National Ideagroups - 29th of October

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A bunch of romantist paintings are supposed to prove me wrong? Hilarious!

They had cavalry, yes, but it was small in numbers. They were best known for being infantry. If they used horses, it was just to trevel to the battlefield, like dragoons. And like dragoons in later times, they became light cavalry. And because they were known as light cavalry in 19th and 20th centuries, it doesn't mean they were cavalry originally.

interesting. could you link me to a source about their army? I looked up on the wiki : Zaporozhian_Cossacks although it does not say much about the army. it did knowledge about their fine infantrymen

interesting. could you link me to a source about their army? I looked up on the wiki : Zaporozhian_Cossacks although it does not say much about the army. it did knowledge about their fine infantrymen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_Cossacks#Organization
Here's a link for the army organization of the Cossacks under Poland. Says that they were mostly infantry who used their horse drawn wagons as battlefield forts but there was a minority of skilled light horsemen.

Ruthenian Ideas are somewhat wrong.
Zaporozhian Cossacks were good infantry, not cavalry. Please don`t confuse them with later Russian Don cossacks.

-Cossacs were infantry in Polish king`s army.
-Zaporozhian Cossacks employed elaborate infantry tactics with vagons similar to hussies.
-Zaporozhian Cossacks performed large number of raids by sea, where they obviously couldn`t take horses.
-during the Khmelnitskiy uprising, the major reason Zaporozhian Cossacks allied with Turks was their lack of cavalry.
-Zaporozhian Cossacks didn`t have a social structure to have a lot of cavalry, namely large income inequality.

It would be much more accurate to replace the cavalry bonus with infantry bonus.

edit: ninjad :ninja:

http://exlibris.org.ua/wijsko/ - Ivan Krypiakevych, "History of the Ukrainian Army" (1936)

Козацька кіннота не була найліпша. Боплян каже: «На коні вони не найліпші; мені траплялося бачити, як 200 польських кавалєристів примушувало втікати 2.000 найкращого козацького війська». Подібно висловлюється один поляк перед боєм під Берестечком: «Піше військо буде битися добре, але на комонник слаба надія: один добрий юнак може відігнати 10 кінних козаків». Тимто Хмельницький був примушений користуватися татарською кіннотою у битвах з поляками. Та пізніше козацька кіннота розвинулася досить сильно.

Cossack cavalry wasn't the best one. Boplan says: "They are not good in saddle; I've once seen 200 Polish cavalrymen routing 2.000 elite cossack troops". One Pole said something similar before the battle of Berestechko: "Infantry will fight well, but the cavalry is not to be counted on - one lad can deal with 10 mounted cossacks". That's why Khmelnytskyi was forced to use Tatar cavalry when fighting the Poles. Later though, Cossack cavalry developed quite well. (translation is mine - GS)

Last edited:
Well, forming Persia for it's amazing NI set (haha!) will be even more motivating!

I hope it was improved. Cause those 5% manpower recovery... They have decent ideas, but if generic ideas were buffed (for example, if they were doubled), there's no point in forming Persia.

So now that it's out... What was the point of giving Merchants steering towards inland to Guajiro (Arawak) ideas? There are no inland trade nodes anywhere in the New World, much less in South America.