• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they killed each other in a duel outside of war or a tournament, it's because one of the vanilla events.
I basically only replaced the vanilla duel event's random results with the DE so whether or not the liege is asked for permission I consider outside of the scope of the mod.

So how can we prevent this??? is there a way???
Thanks...

Would require adding a few new events to each duel event chain to check if either has a liege, have the liege decide, then either inform the vassal(s) that the duel was denied or allow it. Off the top of my head the feast and challenge rival duels already have such a check, not sure about the others (regent and tournament cheater).

Would require adding a few new events to each duel event chain to check if either has a liege, have the liege decide, then either inform the vassal(s) that the duel was denied or allow it. Off the top of my head the feast and challenge rival duels already have such a check, not sure about the others (regent and tournament cheater).

I see...So could you do that please???
Cause I think I will mess it more if I try to fix it myself???

I'll put it on the list. I'm pretty sure all duels which start out as duels to the death already have such a check, but since they can opt to go for blood during a duel a liege check is probably needed.
Thanks one more time...I appreciate it...:)

@jordarkelf:
Some changes I'm making to the Duel Engine in the next version of PB; they'd probably make sense in the duel engine itself as well:

Removed all random chances of injury or death in battle. This can now only happen via the Duel Engine
Made duels in combat slightly (25%) more likely
Being brave now makes duels in combat 50% more likely. Being craven makes duels half as likely

@jordarkelf:
Some changes I'm making to the Duel Engine in the next version of PB; they'd probably make sense in the duel engine itself as well:

Removed all random chances of injury or death in battle. This can now only happen via the Duel Engine
Made duels in combat slightly (25%) more likely
Being brave now makes duels in combat 50% more likely. Being craven makes duels half as likely
Nice...

BTW, really loving some of the results I'm getting thanks to this mod:
I was attacked while besieging some infidel city in the middle of Spain. I was outnumbered 6500 to 3500, and my reinforcements, 2000 mercs, were two provinces away.
In the battle I managed I engaged the leader of about half the enemy army. I was soon wounded, but refused to yield. Moments later I had killed him, taking his army out of the war, leaving me with 2500 enemies against my remaining 2000 men.
By the time it was down to 2000 vs. 1300, my mercs showed up. A few days after the battle was won.
A month or so later I was able to force my demands, gaining me another four provinces, further cementing my supreme position in Iberia.

@jordarkelf:
I think you might've messed up the Fighter trait gain a bit :p
4DpgCM8.jpg

Do you mean the low martial (10) skill or that she is a girl...??? Never understood why girls and women have martial traits...it was unthinkable for a woman to fight in Middle Ages...except Joan and 1 or 2 other extraordinary women...

Do you mean the low martial (10) skill or that she is a girl...??? Never understood why girls and women have martial traits...it was unthinkable for a woman to fight in Middle Ages...except Joan and 1 or 2 other extraordinary women...
Both really. Someone with a martial of 6 (before getting Formidable Fighter) really shouldn't be "one of the greatest warriors alive".
And of course, women reaching that stage should be incredibly rare.

It's because fighting skill is determined by education. Good martial education or fighting skill grants your wards fighting skill. Martial skill itself is actually not factored into the duels, you can be martial 30 and still die if you're untrained or poor.

Martial = leading soldiers, tactical and strategic skills
So you can be a great general but you suck in a sword fight or you can be great warrior but you do not know anything about leading your men to battle.

Both really. Someone with a martial of 6 (before getting Formidable Fighter) really shouldn't be "one of the greatest warriors alive".
And of course, women reaching that stage should be incredibly rare.
Maybe Jordarkelf separated martial skill with fighting skill like others said...But about the girl's martial skills I believe we should do something to prevent them...

Yeah fighting traits are different than martial skill, I never really touched the new traits. The original Duel Engine only used these four "fighter" traits, I changed it to also use the martial traits, duelist, and others (see duel.4).

But even in vanilla nothing blocks women from getting the martial education traits.

Honestly that's a legacy from the original Duel Engine, as it comes from the AGOT mod it is designed to allow for female commanders. Since one of the new duels I added is highly likely to have a female combatant (the regent duel for an underage or incapable ruler) and it doesn't otherwise hurt the game I never saw a reason to add a block for women.

I'll look into some change for the flavour text for the fighter traits, that should probably be enough.

--
In other words:

Martial skill is ignored for duels - someone with 30 martial is no better or worse than someone with 0 martial. Martial education and fighter education determine who has the advantage.

Currently nothing blocks women from getting either martial education (vanilla) or fighter education (Duel Engine).

Last edited:
Martial skill is ignored for duels - someone with 30 martial is no better or worse than someone with 0 martial. Martial education and fighter education determine who has the advantage.

Currently nothing blocks women from getting either martial education (vanilla) or fighter education (Duel Engine).
It seems silly that Martial would have no effect on combat. If you know how troops are led, then you know what your enemy is likely to do, so you're able to put up a better defense/offense.
It shouldn't have a huge effect perhaps, but it should probably have some.

I might add a small dependency on it, but it should be more so that a Brilliant Strategist or Formidable Fighter has a major advantage over a Misguided Warrior or Poor Warrior even if the latter has more martial skill.
Potential vs Education/Experience.

Something like this in duel.4 (FROMFROM wins, obviously the reverse for FROM wins):
Code:
			modifier = {
				factor = 1.1
				FROMFROM = { martial = 10 }
				NOT = { FROM = { martial = 5 } }
			}
			modifier = {
				factor = 1.5
				FROMFROM = { martial = 15 }
				NOT = { FROM = { martial = 10 } }
			}
			modifier = {
				factor = 2
				FROMFROM = { martial = 20 }
				NOT = { FROM = { martial = 15 } }
			}

I might add a small dependency on it, but it should be more so that a Brilliant Strategist or Formidable Fighter has a major advantage over a Misguided Warrior or Poor Warrior even if the latter has more martial skill.
Potential vs Education/Experience.

Something like this in duel.4 (FROMFROM wins, obviously the reverse for FROM wins):
Code:
            modifier = {
                factor = 1.1
                NOT = { FROM = { martial = 5 } }
            }
            modifier = {
                factor = 1.5
                NOT = { FROM = { martial = 10 } }
            }
            modifier = {
                factor = 2
                NOT = { FROM = { martial = 15 } }
            }
Combined that could give a factor of 3.3 you know ;)

Something like this seems more logical:
Code:
modifier = {
    factor = 1.25
}
modifier = {
    factor = 1.25
}
modifier = {
    factor = 1.25
}
modifier = {
    factor = 0.8
    FROM = { martial = 10 }
}
modifier = {
    factor = 0.8
    FROM = { martial = 15 }
}
modifier = {
    factor = 0.8
    FROM = { martial = 20 }
}

Minor update:
Martial skill now gives a minor bonus or malus when determining a round winner
Tournaments should now properly end on war (thanks meneth)
Tall and lefthanded (VIET/PB VIET only) give a smaller bonus/malus when determining round winner

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.