• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a very cool project zijlstark. I am very interested in seeing this further develop.

---

NEW VERSION OUT

No tournaments yet, sorry.
New in this version:

-Combat traits are now handed out in a new game within a day of starting to everyone aged 15 or up. Most people will get the starting trait "poor fighter", but people with good skills may still get a higher one.
-The VIET version now also takes VIET traits like agile and perceptive into account in handing out combat traits
-VIET traits effect on duels was overhauled
-The combat traits and the targeting trait should no longer be handed out at random to new characters, and are blocked from the customizer
-There is now a version compatible with CK2+, currently for version 2.06.3. Big thanks to minrog for doing the first version, I will try to keep it compatible in the future.
Would you happen to have the previous version at hand? It'd simplify me updating the integrated version in PB.

On a different note, I'm not sure I agree it is a good idea to give everyone a combat trait. It effectively reduces the number of levels of ability from 5 to 4, making it all a lot less granular.
It should also be noted that your event will result in men and women being equally skilled at combat. In Medieval times that makes very little sense.

Damn, I didn't think of that :(

But these are the changes to the base version:
common\traits\combat_traits.txt: customizer = no / random = no added to all
common\traits\targeting_traits.txt: customizer = no added
events\combat_trait_events.txt - 5550114 removed (was commented out), 5551199 added (new trait hand out event)

Additionally for VIET version:
events\combat_trait_events.txt - added VIET trait checks to 5550100, 5550101, 5550102, 5550103
events\duel_engine_events.txt: multiple events, changed trait checks
Thanks. Should be simple enough to do.
Due to my concerns voiced above I'll keep the PB version of the assignment for now.

Problem is though that in PB, If you start as someone like Alexios Komnenos, he has no combat skills as he has an economic education which doesn't really make sense. So in a dual he's toast.
Oh, I agree PB's solution isn't ideal either. It gives too few people combat traits.
NDE's solution gives too many people combat traits though.

I'll probably add some of the conditions from NDE's solution to PB's solution to create some sort of middle ground between the two.

For a next version I'll likely them only to leaders, once I figure out a good way to do it. Everyone with martial education and maybe based on some more traits.
It's very much a trick to find the optimal middle ground for gen 1.

Maybe something like this?
Code:
OR = {
    AND = {
        is_ruler = yes
        martial = 7
    }
    martial = 10
    in_command = yes
    trait = misguided_warrior
    trait = tough_soldier
    trait = skilled_tactician
    trait = brilliant_strategist
}
Would give it to any ruler with 7 or more martial, or to anyone with 10 martial, or any army commander, or anyone with a combat trait at all (yes probably a bit double check here but if you somehow get a non-martial army commander at game start they should know how to fight, right?)

I might add it to some other event, or create a new on_action one for it, at the moment though nothing can decrease combat traits other than old age and I want the system to be more dynamic. Craven seems to fit if only because it means that the character receiving it becomes frightened and runs from the battle, which could mean that they overestimated their combat skills.
Instead of using any_realm_character, just use any_realm_lord.

jordarkelf: Take a look at the system of assignment I coded for PB: https://github.com/Meneth/PB-git/commit/2ba25b65ae2779877c55e150607914e9a2557127
It uses a variable based on the traits of the character to assign the traits. It should assign them to any ruler in the game that is above baron level and is either Feudal or a Patrician, if my understanding of "any_playable_ruler" is correct. This includes children, but since they're unlikely to have many of the traits mentioned that shouldn't really cause any issues.

If it's ok with the mod author I'm gonna try to update his mod so we can have a port of the Agot duel system. I'll update this post if I get anywhere useful. Also, don't get your hopes too high i'm very nooby :rofl:
It wouldn't be hard to port the original duel system from agot so having to just update this should be super easy as most of the ground work is already there :D

This is ported from the original Duel System in AGOT. If Lux Invicta has the latest New Duel Engine in it, there was like one line in it I had to fix when I was fixing Lux events.
Sorry I meant that if he had to start all over again and take everything from AGOT and then modify it that it wouldn't be to hard as the things that need changing the most are just the modifiers and the deul outpts.

Currently testing the long requested feature to duel on demand. In the current implementation it is a decision that requires an existing rival, who will then get an event to accept or refuse (costing prestige).
In case both are vassals, both overlords will also need to give their permission (still tweaking this -- maybe I should tie it into crown laws so independent vassals don't need to?).

I may need to gate this so the AI doesn't use it since they are a little too eager to do so.

Also added the CTA distribution system from PB with some changes so more people get the traits at scenario start.
I did this in AGOT as a sub-mod and it is a relatively simple system using AGOT's personal interaction. Obviously this mod does't have that but you can easily substitute it by turning back on assassination in define.lua, changing the localisation of send assassin and make the on_action events from assassinations fire events asking the target if they want to duel which can have limits to determine whether they accept of not or if they lose prestige cause it can be an easy way rapidly decrease a target's prestige.

Imo if it ain't broke don't fix it, use the event targets in the future for things but cause this works we may as well leave it working

AGOT has a version which gives multiple duel options now, it would probably be only slightly more effort to de-Westerosify it again like in the EMF and CK2+ versions. But honestly if you are going to grab the duels then you may as well grab the other features from HIP or CK2+ and just use their mod

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.