticed that SPAA didn't make the cut though. May well be WAD, but mentioning in case it slipped through the cracks.

1638772998357.png
1638773053403.png

• 4Like
Reactions:
Am happy to report that at least in my playthrough (historical focuses, France, started on the new build) Germany declared war on Poland right on time in late August, so good news there as well :). Tripped over a UI bug though. This may have been in an earlier build as well, but it's the first time I've noticed it. Apologies if it's a duplicate.

Version 1.11.4.69fb
Checksum: b4f8

Description: Naval battle progress indicator (at least in this example) in the naval battle UI is reversed from the map (the map being correct, the battle indicator UI not being correct) - and the tooltip's assessment of the battle being undecided shows something of a lack of confidence in the Regia Marina.

Repro steps are:
1) Load attached save.
2) move view to the Tyrrhenian Sea and observe, as per the first screenshot, the poor French patrol force being wailed on by the Italian strike force, and the naval battle indicator rightly showing they're in trouble.
3) Click on the battle to bring up the detailed battle UI.
4) Observe as per the second screenshot that the battle UI "progress indicator" incorrectly shows the opposite, suggesting that the French are winning overwhelmingly.
5) Hover over the battle indicator to bring up the tooltip.
6) Observe that the tooltip reads that "The outcome is currently undecided", which is inconsistent with either the on-map or in-UI battle progress indicator, and probably a tad over-cautious given the situation.

Screenies in spoiler to limit post size.
View attachment 783228
View attachment 783227

Edit: Bonus screenshot of lazy strike force not coming to the aid of my patrolling ships - not sure if this is a bug or not, and if it is, it could well be one that's been around a while (I still think if there are strike forces on either side, that the batle should start between both strike forces - as it is, it makes far more sense for me to just patrol with monster fleets):
View attachment 783236
UI bug is smth new, but strike force not coming for aid was like that in previous versions as well - I thought it is related to the length of battle. I mentioned that taskforce are hesitant to join if they risk to arrive too late before last enemy ship retreats. This e.g. prevents your core fleet reacting to every sub convoy engagement, which would be super annoying e.g. for Indochina as Japan

Reactions:
- reduced CAS ground attack by 2 (approx 20% at tier 1, down to 10% at top tier)
- increase HA/SA of mutliple tank guns, reduced costs for medium modules, slight increase in medium base speeds
Oh thank you so much

- Balance changes to consumer goods bonuses/penalties in the Soviet industrial branch: CG penalty from starting Second Five Year Plan spirit reduced from +10% to +5%. CG bonuses provided by Reorganize the PC of Heavy Industry and Fourth Five Year Plan reduced from -3% to -2%. CG bonus provided by Transformation of Nature reduced from -5% to -3%.
another good change, have you thought about making some foci in the soviet air tree 35 days instead of 70 days? You have to invest 245 days to remove the air accident malus

• 5Like
Reactions:
- reduced TD battalion width to 2 from 3
- updated templates for new TD combat width
Why are you buffing TD's again? It is still 3 combat width for medium and heavy TD but IIRC you mentioned that it will be 2 for them as well. Now keeping in mind that you can just switch the type of most of medium and heavy tonks to TD if needed gun is placed dont you think it is gonna make tanks utterly useless because you can have the same stats at the TWICE cheaper battalion? That is also keeping breakthrough of the tonk AND getting buffed AT gun technology? I mean blimey so called TD's such as Stug's STUH's ISU's of many modifications should give breakthrough and were used to break enemy defences but at some expense and combat width nerf was a good one IMO.

Also a lil question why doesnt SPAA getting buffed from their respective artillery techs?

• 1Like
Reactions:
German Historical AI issue.

Need to stop German AI from opening other fronts while still in early phase of France. When they open other fronts like Yugoslavia while barely pushed into France they divert too many divisions and severely weaken the push into France. In my current game as Italy they have lost 1.54 million manpower in April of 41 and are getting no where in France because of this. I am restarting current game as they have no chance against USSR at this point, Germany basically threw the war.

Reactions:
They instantly pick "through Benelux" and scandinavia invasion even though they still push into Poland, resulting in at least 2, sometimes 3 front war. This was a problem even before NSB, unfortunately

Reactions:
Some minors seem to have Air Superiority advisor, despite name and icon implying it should be bonus for CAS/TAC.
But please keep it an air superiority advisor, cas is useless for minors if you can't get good air superiority

v6Ijqnw.png

Reactions:
German Historical AI issue.

Need to stop German AI from opening other fronts while still in early phase of France. When they open other fronts like Yugoslavia while barely pushed into France they divert too many divisions and severely weaken the push into France. In my current game as Italy they have lost 1.54 million manpower in April of 41 and are getting no where in France because of this. I am restarting current game as they have no chance against USSR at this point, Germany basically threw the war.
That's true, but it is an general issue. Japan AI for example is absolute madness. In my Germany Game I finish Allies, so the Indonesia Subjects now belong to Germany. Meanwhile, Japan are not able to finish China, but still work down the focus path and immediately declare war on the US. This decision, is Okay. They had enough troops for some landings and a navy that is ready for the fight. But...
They instantly use their war goals on my subjects, which they get from the next focus in the path, after I finish the Sovjets. They do this every time you get a land border with them. So they now have a major land war in China, a major navy war with the US and the AI think, let's stack this up. We have guarantees with each other, the germans have an advisor at my wars and land leased my troops since 4 years, but yeah, let's attack them, too. Stupid. The AI should do some calculation, especially when they are actually at war.
I get the point, to force Germany or other aggressive nations to be historical no matter what and force them to attack their targets, but to be clear: When they don't outclass their first targets, as they do historically, it is pointless to force them to suicide themselves. It ends the campaign right there, because this kind of overstretching is nonsense. Don't get me wrong, a little bit of madness or overconfidence is absolute fine, but there should be some kind of plan or option to be a bit ahistorical, when the campaign start to be unhistorical.
Same thing with the US, they chill and relax while the germans run over Europe. I agree with that, as long you are fast enough to get Sealion done (1940). The US don't want to join the war at this point. But after the war declaration on the sovjets (1941), the US AI have to switch to stop the germans, with no excuses. Not with a immidiate war declaration, but with preperations to start a war asap, especially, if Germany have holdings in the Americas from the peace deal.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's true, but it is an general issue. Japan AI for example is absolute madness. In my Germany Game I finish Allies, so the Indonesia Subjects now belong to Germany. Meanwhile, Japan are not able to finish China, but still work down the focus path and immediately declare war on the US. This decision, is Okay. They had enough troops for some landings and a navy that is ready for the fight. But...
They instantly use their war goals on my subjects, which they get from the next focus in the path, after I finish the Sovjets. They do this every time you get a land border with them. So they now have a major land war in China, a major navy war with the US and the AI think, let's stack this up. We have guarantees with each other, the germans have an advisor at my wars and land leased my troops since 4 years, but yeah, let's attack them, too. Stupid. The AI should do some calculation, especially when they are actually at war.
I get the point, to force Germany or other aggressive nations to be historical no matter what and force them to attack their targets, but to be clear: When they don't outclass their first targets, as they do historically, it is pointless to force them to suicide themselves. It ends the campaign right there, because this kind of overstretching is nonsense. Don't get me wrong, a little bit of madness or overconfidence is absolute fine, but there should be some kind of plan or option to be a bit ahistorical, when the campaign start to be unhistorical.
Same thing with the US, they chill and relax while the germans run over Europe. I agree with that, as long you are fast enough to get Sealion done (1940). The US don't want to join the war at this point. But after the war declaration on the sovjets (1941), the US AI have to switch to stop the germans, with no excuses. Not with a immidiate war declaration, but with preperations to start a war asap, especially, if Germany have holdings in the Americas from the peace deal.
Well, Japan started war with USA because they believed they could just break their spirit by sinking Pacific fleet, that was all they hoped for, no other plans - most of clever army stuff knew they had no chance vs USA, but they still started it anyway. Although in WW1 - but Russia sent big battle fleet across the globe for it just to be sunk by Japanese in a single battle. France ignored whole German army stuck in rush hour and mud for days, when they could literally bomb them and end WW2 before it even started. Germans allowed Britain to evacuate 300k soldiers from Dunkirk just because Goering asked Hitler to let him finish them from air and screwed up. US ignored any warnings prior the Pearl Harbor attack, either official statements from drills before the WW2 or tons of alleged intel.

I mean - if you know how many extremely stupid history making decisions were made in WW2 irl, you can totally believe that AI is "immersive enough"

• 1Like
Reactions:
Any ETA on when this patch will go live ?
Right now the Soviets are pathetic. Playing as Romania, they broke Molotov Ribbentrop pact because they declared war on one of the Baltics that turned fascist and was guaranteed by Germany.
And of course they got steamrolled in a couple months.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
"EST_vapsid_takeover" oh man please check the entire game completely before officially launching the patch 1.11.4

Great work on spotting the missing loc :). That said, it's worth keeping in mind when asking the devs to "check the entire game" that HoI4 is a big game - there are thousands upon thousands of lines of loc - and any good checking process involves double-checking, so the time required to go through them would mean a significant delay in releases and an increase in costs (because devs have to, and should be, paid!) So any checking process is always a balance between accuracy (absolute accuracy is very expensive - it's possible, but usually only done for things that are very-high-cost on failure - and even then, occasionally the balance is messed up and aircraft/space shuttles fall out of the sky/explode) and keeping the cost of the product to a reasonable level. Given the complexity of HoI4, the level of checking is good - but we should expect some things to slip through the cracks - the devs, like the rest of us*, are still human :).

* No offence intended if any clever bots have managed to sign up to the forum. You're still only as good as your programmers :p

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I went and looked and you are correct. So I guess the answer is reducing the breakthrough penalty somewhat in the the unit defines.
Just btw, current beta patch has a typo in defines on breakthrough involving SPG, iirc., so it won't be the way Paradox wants it till the 'final' 1.11.4 patch, unless there's a round 4, which isn't the intent we've heard from Paradox so far.