• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Updates for this mod I'll still keep on hold until after The Old Gods comes out though, I first need to make sure it works with the expansion.
Could you do a version for PB+SWMH perhaps? From what my users tell me, it gives rather strange results.

I'll do my best to get that combination working when I get to updating. Probably the next release(s) won't have major incompatibility any longer since I'll be moving the battlefield duels to a new on_actions file (weighted properly it should work without conflict in conjunction with other files). Any other issues are likely because PB/SWMH has changed some files since the last time I made the compat patches. :)
"(weighted properly it should work without conflict in conjunction with other files)"
To my knowledge that'll override the regular on_actions file for that specific on_action.
I'll test to make sure and get back to you.

Thanks for testing that. I might still extract it to another file, would be easier at least a bit for compatibility.
I've searched in the PB thread by the way, but could not find any specifics on how the DE is supposedly incompatible.
Users can be bad at being specific.
Closest you'll get is probably "Also Duel Engine with PB comp is giving some bad events and decisions"

Couple of bugs with the tournament code:
It is entirely possible for the game to forever think someone is attending a tournament. An event to remove the flag after a few years works well to fix that.

If the tournament can't start due to a war, the flags aren't cleared, so it impossible to start it again after the war. Easily solved by just clearing all the tourney flags in the option you get when the tourney starts while you're at war.

Last edited:
Also having some issues with my tourney simply never ending within a reasonable time :/
Seems the frequency of the jousts should be increases. Since a tourney is supposed to end in two months, only getting 2 or 3 jousts in that time isn't desirable.
The best way to do it might be through event chains so that all participants continually find a new opponent every other day or so until two months have passed. That way each person could potentially fight 30 or so opponents if they're not eliminated.

@jordarkelf:
Some changes I'm making to the Duel Engine in the next version of PB; they'd probably make sense in the duel engine itself as well:

Removed all random chances of injury or death in battle. This can now only happen via the Duel Engine
Made duels in combat slightly (25%) more likely
Being brave now makes duels in combat 50% more likely. Being craven makes duels half as likely

BTW, really loving some of the results I'm getting thanks to this mod:
I was attacked while besieging some infidel city in the middle of Spain. I was outnumbered 6500 to 3500, and my reinforcements, 2000 mercs, were two provinces away.
In the battle I managed I engaged the leader of about half the enemy army. I was soon wounded, but refused to yield. Moments later I had killed him, taking his army out of the war, leaving me with 2500 enemies against my remaining 2000 men.
By the time it was down to 2000 vs. 1300, my mercs showed up. A few days after the battle was won.
A month or so later I was able to force my demands, gaining me another four provinces, further cementing my supreme position in Iberia.

@jordarkelf:
I think you might've messed up the Fighter trait gain a bit :p
4DpgCM8.jpg

Do you mean the low martial (10) skill or that she is a girl...??? Never understood why girls and women have martial traits...it was unthinkable for a woman to fight in Middle Ages...except Joan and 1 or 2 other extraordinary women...
Both really. Someone with a martial of 6 (before getting Formidable Fighter) really shouldn't be "one of the greatest warriors alive".
And of course, women reaching that stage should be incredibly rare.

Martial skill is ignored for duels - someone with 30 martial is no better or worse than someone with 0 martial. Martial education and fighter education determine who has the advantage.

Currently nothing blocks women from getting either martial education (vanilla) or fighter education (Duel Engine).
It seems silly that Martial would have no effect on combat. If you know how troops are led, then you know what your enemy is likely to do, so you're able to put up a better defense/offense.
It shouldn't have a huge effect perhaps, but it should probably have some.

I might add a small dependency on it, but it should be more so that a Brilliant Strategist or Formidable Fighter has a major advantage over a Misguided Warrior or Poor Warrior even if the latter has more martial skill.
Potential vs Education/Experience.

Something like this in duel.4 (FROMFROM wins, obviously the reverse for FROM wins):
Code:
            modifier = {
                factor = 1.1
                FROMFROM = { martial = 10 }
                NOT = { FROM = { martial = 5 } }
            }
            modifier = {
                factor = 1.5
                FROMFROM = { martial = 15 }
                NOT = { FROM = { martial = 10 } }
            }
            modifier = {
                factor = 2
                FROMFROM = { martial = 20 }
                NOT = { FROM = { martial = 15 } }
            }
Combined that could give a factor of 3.3 you know ;)

Something like this seems more logical:
Code:
modifier = {
    factor = 1.25
    FROMFROM = { martial = 10 }
}
modifier = {
    factor = 1.25
    FROMFROM = { martial = 15 }
}
modifier = {
    factor = 1.25
    FROMFROM = { martial = 20 }
}
modifier = {
    factor = 0.8
    FROM = { martial = 10 }
}
modifier = {
    factor = 0.8
    FROM = { martial = 15 }
}
modifier = {
    factor = 0.8
    FROM = { martial = 20 }
}

Minor update:
Martial skill added (now gives a minor bonus or malus :D)
Fixed the tournaments and war issue (thanks meneth)
Tall and lefthanded (VIET/PB VIET only) give a smaller bonus/malus
The way you implemented it now you get the same bonus all the way from 10+ Martial.
Get rid of the "NOT = { FROMFROM = { martial = 15 } }" bits and it'll make sense.

Edit: Looking at things you really only need these bits:
# Martial Skill
modifier = {
factor = 1.25
FROM = { martial = 10 }
}
modifier = {
factor = 1.25
FROM = { martial = 15 }
}
modifier = {
factor = 1.25
FROM = { martial = 20 }
}
One for each of the two win options, with FROM and FROMFROM respectively.

Fixed, I uploaded the wrong thing at first. I want a minor bonus only so it gives 1.1 for 10-15, 1.3 for 15-20, 1.5 for 20>. I don't want them to stack since it should be a really minor factor only.

The way I have it now, all other things being equal, martial skill will be the deciding factor - any trait makes more of a difference.
What I mean too is that these segments are pointless:
" modifier = {
factor = 0.8
FROM = { martial = 10 }
NOT = { FROM = { martial = 15 } }
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.85
FROM = { martial = 15 }
NOT = { FROM = { martial = 20 } }
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.9
FROM = { martial = 20 }
}"
Since FROM is already being checked in the other option, no?

Cool. I am still holding off fully updating the mod until ToG is out, I'm busy enough :D

The martial thing having an effect you convinved me on though and since I wanted to fix the tournament issue anyway, this was a quick fix.

Off the top of my head the only case where it checks both FROM and FROMFROM in a direct comparison is for the lefthanded trait, and that's because I want lefthanded to give an advantage only if the opponent is not also lefthanded.
Yeah. Edited it out as I noticed I was just slightly confused by it checking FROM for some things (E.G., Weak) while checking FROMFROM for other things (E.G., Strong).
I'm gonna continue my Castille game. If I see anything more silly I'll report and/or fix it.

@jordarkelf:
Have you considered making the duel results a bit less random? I've had a few people complain about losing despite having better traits and such than the opponent, which can definitely happen from time to time.
One way to reduce uncertainty would be to simply increase the modifiers across the board, so any difference would be magnified, thus making the results less random.
For example doubling the difference from 1 would work. So 1.5 would be come 2, while 3 would become 5, and so on.

What do you think, would that be a decent idea?

On a slightly different note, one change I'll make in the next version of PB:
Having the Agile or Perceptive trait now increases the chance of winning duels. Being ambidextrous now has the same effect as being left-handed on duels. Being absentminded now reduces the chance of winning duels

For ambidextrous I simply made it equivalent to left-handed. The other three I gave 1.5 modifiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.